Start by marking “The Pledge (College Bound, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pledge (College Bound, #1)

The Pledge

(College Bound #1)

Taren needs a do-over. She’s decided the best way to put the high school bullies behind her is to pledge a Taylor-Swift-lip-syncing, beer-guzzling, sorority. Sisterhood helps Taren find the acceptance she’s always craved, but not the love she needs.

Alec wants freedom. To escape his father’s iron fist and unrealistic expectations, he pledges a campus acrobatics club where h
Published July 27th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent (first published July 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Pledge, please sign up.
Christine Manzari I'm sorry I didn't see this question earlier. It was available on kobo for a few weeks, but now it's part of the kindle unlimited program which means …moreI'm sorry I didn't see this question earlier. It was available on kobo for a few weeks, but now it's part of the kindle unlimited program which means it's only available on Amazon. If you're part of the kindle unlimited program, however, you can download it for free and read it on your laptop or phone using the free kindle app.(less)

Start your review of The Pledge (College Bound, #1)
Teri Chason
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to read this collaboration because it brings together two of my favorite Indie authors, Laura Ward and Christine Manzari.

The road to love for Alec and Taren is a bumpy one. From a heartless rejection in high school, to a few chance meetings at the same college, it seems these two were bound to be enemies for the long haul. But it’s funny how life changes.

Without spoiling the super-sweet ending, I cheered inside as I watched Taren grow throughout the course of the book. From
Rayene Ziadi
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a fat paced read, witty, funny and with an EPIC dialogue.
Jaime Arkin
I'm honestly surprised I finished this one. Maybe a full review soon
Kim
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

When I first heard Christine and Laura were collaborating on a new adult series, I was over the moon. Christine's Hooked is one of my favorite books of 2015 so far and I thoroughly enjoyed Laura's Past Heaven. I just knew these ladies would combine to make something special.

I was drawn to Taren and Alec immediately. (Alec probably more so because it's a little tough for me to relate to the Greek lifestyle. But I digress.) I liked that they had
Liza
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC for an honest review

Started out pretty slow but I liked the flow.

Alec and Taren's story is kind of typical but unconventional. They had a short stint of a past in high school and it was way out of this world for them to see each other again in college.

The Pledge also tells about the Red String Asian folktale that I really love! Because of it, I really loved this book and I was in to it so deep!

Taren wanted to change and get out of her shell; Alec wanted to pursue his passion
Miranda
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one was super enjoyable. Quick, light, just the right amount of angst, and a tad steamy. I really like when an author doesn't over sex a story, sometimes it does more harm then good but this one was handled delicately. I loved the plot and how both characters evolved. Can't wait to continue on wth this series and read about the other characters within this story.
Kendall {Book Crazy}
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
4.5 stars!

"Second chances don't change the past. They just prove we can learn from our mistakes."

I was asked by the authors if I could made a Book Trailer for this book (Check it out HERE!), and I was one of the blogs that helped reveal the cover, so I knew about the book before they asked me lol! The authors then offered me an ARC of the book and I said yes and made it my next read! I was really intrigued by the synopsis and I love the cover! This book was awesome! It took me a few sittings to
Pat Rosner
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully satisfying collaboration of authors! Laura and Christine blend their styles of writing beautifully to produce this smart, fun, sensitive, sexy and moving story.
I enjoyed the addition of characters with disabilities because we can always continue to learn from those who have different levels of abilities if we take the time to listen.
You will enjoy every minute of this book. The story builds seamlessly and comes together with a strong, poignant ending. I am very glad that this
Jenny
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
**4 Enjoyable Read Stars**

Sweet college romance, bit of a slow start but still very enjoyable, this book provides some laughs, some heart squeezing moments and also so 'aww so sweet' moments, loved the characters and if there's more books to come from some of the other characters in this book then i will for sure read them :-)

Arc provided for an honest review
Laci
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I finished this book within 24 hrs. I really liked the characters and was pulled in by the story.

I know there will be a second book in the series because there is a teaser at the end of this, but it's not listed on Gr so I hope I don't miss it.
Antonella
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't know how to rate this one:
- on one hand I read it, pretty fast and it kept my interest but
-on the other hand there were some cringe moments and definitely wth moments. The later could be a sign of a every new adult/ college book..stupid, annoying characters with equally idiotic drama...

which brings the question if this book has that than that makes it a good book, right?!

If you like new adult, if you like college/frat/sorority books- which are mystery to me as non American I was wond
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks

I love a good NA college romance. It’s a trope I’m really into and usually it gets me out of book funks (I’m not into one at the moment though). But lately I feel like it’s really hard finding a good different one.

