Start by marking “Ruler of Beasts (Dorothy Must Die, #0.6)” as Want to Read:
Ruler of Beasts (Dorothy Must Die, #0.6)

Ruler of Beasts

(Dorothy Must Die 0.6)

Danielle Paige delivers a dark and compelling reimagining of a beloved classic, perfect for fans of Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Beastly by Alex Flinn, and Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

When the Cowardly Lion set off for the Emerald City in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with Dorothy and the others, he sought courage above all else. This digital original novella is the sixth installme
Published February 16th 2016 by HarperCollins

Candace Robinson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Return to Oz is my favorite movie ever! So, I was all about this one! Nome King, Yes! Deadly Deserttttttttt! I liked Ozma and Lion as a team!
Aurora
Aug 29, 2015 marked it as to-read
I know a lot of people are complaining about the number of novellas, but I personally like the chances to see the story from other character's perspectives. While the books themselves could have contained this info using multiple POVs, that easily could have gotten messy and confusing. Instead, each novella ties up nicely, telling the backstory and motives of several of the major characters in Oz's own "game of thrones".

Edit 11/14/15: Look at that gorgeous cover!
TJ✨
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
Catching up before I read Yellow Brick War

What I thought

I don't have much to say, but it was much better then most of the novellas. Im am wondering though, does this mean The Nome King is gonna be in Yellow Brick War? My Return To Oz fangirl heart is hoping so!

Bring on Yellow Brick War!!

Catherine ♡
This one was alright for me too - it wasn't anything spectacular but I did think that it was interesting, and we got to see more of what had happened between Ozma and Glinda.

For a book about the Lion, however, I don't think I got enough.
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.25/5

Review coming soon!
Daniel
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Baker St Shelves
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Danielle Paige continues to surprise me with her portrayal of Oz! I love how she tells a new story and at the same time manages to keep the original L. Frank Baum stories canon. Another thing I love is that these novellas tell us a backstory that we don't know all about, but each story gives us a little bit of info and makes us want more.
Tiffany
The Lion wasn't all that bad in this book. Self centered for sure but not evil.

I hope the Nome King comes back and wipes the floor with Dorothy! :)
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brrulerofbeasts
Finished reading: July 20th 2016
Rating 3,5qqq

“You are not Wicked, dear Lion. But sometimes you put what you want over what is good for Oz.”

(view spoiler)
Chelsea Gouin
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lion has been a fairly underwhelming character so far; I can't say he turned my opinion of him around completely with this novella but it did offer a lot of insight on Ozma. This takes place about a year after Glinda put Ozma on the throne. Ozma is much more independent than Glinda expects and gets kicked out of the Emerald City along with the Scarecrow. But Glinda isn't done scheming, she uses the Lion's boredom of his kingdom to exploit him to her plans. He's to infiltrate the palace to "p ...more
Taylor C
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving a higher rating to this novella from the series because it's actually not boring like some of the others. At first I thought, meh just another back story from the characters.
My thoughts shifted when the story was reaching it's middle!
Mainly the reason for the highest rating is the villain is (view spoiler)
Judah
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, oz
Some elements of the plot are borrowed from OZMA OF OZ.

Weirdly there’s a reference to Princess Langwidere, which in the DMD universe won’t exist until long after Dorothy’s return. Or did I miss something?
Nadia
I forgot how boring Ozma was but there it is.
Samantha
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
One word to sum this up: boring.

That is all.
Emily
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella want my favorite however it does explain a lot about the series. It reveals the true mastermind behind everything happening in Oz. Really a must read if you love the series’
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
This is post originally on Vivian's Book Pavilion

Now this was my favorite of them all. I like the plot twist, the storyline, and everything. Perhaps besides the ending…I can never understand which side Lion was on.
“You love the fight more than you love what you are fighting for. Be careful, here.”

Once again, Glinda appeared in Lion’s boring life and gave him a mission. Not mission impossible, but mission intolerable. Yet during Lion’s time with Ozma, he gradually like the princess an
Alexander
This is the 6th prequel to the Dorothy Must Die series.

This book gives you background in the Lion and even more background on Glinda, Ozma, and the Gnome King.

The books tells you how Ozma and the Lion become friends and how Glinda try's to end Ozma's rule.

The book is not as action packed as the other prequels but it is still as nice story and yet again show cases Ms. Paige's writing style.

After reading all of the prequels to the series I would definitely recommend them to anyone before the re
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, young-adult
Another novella about post-Wizard Oz, this time from the Cowardly Lion's point of view.

