Start by marking “Çimen Yaprakları” as Want to Read:
Çimen Yaprakları

Çimen Yaprakları

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  80,011 ratings  ·  2,272 reviews
Çimen Yaprakları, Amerikan edebiyatının yapıtaşlarından biridir. Whitman, bu ölümsüz eserinde işçilerin, kadınların, kölelerin, sıradan insanların hikâyelerini destansı bir anlatıya dönüştürmüş, eşitlikçi fikirlerini şiire yansıtarak döneminin edebiyat anlayışında büyük bir kırılma yaratmıştır.

Çimen Yaprakları'nın her dizesinden fışkıran coşku, umut ve esrime, iyi ve güzel
Published 2015 by Sel Yayıncılık (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about Çimen Yaprakları, please sign up.
Maggie I would say that this book of poetry would be too advanced for a person learning English. You asked this question 10 months ago so perhaps you've…moreI would say that this book of poetry would be too advanced for a person learning English. You asked this question 10 months ago so perhaps you've advanced in your English studies.

However, if you want to learn a wide range of new vocabulary, you could definitely give this book a good try. Just make sure to have a dictionary close by! Good luck! (less)

·  80,011 ratings  ·  2,272 reviews

Selby
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Whitman used to right fake reviews under false names for Leaves of Grass and send them to publishers, newspapers, and periodicals. I love that about him. So over the top. He had love for everything. Especially himself. As for the quality of the work the words speak for themselves:
"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not co
MischaS_
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, poetry
Don't pay attention to me, I'm currently high on poetry.

description

description
Lizzy
In Leaves of Grass Walt Whitman sings nature and his symbiosis with America, he sings the universe and his awareness of it all, but above all he sings the people and their quest for individuality and immortality. ‘The proof of a poet is that his country absorbs him as affectionately as he has absorbed it.’ And here he includes himself with all his mysticism and spiritual illuminations. In that, it is a celebration of humanity, his country and everything in it. Some parts of his poems were so bea ...more
Michael
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whitman sings the song of America like no other poet I know--the outsized joy and pain, the affinity for common folk and the love of nature and the sheer overwhelming feeling of every sight and sound and industrious noise around him. "I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear," he wrote. Because of this some are tempted to see Whitman as a poet of pure exuberance--like a proto-hippie or, worse, like a garrulous Hallmark card. But Whitman doesn't shy away from pain at all--he embraces it l ...more
Lauren Schumacher
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When Leaves of Grass was first published, critics applauded Whitman "only that he did not burn" the "mass of stupid filth" immediately upon completion. They primarily objected to its sensual and occasionally (rather overtly) homoerotic content. Nowadays, of course, it seems entirely too mild to raise an objection on those grounds, but man, oh man, I understand the impulse to want to turn this book into kindling.

It's less like THIS...

...and more like THIS.

This weighty poetic tome has all the we
Nasrbarshoumy
يتنفس الأثير عطرها ويمنحه لنا جميعا
تأكل منها الخراف والماعز والإ
Dan
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, my rating here is very misleading. I haven't read Leaves Of Grass. I don't even intend to read Leaves Of Grass. Not all the way through any way. It seems sort of weird to just read a big fat collection of poetry all the way through. The five star rating is for one poem, "Song of the Open Road".

I've never really appreciated poetry. I've liked song lyrics and that's poetry, but it seemed like I needed a tune to go with it. I've liked scripture which can be pretty poetic, but it seemed I n
Helga
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
I am the poet of the Body and I am the poet of the Soul,
The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me,
The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into new tongue.
I am the poet of the woman the same as the man,
And I say it is as great to be a woman as to be a man,
And I say there is nothing greater than the mother of men.

This is the first edition of Leaves of Grass published in 1855, which consists of 12 poems. In his poems Whitman exalts nature and h
Roy Lotz
It is becoming increasingly trendy to chalk up success to practice and hard work. We have the famous 10,000 hours from Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers, and a similar theme from Joshua Foer’s Moonwalking with Einstein, just to name two examples. But it seems to me that some people were just born to do what they did, that no amount of practice could ever have produced something so fresh, original, new, and revolutionary.

Take Montaigne. He invented a new genre (the essay), pioneered a free and easy pro
Ben Wilson
Nov 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: democrats, republicans, flag-shitters
Recommended to Ben by: President Clinton gave this as a present to Monica Lewinsky
Shelves: neverfinished
Leaves of Grass is like reading every single instant message that I and a friend of mine ever wrote to one another over the course of the last ten years. Likely way too long, too self-serving and would have shocked the general public if they cared to read it when it was written. But nestled in there are some real, true brilliant moments.

