Start by marking “Fate/Zero Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Fate/Zero Volume 1

Fate/Zero Volume 1

(Fate/Zero #1)

Expanding on the hit anime and novel series, Fate/Zero is a faithful manga adaptation that also offers extended scenes and never-before-seen content! Dive into Gen Urobuchi and Shinjiro's prequel to Type-Moon's Fate saga! The fourth Holy Grail War has begun, and seven magi must summon heroes from history to battle each other to the death. Only one magi and hero pair will r ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Dark Horse Manga (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fate/Zero Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fate/Zero Volume 1

Start your review of Fate/Zero Volume 1
usagi ☆ミ
“Fate/Stay Night” is one of those tricky series because it comes from a visual novel – that is to say, it has three different possible endings, and each one is totally different from the last. So when I heard (very late in the game, mind you) that Type-Moon, the original game creators, were writing a set of prequel novels – I was overjoyed, to say the least, and had high expectations. And happily, they didn’t let me down.

So now we know a lot of answers already thanks to this first book in what w
Mizuki
I really don't know that much about the Fate/Stay Night mytho, for I'd only read part of the anime series years ago, but with this sequel series: Fate/Zero, I am glad to learn more about the 4th Holy Grail War (which took place years before the War in the Fate/Stay Night storyline came up). It's so exciting, plus the author/scriptwriter Gen Urobuchi is really a freaking genius!

The main characters are quite charming, and the plot twists are fine, but as far as I know, it has to be noted that Gen
Kenchiin
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
For not being an official translation this was really good. I guess the story makes more sense if you've read or watched Fate/Stay Night, but it's a good read anyway.
Ruthsic
The fourth Holy Grail War has begun, and seven magi must summon heroes from history to battle each other to the death. Only one magi and hero pair will remain to claim the grail and have their wishes granted! Kiritsugu Emiya was once an assassin but now fights in this war to save the world from those who would destroy it with the grail’s power.

Prequel to the Fate/Stay Night series, Fate/Zero explores the events of the fourth Holy Grail War, the one which resulted in the events that lead to FSN.
Yasiru
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curiously, I find it difficult to imagine what it might be like to begin here with the Fate universe. Not that it's going to be tough to follow; I just think it would be peculiar and I can't decide whether it would improve Fate/Stay Night or not. Whatever the sequence, Saber and Shirou (via Kiritsugu) are more compelling for this story. The same might be said for Kirei, though he's a subdued danger (fittingly given his servant) except where the resonance with Kiritsugu is made stark.

Ideally I wo
Mel
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
I really enjoy this light novel. The volume one is an epilogue of the serie.

description

I was little shock at first because this is really what I was expecting, and with a first volume like that this serie have a good chance to go on the right direction.

