Start by marking “Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #3)

Death's End

(Remembrance of Earth's Past #3)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  35,527 ratings  ·  3,632 reviews

With The Three-Body Problem, English-speaking readers got their first chance to experience the multiple-award-winning and bestselling Three-Body Trilogy by China's most beloved science fiction author, Cixin Liu. Three-Body was released to great acclaim including coverage in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. It was also named a finalist for the Nebula Award, making it the first tran

Published September 20th 2016 by Tor Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death's End, please sign up.
Ken Liu (Translator here) I can't comment on the status of the translation, and the contract forbids me from giving out draft translations. Sorry! If you're a…more(Translator here) I can't comment on the status of the translation, and the contract forbids me from giving out draft translations. Sorry! If you're a reviewer, you should be able to contact Tor Books for a review copy.(less)

·  35,527 ratings  ·  3,632 reviews

Start your review of Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #3)
Bradley
This is one of those rare mind-blowing novels of such fantastic scope and direction that words just can't do it justice. It's the third book that started with the Hugo-Winning The Three-Body Problem, continued with The Dark Forest. They're all fantastic, but I have to honestly say that I loved this one more than the rest.

We've got the scope of some of Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence* going on here. I'm talking universe-spanning scope, going straight through time like a hot knife through butter and
Zofia Strumillo-Sukiennik
I never write reviews, but I will make an exception for this book:

1) I read the the Three Body Problem and The Dark Forest in June 2016 back to back and was devastated to learn that the final instalment would not be available in English until September.

2) I contemplated learning Mandarin in order to shorten the wait.

3) I contemplated Google translating the Chinese edition.

4) Death's End exceeded my expectations.

5) In the future people w
Petrik
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard Sci-Fi fans
Death's End should've won the 'Best Novel of the year' award at Hugo Award 2017 instead of The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin.

I was scared to start this book because in my opinion, The Dark Forest truly felt like the perfect conclusion to the series. In fact, I still do. However, Cixin Liu outdone himself by showing all his imaginative and brilliant ideas that made the trilogy goes into territories that goes beyond godlike; it made this book a worthy conclusion to the trilogy. Judging from the first book a
Michael Finocchiaro
I can hardly heap enough praise onto Cixin Liu's great trilogy and it's incredibly breathless ending, fittingly titled Death's End. The story is so tightly bound to the two previous books and so surprising and astounding and mind-bending that revealing any of the plot here would be a massive spoiler. Rarely have I read a book of such vast scope that was able to maintain a few primary characters and touch upon nearly every field of human knowledge and inquiry: from history to literature to philos ...more
Em Lost In Books
WOW! What a way to end the series.

This is my very first sci-fi and it has set such a high standards for me in this genre that whatever I will read in sci-fic from now on will be in its shadows.

Like the previous two books, this book also has a different protagonist, Cheng Xin. I was so happy for this female since I was a little disappointed in Dark Forest as it has all the male leads. Cheng Xin is a rocket scientist, awakened from artificial hibernation. She made a plan which would interfere wi
Jesse
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I enjoyed this so much more than The Dark Forest. The science and epic ideas on display captured my imagination.

And yet.

The gender dynamics grated on me throughout. Feminity is all about love and motherliness, wut? An autistic male scientist wasn't "a real man" because "he'd never been with a woman"... yeah, kinda hella offensive in two ways, there.

The final 100 pages were depressing as hell. Realistic? Dunno. Showing that humanity isn't the center of the universe and ma
Efka
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
UPDATE: All spoilers are now hidden.

During those few years I’m using Goodreads, I’ve noticed something curious: the better a book is, the less I know what to write in a review. “Death’s end” illustrates it perfectly – I’m sitting in front of my laptop, wondering what should I write, and all the ideas, all my creativity leads to such vast and in-depth reviews like “Just wow”, “It’s amazing book, nuff said” or “It’s a masterpiece worth ten stars, not just five”.

But I mean it. What started in “UPDATE: All spoilers are now hidden.

But I mean it. What started in “
The Three-Body Problem” as a good, but slightly “below my expectations” book and continued into “The Dark Forest’s” low pace and “still nothing is going on though it’s almost 50% of the book already”, exploded into outstanding and gripping sci-fi, whose grandeur and scale are almost unparalleled.

