Start by marking “Coding Games in Scratch” as Want to Read:
Coding Games in Scratch

Coding Games in Scratch

Did you know that Bill Gates, cofounder of Microsoft, wrote his first computer program-a tic-tac-toe game-at age 13? Coding Games in Scratch shows how kids can start coding their own games, too, using Scratch, a popular free programming language.

With Coding Games in Scratch, kids can build single and multiplayer platform games, create puzzles and memory games, race through
Published December 1st 2015 by DK Children

To ask other readers questions about Coding Games in Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coding Games in Scratch

Mistress of Romance Kim  Brown
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I had my 10 year old son this to read because he wants to program and design his own games. While he wants to design more complicated designs, he was able to easily follow along with the book and design images all by himself without any assistance from me.
I feel there is a huge hole in the market for boys in the 8-14 age and I'm excited to find a book that my son was excited to read. This is going to be a great reference book for him. I would love for the author to continue writing for addition
America Grelinger
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to a preview copy, I just finished this book last week . It took me awhile to finish the book because I was not just reading it, but following each page step by step. I had to create a game in order to fairly review this book. And it is time--I wanted to let you know it is ah-mazing. I am technologically challenged and I created a game in Scratch similar to Pong, but WAY better! The step by step instructions, with carefully placed illustrations were phenomenal. My ten year old son is a hu ...more
Devon Flaherty
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since my son is already obsessed with computers, we thought we should begin his education in programming, etc. Last year he did some fiddling with Scratch, a program which introduces kids to programming by having them use coding blocks to make games. He liked it. This book, however, he ended up hating. (You win some, you lose some, with kids.) The only reason? Some of the lessons took forever. But, considering that it takes a long time to code a more complex game, I’m not sure this could be avoi ...more
Abdullah Köksal
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's an excellent book to start coding in scratch. It has lots of funny games in it. And when you are coding, you are learning too. But if you want to learn coding, you have to read the writing. I finished the book myself, and now I feel like I can do lot more than that. But the hardest part about coding is(if you want to code things on your own)to find an idea that nobody has come up with. For example there are millions of the same game in scratch, from this book.
Coleen
Fun guide I picked up my Library's used book shop. Currently teaching myself Scratch since I will be helping with some future Scratch workshops. As a former HS teacher and programmer I always like to have an extra inspiration in my backpack.
Karla Winick-Ford
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Written to be used in conjunction with web-based scratch
Over my head in unfamiliar waters
Step by step instructions to help young coders develop conceptual understanding
Not the target age group I’m currently working with
Luis Moreno
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really nice way to introduce scratch, specifically games, step buy step. Illustrations are perfect and there different levels of complexity. Around 10 different games from which you can modify to create several more.
Teri
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coding, wishlist
I find my daughter picking this book up often and using it with Scratch. It's a great book to add to a young coder's library.
Rena
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 11 yr old son loves programming. He really enjoyed this book.
Kathy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you like gaming? Have you thought about designing and coding your own game? I'd heard about the coding language of Scratch but I couldn't wrap my head around how it could be made into a library program. This book is my key to understanding specifically how Scratch can be used. And Scratch is free from MIT! Look for my Scratch programs this coming fall.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Coding Games in Scratch is a beautifully presented, friendly, and very easy to use book designed to introduce kids to coding through creating their own games. The language used is Scratch and is easily available; kids also learn about basics behind game creation such as atmosphere and characters.

The book breaks down as follows: 1: Computer Games (What makes a good game, Atmosphere, Types of games, How coding works); 2: G
Chrissy
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids, parents with kids
My son is four and can't read so I read the book aloud and we do the projects together. Very fun for everyone. So far we are only at chapter 6, but the games have worked perfectly. It is nice to be able to decide how difficult it is to win a game and change the sounds. The book is so cute and colorful if you are like us you'll want to make all the games. Fantastic book and program for kids.
Great Books
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-12-14
Learn to code with Scratch, building games step-by-step including racing, maze, memory games and more. From basic to advanced skills in coding, this resource includes many visuals, with additional projects and tips for the uber learner. Reviewer 23
Tina Buster
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, non-fiction
*Thanks to Penguin Group for granting me access to a digital review copy through Edelweiss.*

This is an easy-to-follow guide that kids and adults can use to learn how to create simple games in Scratch. I like it!
Cassie
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a godsend right now as I'm teaching a library program about coding with Scratch. Clear instructions to make fun, basic games.
Catherine
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good intro into how to code a game on Scratch. The book starts off by going over the different terms used in the program and then goes step-by-step on how to make your own games.
Hanno Schwartz