I am really expecting a lot from this series, let's hope it will maintain the greatness of the original light novel.
Kshitij
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best anime in the world was originally a book. This book. That's all. Thank you.
Juushika
Review stands for the series entire. A war for possession of the wish-granting grail draws seven competing teams to Japan. This is my second time reading the books and my fourth-and-a-half time with the story, and that certainly says something about me but I hope it also says something about Fate/Zero. This is a story where, against all the odds, the serial killer self-actualizing with the help of his monsterbuddy isn't my favorite bit; my favorite is the complex, fractal web of motives and rela ...more
Filia Martin
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is for the manga. IDK why so many other reviews are for the novel, as this was the isbn for the manga. I want to read the novel, but atm, I haven't, so here we are.
Fate/Zero is one of my favorite anime titles, ever. So I came into this with high expectations. Was it disappointing? Is it worth it? Yes to being worth it, and kind of for being disappointing.
The manga closely follows the anime, but seems to skip some things. Not much, but some. The anime shows Waver summoning Rider, and
Bartosz Gawlik
I love the Fate franchise. Fate/stay night is one of my favorite video games of all time. Because of that, of course, I was familiar with Fate/Zero from the anime series by Ufotable. However, I am one of the people who think that Zero is a bit overrated and too serious for its own good. And reading the light novel did not change that. I still think that and also I realised how boring the beginning parts of the series are. The afterword from Gen Urobuchi was a treat but this first volume was stil ...more
Sally Yuen
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
I really enjoyed this book. I'll be honest, I've already watched the TV adaption of it, and I basically know the end of this story; but there are some fine details that you do miss out on if you don't read the original novel. I couldn't put it down- it still surprises me plot wise.
Kudos to the guys who translated the Japanese to English version, it was really professionally done, and I would have thought it was a real official translation from a publishing company.
Josh
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fate/Stay fans?
Recommended to Josh by: Shelf at Ogre
Interesting start / set-up to the story. I'm not sure how I feel about Kiritsugu wielding Saber (or as a character, for that matter). Irisviel seems like a character with a lot more going on to her than it seems at first. I'm looking forward to her story unfolding. As for Rider's Mage... I hope he develops into a more erstwhile character ~ if he's just comedic relief, I'll definitely not care for him.
Tiffany Martin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this was my first venture into reading Manga and this was recommended to me. At first, I didn't get it and it was "meh" but, about halfway through, I realized I had started really liking Kiritsugu and by the end, I was liking Saber a lot. Can't wait to continue this series. It is a great first venture into Manga! I certainly recommend it.
Jane Pontiñela
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my standard mage type of read. Maybe it's one of the reason why that after reading this, I'm reluctant to dive deeply into other works of latter animes/lightnovels in the present. It's been years since I've read this but the gripping eloquence, depth of storyline, and the complexity of characters of Gen Urobochi would always be my all-time favorite.
Ashley
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I really liked the idea of what the author was trying to do, but the overall execution was not the best. I love the idea that there are mages who summon different types of heroes to fight for the holy grail. There were so many elements and things to remember, and the overall story felt a little jumbled and difficult to follow at times. Not a bad read, but not my favorite.
Lara
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
gen urobuchi is the only man capable of hurting my feelings with a goddamn afterword, i adore him in the most pathetic way possible.
Dana
This is a manga adaption of Fate/Zero, which was originally a light novel series and was also made into an anime. This review is specifically for the Dark Horse publication of the first volume of the manga - it seems to have been combined with reviews for the original light novel, which does not have an official English translation at this point in time and is a completely different piece of media.

Also, Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night. There are a number of fans who think you should c
Mia
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In fact I felt a little disappointed when reading Fate/ Stay Night, after putting maybe too much expectation on it for such a awesome setting. The plot of F/SN did not depict the Holy Grail War I imagined - which can be dark, anxious and filled with hope, desires, as well as desperation and curses - but merely one side of a high school student who could hardly raise any of my interests. Perhaps this is because its origin was a visual game, but I must say that F/Z did far more better than F/SN. I ...more
Sean O'Hara
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-lit, fantasy
This is a novel that tries to answer that age old question -- who would win a fight between King Arthur, Alexander the Great and Gilgamesh? I say "tries to answer" because it takes three more books to resolve the question. But, hey, this isn't the sort of thing that should be rushed.

/Zero is a prequel to the TypeMoon visual novels /Stay Night and /Hollow Ataraxia, set about a decade earlier and telling of the great cluster-fuck of the Fourth Holy Grail War. The Grail Wars are contests held every
Online Eccentric Librarian
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, urban-fantasy, manga

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Fate/Zero stays true to the light novels, providing depth and nuances to the characters with solid illustration work. Although a bit 'talky', the characters aren't dumbed down and the plot of the source material remains intact. Fate/Zero takes place 10 years prior to the events of Fate/stay night, following a group of seven Servants under seven classes (assassin, beserker, archer, lancer, saber, caster, rider).

The sto
Doc
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, fate-series
Fate/Zero is a manga based on the anime and light novel and according to the back cover it is a faithful manga adaptation that also also offers extended scenes and never before scene content. It is also a Dark Horse Manga so I don't see an age rating but if I were to guess this series is rated Teen due to the nature of gladiatorial combat between spirits made flesh until only one is left and the winner gets to claim the Holy Grail.

