Start by marking “The Sea Queen (The Dark Queens, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sea Queen (The Dark Queens, #1)

The Sea Queen

(The Dark Queens #1)

Calypso, Queen of the Seas, is mad. Spitting mad. Ghosts of the dead are fouling her waters. She wants this problem fixed, and she wants it fixed now. Rushing off in search of Hades, Lord of the Underworld, to demand answers, she’s soon shocked to discover him bound and standing trial before a jury of his peers—for nothing less than murder.

Calypso normally despises the b
Published June 15th 2015 by FairyTale Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Sea Queen, please sign up.

Vanessa Princessa
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Greek mythology and ladies, who love gentlemen
Recommended to Vanessa by: Mirou
This book is definitely 5 stars. When I read the first 15 pages, I was a little bit disappointed, because I had expected something different. I thought that Calypso was incredibly stupid and I got mad.

Calypso: "I waved a hand, shushing him instantly.
- I'm here to see Hades. He does still live here, right?"

Me: NO, he obviously got bored of the Underworld and instead took off for Hawaii...

It was like...Alexa Riley met the Greek mythology.
I love the Greek mythology SO SO MUCH!

And even though I`ve r
Vicki
Well ..... if I could have given this book no stars I would have.

I downloaded this book purely on impulse, as I thought the cover was absolutely beautiful. This was definitely a lesson to 'not judge a book by it's cover'. It was also available for free with my Kindle Unlimited trial ... so at least I didn't waste any money on it.

I pretty much have nothing positive to say about it so will keep this brief. The writing is dreadful, with an appalling use of slang and other ridiculous made up words.
Megan (Ginger Mom)
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Calypso and Hades are the new power couple!

I loved everything about this book! I picked it up because I needed a book told from a villain's perspective. Hades is definitely a "villain" and Calypso is described as mad. But I quickly fell in love with Caly and "Death Boy". Calypso is also so naive when it comes to love...and talking in general. I loved listening to the hilarious things that came out of her mouth! This book was entertaining with every turn of the page! I am eager to continue the se
Bárbara
Sep 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
No, no and no! There is no way I'm finishing this book. The writing and dialogue are cringe worthy.
Candace Tidwell
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is fun and hilarious. That's the only way I can describe it. The storyline is somewhat easy going, besides the fact of Calypso and every other god having a short temper. There was only small temper tantrums to contend with and maybe a few threats of torture for a millennia. You know, nothing intense.
I truly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Alaina
I loved this book so much. 100 points to Calypso and Hades!

The Sea Queen was one of those books that I was supposed to BR last month but never found time to. Luckily, I found some this month. I'm so happy that I dove into this book because it was hilarious. The love between Calypso and Hades was real and I'm so happy that they found happiness.

Now Calypso is the one person you don't want to piss off. She's such a bad ass and super powerful. I loved her. Mostly because of her name because that was
Lakshmi C
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Im a moody reader and the blurb made me think, lets try this.

The story is narrated by Calypso and Hades and both had distinct voices.
Calypso was a primordial Goddess, stronger and older than most Gods and Goddesses. She had a modern, sarcastic voice and a hippocampus as her companion. ( I don't know why I kept picturing underwater feminine hippos as I read it )

She was a curious mix of old and new, innocent and wise. She can take any form she wants but is trying to learn the ways of humans after
Jessi
The Sea Queen is not an easy one for me to review.

First off, I am absolutely IN LOVE with the cover. It's amazing!

This is the first book I have read by Jovee Winters. I had a really difficult time immersing myself in Kingdom. I love a good book laced with witty banter and silly one-liners but that being said I found it hard to take seriously. Getting through the first half was a struggle for me.

But in the second half when we meet the true, intelligent and ancient Calypso, it was much easier to
Nicole Heffernan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Note: I received a copy of this book in return for my honest review.
I’ve read books by this author in the past…but have really felt a stronger appreciation for her after reading this book.
Firstly- if you’ve read any books from the previous series situated in this Universe (Kingdom Series, The Dark Princesses) you are in the loop as to what kind of world has been created for this amazing story to take place. IF you’re new and just checking out this book and are on the fence: you won’t be disappo
Mercè
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was a disaster from beginning to end. The portrayal of the characters is poorly done and has nothing to do with Greek mythology, in my opinion.
The worst thing is that I felt like the plot was decorating the sex scenes, which were clearly the purpose of this whole thing (and weren't too good actually).
There's close to no character development. Like, one day Calypso, a virgin goddess awakes, sees "hawt Hades" and decides she wants to have him. And we have to believe that the sum of those se
Biate
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh, Im in love with the "Bubble But" or better known as Hades. :-)