What I liked the most about this book, was Liu Cixin’s ability to constantly challenge me – and constantly win that challenge. More than once I’ve raised my eyebrows and said to myself “well, ok, now THAT is same crappy space mumbo-jumbo, I wonder, how you, my dear Liu Cixin, will write yourself out of this”. Aaaaand he always did. More, he always came up with a perfectly simple and perfectly scientifically viable solution. Lightspeed? Check. Teleportation? Check. Communicating throughout whole galaxy? Check. Also, this book even had some philosophical insights and considerations and, amazingly, they did not seem out of place here.

I simply can’t tell you more what’s this book is about, because even some slight plot revelations would most likely lead to huge spoilers, but a few simple facts might do it. So, what’s the fabula of this book? First, we are presented with a couple new characters – the book is written from their points of view. They are Yun Tianming – a sort of a secondary character, and Cheng Xin, the main protagonist of the story. Trisolarans are still coming, though Earth now seems to be in control as Luo Ji’s “Dark Forest” theory, which he came up with in a second book, was confirmed, thus leaving Earth in a position of power regarding the Trisolaris (remember how I said that Liu Cixin always comes up with a perfect scientific solution? Here’s a superb sample of it – “Dark Forest” theory profoundly explains The Fermi Paradox). Events transpire, and suddenly Cheng Xin founds herself in a situation where she is being responsible for the fate of the whole Solar system.

Now here’s the moment for a single drop of criticism I was able to think of during the whole book. It might be considered a light spoiler, but I cannot write it otherwise. So, the situation Cheng Xin happened to be in finally occurred, (view spoiler) That wasn’t a big spoiler, was it? But it’s not my critique yet. What I did not like and thought a bit absurd and over-the-top, was that Liu Cixin created a second chance for her – or, more like it, events transpire and suddenly Cheng Xin finds herself in a situation where she is responsible for the fate of the whole Solar system. AGAIN. Now that’s what I thought of as bullshit. I’m not a big expert on survival of the whole mankind, but a tiny thought can’t get outta my head: if one fails (view spoiler) once, it’s not very likely that this person would get another chance to do it, no? It’s obvious that Liu Cixin thinks otherwise, but I just can’t agree with him on this issue. That’s it. That’s my whole critique for a 600-page juggernaut of sci-fi.

I’m also very happy, that compared to previous two books, Liu’s writing style seems to have improved – there’s no more long, vexing technical specifications and lectures on quantum physics etc., and the pace of story is also heightened a bit, thus removing my main sources of frustration.

I’m not quite sure if I can say something more about this book. Odds on that if you’re about to read it, you already know what to expect and in any case no one in a right state of mind starts reading a trilogy from the last book. Personally, I’ve been awed by this book. It’s definitely the best book I’ve read this year, and you should keep in mind that that this year I’ve also read my beloved “The Expanse” series, Silo, “The Millennium” trilogy and “The City of Mirrors” to name just a few. It left a very, very big impression on me and now I can confirm that “Death’s End” huge rating, one of the highest on the whole GR I’ve ever seen (4,57 average out of almost 2000 votes at the moment) is fully deserved and understandable. It is an amazing book, and if you ever been unsure or had doubts about this trilogy, well, don’t be. Amazing. Just amazing. 10 stars. And now I’m feeling something like an existential melancholy…
Blind_guardian
A dismal, often confusing end to a very grim series. There be some spoilers ahead, so be warned.

I was not thrilled with this one, largely because I found the main character incredibly annoying and a bit of a Mary Sue. No matter how badly she fucks up and screws over the human race in the process, nobody ever seems to blame her or wonder why the fate of humanity keeps getting put into the hands of someone with decision-making skills that are this poor. The only one who seems to blame
Stuart
Death’s End: Truly epic finale to the THREE-BODY trilogy
NEW INTERVIEW WITH TRANSLATOR KEN LIU: GIVEAWAY OF THREE-BODY TRILOGY AUDIO CD SET!
Listening to Cixin Liu’s THREE-BODY trilogy reminds me of those graphics on cosmology that illustrate our relative scale in the universe. It starts with the microscopic world of individual atoms and molecules (or even subatomic particles like quarks and neutrinos), expands outward to individual cells, organisms, and larger creatures, then jumps out further to conti/>
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
So here I am, thinking about how to start a review about a book as good as this one. As one of my Goodreads friends says, the better the book, the harder to write a good review of it. This is precisely the case.

So first things first. Quiz time!

a) Do you enjoy scifi at all?

- if No, well. Well. Why are you reading this? :D But don't worry, there's always time to decide you do like it after all.
- if Yes, proceed to question b

b) Have you read The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin?

