Start by marking “Deep Breath (Falling in Deep Collection)” as Want to Read:
Deep Breath (Falling in Deep Collection)

Deep Breath (Falling in Deep Collection)

* A Falling in Deep Collection novella*

Before disappearing at sea, Marissa Pruitt’s father—a once revered marine archaeologist—walked the line of insanity, claiming to have seen a mermaid during an ordinary dive in the Gulf of Mexico. He abandoned his life and career, completely obsessed with chasing the truth.

It’s been years since his death, and Marissa is still torment
Published June 16th 2015 by J.M. Miller (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Breath

Start your review of Deep Breath (Falling in Deep Collection)
✿kawehi.reviews
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
☆ I received an ARC via the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ☆

1480716 832880870123288 379798180291916311 n

Deep Breath was author JM Miller's own twist on mermaid forklore.

A book novella, it covers the story of Marissa, trying to find answers about her late father.

After losing her mom to cancer, Marissa stumbles upon a pendant her father hid away and finds herself merging the lines between land and sea.

I have to say that this was quite different from typical mermaid stories that I've come across and was intrigued wit
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
✰✰✰ 5 STAR REVIEW ✰✰✰

Marissa was determined to clear her dad's name. After finding evidence he was not crazy and that what he had said all along right before his death was true.
She embarks in a journey to find what exactly he had seen but what she finds will change her life forever.

Is Marissa ready to travel this journey or will she failed to do so?
I will be very honest here, this is my first mermaid story besides The Little Mermaid, and I was captivated by this simple yet incredible novella. I
Elaine
What a wonderfully different novella this turned out to be - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

After the tragic death of her mother from cancer, Marissa Pruitt returns to her family home to start to clear it out. Whilst doing so she discovers a mysterious pendant and a note containing coordinates written by her father, a marine archeologist who disappeared whilst diving searching for a mermaid he claims to have seen whilst diving in the Gulf of Mexico. These artefacts start Marissa on a quest to discover
Lindy Lu Reviews
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have become a fan of mermaids and I love this take on merville! Mrs. Miller has a good imagination; she brings to life the secrets of the sea. This was my first experience with Mrs. Miller’s writing and I enjoyed the ride and the flow of this story. This story starts off at a steady pace and stays that way until the end.

After the death of her mother, Marrissa was cleaning out her parent’s house. Her father was presumed death years earlier, lost at sea and on the search for mermaids he swore e
Shawna
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Just Amazing! JM Miller has done it again!

I love love love this story of belief, pride, revenge, passion, determination, love, betrayal and trust. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster going between heart broken and having my heart warmed, all while being done in the most graceful and beautiful of ways. If that does not have you sold, then did I mention that their are mermaids?!? Yeah, how awesome. The setting is in the neatest mystical location that is everything you would hope for when
Stalking
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I want to live in this world.

I have always been a water person. I love everything about water and especially underwater life. This novella, where to start. It starts off with a huge bang and then I was transported into a whole new world. The under ocean environment was so well described, I easily imagined living there myself. I got a small but tantalizing look at characters I could learn to love and already have me imagining their possible back stories. I have never read such a unique mermaid st
Jenni Moen
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with J.M. Miller's writing in Sever and will now read anything and everything she writes. Ever since the movie Splash, I've been in love with the fantasy of merpeople. J.M. Miller brings that fantasy to life in Deep Breath. The world she created was a beautiful, magical place that I was sad to leave at the end. Mystery, murder, intrigue, love ... there's something for everyone in this story. ...more
Crystal Melloh
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marissa Pruitt is on a quest to find out what the green jewel and coordinates her father left mean. Her father disappeared seven years ago in a boating accidet chasing "mermaids." His body never found. Marissa was extremely close to her father and not getting the closure she needed has taken its toll. She enlists the help of Darci, her father's protege, to help her make sense of the green jewel and mysterious coordinates. When things go bad, Marissa finds herself being pulled to the bottom of th ...more
Gloria Green
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sweet merciful Jesus!!! I love mermaids!! I'v been waiting on more mermaid stories and I'm so excited by how good this one was. What had me really beside myself was that it's about a Merman. I mean it's really about a girl named Marissa but the lead guy is a sexy MERMAN. And they have sex!! I can't say I've read all of the mermaid books out there but from what I have read I can tell you the author had a unique twist on the whole mermaid species.

