Start by marking “Disenchanted” as Want to Read:
Disenchanted

Disenchanted

In this Christian fantasy, one young wizard with a hunger for wisdom and some dangerous secrets finds himself pitted against another ready to reach for power with the darkest forces possible.

Wizards have never in the history of Coventree, renounced Wizardry. But Blayn Goodwin finds himself growing detached from the practice of Wizardry, even as he rises through
Published July 14th 2015 by Vox Dei Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Disenchanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disenchanted

Start your review of Disenchanted
Poulami
Kandi Wyatt
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Three nations, three generations, three religions, two worlds collide in Disenchanted by Janet Ursel. At first I wondered what in the world all the different characters and story lines had to do with each other. As the story moved along, though my thoughts of a disjointed story changed to awe at the author who had pulled it all together. It was like looking at a tapestry up close and personal. All you can see are the individual threads. When you back away, you see the pattern. About three-fourth ...more
Hannah
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was fantastic! There's no specific part that was my favorite, but every little piece plays into the others incredibly well. Ursel did something here that feels completely unique and yet, historically possible, which is very hard to do. It's interesting how Coventree and the surrounding areas were founded by a group of people who felt that Christianity was becoming synonymous with tyranny, but the people eventually start to become disillusioned with their alternate ways of life. My favorite ...more
Emerald Barnes
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Disenchanted is a fantasy novel that focuses on a few characters, but mostly on Blayn. Blayn is a special kid who grows up into an even more special man. He works his way up the wizard ladder with his Truesight and to Grand Wizard. But along the way, Blayn falls in love and marries the woman of his dreams, yet he has to keep her a secret due to the wizards. They don’t believe in marriage, but Blayn is a bit different.

While all of this is happening, black wizards from the North are threatening t
Scarletstories
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, to be honest. I'd read a synopsis that talked about fleeing England, another world, magic, wizards and witches and other things that piqued my curiosity. But even then, I didn't know what this book was about. I didn't know that I'd be sucked into a world of Supreme Wizards, Northlands and Southlanders, that I'd become immersed into the story of a young man named Blayn, whose destiny for greatness was constantly battling with his desire for something m ...more
Carolyn
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love to read fantasy and have read this genre since I was a child. However, I am not particularly attracted to witches and wizards. I finally decided to get this book because it was Christian Fantasy, and I am so glad I did! This is a beautifully written work, and a joy to read.

As mentioned in other reviews, the first half of this novel is dedicated to introducing us to the world of Coventree, and the main characters of this story. This is not unusual in fantasy novels. Janet Ursel
Sheri
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, religious
I had no clue what I was getting into with this book. It was gifted to me and I chose not to look it up, instead just started in reading it. Therefore I was really surprised when it took the turn to being very religious in tone. It starts off as a really well written fantasy following three generations of wizards, and then veers into the accepting of God, and how that changes the men involved.

The book is really interesting, and the transition from straight up fantasy to religious fantasy is fai
Olivia
Full review here: http://oliviasinkspots.blogspot.com/2...

I enjoyed this book. I liked seeing how the protagonist shifted into his new faith, how it wasn't immediate and how he struggled a lot less with coming to terms with what it meant in contrast to what he had been taught all his life. The worldbuilding was interesting, too, with magic saturating the world and how everything seemed to fairly revolve around magic.

Some of the dialogue felt too modern for the medieval setting, though, and it kind of disrupted the
Vanessa
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
David M
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just finished this story yesterday afternoon. If you took a look at the time between when I began and when I finished, it has nothing to do with the book itself , but my intent to be thorough with my review.
When I picked this book up, I didn’t really know what I was getting into. The title was vague to me, and it left me wondering what the book was actually about. Obviously, the title did the job it was meant to do; make the peruser curious enough to investigate further.

In the beg
Guy L. Pace
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my first Christian fantasy and I did enjoy it. I was a little confused at first with the POV and timeline, but got into the groove and into the characters. Janet is a solid writer and I'm looking forward to the next installment in this series. I'm no great reviewer, so I'll keep this simple. It is a good read and I think most Christians will enjoy it.

For any fantasy, you must begin with an open mind regarding the world the author creates and give yourself an opportunity to fo
Teri
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and the writer. I enjoyed the story and characters which were well developed and researched. It is a refreshing read with magic and sorcery and a christian aspect all of which weave together for a great tale.
Rivanel55
Abigail
Jul 26, 2018
Mindy
Jul 15, 2019
After raising five children and one husband, Janet Ursel came to the obvious conclusion that writing novels was an essential part of the recovery process. Her studies in languages and literature, along with her experience as a pastor’s wife, market analyst, and ESL teacher, made her uniquely qualified to explore the life of a wizard in a parallel universe, so she did. She can be found at janeturse ...more