- if No, proceed to the bookstore or library and rectify this mistake
- i
Otis Chandler
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mindblowingly good. I haven’t read something so epicly ambitious and good in a long time. They say China is surpassing the rest of the world in lots of areas, you can put them up there in science fiction writers. And the best part was that the series built - you couldn’t imagine book 2 being better than book 1, but it was, and then you couldn’t imagine book 3 topping book 2, but it did.

Death’s End impressively goes deep into so many areas - human history, philosophy, physics, quantum physics, m
Gary
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been more than two weeks since I finished reading the third book in Cixin Liu's Three Body Trilogy, and it has left me with a lot to process. It would be impossible to cover everything I want to say about this book into one review. Among those things, I recently had a discussion (in my GR review of The Dark Forest - check it out along with the comments if you're interested) about Liu's conservative Marxism, and I won't rehash that here.
This is also a five star review for a novel tha
Stevie Kincade
(Audiobook) Death's End is a whopper of a story in size, scope and length (29 hours!). The book is overflowing with ideas and stacked to the upper limit of the 3rd dimension with thoughtful SF concepts. This is the first book in the series that didn't suffer from having crappy characters to follow because there is enough going on here that the universe itself can become the main character.

If you haven't started this series, or you read "3 body" the big question is should I read this giant arse
Jenna
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Death is the only lighthouse that is always lit. No matter where you sail, ultimately, you must turn toward it. Everything fades in the world, but Death endures.”

How the hell do you even review a book like this???? It's mind-bogglingly mind-blowing! This is my favourite book of the Remembrance of the Earth's Past trilogy and the only thing I don't like about it is that it's the final one. Wow, what a ride this has been!

Blown Away Mind Blow GIF - BlownAway MindBlow Omg GIFs

I won't recap the book. If you've read The Three-Body Problem and The Dark Forest you know what
Jody
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
In the following review I will try my best to explain just how grand of scale and pure genius this trilogy truly is. Liu Cixin is a master at taking the scientific and technological world we live in today and transcending it through the ages. It has a classic feel mixed with new age knowledge and futuristic ideas.

This has been an adventure that took root in the Chinese Cultural Revolution of the 1960's and has traveled through countless eras, centuries, and millennia. Characters have come and gone with a lasting
stormin
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The conclusion to Cixin Liu's much-vaunted sci-fi trilogy is a profoundly ambitious and deeply flawed work that came as a great let-down after the first two books, The Three-Body Problem and The Dark Forest. Part of that is probably expectation. The Three-Body Problem was heavily hyped in 2014 and--when it won the Hugo for Best Novel that contentious year--its star grew even brighter as a kind of savior of what had otherwise turned into a nasty, contentious, depressing award season. I loved that book, and in my eagerness ...more
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Not one of my favorites. It was confusing, dull and jumped back and forth between chapters too much.

I was really excited about reading this book because of all the great reviews on it, but when I actually picked up the book, I could barely read half way through it. The beginning was great and interesting then the next chapter got confusing, then the next and so forth.

I might try re-reading it later but I doubt it :/
Mike
Review for The Three Body Problem
Review for The Dark Forest

After being disappointed by The Dark Forest I was a bit apprehensive of diving into Death's End, the final installment of the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy. Would the characters still be two-dimensional (well some would in this book, but for very different reasons)? Would the story dominate all other aspects of the book that would merely service the story instead of being ends unto themselves? Would I care about anyone in the book? There were man
Matthew Quann
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, seasoned readers, power-nerds
A cerebral, mind-expanding trilogy comes to a stunning conclusion in Death's End.

How do you manage to wrap up a sci-fi trilogy whose first two installments featured a Universe-spanning first-contact narrative, a philosophical investigation of humanity’s life post-Earth, and some seriously mind-bending concepts? If you’re Cixin Liu, then you just go bigger.

What’s perhaps most impressive about Liu’s work is that he is able to so accurately convey the unfathomable scale of space in his atypic
Scott
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Cixin Liu is massive in China. After the English publication of his brilliant Three Body Problem trilogy he deserves to be massive everywhere else.

Death's End - the final book in the trilogy - is grand, universe-spanning SF of the most mind-expanding style. Liu throws around mind-blowing physics ideas like characters in potboiler fantasy novels chuck magic spells, and each one is a crystal ball's view into a world of scientific wonder. This book genuinely makes me want to study physics, just so I can e/>Death's
Ann

This series is mind blowing. I would rate it six stars if I could! Best Chinese science fiction no doubt.
SaraS
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously I don't know how to comment on this book. I am probably overly excited right now and still in that dramatical mood, just want to shout WoWwowwow. What a mind the author has! Cixin should have been a theoretical physicist rather than an engineer!