In the mythical world where anything is possible love can be found in the most unlikely of partners.
The story of Caly and Hades swept me away on a tide of giggles, hilariously bad idioms, love and passion.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but wow am I glad picked this up.I loved every moment of it! I just cant seem to stop smiling like an idiot.
Lisa
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Different than expected

I had huge hopes for this, and I don't know if it was my mood or the book but I was overall disappointed. Maybe I expected, a darker and deeper story, Calypso is a tale that's not done often and this was just a very light fluff read. I will continue and see what the rest of the series holds. But I have to say the covers for these books are gorgeous.
Rebecca
I have reread and re reviewed this book on 16th May 2018

This book was even better if possible on a second reading, there were references to things in this book that I only understood after I'd reread it and it made it so much more worthwhile.

The main characters are Calypso and Hades. Calypso is an ancient virgin goddess who takes a particular fancy for Hades while he stands trial. She brings him to her underwater palace where she intends to force him to be her sex slave but instead she catches
Calypso, virgin Goddess of the Sea, is inspired by the relationship that her daughter-in-law has with her son. Specifically, she is interested in enjoyable sex (she's birthed all her children without involving sex, because hey, she's a goddess). When she stumbles into a confrontation of the Greek Gods who are accusing Hades of killing Persephone, she sees an opportunity. She convinces them to allow her to incarcerate the hotty Hades under the sea while they investigate his guilt. She plans to ma ...more
Christine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a fast-paced story which includes an insta-attraction between the two characters. I am actually glad for this matter since there are fewer fillers and all.
What I liked about this book:
>I love the personalities of all character, especially with Calypso. I adore Janita just as much as Calypso.
>The narration is easy to follow. (Told in first person perspective.)
>The smut read was ok but it was still fun.
On the other hand:
I think the story revolves too much around Calypso which the
Shantavia
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Source: I own
Format: Kindle

This book was so fun to read to me. I know there are a lot of bad reviews about this book, but I went into it knowing what to expect so I enjoyed it. This was basically an erotica novel told in the perspective of the gods and goddess. We follow Calypso who is the goddess of the water and she is a virgin, but she wants to change that. When Hades is about to be punished for a crime, Calyspo decided to take him and make him her sex slave. So the book is basically full of
John
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Although there were some really interesting premises in this book...I never felt like the story line ever felt fully developed. Yes, there was a beginning and an end. However, all the stuff in the middle was just kinda jumbled with the sex scenes. I know there was a wonderful mystery in there somewhere...but without making some huge deductions on my own, it would have been lost. This is book one in the Dark Queens series...and I'm gonna give book 2 a chance. Let's hope it get's better.
Elsa Carrion
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like mythology, check out this book. It's funny and it's pretty fast read. I love all the sarcasm which had me cracking up and I couldn't help but love the main characters Hades and Calypso / Thalassa. Who would have thought Lucifer/Hades was capable of such things!!
Kelly
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

This book was a quick read for me. In this book, you get to see Calypso and Hades get really close and fall in love with each other. There are some smut scenes in there since Calypso is more than ready to have sex for the first time and no longer be a virgin. When she sees him, she becomes possessive and wants him immediately. This book was also funny at times (Calypso being the main reason here).
Colleen Vanderlinden
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, obviously I have this deep, abiding love for modern twists on the Greek gods, and Jovee Winters did a fabulous job making Calypso and Hades very real, even while infusing both with the type of majesty only a god could possess. Calypso's confused phrases, her open, honest attitude, and the way all of that plays against the fact that she's one of the most powerful things in existence (and she knows it) just made me absolutely adore her.

And Hades... Hades was perfect. Of course.

They really were
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was awful, sorry. The writing, the characters and the whole story were so weird.
I didn't like it.
Not gonna finish this. 🤷🏻♀
Tiera McMillian
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. Really enjoyable read with a awkward, naive, not the most eloquent, and absurdly funny FMC. Honestly, despite the story lacking much action and adventure, it was very entertaining. I think the author did a great job making the Greek mythology all her own.

