Start by marking “The Bear and the Piano” as Want to Read:
The Bear and the Piano

The Bear and the Piano

(The Bear and the Piano #1)

One day, a young bear stumbles upon something he has never seen before in the forest. As time passes, he teaches himself how to play the strange instrument, and eventually the beautiful sounds are heard by a father and son who are picnicking in the woods. The bear goes with them on an incredible journey to New York, where his piano playing makes him a huge star. He has fam ...more
Published September 3rd 2015 by Frances Lincoln

To ask other readers questions about The Bear and the Piano, please sign up.
Dimity Powell Definitely. The artwork alone marks it for high appeal.

Alex Sarll
Essentially the same plot as every music biopic ever, but much better because a) it's shorter and b) the musician is a bear.
Simon
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
In terms of picture books I would give this 4.5 stars but I can't quite compare it to some of the amazing novels and non fiction I have read this year. Enough waffling. This is a cute and stunningly drawn picture book about a bear who learns to play the piano and become famous, but at what cost? Enjoyed it a lot.
Pamela
Delightful story, enchanting artwork. Rich and meaningful . . .

The truest of friends will celebrate your talents and abilities - without jealousy. And they will encourage you to follow your dreams, even if it means leaving the cozy glen of family and friends to stand in a far away spotlight sharing your gift with the world. And perhaps they also know, the heart will always find a way back home.
alheyam
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the illustration more than the story.
Jason
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-cass
Found a couple of copies of this on a table at work with a sign saying "Free to those with kids" no idea who put them there, this looked like an interesting book so a nabbed a copy.

The story is pretty good, a bear that can play the piano and he becomes famous and is soon selling out theatres. By far the best part of the book are the full page illustrations, great use of colours and the bears look fantastic.

I recommend this for those with little kids, so if you see it sat on a table at work goin
Jenna Friebel
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This art is so beautiful!!! And the story is so sweet. I'm in love.
Belinda
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bear finds piano
in a wood full of green light,
dandelion seed, flowers.
Bear is young, the sounds
of each key are discordant.

Days and days bear comes
to play each key until
there are clear patterns,
sounds that mimic the light
that finds its way through
rough barked branches.

A girl and father hear music
coming from a copse where bears
listen to sounds clean, strong, gentle.
Come, they say to bear, play in our city.

Such a woodless new place
yet bear plays his pieces,
appreciated, lauded, contented
except for
Cáitín
This is a heart warming story for children, and the is a meaning behind the story, no how much money or fame you have if your not happy within yourself, all the other think won't bring happens
Luisa Knight
You know who the Piano Guys are, right? They play beautiful music in breath-taking natural settings, such as on top of a sunset plateau, at a white sandy beach, or in a elf-ish like forest ... Well this is the story of what happened to one of the pianos they left behind after a shoot. ;)

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also ha
Brooke
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, a bear cub finds something strange and wonderful in the forest. When he touches the keys, they make a horrible noise. Yet he is drawn back again and again. Eventually, he learns to play beautiful sounds, much to the delight of the woodland friends. Then the bear is invited to leave the forest and share his sounds with new friends in the city. He longs to explore the world beyond his home, to hear new things, and to play bigger and better than before. But he knows that if he leaves, the ...more
KC
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bear finds a piano in the woods. Behold, bear learns a simple yet lovely lesson about friendship.
Abigail
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Magical Stories Accompanied by Beautiful Artwork
When a young bear discovers a piano in the woods one day, his first experiments in playing are unsuccessful, and he produces an awful noise. But something draws him back again and again as he grows to maturity, until finally the full-grown bear is an accomplished pianist. Although his skill wins him the admiration of his woodland kin, the bear is eventually drawn away from the wild, led by a young girl and her father to journey to the city, there to discover more music than he ever dreamed possi ...more
Nouruddin
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-adult
This story is a great sample of all thoughts and feelings I have inside my heart. It gave me trust again to believe in my own thoughts and feelings I have no one to share with.

It is my agony:

2019-03-20-15-43-17-1

***
It is tottaly how I deal with beautiful things for the first time in my life:

Screenshot-2019-03-20-12-25-08-1

Oh!