After reading this, now cixin liu has reached a place in my rank as the same as Asimov, Clark and the best of Orson Card. Especially considering I read most of those sci-fi giant books as a teenager, and now cixin still satisfied my
Tudor Ciocarlie
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-my-best-of
It is very hard to find a more mind-blowing book than this one. Death's End builds and builds and builds until it becomes an explosion of ideas, of space traveled, of time past in a very Stapledonian style. But, bare in mind that the main story line that begins in the first pages of the first volume ends at about 50% mark and the last 350 pages are in fact, like in The Return of the King, a very long finale. Although it's very hard to judge some aspects of this book without reading much more Chi ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 4*
Book 2: 4.5*
Book 3: 5

Perhaps the great compliment I can give a series is: I bet it will be even better on re-read.

I don't re-read often. Even series I loved don't get a re-read because often they're simple and fun. This was complexed and thought provoking. You don't causally read a series such as this. If you do you miss key bits of information and end up lost.

Truly epic in scale and outcome and yet open ended and open to interpretation. Stories within stories
Steven Grimm
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chinese, sci-fi
A fitting finale to the series, and one with an unabashedly epic scope that makes everything that came before seem like small potatoes. The pacing is much faster; unlike the previous two entries, there are no long stretches in which nothing much happens. The characterization is also stronger: the heroine, Cheng Xin, made a lot of choices I didn't agree with, but I at least understood why she made them, and she wasn't blind to the consequences. And I thought the way she was introduced was pretty wel ...more
Tudor Vlad
Endings are hard. They’re hard for the reader and they’re even harder for the author. The ending can brake or make a series and in the case of Liu Cixin’s Remembrance of Earth’s Past, the last installment in the trilogy cemented the series as my favorite science fiction series.
The scale of the story has always been huge, but Death’s End takes it to inconceivable levels. With the scale of the story going bigger, the number of POV characters gets smaller. This time we only have one POV character, C
Ray
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fic, novels, audio
The finale of the Remembrance of Earth's Past saga, The Three-Body Problem, is so overwhelmingly epic it makes it difficult to review as one would a normal novel. Although in some ways it's more of a direct story, starring one main protagonist Cheng Xin as opposed to the ensemble casts of the previous novels, the scope is so incredibly broad and haunting that one struggles to process after the story concludes. I probably need a few more days to reflect, honestly.

The main flaw in Liu' writing he
ChopinFC
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites, series
5 Stars (Masterclass)

Stunning in conception, originality and execution!

I believe Cixin Liu's Death's End is his magnum opus, a perfect end to a fantastic, at times disturbing but always incredibly original series! Everything is amplified in Death's End. Nothing is left for posterity, as Liu dwells deep into the human psyche, the survival of the human species and space exploration.

The Sci-fi concepts on Death's Endare incredible, and often left me in awe of his creativity and mastery of the subject!!!
Greg Tymn
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most difficult things about "hard science" SF is that many of the unique, ground-breaking physics ideas have been explored by prior writers, futurists and/or real-world theoretical physicists. Clearly, this trilogy contains echoes and whispers from all three groups. But it also contains a fresh set of physical theories that hold together within the context of the author-built universe. FTL travel and effects, characteristics of dimension changes, and "fundamental physics as a weapon" ...more
[Minor Spoilers] Rant about the 4th dimension 2 61 Feb 12, 2019 10:25AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Death's End [July 12, 2018] 26 78 Jul 21, 2018 08:56AM
What's with all the fish? 7 272 May 10, 2018 11:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count - Please Add 4 30 Dec 01, 2017 01:46PM
[Spoilers] What do you think happened next? 5 255 Oct 20, 2017 06:21PM
21st Century Lite...: The Three Body Problem - Death's End (April 2015) 27 261 Oct 04, 2017 02:27PM
The Sword and Laser: TTBP: Death's End (Book 3) 5 157 Jun 17, 2017 07:31PM

• The Redemption of Time
  • 三体2:黑暗森林
  • Children of Time (Children of Time #1)
  • The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • Exhalation: Stories
  • The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Seveneves
  • Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
  • The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1)
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #2)
  • Stories of Your Life and Others
Science Fiction fan and writer.

Liu Cixin also appears as Cixin Liu

Remembrance of Earth's Past (3 books)
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
“Weakness and ignorance are not barriers to survival, but arrogance is.” 94 likes
“If we lose our human nature, we lose much, but if we lose our bestial nature, we lose everything.” 34 likes