Our FMC, Calypso, elemental goddess of water, finds herself coming to the rescue of Hades, after millennia of wanting nothing to do with the Greek gods and goddesses. I have to admit that it felt like we were jumping into something mid seri
Bitchin' Reads
I stopped reading 25% into it, and I decided I just couldn't do it. I have deemed it a DNF and I won't be returning to it. This is the only book I have read by this author, and I would be willing to check out another book of hers, but if they are written anything like this one...Dang, I have to say I just don't like this specific author's style of story telling.

I also came into this having read a lot of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books, which is why I even downloaded the ebook for The Sea Queen. Unfortu
BigComfyChairBookReviews
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
The lame title and bad reviews should've given me a hint
Yikes... I try really hard to not read any book that I think will earn less than 3-star rating, and of the 120 books I read in 2017 this was only my 2nd book under 3-stars. The blurb and many positive reviews tricked me into hoping I might like this. I didn't mind the amount of sex but the writing felt juvenile. The way Calypso speaks is infuriating. I found myself getting into the fantasy of the story only to be ripped out every time calyp
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty, funny and most enjoyable characterisation. Easy and light reading a bit on the naughty side. Loved this entertaining take on Greek mythology.
James Walker
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugh love me some Greek mythology fantasy
Andrea
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sea Queen is a hilarious book and if you like mythology, check this out. It's funny and it's a pretty fast read. I found Calapyso's attempts at slang/language endearing.
Laura Greenwood
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it

Title: The Sea Queen
Series: The Dark Queens (#1)
Author: Jovee Winters
From: Amazon
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: 15th June 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge , Winter COYER 2015 - 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Calypso has lived a reclusive life for many years, away from the other Gods, Goddesses and their politics. That is until her waters are filled with the ghosts of the dead. Upon arrival in the Underworld she discovers Hades in chains
Mandy
Ghosts of the dead have filled Calypso's waters sending her racing into Hades realm where the gates of hell are closed. She finds that Hades is being accused of murdering Persephone which will give Zeus the upper hand to his brother. Seeing Hades as more than a god she seems him as an end to her virgin goddess card. After all, it's only two weeks while Themis decides if he is guilty perfect for what Calypso has planned.

Returning to her waters with Hades as her prisoner she's determined to take
Elliot A
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
What a naughty story.

When I began reading this story I was unaware that it also contained quite a bit of erotica, but I was fascinated by the author’s skill of creating such a compelling main character.

The protagonist was funny, feisty, funky and frisky. She had a great sense of humour that breathed a breath of fresh air into the sometimes very stifling and stiff genre of erotica (anyone remember Fifty Shades of Grey?).

Of course her love interest was a perfect specimen of a male; tall, dark, h
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Pirate's Dream (Kingdom Series, #11)
  • Loving a Fairy Godmother (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #1)
  • Hear Me When the Sun Goes Down (Forged Bloodlines, #6)
  • Siren's Treasure (Dark Seas #2)
  • Sea Bride (Children of the Waves, #1)
  • Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2)
  • One Wilde Night (Immortal Vegas, #0.5)
  • Revelation of Blood  (Skye Morrison, #5)
  • Justice (Galilee Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • Slay Belles (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7.5)
  • Claimed (Demon's Mark, #5)
  • Goons 'n' Roses (Chanel, #2)
  • Falling into Place (Others of Edenton, #3)
  • Obsession (Parish Secrets, #2)
Jovee Winters is the pen name for a USAT Bestselling author of twisted fairy tale romances.

The Dark Queens (8 books)
  • The Passionate Queen (The Dark Queens, #2)
  • The Ice Queen (The Dark Queens, #3)
  • The Magic Queen (The Dark Queens, #4)
  • The Dark Queen (The Dark Queens, #5)
  • The Fairy Queen (The Dark Queens, #6)
  • The Centaur Queen (The Dark Queens, #7)
  • The Bewitching Queen (The Dark Queens Book 8)
“Or one time, I’d even managed to restrain my violent temper when a pack of bawdy sailors had kidnapped one of my sea maidens, attempting to rape her. Instead of following my first inclination of sinking their ship, opening up a fissure in the earth so that lava spewed up from its guts and boiled them alive, I instead chopped off their balls, boiled them in onion water, and fed them to Bruce, my pet great white. I was rather proud of myself for that level of restraint.” 12 likes
“To live a life well, to have no regrets, be you fish, maiden, or even a damnable legger. To close your eyes and know that there was peace in the beyond and to smile because now the pain would soon be over and there’d be nothing more beyond that but joy. Yes, there was beauty in death.” 9 likes