It's not a great story, but at least it's not as disgusting as the psychopathy exposed in the Scarecrow's and Tin Man's versions.

Lion makes a deal with Glinda, not good at all in these novels, and goes on an adventure with Ozma to head off an army heading to the Emerald City.

The books with Amy, the new girl from Kansas recruited by the Wicked Witches, makes for a much more entertaining story, but Ruler of Be
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 4.25

This was a great read. This is my favourite novella of the Dorothy Must Die series. I loved how Danielle Paige writes the classic story in an inventive way. In this novella, the life of Lion and how his story lead to main series. I found this story more engaging than the last two. I can't wait to read The End of Oz. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Zara Arshad
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella is a getting-to-know to Ozma, the sweetie-pie and the mystery of how the shoes came to be is somewhat solved for us.
I would love to know more about the Land of Ev that we have introduced in this story. Sounds intriguing.
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this novella way better than the other two. This one actually showed me just how greedy and evil the Lion really was. It also showed Glinda's true colors. Cant wait for the last book. I hope the pink witch gets it, and Dorothy too.
Shelbie Ammirati
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was one of the better ones, though I hate how they all get pouty and become dedicated to Glinda and Dorothy when something instantly doesn't go their way. Be your own person damn it!

I need more novellas though!!!!
Jacquelyn
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
"I thought you were supposed to be the good witch?" Glinda is so evil. What happened to the cheery lady in pink. Gone is the Glinda I remember from the Wizard of Oz. Ahh,the Nome King and the Wheelers!!! I keep picturing the Wheelers from the movie Return to Oz. They were so CREEPY!!!
Snogged
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the relationship between the Lion and Ozma, but wasn't impressed with this one overall. I think there might be such a thing as too many prequels.
Emerald Sue
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novellas
“You love the fight more than you love what you are fighting for”
Elizabeth Drake
It is amazing how Paige uses these novellas to make the reader emphasize with characters who are so incredibly deplorable in the regular series.
Jess
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite installments in the whole novella series. Fast paced and a good story overall. The ending was sad in a way.
Zachary Flye
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER WARNING: So I wrote this while very tired, still a little tired, and there are mild/medium level spoilers in this review. I'll try and come back and edit this review later so there are as few spoilers as possible, but I'm kind of going to pass out right now.

Review:

Protagonist: Lion is bored, after the excitement of confronting General Ginger, all Lion wants is something to do and a purpose in his life. Enter the puppet master, Glinda, who asks Lion to watch over Ozma and try and find a l
Emily Degnitz
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series was like a darker, twisted version of "The Wizard of Oz" series by L. Frank Baum. In this series, Dorothy isn't the sweet, young girl we loved from the book and movie, and the characters that you thought were good aren't as innocent as they seem. Greed and power are two major components of this series. The one bad thing about this series was that there was no clear order in which to read the novellas and books, so I ended up reading the novellas first, followed by the books. I'm not ...more
Madison
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Happy to say that this novella gets four stars from me! I was leaning towards three stars, but decided to cut it slack after realizing that this was probably the most effective novella from the trio. We do see how the Lion acts in his kingdom beforehand, and see the reasoning behind the ultimate change. The change is the least inspired by magic, but there was something appeasing about that as well.
I'm also hoping that the Nome King will be returning in one of the future books. That would make th
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
ALL Dorothy Must ...: The Ruler of Beasts General Discussion 1 1 Jul 17, 2018 06:39PM
ƊƠƦƠƬӇƳ MƲƧƬ ƊƖЄ: Ruler of Beasts 8 17 May 16, 2017 06:45PM

• The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle #1)
  • Blackwood (Hexed, #0.5)
  • I AM
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • How Nina Got Her Fang Back (Accidentals #13)
  • Bright Thrones (Court of Fives, #2.5)
  • The Rebel (The Maeve'ra, #1.5)
  • Queen of Ashes (Blood of Gods and Royals, #0.6)
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • No Intention of Dying (The Internment Chronicles, #1.5)
  • The Grand Hotel
  • Other Worlds
  • The Emerald City of Oz
  • Unleashed (Unremembered, #2.5)
  • The Girl in the Gray Sweatshirt (Immortal Game, #0.5)
  • Earth 2788 (Earth Girl, #0.25)
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed: Marco's Story (The Dispossessed, #1.5)
  • The Heart Collector
Danielle lives in NY. Before turning to YA, she worked in television & was nominated for several Daytime Emmy's. Dorothy Must Die is her first novel.

Dorothy Must Die (4 books)
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)
  • Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)
“You love the fight more than you love what you are fighting for” 2 likes