Start by marking “Hello, World! Solar System” as Want to Read:
Hello, World! Solar System

Hello, World! Solar System

(Hello, World!)

Every young child loves to look up at the moon in the night sky. Now here's a Hello, World! board book that can teach toddlers all about the sun, moon, stars, and planets--with colors, shapes, sizes, and super-simple facts.

Hello, World! is a series designed to introduce first nonfiction concepts to babies and toddlers. Told in clear and easy terms and featuring bright,
Board Book, 26 pages
Published March 8th 2016 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hello, World! Solar System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, World! Solar System

Start your review of Hello, World! Solar System
J Austill
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
A rather unfortunate outing. While I certainly understand what the publisher was going for, they should have found a writer a bit more knowledgeable and up to date about the planets in our solar system. While I might agree that a book should be simple and colorful when targeting a young audience, it should still be factually correct and this was published in 2016, so there is no excuse for outdated information.

My daughter found this at the local library, and I read it to her there. I am glad
David H.
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I only read this one once; will have to report back.
Jamie
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Great for the littles!
Chinook
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, kait
I really like the colourful illustrations in this one. It contains just enough interesting facts about the planets without being overwhelming for littles.
Natasha
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kai-reads-0-3
This is a lovely little books filled with interesting tit bits about our solar system. I'm not sure who loved it more, me or Kai, because there was so many little facts that I myself did not know. It was fun learning adventure for the whole family and Kai had no problem retaining the information because it comes in easily digestible bite-sized pieces. I don't love the illustrations but it wasn't bad and Kai didn't mind. Also, Pluto is still classified as a planet in the book so minus one star ...more
gina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
So cute. Loved reading something non fiction that was a board book with my son! It didn't hold his attention as long as some others (that he demands night after night) but he did want to read it several times before it went back to the library.
Sara Grochowski
So excited about this new Hello, World! board book series. There is a HUGE need for nonfiction board books; I'm asked about them all the time!
Alma Olague
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the solar system to provide basic understanding of it to kids. It describes how far they are from the sun and the colors and temperatures. It also gives the names of them in order so that kids learn it. This book gives specific details of the planets so that they are easy to visualize and remember.
The illustrator did a good job at making this book kid friendly. The pictures are drawn so that the colors are more vibrant. There are also little details that could excite kids
Kyle Sweezy
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
1. This book has not received any awards from what I found.

2. This book is appropriate from grades Pre-K to First.

3. Hello, World! Solar System is a board book that allows young readers to explore the Solar System. The book starts out by telling the reader to look up at the sky and proceeds to give facts about each planet such as their placement from the Sun and their material. The book ends with a question that asks "Where would you like to go first?" with a colorful illustration of all of the
Serena Wheatley
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, artist
This book is all about the solar system, as you can probably infer from the title. The eye catching cover with colored fonts is what makes this book one that stands out. The book is clear and concise, colorful, and grabs the attention of kids. The book gives facts easy enough for children to understand what the solar system is and how it works. The illustrations are well done and the fact that the colors are so vivid is what keeps the child interested in the informational aspect of the book.

I
Kaela Huber
Hello, World! Solar System by Jill McDonald
•Summarize the book
oThis book is about the solar system in a way that toddlers and young children can learn about it. It asks questions about where is a certain color planet or where is the one with the ring and then tells the name of the planet.
•Identify the characteristics from the text that support the specific genre
oThis book is an informational book because the book is accurate with information and appealing to the targeted age group.
•Identify
Peri Wildcatt
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is fun way to teach children about the solar system. Each page has a different planet, and tells what makes each planet unique. This is a great informational book for children. The colors make it fun to look at and the vocabulary isn't advanced so it is an easy read. The font of the book is also fun and makes the book more entertaining. And the at the end it says "The solar system is an exciting place! Where would you like to go first?" I think this is cool because it makes children ...more
Nicole Keenan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I selected this non-fiction book due to my interest in the solar system. This book is very informative. This book teaches children about the sun,moon, stars and planets. The book explains these topics in very simple terms so it can target the primary aged children. Children see the sun, stars and moon every day so I think it is important for them to know information about the solar system. The pictures in the book are very colorful and grab your attention keeping you interested throughout the ...more
Nicole
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards:
Grade level: K-1st
Summary: The reader follows the narrator on a tour of the solar system, give the reader little facts all the planets and what makes them unique. The reader learns facts on how Mars has giant volcanoes and that Jupiter is both the largest and stormiest planet. This tour gives reader a large amount of interesting facts about the various planets.
Review: This story is illustrated beautifully and uses many different strategies in the layout of the texts. This allows the
Jake Delaney
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This book is about the solar system and the planets. It goes through each planet, saying each name and giving a brief description of each one. It also talks about other things in space too, such as the moon, the sun, and asteroids. I really enjoy this book because it is a great way to teach young students about the solar system. The text is very simple and easy to understand and also has great illustrations to show each thing that it talks about too. This book is very engaging for readers and ...more
Monica Lomeli
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Impression: The text talk to the young readers asking them question if they know which planet is which.
Impact: Light hearted and creative for very young readers to start understanding what the solar system is.
Constructive Opinion: Like! Perfect book for parents and children to read together.
Two Literary Elements: Readings talk to kids by asking question and telling them "Good Job that's the Moon or the Sun". Writing is in between planets flying in the solar system.
Two Design Elements: Cut out
Halle Smith
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hello, World! Solar System is a great informational book for children wanting to learn more about the planets. This book explains that the we see the sun during the daytime and that it is the center of the solar system. Mercury is the closet, Venus is the brightest, Earth is the third planet from the sun, Mars has giant volcanoes, Jupiter is the largest, Saturn has rings, Uranus is made of ice crystals, Neptune is dark and cold, and Pluto is the farthest. It even talks about the starts and the ...more
Melanie Jackson
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
"Hello, World! Solar System" is a book all about what we see in our sky. The book goes through each aspect (moon, sun, planets, etc.) and gives a fact about each one and includes a picture.

