Start by marking “I Formed A Band” as Want to Read:
I Formed A Band

I Formed A Band

10 years ago, with my friends, I formed a band called Art Brut. We have a new album out later this year. It has been quite a while since our last record. So, to get yourself reacquainted with us, I suggest you buy this book, my memoir.

I've spent the last three years writing 'I Formed a Band'. The story begins with me playing the vacuum cleaner on stage in Poole, and ends u
Paperback, First - limited to 500 copies, 384 pages
Published June 12th 2015 by Lo Fi Punk Rock Motherfucking Press

Nigeyb
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Look at me, I read a book

A self-published, crowd-funded memoir by Eddie Argos, the Art Brut mainman - it cost me £20 I think, but it was signed by Eddie and it came with its own bookmark and a nice badge. It also weighs a lot for a paperback. Whatever else you might say, Eddie did not stint on the GSM.

"I Formed A Band" is an undemanding, fun read which tells how Eddie did indeed form a band - Art Brut (among others) - which is just as well, as that is all he ever wanted to do and having burned a
Mike Cramer
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny throughout and touching at points. Eddie is charming but introspective, insecure without being self-hating. Much inside rock and roll, but not name dropping or aggrandizing. Lovely all around.
Emma Reed
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are even remotely interested in Eddie the man or Art Brut the band then the style and content will be to your liking.
Alex Sarll
My subconscious does a lot of my best work. Including, yesterday, my decision finally to get around to this, a book I'd been putting off for a while for fear of overlap with Eddie's one-man show of the same name, which I saw recently and at which I acquired my copy.
(I needn't have worried - the show does follow the same trajectory, but only covers the first quarter or so of the book)
Because, although my conscious mind was utterly oblivious to the timing until it happened, yesterday evening Eddie
Dan Coxon
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic memoir from Eddie 'Art Brut' Argos. Very funny, occasionally wise, always entertaining. Like eating a packet of Jammy Dodgers while listening to Appetite For Destruction. Deserves to become a classic!
Dana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Typos aside, I had a really fun time reading this. Eddie is wrong though - I would have loved reading more about how lovely Maximo Park are. I am also genuinely a bit worried about his drinking habit now.
Jack Silbert
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don’t remember how the band Art Brut entered my life a decade ago — did I read a review? did my friend Christine recommend them? — but that debut album, Bang Bang Rock & Roll, really did it for me. Soon my buddies Allan and Jim were fans too. Leader Eddie Argos wasn’t the most gifted singer ever (he basically spoke his way through songs), but he was smart and funny and represented us, the awkward boys. We all had an “Emily Kane” in our lives. Plus, the band rocked.

For reasons that also esc
Villate
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I do love me some Eddie Argos. It is a great regret of my life that I never lived anywhere I could see Art Brut when they were touring the States. My regret is not so great as my sister's, though - she saw them several times in Portland, Oregon, but her nerve always failed her and she could never do more than stare creepily at Eddie as he flogged t-shirts and CDs at the merch table. One day I will see Eddie Argos perform in some capacity, and in my sister's honor I will go up to him and shake hi ...more
Jon Chaisson
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hooray! The goofball leader of the band Art Brut tells his story on how he in fact formed the band, and all the ridiculousness that's part and parcel of the music business. Hilarious band trolling, stressful record label implosion, fan (and producer) squee, Man Chats, scheduled booze consumption, and everything in between. Never a dull moment for a guy who's still a bit surprised his childhood dream came true.
Joosep
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inglise-keeles
Art Bruti laulja memuaarid bändi tegemisest ja algusaastatest. Lõbusalt kirjutatud seigad enne Eddie tegemistest bändis. Alates hetkedest kuidas ta kartis, et bändi liikmed viskavad ta bändist välja, kui lõpuks kuulevad, mis häälega ta laulab, ning kuidas ta suutis ajakirjades teisi bände maha teha.
Michael Legge
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shame he dies in the end.
Alan Fricker
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
LFPRMF should perhaps proof read.
Adam Edwards
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely worth reading if you're a fan of Art Brut (I bloody love Art Brut).
Carla Burnett
Dougie
May 04, 2016
Richard Stokoe
Apr 22, 2016
Born in Weymouth, England, Argos later moved to Poole, Dorset as a young child, and has subsequently written about the Martin Kemp-Welch School there (now St Aldhelm's Academy), in the song "Martin Kemp-Welch Five-A-Side Football Rules!" from the album Brilliant! Tragic!.

Argos lives in Berlin with his partner and their son.

Argos is the lead singer of the rock band Art Brut, and sometimes plays the