This is after all Whitman's life work, laid bare and un-edited for the most part. What else are we to expect? He is literally singing a song of himself, which he
Collin
Apr 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Holy shit this is self-important and tedious.

--update: This has sat untouched on my desk all year. I can think of a hundred books I'd rather start than finish this, so I doubt I'll pick it back up unless I run out of books to read, I'm too poor to buy any more books, all my friends turn on me and refuse to loan me anything else, and all the nearby libraries are set on fire simultaneously.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Did you know that the letters in "Leaves of Grass" can be rearranged to spell "Asses of Gravel"?
If you find yourself anagramming the letters in the title rather than reading the poetry, it's a good sign you're not into the book. But I really wanted some of whatever Whitman was smoking that made him so ecstatically, ebulliently enthusiastic about every molecule on the planet. Including his own b.o.

"The scent of these arm-pits aroma finer than prayer."

Huh??? Was this guy sniffing glue along wit
Samadrita
There's only so much rhetoric on American imperialism I can ingest and assimilate at a stretch. Later, Mr Whitman.

(paused at 47%)
Teresa
"Adeus, minha Fantasia!
Adeus, querida companheira, minha amada!
Vou, mas não sei para onde vou,
Nem qual será a minha sorte, nem se alguma vez nos voltaremos a ver,
Por isso, adeus, minha Fantasia!

Agora, a minha última vontade — deixa-me olhar para trás por um instante;
Cada vez mais lento e leve o tiquetaque do relógio dentro de mim,
Retirada, anoitecer, e em breve a surda palpitação que pára.

Convivemos, alegrámo-nos e consolámo-nos durante muito tempo;
Foi magnífico! — Agora separamo-nos — Adeus, mi
Araz Goran

شريد الطرقات وغريب الأطوار ،ملحن الكلمات ،الماشي بين السفوح والوديان ، المقاتل ، المتطرف الغائب ،الحاضر ، قديس الروح وعربيد الجسد، المتفائل، الرفيق والسائح، الفلاح، المغامر، المنطلق نحو حياة لا حدود لها وأفق فسيح يتمدد أمامه كرحلة أبدية تنتهي من حيث تبدأ وتبدأ من حيث ينتهي، في أعماق الطبيعة وجنون الحياة وبين أجساد الفقراء والبائسين والقتال والمقاتلين ،البحر والصيادين ..

هناك حيث يسكن والت ويتمان...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

كلماته صريحة جريئة، ونداءاته تنبض بالحياة
ديوان جميل وعبقري، وترجمة سعدي يوسف أحيته
Ben Winch
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A child said, What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;
How could I answer the child?.... I do not know what it is any more than he.

I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
A scented gift and remembrancer designedly dropped,
Bearing the owner's name someway in the corners, that we may see and remark, and say Whose?

I'm no expert on Walt Whitman, and given that this poem ('Song of Myself') has been celeb
Nahed.E

القراءة الأولي لـ والت وايتمان
الشاعر الأمريكي الشهير
الهادئ .. الراقي .. البسيط إلي حد التعقيد !!

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تصبح سعادتك الكبري في الاستلقاء علي العشب الأخضر والعالم يمر من فوقك لا تعبأ به ولا يعبأ بك ؟

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تكون سعادتك في أن تتحدث مع ذاتك عن ذاتك .. وعن الآخرين بمنتهي الصدق .. فلا تعبأ بصورتك في المرآة كيف كانت ؟ ولا كيف نظروا إليك ؟ ولا كيف سيحكمون عليك في يوم ما ؟

هل تعرف ذلك الإحساس حين تتحدث إليهم بكل صدق
وتقول : هذا أنا ! فلا تتعبوا أنفسكم في تغييري .. أنا أحب نف
Bryan  Jones
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Song of Myself" is a work of pure genius comparable to Shakespeare's greatest. I love these last three stanzas especially. When my wife and I were dating long distance and when I was deployed, I would end alot of my letters with "I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love.
If you want me again look for me under your bootsoles.
You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,