Okay...I have alway been a fan of the Fate/Stay Night series so I
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is awesome! I'm not an anime watcher (only a manga reader) and this is is a prequel of the light novels and/or a retelling? of the popular anime. Because of this, I did find the beginning a little confusing to get into as I guess you are supposed to already know what is going on from being an anime fan, but once I got it sorted out and understood what the story was about I was hooked. The premise is really cool! I loved the pairing up of people with warriors from history and the plot of the ...more
Kelly
This abandonment is long overdue; I just can't keep going with this, even for a franchise I love. Urobuchi is, well, Urobuchi, there's barely a likable character among the overwhelming number of men in the cast, the few female characters (unsurprisingly) revolve around men in contrast to the complex and compelling heroines we had in Fate/stay night, and this Saber feels like one of the original's many clones. Nasu's hardly an astounding writer, but two-thirds of Fate/stay night's Holy Grail Wars ...more
Holly Letson
3.5*

This was my first journey into the *Fate* world. I must say that I was less than amazed. But, it did make me curious about whether the anime would be better. On that note, this is only the first volume of the F/Z series, so the next might be better.

I feel like this would be aimed better at someone who had read *Fate* mangas before or watched one (or more) of the *Fate* anime(s). It really didn't keep my attention as much as I would have liked. It felt like I was thrown into something that h
Candy Mercado
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know more of Kiritsugu's POV, read this.

A lot of things that I didn't understand in anime was explained here:
-Why Kiritsugu and Saber didn't team up, like normal 'Master and Servant'.
-Waver's character isn't as good as what I thought of him in anime
-Tokiomi and Kirei's relationship
-Kirei isn't as bad as I thought
(view spoiler)
-"What was that supposed to mean, Maiya!?"
-Kiritsugu <3

Now, off to vol. 2!
Joe Santoro
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
In Theory, I manga about 7 magicians that summon heroes of the past to battle it out for the Holy Grail sounds amazing... the execution was sorely lacking, though. I'm not sure if the author doesn't get it, or is just trying to hard to be cool and edgy, the 'heroes' are too out there, and the main characters too trope-y for this to be too exciting of a story.
Jill Jacob-Cabrera
I loved this. It was much darker than Fate/Stay. I especially liked the clashing of ideals of the term "king" or "ruler." I would definitely recommend this. Oh, for anime fans who have netflix... yeah, this is there.
Ella
May 22, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
Currently watching the anime. And loving it. So therefore, I must find some way to read the novel.
Selkie ✦ Queen
REVIEW TO FOLLOW
Tako Akhaladze
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It goes deeper into characters than the anime did and offers readers better understanding of their motives and backstories. I am very excited to read next three volumes.

• 魔法科高校の劣等生 1 入学編〈上〉 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #1)
  • ソードアート・オンライン 1: アインクラッド [Sōdo āto onrain 1: Ainkuraddo] (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #1)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 1 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #1)
  • Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活 7 [Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Vol. 7] (Re:Zero Light Novels, #7)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • Another [アナザー] 1st period
  • Re: ゼロから始める異世界生活 4 [Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Vol. 4] (Re:Zero Light Novels, #4)
  • Re: ゼロから始める異世界生活 5 [Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Vol. 5] (Re:Zero Light Novels, #5)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 2 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #2)
  • Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活 6 [Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Vol. 6] (Re:Zero Light Novels, #6)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 3 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #3)
  • Fate/Stay Night, Volume 1
  • 氷菓 [Hyouka]
  • 愚者のエンドロール [Gusha no Endorōru]
  • Penance
  • とある魔術の禁書目録 3 (Toaru Majutsu no Index, #3)
  • Zaregoto, Book 2: The Kubishime Romanticist
  • Deadman Wonderland, Vol. 1 (Deadman Wonderland, #1)
(虚淵玄 Urobuchi Gen) is a Japanese writer for visual novels, light novels, and anime. He is known for his dark style, nihilistic themes, and tragic plot twists, earning him the fan nickname "Urobutcher." Some of his more popular works include the 2003 visual novel Saya no Uta, the 2011 anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica, the 2012 anime Psycho-Pass, the light novel and anime Fate/Zero, and the 2013–2014 ...more

Fate/Zero (8 books)
  • Fate/Zero(6)煉獄の炎 [Rengoku no Honoo]
  • Fate/Zero 01 [2 in 1]
  • Fate/Zero 02 [2 in 1]

News & Interviews

“When that day is over, you must hold the child Illyasviel once more. Stick your chest out like a father.” 0 likes