Start by marking “Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts (Stick Dog, #5)” as Want to Read:
Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts (Stick Dog, #5)

Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts

(Stick Dog #5)

The popular Stick Dog series continues in Tom Watson's hilarious Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts!

Stick Dog and his team of strays are off on another outrageous canine caper. To snatch some breakfast treats for his hungry pals, Stick Dog will need to stop a moving truck, outfox a man on a telephone pole, and calm down a very caffeinated Karen. But that's not all. He'll
Published January 5th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts

Start your review of Stick Dog Tries to Take the Donuts (Stick Dog, #5)
Carol Royce Owen
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a popular series with my third and fourth grade students, but whereas I used to enjoy reading them, this one kind of bothered me. Although the other dogs (Karen, Mutt, Poo-Poo and Stripes) have always questioned some of Stick Dog's decisions, I've never noticed them being outright rude to him, but in this book they were. Condescending is a better term to use here, and it was very unbecoming in the story.
I also was bothered by how selfless Stick Dog would be, and yet it was never
Nathan C.
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
The story “Stick Dog Tries to take the Donuts” by Tom Watson is about when Stick Dog and his friends are arguing, when they notice a man in the distance. Stick Dog and his stray dog friends a Dalmatian named Stripes, a Dachshund named Karen, a mutt named Mutt, and a Poodle named Poo-Poo sneak around an electrician. Stick Dog and his friends find a box with some delicious donuts inside. They grab one of the donuts out of the electrician's truck. They go on a quest to get more donuts from the ...more
Rebecca
I read this book for school and was mildly surprised and impressed.

A book within a book.

Tom Watson is the author/creator/narrator of this illustrated story.

Stick Dog appears as the simplest of hand drawn illustrations, but his character is well defined and balanced.

Leading a crew of misfits and strays, Stick Dog uses his senses, careful observations and interpersonal skills to solves problems (how to find food?), to lead his gang and to develop the confidence and friendships of his gang.

Christine Rains
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stick Dog and his buddies are hungry. Really hungry. There's nothing in the trash and no one barbecuing in the park. But what's on that truck with the strange metal arm? A box of delicious circles.

I'm reading these books with my seven year old son, and he's loving them. Stick Dog is one clever canine, and I know why the dogs want to do anything for donuts. Yum! It's funny when Karen drinks the coffee. Great series.
Josephine
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stick Dog and his band of strays are off on another canine caper. This time it’s donuts. Oh and after Karen drinks a super sized coffee it’s a task to calm down a very caffeinated Karen. But that's not all. He'll also need to manage the greatest confrontation in history when his good friend Poo-Poo comes face-to-face with the ultimate enemy: a squirrel!
Kashmala
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think it was the best one so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(:
Ruth Ann
Sep 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: juvenile
My favorite part of this book was when Karen drank all the coffee. A dog overloaded with caffeine made for some silly sentences and images in my brain. Also I liked that Poo-Poo took the "high road" when confronting a squirrel in a tree.
Megan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kaylas-books
Funny and cute
Nathan Donovan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good I wanted to eat a chocolate donut when I was done.
PWRL
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Ms. Reed
A funny book with silly doggies!
Lila
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love this book because there is this dog named Jeff (I think) and he farts on donuts.
Ella
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like stick because there are funny charters
Griffin
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What mom? No i wanted orange juice not water! who are you donald trump?
Ms. Yingling
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central

With autumn approaching, food is scarce for Stick Dog and his friends. Since they can't climb trees and get apples from the orchard, they must forage the best they can, but all they can find is rubber gloves and balls, which Poo-Poo thinks are food and the rest do not. When they see a man working on utility poles take a box out of his truck, the dogs investigate whether the deflated ball looking objects are edible. Karen also discovers the man's coffee
Kosta
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children love this book. My 10 year old daughter has already read the stick dog series prior to this book, but my 6 year old son had not. They love this book - it's funny, simple, and has hand-drawn pictures scattered throughout the book which breaks up the text and makes it manageable, particularly for my 6 year old. It's easy to read a chapter (or half of one) each night at bedtime, and then talk about the cleverness of Stick Dog (the main character). I am looking forward to reading more of ...more
Liz
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fourth-grade
10th read aloud of 2015-2016 and the third Stick Dog book I've read. I thoroughly enjoy these books for three reasons. 1. The vocabulary is awesome. While these books are basically about a group of dogs trying to steal food, Tom Watson uses a lot of sophisticated and interesting language. 2. The author totally captures the essence of dogs and I'm always making connections to my own hairy hooligans. And 3. These books are laugh-out-loud ridiculous. Of all the books I've read this year, this had ...more
Ellen Zarate
A group of dogs who are all friends and who have wonderfully distinct and complementary personalities work together to face life's challenges in this series. In this book, they discover the yummy goodness of donuts and coffee, and their ability to satisfy hunger. The book wraps up with a successful team effort to attain ever-illusive apples that hang just out of reach. Fans of "Wimpy Kid" and "Dork Diaries" will enjoy these.
Chris Shumate
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stick Dog is a fun read for early readers