But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blo
Chris_P
I read it in my living room. Read it by the sea. Read it in the afternoon, at sunset and at night. I read it from mid-winter through mid-spring. Read it while sad, read it while content, read it while not giving a fuck. I read it and understood it, read it and misinterpreted it.
I read it.
Do I seem weird?
Do I care?
Ahmed Ibrahim
مختارات من ديوان الشاعر الأمريكي المتميز، شاعر الطبيعة، المحب لوطنه بصورة كبيرة جلية في أشعاره - والت ويتمان، ديوان ظل شاعره يكتب وينقح فيه أربعين سنة.
ويتمان ذو فلسفة مختلفة بعض الشيء، واختلف الجميع عليه، فالبعض يراه متصوفًا والبعض يراه شاذًا!
في المقدمة تحدث المترجم عن هذه النقطة ورد بأن أشعاره الجنسية تنفي عنه الاثنان.
لكن أغلب أشعاره توضح فلسفته، فهو يرى نفسه في الجميع ويرى الجميع في نفسه، فيها من الفكرة الصوفية لكن بطريقة مختلفة.. فالشاعر عندما يتحدث عن أي شخص/شيء يتحدث كأنه هو، ومثال على هذا
Anima
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘I will not make poems with reference to parts,
But I will make poems, songs, thoughts, with reference to ensemble,
And I will not sing with reference to a day, but with reference to all days,
And I will not make a poem nor the least part of a poem but has reference to the soul,
Because having look’d at the objects of the universe,
I find there is no one nor any particle of one but has reference to the
soul ‘
Andrew
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Literary rapture. I don't know how else I could describe my first experience reading Leaves of Grass. It was pure literary rapture.

I highly recommend Leaves of Grass to everyone - especially those who still believe, or want to believe, in the basic goodness of the American Experiment.

Pick up the slim first edition (Whitman revised and expanded Leaves of Grass throughout his life. The final product, which is what is most often seen on bookshelves, is a bloated, redundant beast.

Read the whole t
Yassmeen Altaif
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تعرفت على الكتاب من باب الصدفة، أبحث عن كتاب ديني ومن خلال البحث كان هذا الكتاب من المئة الكتب التي ينصح بقراءتها، أسم الكتاب آثار فضولي عن ماذا تتحدث هذه الأوراق.

وبعد البحث اكتشفت ان أوراق العشب شعر، وبدأت قراءته لأول مرة إقرأ كتاب شعري مترجم وليس قصائد عربية.

القصائد جميلة جداً، والترجمة جيدة وممتازة.
المواضيع المتناولة في الكتاب رائعة، بدأها بقصائد بهذا الكتاب مناشد المكتبات والقارئ وختمها بأغنية عن نفسه.

"أيتها الخجلى
أيتها المتدفقة بالأنوثة،
آه لو جذبتك إليّ
لأغرس فيك للمرة الأولى
شفتي رجل
Liz Janet
Unlike many Americans, I was not introduced to Walt Whitman during my school years through English/Literature/Composition classes, but through a magnificent and beautiful film called Dead Poets Society. I fell in love with his poetry then, of course, not all of his poetry is shown, for the film speaks more of literature and its importance to human consciousnesses, rather than the different dead poets, but it did introduce me to "O Captain! My Captain!"(which is not in this collection, and I am ...more
Philip Cartwright
First the pros:

Whitman's free verse is years ahead of its time. I kept having to remind myself that he published this work in 1855. Wordsworth had only been dead for five years, Tennyson and Browning were at the height of their powers and Longfellow was still churning them out. Whitman was an important moderniser.

His verse has tremendous energy. It crackles off the page and I was often swept giddily along by the blizzard of words. Plus, there are some truly striking images to be found. At its be
Jenny Beth
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pour-y-vivre
Few people know that I curl up with Song of Myself whenever i am depressed. i gave a nice boy from England my beautiful edition once as a birthday gift, so now i curl up with this dreadful Norton Anthology edition where the pages are thinner than onion skins. once i get to the end and reread some of my favorites bits i always find i am ready to rejoin the family of mankind again as tolerable, if not pleasurable, company. I think, as many do, that the affirmation and daring and greed and urgency ...more
Manny
To quote Robert Louis Stevenson:
…like a large shaggy dog just unchained scouring the beaches of the world and baying at the moon.
But let's look at the positive side. Monica Lewinsky gave a copy to Bill Clinton as a present.
Emily
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, classics
Holy crap this is boring and pretentious. Admittedly, I don't like poetry, but I'm trying to make my way through some books that are considered classics. This is a DNF for me. IMO, poetry needs to rhyme. I'll stick with Dr. Seuess from now on.
Goodreads Librari...: Page count 4 20 Sep 26, 2017 10:31PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 15 Sep 26, 2017 10:14PM
Around the Year i...: Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman 1 10 Jul 06, 2017 04:48PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 4 May 07, 2017 05:57PM

• The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • The Great Fires
  • The Collected Poems
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
“Resist much, obey little.” 5585 likes
“Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you.
You must travel it by yourself.
It is not far. It is within reach.
Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know.
Perhaps it is everywhere - on water and land.”
1535 likes