Evaluation:
This book is super fun for young children. The facts are interesting and the pictures are colorful and cute. I would definitely recommend this book to any young students wanting to learn about the solar system.

Teaching Point:
This would be a great book to introduce the topic of the solar
Marissa Brown
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great informational, nonfiction book about the solar system. It is very simple which is good because a wide variety of ages can understand and comprehend complex ideas that fit without solar system, it puts it into very simple terms. Also, the illustrations are super cool and add to the effects and the true facts that our solar system is indeed very cool and complex. I would pair this book with the picture book The Darkest Dark, by Chris Hadfield. This is a fiction book but ...more
Cassie
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely, solid board book. The illustrations are very simple, bright, and eye catching. Very tiny children can have fun pointing at the stars, and naming colors and shapes, and older ones can absorb some of the simple facts in the book. I understand where some people are coming from with the inaccuracy of some illustrations and including Pluto without mentioning other dwarf planets—however, I think it can be excused due to the fact that this is clearly a very basic introduction to the concept ...more
Jami Brown
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hello, World! is an easy to understand picture book. It has planets correct from color to size. This book is filled with vivid colors to allow an accurate representation of the solar system. There are questions to as your children, to really get them engaged.

This book is extremely colorful and makes asking your kid questions extremely easy. It brings curiosity into a child's world about the world around them. They realize they are not the world, they are a small part of this gigantic and
Lindsey Wingfield
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review: I gave this book 4 stars because it has an educational value to the book teaching young children about the solar system with very few words. The artistic elements of the planets stick because they make it the center of attention on the page. Breaking down each planet and telling a fact or two about it.

Summary: first it starts out saying look up to the sky, what do you see... then it goes on to tell you what you should see in the sky and what planets are up there. while they break it
Josiah Byrne
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awards: (None)

Appropriate Grade Levels: Pre K to 5th Grade

Summary: This book guides the children through all of the planets that are within the solar system. It tells some unique facts on each and every planet as well as showing each of them in the order that they appear in the solar system.

Review: I think this is a fun little book that helps teach children all about our solar system. I feel that the vibrantly colorful visuals can help engage children as well as the unique fun facts that the
Nicole
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hello, World! Solar System is a great book for early learners and readers. Not only does it have just the right amount of information for little ones to process, the illustrations make the solar system stand out! This book is a great addition to libraries and homes.
I can't wait for my patrons to check out this one and I'm looking forward to reading it again when Summer Reading 19 comes around.
Mary
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This little board book is PACKED with introductory information about the planets and solar system. Completely held my kids' attention and prompted them to interact with the questions and facts. They really like Mars and the idea that it has giant volcanoes! When we had read this book through a few times, my kids were starting to identify the different planets. That's a good book in my book. The author also includes Pluto, which is fine by me, because Pluto WILL ALWAYS BE A PLANET.
Kris
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful, bright, and easy to understand, this board book is a good intro to solar system facts for the littlest kids. I've read some of the criticisms of it - Pluto is included as a dwarf planet, but the other dwarf planets aren't - and I don't find issue with it. Pluto is easily the best known dwarf planet, and many adults include it as a planet in discussions of the solar system, which is probably why it was mentioned. A fun, basic intro.
Taya Bower
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book takes you on an adventure through our solar system. It teaches each planet as we venture further and further from the some. For each planet it gives good simple explanations as to what happens there.

This book is a very good book because it is simple and to the point but is also engaging and makes the reader do things for certain planets. I think this book deceivers a 5 star rating for these reasons.
Madison Harvey
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book on the basics of the solar system!! I would totally use this for a focus for a science lesson. The book has information about how the planets orbit the sun, how astronauts have been on the moon, and has a page for each planet. Such a great informational book with interesting illustrations to keep the readers entertained!
Avery Hungrycaterpillar
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Pluto is my favorite. I really like it when you say PLUUU-TOH. Also, Mars! and Earth! and the Sun!

I am not sure why the moon is on two different pages and is a crescent sometimes and a circle sometimes, but I still want to kiss it.

The constellations at the end are boring. I would have rated this higher if it had more planets.
Hayley Murray-Alvarado
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Information 2016
This book has such cute illustrations! I also like how there are not very many words on each page, making in an easy and informational read for the younger grades. I would read this book aloud to my younger students if we were talking about the solar system or have it in my classroom library for student interests!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Baby Loves Aerospace Engineering!
  • 8 Little Planets
  • Your Baby's First Word Will Be DADA
  • First 100 Words
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Potty
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Toot
  • The Going to Bed Book

Hello, World! (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hello, World! Ocean Life
  • Hello, World! How Do Apples Grow?
  • Hello, World! My Body