Stick Dog and his friends are on a mission for food, what better food than donuts and coffee. This book will make your child laugh as well as you at the antics of Stick Dog and his gang. The illustrations fit well with the story even though they aren't too intricate.
Anna
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This one really bothered me, more than the previous books in the series. I didn't like the way the dogs treated the human. I didn't like how the relationship between Stick Dog and his friends was portrayed. There is much less empathy shown in this book, even with a lesson that gets thrown in there.
Readfiend
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilarious fun! Stick Dog and his friends are after a tasty breakfast. Their encounters with others as they try to meet their goal are funny and sure to be enjoyed by young readers. My students love this series!
Suzanne
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another silly Stick Dog romp that had my 7 year old shaking her head and giggling at the crazy ideas of the dogs in the story. Nothing like a caffeinated weiner-dog or a dog using a bucket truck to bring on the giggles- the fun stick illustrations help as well
Rayna
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun story with Stick Dog and his friends. My son (9 yrs) and I really enjoyed listening to the audio of this book. We laughed and loved rooting for the Stick Dog Gang. After listening to this book we began making up stories about our own dog and her secret (imagined?) life. :)
Jill
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Doesn't get much better than Stick Dog, the gang, donuts, and coffee!
Anne Counoupas
DRA 38. Cute story, lots of very advanced vocabulary. Great vocab for a read aloud, a real challenge (sometimes to the point of frustration) for a child reading this book on their own.
Chris
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Stick Dog all the way.
Kelly Carey
I still get frustrated by Stick Dog's friends and their lack of common sense. Fans of Loser List might like this series. Also, I am a bit excited to see how the next book, Stick Cat turns out.
Steph
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I just don't laugh out loud during this series anymore. Bummer.
majere
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: varun-read
Dustin
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love all the stick dogs in the world I also love these books: Story thieves series, Mouse Heart is the best book in the whole world I would recamand it to the whole world.

• Big Nate Blasts Off (Big Nate Novels, #8)
  • Max and the Midknights
  • Game On! (Big Nate)
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • The Odds of Getting Even (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #3)
  • I Totally Funniest: A Middle School Story (I Funny, #3)
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood
  • The Basque Dragon (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #2)
  • Football Hero (Football Genius, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #2)
  • The Last Kids on Earth and the Nightmare King (Last Kids on Earth, #3)
  • The Lemonade Crime (The Lemonade War, #2)
  • Million-Dollar Throw
  • The Magic Trap (The Lemonade War, #5)
  • Code of Honor (Bravelands, #2)
  • The Candy Smash (The Lemonade War, #4)
  • The Treasure Seekers (Thea Stilton and the Treasure Seekers #1)
  • Please Don't Eat the Children (Secrets of Dripping Fang, #7)
Tom is the author and draws the original sketches for all the Stick Dog stories. He lives in Chicago with his wife, daughter and son. They also have a dog named Shadow. Tom did not want to name the dog Shadow. He wanted to name him ‘Put Your Shirt On.’ It’s a long story. Sometimes when Tom is visiting schools, he shares the story.

Tom’s first jobs out of college were in politics. He worked for U.S.

Stick Dog (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Stick Dog (Stick Dog, #1)
  • Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog (Stick Dog, #2)
  • Stick Dog Chases a Pizza (Stick Dog, #3)
  • Stick Dog Dreams of Ice Cream (Stick Dog, #4)
  • Stick Dog Slurps Spaghetti (Stick Dog, #6)
  • Stick Dog Craves Candy (Stick Dog, #7)
  • Stick Dog Crashes a Party (Stick Dog, #8)
  • Stick Dog Gets the Tacos (Stick Dog, #9)
  • Stick Dog 3-Book Collection: Stick Dog, Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog, Stick Dog Chases a Pizza
  • Stick Dog Taster