Start by marking “You'll Be Like Faye” as Want to Read:
You'll Be Like Faye

You'll Be Like Faye

In her second novel, J.C. Buchanan leaves the fairy kingdom behind and introduces her readers to Faye Corcoran, a regular 12-year-old girl in a typical suburban family. But is it a typical suburban family? And when Faye's best friend convinces her there's something suspicious about the new housekeeper, how far will Faye go for answers?
Published June 8th 2015 by Amethyst Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You'll Be Like Faye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You'll Be Like Faye

Start your review of You'll Be Like Faye
Madelyn
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a truly amazing book. So many of the aspects are new and exciting, I don't quite know where to start!

In general I don't do book overviews, because you can read that in the synopsis and there's always other reviews that give detailed descriptions, so I'll jump right into a few of my favorite characters:

Faye (main character): the author did something particularly special with this one. She made her an average girl without making her completely annoying and boring and stuck up. Nice!
Lindsey
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You’ll Be Like Faye is a fantastic sophomore novel from the young J.C. Buchanan. Following on the heels of her premier effort, The Hidden Amethyst, it reveals an enormous amount of growth for her as a storyteller.

The story follows the life of Faye, a middle-school girl with a seemingly ordinary life. She has a sarcastic, and somewhat emotionally truncated older brother, a little sister striving to keep up with her elder siblings while shining her own unique light, and two busy, loving parents t
Jesseca Wheaton
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I can't get over this book. Like seriously, I was so not expecting this. This is one of the best contemporary fiction books I have read, and that's saying something, because generally I don't enjoy contemporary!

The story starts off with Faye, a normal 12-year old girl living in a family of five. Their life seems pretty normal ... until Brittany comes.

Now, I did figure out who was who and who was keeping secrets pretty early on, but the book still kept me turning pages because I had to kno
Kate Willis
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

The writing style was exceptional; and, although I was figuring out the mystery pretty early on, there were still some shivers-up-and-down-my-spine surprises. My favorite character was definitely Ellie (she and Stella were so funny together!), and the part where she was hungry had me giggling inwardly. ;) I liked Faye a lot, but I hated how much her life had
Olivia
I'm impressed! Once I got reading this I finished it in a day. It helped that it's a simple, light read, but the story and characters also intrigued me. Since this was written by such a young author, I hardly knew what to expect, but this book was actually better than some adult authors I've read! That's saying something :) Although there is a lot more dialogue then descriptions, the dialogue exchanges were so good I didn't mind.

Anyway...the story! It was so fun and sad, especially the end. Fay
Avery Joy
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*This review is spoiler free!*
I absolutely loved this book! I read it in less than 24 hours! I couldn't put it down! Once I got the last 5 chapters I couldn't read fast enough! The characters were so well developed and I fell in love with all of them! The plot was incredible! You can definitely tell the author put lots of thought into it. And everything ties together perfectly in the end.

My favorite characters were Britney and Stella! The end of the was especially exciting! I cried at the end i
Clare
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excuse me while I wipe the tears off my face.

WOW. J.C has written an incredible story. I can see how much she has improved even since her first book!

This book is a mystery, focused on the character named "Faye".

J.C includes friendship, family, mystery, and many other things in "you'll be like faye". I recommend it to all ages. Very touching. I may have shed some tears XD
Bethany
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 12+
I had this book recommended to me by a Goodreads friend a couple of months ago, and shortly afterwards received the opportunity of reading it free in exchange for my honest review. I admit I was very skeptical as to whether I would enjoy it, at first. I’m glad to say I was completely wrong!
I had no idea what the whole mystery was, for most of the book. There was something really strange going on, but I couldn’t exactly place my finger on it, nor could I work out what Brittney and Naomi had to do
Kellyn Roth

Oh. My. Word.

