Start by marking “M is for Mustache” as Want to Read:
M is for Mustache

M is for Mustache

It's Pride Day, and this big loving chosen family is ready to celebrate! See what they do to make their Pride Day special and so much fun--one letter at a time!
Paperback, First, 28 pages
Published 2015 by Flamingo Rampant

To ask other readers questions about M is for Mustache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M is for Mustache

Start your review of M is for Mustache
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, this is an alphabet book based on the Toronto Pride parade...how could this be anything but awesome!

Some of my favourite letters: "Q is for Queerspawn, for kids as lucky as me to have parents who are lesbian or gay or bi or trans or queer or two-spirit"

"K is for Kissing. On Pride day it feels safe for all of us to kiss our sweethearts!"

R, of course, is for rainbow. Someone else mentioned that the S is for smudging, "we burn sage to remember that we're marching on Native land" is potentially
Danni Green
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best alphabet book anyone has ever written in the history of all alphabet books. Please, for the love of all that is good and fabulous in the world, teach your children the alphabet with this book.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book a lot -- but I hesitate at the "S is for Smudging. We burn sage to remember that we're marching on Native land." Smudging is a Native American practice, so it feels culturally appropriative to me for non-Natives to do it :/

Absent that page, I would whole-heartedly recommend this book. The Filipina protagonist with her posse of aunties, including folks in dresses AND beards; shout-out to Marsha P. Johnson; "M is for Mustache, which mama draws on my face to go with my tutu;" "X
Jane Hamilton
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What every queerspawn needs, and what every queerkid needs. Very well done.
emmy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-recs
Featured in the following blog post: https://booksbeyondbinaries.blog/2019... ...more
Earl
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting alphabet book that focuses on Pride from a Canadian publisher.
Sunny
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This alphabet book is about getting ready for a Pride celebration. We start with A is for ally and progress to other letters that introduce concepts like chosen family, gender non-conformity, and queerspawn. There's even a mention of the legendary transgender activist Marsha P. Johnson. I loved how inclusive this picture book is in terms of race, ability ("H is for hands which we use to sign our happiness"), family formation, and more. As other reviewers have mentioned there is a concern that S ...more
Samantha
WONDERFUL (and somewhat controversial according to mainstream reviews/publishing) ABC book about a family, chosen fam, trans and queer community celebrating PRIDE. Lots of attention is paid to showing gender variant and trans beauty, care, and actual protest-celebrations; nuances of safety and pride are explored too. Really lovely book. GET IT for your YUNG'INS!
AbsentLibrarian
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Challenges gender bias without becoming preachy or political. A Great addition to our picture book collection. Love the diversity of the characters in illustrations too!
Mills College Library
Leigh Matthews
Jul 17, 2016
Edwina
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't expect much from Alphabet books. X's and Z's are usually disappointing. The book moved me beyond reason. I was flushed with feelings, moved to tears by the tender words, and caring thoughts. All children should be able to see themselves in a book. Especially the two spirit ones.

Don't stop here, though. Read all eight books from this publisher.
Cole Jack
Jun 16, 2015

• The Newspaper Pirates
  • Love is in the Hair
  • A Princess of Great Daring
  • The Zero Dads Club
  • Is That For a Boy or a Girl?
  • 47,000 Beads
  • Colors of Aloha
  • The Great Space Adventure
  • The Debt-Free Lifestyle
  • Word Nerd
CATHERINE HERNANDEZ is the Artistic Director of b current performing arts and the award-winning author of Scarborough (Arsenal Pulp Press). Scarborough won the 2015 Jim Wong-Chu Award, was shortlisted for the Toronto Book Award, the Evergreen Forest of Reading Award, Edmund White Award for Debut Fiction, the Trillium Book Award, and longlisted for Canada Reads 2018. It made the "Best of 2017" list ...more

News & Interviews