This was a really quick read. So quick that my be
Lindy Lu Reviews
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

Debbie
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mer-people
Independent Reviewer for Arcaheolibrarian I Dig Good Books.

Marissa found something in her father's belongings that sent her in search of where it came from. It might well cost her, her life, as it did her father's.

I really enjoyed this different take on mer-people! The story is fast moving, but not in a rushed way, and is clear in what's going on, and why its happening.

Marissa being saved by Dylan was a quaint little twist, especailly as the story unfolds and Dylan tells his story. I liked all
EscapeNBooks
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep Breath is great novella with a paranormal romance twist. This is not my first read by Author J. M. Miller, but is the first for paranormal romance by her.

The story begins with a discovery, adventure, and the unthinkable. Our main characters, Marissa Pruitt and Dylan Mitchell offer us detailed glimpses of their lives before and after their life transitions. Told in third person, we see, hear, feel, and see each action in the book and are left knowing that this is just a tiny taste of what is
Becca Zook
I was given an arc for an honest review
So all in all I enjoyed this short book, however I felt that it ended in a bad spot. I did enjoy the darkness to it and the ultimate love story potential it has,but there wasn't enough for me,I definitely think the author could have gone farther with this and made it a full length novel.
However I did enjoy the imagination of the author, she creates an entire underwater world and has a love in the making, death, revenge and heartbreak.
The main character Mar
Hooked On Books
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I was given an arc for an honest review
The main character Marr
Alicia
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deep Breath is the first book I've read centering around mermaids. To be honest, this genre has never interested me. However, I am a big fan of J.M. Miller, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did. I thought it was awesome. Deep Breath is a novella and so it is pretty short. However, the author packs so much action in that it is a complete story. I enjoyed it so much, though, that I wish that it was a full length novel.

Marissa is on a quest to find out what happened to her father. He disappeared at
Sara Miller
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Mer book (I mean aside from the Movie adaptation of the Little Mermaid when I was like 5) and I really enjoyed it! I'm always on the lookout for a new genre and I had heard good things about J.M.'s books so I was pretty excited when I won a ARC to give this a chance. Now, to the actual story! It was intense! There was drama on the high seas that's for sure! People you thought you could trust turn out to be your worst enemy, a new species is discovered and we learn a little abou ...more
Mayra
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This was such an interesting book. I never really thought of mermaids in the way J.M. Miller portrayed them and it was just a nice new perspective to read. I liked the idea of half human-half mermaid/man qualities and that allowed the book to bounce between underwater swimming and underwater cave living. I kind of wish it were a little longer because I really wanted to get to know Marissa, Dylan, and the underwater world with the mermaids and mermen better.
Shasta Mosley /Cherry0Blossom
I have to say with every book that I have read by J.M. Miller always leaves me craving for more and Deep Breath is no exception. It was truly a fast read for me. Once I started I could not put it down. I truly hope that there will be more to these characters.