College Bound seemed like a good one (and I even read the blurb before starting it), but unfortunately it didn’t meet the expectations for me.

I felt no chemistry between the main characters and I couldn’t relate to any characters. It was also very hard for me to connect with t
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
This is the first book in a trilogy. Normally, I don't often read anything in the New Adult category, but this book intrigued me. It was full of angst, but it was well done. I really loved Alec and Taren. It was really gratifying to see their relationship go from enemies to lovers. I also loved their respective friends. They added a great dynamic and I can't wait to read more.

Reviewed by: Clare M.
Coco.V
Mar 14, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 Books 1 & 2 in the Series are FREE on Amazon today (3/14/2020)! 🎁 ...more
Grace
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book seemed like a twist on the story of the Ugly Duckling, with an ugly (geeky) girl who later blossoms into a beautiful woman.

Taren grew up as a self described geek. Raised by her aunt, and lacking friendships, she took the kindness of one man, a guy she crushed on, and learned the harsh realities of peer pressure.

Alec grew up under heavy expectations from his father's with a life plan set out for him, which he had no interest in. He took a friendship and destroyed it because he couldn't s
Candi-
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
This past weekend at the #RAI2016 (Roanoke Author Invasion) I had the pleasure of meeting Laura Ward. Although I had already purchased "Not Yet" on my kindle, I had never read it!! (totally kicking myself now) At the signing she had Not Yet, The Pledge and Past Heaven sitting out on the table.....All three looked amazing but I decided to purchase Not Yet while my friend purchased Past Heaven. That evening I started Not Yet and completely devoured it!!! Could not put it down not even to sleep!! A ...more
Garden Of REden
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Fresh start. New beginning."

That is the premise of The Pledge, co-written by Laura Ward and Christine Manzari. We meet Taren and Alec as they are both looking to start their lives over in college. Taren and Alec have history together, and it's not one with a happy ending.

The Pledge is told in alternating POVs, and this was really a great way to get into both of their heads. I think if I only had one side of the story, it wouldn't have been enough for me. Taren is using college to break out of
Tiffany
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on Behalf of Give Me Books

I am a huge fan of both Laura Ward and Christine Manzari so when I found out that they were doing a book together I was excited to say the least!! The two did a fantastic job! The Pledge was sooooo good! While there were definitely distinct styles from both of them, the story flowed seamlessly and I couldn’t put it down!

“I told you Taren Richards! You are hotter than Satan’s nut sack!”
“Did you really just compare me to the devil’s genitals?”

Alec and Taren are
1-Click Addict Support Group
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of both Laura Ward and Christine Manzari so when I found out that they were doing a book together I was excited to say the least!! The two did a fantastic job. The Pledge was sooooo good! While there were definitely distinct styles from both of them, the story flowed seamlessly and I couldn’t put it down!

“I told you Taren Richards! You are hotter than Satan’s nut sack!”
“Did you really just compare me to the devil’s genitals?”

Alec and Taren are at college together. Having had an
Bekky Levesque
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had previously read & loved all books by Ward & Manzari, so was very excited to read a collaboration by them - they did not disappoint!! Their wit, snark, humor & excellent character development had me loving this book as soon as I began it & I could not put it down! I was impressed by how both writers were able to flawlessly weave the lives & storylines of both Alec & Taren into one seamless & compelling story. I appreciated how both characters went though a huge metamorphosis and learned a g ...more
Tobi Forget the Housework, I'm Reading...
The Pledge is a new adult romance that had me hooked from page one. Taren was bullied most of her life and college is her new start. She learns to be confident and have friends. Her trouble is learning to trust others. Alec is one hottie mctottie I could easily insert in my life. He's gentle and caring. He also needs to learn to trust. At times I wanted to jerk knots in both their noggins.
I love how the authors developed a story with the special needs community in a very heart warming manner. T
Dannah Leizl
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Laura Ward - The Pledge (College Bound, #1)

When I read the plot I was really interested because I like College romance.
But, I had to stop at 41%. Alec and Taren had history, but I can’t see the chemistry. Alec seems to be more into Amanda, there’s chemistry there, with the slipup of Alex the only issue. As with Taren, I did not like that he keeps on going out with Doug and expect all will be ok she know that there’s something wrong but she’s not doing anything to fix it.

