Start by marking “Stranger's Dance” as Want to Read:
Stranger's Dance

Read Book

Stranger's Dance

At the foot of the Continental Divide, rancher Frank Redmond struggles to maintain his land amidst the bleakness of Depression-era Montana. Married but childless, Frank's wondering if the long-term future of the ranch is worth the effort. For that matter, he's considering much the same about his wife Abby.

When a stray dog wanders onto the ranch, Frank's first impulse is to
Published April 8th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 5th 2015)

Start your review of Stranger's Dance
Amy
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet, feel-good read - great for curling up on the couch on a rainy day. The character of Stranger, the dog, is so well-developed I found myself, once again, wishing for a dog of my own! The setting of the book (Montana in the 1930's) is well-crafted, and I enjoyed the descriptions of Frank's work as a stone carving artist. These descriptions were the most vivid - I felt like I could visualize what what happening with pencil and paper, wood and stone. I appreciated the various charact ...more
David Dobrinen
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that pulls you in to the lives of the characters while giving you a taste of what small ranch life was like in the mid 1930s in rural Montana. The tidbits of historical reference sprinkled through out gives the reader perspective of when the events are taking place. Definitely worth reading.
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Story

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It’s a lovely story of survival during the difficult days in the Great Depression. It’s a story of pain, rejection, hurt, and redemption. My favorite character is Stranger, a large dog who appears and adopts a family living on a ranch in Montana. Stranger is an intelligent, loyal creature who plays a big part in the family’s healing. I laughed out loud at the dog’s occasional observations on life.
There is no foul language or sexual scenes. The book wa
Rose7
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captures what life was like for those early homesteaders. Life was hard but those who stuck with it left a legacy for future generations.

The first few chapters were kind of slow but I kept reading, because It was recommended by friends. The author of this book is from Montana. The story is set in Avon and Deer Lodge, Montana in the 30s. It is always nice to read books set in my home town. Like Kevin Giles book Summer of the Black Chevy. Another book I enjoyed.
Lisa Slater
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Troy Kechely is one of my new favorite authors! Reading his work makes me feel content to forget the rest of the world and simply embark on the adventure waiting in his books. Can’t wait for another!
Tarri
Enjoyable

Good plot and characters. Liked how the author used each characters point of view. What kept it from a higher rating is the penchant for moving the story ahead weeks and months at a time, rather than staying consistently in the moment.
Rawhideranch
Nov 14, 2016
Krystol
Sep 13, 2018
Goodreads Authors...: Free Kindle for Stranger's Dance 1 3 Jul 17, 2015 09:28AM
Goodreads Authors...: Stranger's Dance is officially released 1 2 Jun 22, 2015 12:03PM

• The Silence
  • Shoes on the Stairs
  • Goodbyes and Second Chances (Bleu, #1)
  • The Girl on the Mountain (Mountain Women, #1)
  • Emily, Gone
  • Sudden Game
  • The Experiment of Dreams
  • Fallout: Coopers Caravan
  • The Last Word
  • Made for Me
  • The Bombshell Effect (Washington Wolves, #1)
  • The Size of Everything
  • Maggie's Way (Montana Bound, #1)
  • EMP: Heading Home
  • Elly in Bloom
  • Never Say Goodbye
  • California Bust (Rip Lane, #3)
  • EMP
Troy Kechely grew up on a ranch west of Helena, Montana, where he developed a strong connection to the land and the animals he tended. That connection is evident in his narrative writing and formed the foundation for his debut novel, Stranger’s Dance.

A nationally known dog behavior expert, he is the author of Management of Aggressive Canines for Law Enforcement, which teaches law enforcement offic