Marissa Foster has lost her family, first she lost her father not once but twice. The first time when the revered marine archaeologist went crazy and then when he lost his life at sea. But after losing her mother to cancer, she is truly alon
A.R. Draeger
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this book! Then again, I've been a huge fan of J.M.'s writing since I read Sever.
Deep Breath is a different beast. Marissa, our heroine, has stumbled on to something that could bring her closure in the mysterious insanity-driven disappearance of her father, a trinket that had been well hidden among his things for years. Mysteries can be dangerous, however, and Marissa finds herself wrapped up in betrayal that leaves her dying on the ocean floor.
Fate has something else in mind for Marissa,
Lesia Latta
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC for my honest opinion and I have to say that I really did enjoy this book. I won't give anything away in my review but the storyline was great and I was always wondering what else was going to happen. I couldn't put it down. ( It was that good.) I think the characters had their own past and the author made sure that we had their story. I only wished that it would have been a little longer of a book.
Theresa Troutman
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I love JM Miller's style of writing. This story follows a young woman who wants to solve a mystery to try to fell closer to you deceased Dad. The quest takes her to the sea, where she discovers the mysteries and powers of the green stone he had hidden away in his home. I won't divulge the plot, but an unexpected twist brings Marissa an unexpected love and deeper understanding and appreciation of her father. Love this!
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Won this Through Goodreads First Read.
I didn't think I was really going to like this book when I first received it. I was wrong. I loved it. Was interesting, fun, romantic and whimsical. Really glad I got the chance to read this one. Hope many many people read and love this book as much as I have.
pamsreading
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, romance
4.5
magical!

If this was written from the opposite POV it could very well have been horror instead of fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal. Most importantly, this book proves that great world building does not require info-dump or 300 pages or several volumes!
Leona Bowman
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that was a pretty neat story. I rarely read books about mermaids but this one was great. But it had a awesome love story. With a lot of adventure. If want something different kind of romance I would highly recommend it. I was given this story for a honest review.
Abby Lewis
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a goodreads win.
I enjoyed this novella, and it was amazing.
Only thing i disliked was that I wish it was longer, definitely gonna purchase the other books by this author.
Teri
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this intro into the merworld. We get enough background and character development to make you want more. And of course we whine as the short story ends much too soon. Love Marissa and her inquisitive mind and not being a crazy female. Love that she was strong enough for the transition and to do what needed to be done and looking forward to what is to come. Nice short read.
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
Super cute and romantic. Pretty much everybody but out two main characters felt really under-developed, but it's a novella so I'm cool with that. ...more
Joey
Jul 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was very hesitant at first but this turned out to be a great quick read!
Tammie
I wish I had realized Deep Breath was a novella before I picked it up. I'm not a huge fan of them unless they tie into another book or series I've been reading. Mainly I'm not a fan because of the lack of story development. This would have been so much better as a full length novel. Mostly it felt rushed and the love story was insta-love because there wasn't enough time for it not to be. I feel like I have to rate short stories and novellas a little differently. I lower my expectations and rate ...more
Helen
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have only read one Mermaid book before, it was good, but did not inspire me to read more of that type. Wel,l I have to say this was so good that I am looking at reading the whole "Falling in Deep Collection.Marissa has followed in her father's footsteps and became a marine archaeologist. While going thru some of his belongings after his death, she finds a stone necklace. Marissa calls her dad's assistant to help explain her find and gets more than she bargained for. I received this book free i ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Switching Author name on other editions 3 84 Aug 03, 2016 01:54PM

• A Wilderness of Glass (Wraith Kings)
  • Krampus and the Crone
  • Sirein
  • The Royal Occult Bureau (The Royal Occult Bureau, #1)
  • Wish (Supernatural South #1)
  • The Pact of the White Blade Knights
  • Born of Fire (Elemental Origins, #2)
  • Born of Aether (Elemental Origins, #4)
  • Born of Water (Elemental Origins, #1)
  • Born of Air (Elemental Origins #5)
  • Born of Earth (Elemental Origins #3)
  • The Kiss Thief (The Royal Occult Bureau, #4)
  • Quicksilver (The Royal Occult Bureau, #2)
  • The Fire of the White Blade Knights - The White Order 2
  • The Beat of a Man's Heart (The Royal Occult Bureau, #3)
  • Kiss of Snow (Royal Hearts #2)
  • Beauty In Darkness (Royal Hearts, #1)
  • A King so Wyld and Wicked: A Fantasy Romance (Wyld Fae Book 1)
See top shelves…
J.M. Miller lives on Florida’s Emerald Coast with her husband and daughter.
When she isn't spending time with her family or being distracted by social media sites, she writes contemporary and fantasy romance novels.

News & Interviews