This was an amazing book! I am soooo impressed! I mean, the author's just about my age, and she writes this! This story is so beautiful and heartbreaking and sweet and sad and happy that I just ... I mean, guys, this is tear-worthy! And you know how often I cry! (judging by the way I've been saying quite a few books are tear-worthy, recently, maybe I'm not as tough as I think I am ...)

Anyway, there are a few cons. Of course there are. There's no such things as the perfect n
Sarah Grace Grzy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 8-12
Shelves: childrens, indie
Rating: 3.5 stars.

Technically, this book was actually very sound; I was surprised that an author so young could nail the technicalities of punctuation, grammar, formatting, etc. The characters were also a ton of fun; my favorite was Faye's little sister, and Logan. He was great! Typical boy that age; he reminded me a lot of my younger brothers. I actually wasn't really a fan of Ellie; she seemed to be too over the top, in my opinion. Otherwise, the characters were great!

Story wise, I wasn't rea
Angie Thompson
This was an interesting story with a very engaging mystery and an unusual solution. Having things cut off where they did felt like a lot was left hanging (as far as the results of the solution), but I wasn't totally opposed to it and pretty much understood why it was left there (which is not my normal reaction to this kind of ending). I didn't like all the aspects of Faye's relationships with her siblings, but the ending scene actually made me cry. Definitely a lot of good emotions portrayed wit ...more
K.A. Pharrel
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m in utter disbelief that a 14 year old wrote this! Clearly well beyond her years, JC is definitely a super talented young author to watch out for. I think the best thing about this novel is that the fact that the author is an adolescent herself! She can 100% relate and translate her generation across to her peers. The dialogue, perceptions of the characters, definitely seemed to be a very accurate portrayal of the current adolescence years. If an adult were to write this it’s a very different ...more
Stacy Lynn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an Incredible book! Must read!!!
Josh
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery! I got chills in some places!
Millie Florence
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-kid-authors
You’ll Be Like Faye, made me laugh, cry, and flick through pages in suspense. The plot is unpredictable and surprising, the ending bittersweet.

The characters are as real, authentic, and quite likable. Definitely a strong point in the book. Faye’s friends, Ellie and Logan were some of my favorites, they both still make me laugh and roll my eyes at the same time. The whole book is the quintessence of normal, but warm and funny, life.

There are a few scenes in the first few chapters which feel unnee
Riley Rawls
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The synopsis hints that things aren’t exactly what they seem. But I honestly NEVER expected what happened. Going into this book and beginning with the normal, day to day life of 12-year-old Faye Corcoran, it seemed a fun, light-hearted, and completely relatable story. But the hinting of the synopsis soon comes to light. And WOW. The author did a wonderful job creating a sweet but ‘mysterious’ (as Ellie would say), and unpredictable plot. I had no clue what was going to happen until things starte ...more
Olivia J.
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received this novel in exchange for an honest review.

You'll Be Like Faye is a sweet and charming middle grade novel.The cyclical dialogue didn't seem to add much to the story most of the time, and Brittney should have been a more fleshed out character, but I did enjoy my time reading this book for the most part, and it succeeds on certain levels, but maybe it wasn't for me.

Read my full review at oliviajthewordshaker.blogspot.com
Olivia Scott
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book! The plot was well-thought out and super fun to read. I figured out the ~big twist~ pretty early on, so I would have liked to see some more mystery and subtlety surrounding that aspect of the book. However, the ending moved me nearly to tears, and overall I loved it. This is a perfect quick read for a rainy day and an awesome middle-grade novel!
Steve Buchanan
Mar 31, 2016
Jo-C Mertz
Apr 25, 2016
Favorite Character? 2 4 Aug 05, 2016 05:43PM
Writer of the crazy, reader of anything, artist when I feel like it, lover of chocolate, sister to three, friend to all and follower of Jesus. My name is J.C. Buchanan, and I’m a 17-year-old homeschool student from Illinois. I’ve been writing as long as I can remember and reading for even longer. When I’m not writing, thinking about writing, planning for writing, or reading, I’m likely hanging out ...more