Overall, though the plot
Book-Bosomed  blog
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Taren Richards had a rough high school experience, bullied and treated like the class geek. Alec Hart was the popular guy, and when he had the chance to lift Taren up, he really left her down. As a result, what started as a friendship/crush turned into enemies with disdain. Seeing each other again at college is the last thing either of them want until it stirs up latent feelings that become too hard to deny.

The story has an interesting premise. A mix of second chances, opposites attract, and fri
Poulami
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received a digital copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was so awsome and heartwarming! I loved each and every moment of it. It is told in alternate POVs of the two main protagonists. The Pledge is a beautiful story of 2nd chance romance which I really enjoyed reading.

The story revolves around the lives of Taren and Alec. Taren used to be the school nerd and in college she wants a totally fresh start with
Chrissy
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, read-in-2016

The Pledge is an amazingly written new adult romance that everyone should read!

Taren is using college to escape the demons of high school and re-invent herself, and Alec is trying to enjoy college while under the ever present thumb of his stubborn father. Neither Taren or Alec realized how quickly the past that they shared would come back to haunt them.

When we first meet Taren, she’s a bit timid, scared, and afraid of changing, even though she knows she ne
Lynn
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Pledge was longer than I anticipated, but when I was finished, it felt like hardly anytime passed at all. I was sucked into Alec and Taren’s story and didn’t want it to end.
Alec and Taren have a history that brought them both happiness at one point, but then it shattered them both. Taren’s heart and Alec’s social life. Now that high school is over and they are trying to start over for themselves without the people that made their senior year miserable.
Taren is determined to fit in, belong so
Renita
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
ARC received in exchange for an honest review & participation in Blog Tour

"Fresh Start. New beginning. No one knows me here..."

This book was definitely a sweet change of pace from the usual NA athlete stories that usually come along. It took me about seventy five pages to really hit my stride with this read but once I got to that point I didn't put it down until I was done with it.
Both needing to reinvent themselves from the people they had been before college, both Alec and Taren
Josselyn Radillo
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts:

This review was originally posted at
chapterfive.wix.com/chapter5

It’s like the love stories of old! Geek/Nerd Girl teams up The Hot Guy for a high school project and something between them clicked. Oh Alec, oh Alec… *takes out heart-framed photo of Alec and recites an ode to it a la Helga Pataky*
Anyway let’s get into this. Taren is starting college to have fresh new start, leaving her Geek/Nerd and all the other labels, her prick heads of classmates called her. But because this is t
Tamara
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta, paperback
I love Laura Ward's books and when I heard she would be writing a book together with Christine Manzari (I loved Hooked! - my review), I knew it would be a great story! There's always the fear of when two authors write one book, that their voices wouldn't match. But in my opinion, the voices of both authors worked together perfectly.

The story of Alec and Taren is filled with great dialogue and set in High School and College. It was great to see these two characters grow along their way in school.
Rose
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
It was a little slow at first, I would have preferred more Alec / Taren scenes in the beginning but it wasn't too annoying at all. I found it realistic how it happened.

I absolutely loved Taren. It's not very often an author can portray a character so well. Taren is genuinely a nice girl and I loved how she treated everyone. I've been reading about too many annoying heroins who are bitchy, pushovers and straight up stupid and selfish so reading about her was refreshing.

I also l
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: 2 different books as new edition 1 103 Jun 17, 2015 03:02PM

• Defenseless Hearts (Tender Hearts #2)
  • From the First Verse  (Life of Debauchery, #1)
  • Hated You Then (Love Hurts, #1)
  • The Second We Met (Fulton U, #2)
  • Real Ugly (Hard Rock Roots, #1)
  • Break You (Boys of Trinity Hall, #1)
  • The Fake (Smart Jocks #4)
  • The Third Best Thing (Fulton U, #3)
  • Wicked Saint (Sinners and Saints, #1)
  • Changing Course (Wrecked and Ruined, #1)
  • Hot Mess (Love is Messy, #1)
  • Looking to Score
  • Release
  • Stripped (Stripped, #1)
  • Wait With Me (Wait with Me, #1)
  • 'Til the Last Lyric (Life of Debauchery, #2)
  • Hatemates
  • Transfer (The Retrieval Duet, #2)
Laura Ward lives in Maryland with her loud and very loving three children and husband. She married her college sweetheart and is endlessly grateful for the support he has given her through all their years together, and especially toward her goal of writing books. When not picking up toy trucks, driving to lacrosse practice, or checking spelling homework, Laura is writing or reading romance novels. ...more

College Bound (2 books)
  • The Color of Us (College Bound, #2)