Screenshot-2019-03-20-15-34-03-1

James Tostevin
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book! An amazing story which conveys a beautiful and important message. A must read!
Tasha
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
One day a bear cub found something in the woods: a piano. When he touches the keys, the sounds are terrible. But year after year he comes back and presses the keys again. Eventually he learns to play beautiful sounds on the piano. Soon all of the bears in the forest are listening too. When a girl and her father hear the music, they invite the bear to come to the city with them to play. He agrees even though he knows the other bears will be sad. After playing piano to great acclaim and winning aw ...more
Ellie Labbett
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home, ambition
A fantastic tale outlining the conflict between staying with those that you love and doing the thing that you love. The dilemma is - can you do both?
I loved reading this story and felt that my understanding deepened after finding more out about Litchfield's inspiration- the song 'Little Room' by The White Stripes'. Perhaps it would be interesting to discuss the concept of the outdoors being a 'room' with children, and find out about their own ambitions beyond their 'room'.
Liza Nahas
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book! I thought it would just be a cute little story about a bear playing piano; I didn't expect to get so choked up. I just loved it!
Olivia Tosti
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book are unreal, combining a magical yet manic world.
Zane Jones
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-four-star
AWW, yes. The illustrations are gorgeous, the story is beautiful, I love everything about this children's book.
Anna
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool-lit
Eh, the "fame in the big city = loneliness" plotline is pretty played out for me, but I did enjoy this one because I liked the lesson about how your loved ones are always there for you no matter what. Plus, the artwork is GORGEOUS, much of it featuring a piano playing bear. Gotta give this 4 stars for that.
Carolyn
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming story of a star in the making, made. A bear in the woods who becomes a master pianist, leaves his home, and then finds out that fame and fortune are not as rewarding as the love of family and friends. Great for music lovers, nature lovers, and art lovers. Beautiful illustrations and a great story to match.
Maisie
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really sweet picture book that won the picture book category for Waterstones Children's Prize in 2o16! I got a signed copy from work with a cute little doodle by the author :)

The illustrations are really lovely and the story is really cute.
Angela Groves
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
With beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story that lets you know no matter where you go and what you do, your friends and family will always be there, proud and wanting the best for you. A real pleasure to read.
William Weatherhead
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant story about a bear who is committed to his talent and leaves home to follow his dreams. It touches on the connection that we will always feel for home and that we will not be forgotten.
Kathryn
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The art work is incredible and the story sweet; friends are forever....
Claudia Turner
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this children's book. I might be partial to pianos and bears, but it's one of the best I have read in a long time with beautiful illustrations.
Boni
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, the illustrations!!!
Eliza Taylor
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is about a bear who finds a piano in the woods and starts to play it for months and months until he becomes very good. All of his bear friends come and listen each day to the beautiful songs that he plays! But one day, some people hear the sounds and come and convince the bear that he must go to the big city to play there. The bear doesn't want to leave his friends but is excited about the idea. He goes to the city and plays at huge concerts infant of massive crowds and bec ...more
Arminzerella
Raluca
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story isn't that incredible (bear who plays a piano in a forest goes to the city, becomes famous and discovers he misses his family and friends), but the illustrations are so cute and charming, they could melt the frozen heart of an unmoving marble statue and make it squeal in delight.
2017 Reading Chal...: The Bear and the Piano 1 16 Sep 08, 2016 11:06AM

• That Neighbor Kid
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • The Cow Who Climbed a Tree
  • Nerdy Birdy Tweets
DAVID LITCHFIELD IS A MULTI-AWARD WINNING ILLUSTRATOR AND AUTHOR REPRESENTED BY THE BRIGHT AGENCY.
David first started to draw when he was very young, creating Star Wars and Indiana Jones ‘mash up’ comics for his older brother and sister. Since then David’s work has appeared in magazines, newspapers, books and on T-shirts. He has also exhibited his illustrations in both solo and group shows in the

The Bear and the Piano (2 books)
  • The Bear, the Piano, the Dog, and the Fiddle