Jump to ratings and reviews

A Cancer in the Family: Take Control of Your Genetic Inheritance

Oncologist and cancer gene hunter Theo Ross delivers the first authoritative, go-to for people facing a genetic predisposition for cancer

There are 13 million people with cancer in the United States, and it’s estimated that about 1.3 million of these cases are hereditary. Yet despite advanced training in cancer genetics and years of practicing medicine, Dr. Theo Ross was never certain whether the history of cancers in her family was simple bad luck or a sign that they were carriers of a cancer-causing genetic mutation. Then she was diagnosed with melanoma, and for someone with a dark complexion, melanoma made no sense. It turned out there was a genetic factor at work.

Using her own family’s story, the latest science of cancer genetics, and her experience as a practicing physician, Ross shows readers how to spot the patterns of inherited cancer, how to get tested for cancer-causing genes, and what to do if you have one. With a foreword by Siddartha Mukherjee, prize winning author of The Emperor of All Maladies, this will be the first authoritative, go-to for people facing inherited cancer, this book empowers readers to face their genetic heritage without fear and to make decisions that will keep them and their families healthy.

304 pages, Hardcover

First published February 2, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Theodora Ross

1 book7 followers
Theodora Ross, M.D., Ph.D., holds the Jeanne Ann Plitt Professorship in Breast Cancer Research and the H. Ben and Isabelle T. Decherd Chair in Internal Medicine, in Honor of Henry M. Winans, Sr., M.D. at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She specializes in cancer genetics.

Dr. Ross received her M.D. and Ph.D. from the Washington University Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) in St. Louis. She completed her medical residency in Boston at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, followed by a fellowship in oncology at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Prior to joining UT Southwestern, Dr. Ross served as a clinician and researcher at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where for many years she cared for women with breast cancer and investigated the basic cellular mechanisms of cancer cells and how those cells resist targeted cancer drugs.

Her laboratory at UT Southwestern continues this research and also investigates BRCA1, a breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility gene. In her clinical practice, Dr. Ross cares for individuals at a high genetic risk for any type of cancer. She also serves as the director of the UT Southwestern Cancer Genetics Program.

Outside of her official job, Dr. Ross has been a strong advocate for funding of basic cancer research. From 1997 to 2003, she served as president of Boston’s “Concert for the Cure,” a nonprofit organization that raises money for basic breast cancer research. In addition, she uses her experience with the Washington University and University of Michigan Medical Scientist Training Programs to help recruit for and grow UT Southwestern’s MSTP initiative, which trains the next generation of physician scientists.

Dr. Ross is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Society of Hematology, American Association for Cancer Research, and American Society for Clinical Investigation. She also serves on the Board of Consulting Editors for the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

(from https://profiles.utsouthwestern.edu/p...)

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 39 reviews
Profile Image for Deborah.
291 reviews
February 10, 2016

An empowering informative book about cancer genetics and family.
What an excellent book! Please, please, please read this if you have doubts, or even know you have hereditary familial cancer. It's full of information and one of the best bits is it doesn't read like a text book. Theodora Ross connects with her reader, I feel she brings science down to level where almost anyone can understand it.

'Cancer doesn't wait for you to get your paperwork in order!'

A supportive book about cancer genetics and family. With plenty of suggestions and advice on how to address family, whilst offering her own and others experiences. This book is loaded with knowledgeable, factual information.

On a more personal note...
I have been sticking my head in the sand so to speak for a little while. I found anytime I thought about doing something I had the weight of the world on my shoulders, after reading this book it has given me the kick up the bottom (courage) to do something about it. Before reading this book I had had an appointment with a genetics counselling team and they'd referred me onto a specific research group. I didn't follow up on the referral until now. As I was told (genetics team) genetic testing for pancreatic along with other cancers on 'healthy' people is in its infancy.

This book has touch me and one I will most definitely refer back to throughout my life.

Deepest thanks to Netgalley, author Theodora Ross and author Penquins Group Avery for the opportunity to read and give an unbiased and honest review in exchange for a copy of this book.
24 reviews1 follower
April 18, 2016
There are books that represent such a singular experience and expertise that they can only be written by one person. “A Cancer in the Family” is such a book, and Dr. Ross is that individual. This book is written in the voice of a friend, and deftly combines Dr. Ross’s own very personal story with her clinical and research expertise in a way that is compassionate and approachable while providing gentle guidance to the reader.

While this is a book about cancer, it is not without humor and levity making what could be a difficult topic more approachable. Dr. Ross is expert at explaining complex concepts including genetics, oncology treatments, and diagnostic processes and making them accessible to a reader. While her knowledge and expertise as a physician and scientist are evident throughout the book, she does not shy away from sharing her personal challenges as she faced her own family history.

This can be read cover-to-cover as I did, but I envision it has a longer life to many readers as a document to be passed among family members, used to start conversations, and something that is returned to as a trusted reference. “A Cancer in the Family” not only gives the tools to begin a difficult dialogue within families, but also can actually act as that tool. The importance of communication, honesty and love in families and finding their own truth resonates throughout this book. I can’t recommend it more highly.
20 reviews
March 25, 2016
We have come a long way from the days in which cancer was embarrassedly referred to as “the Big C”, and then dropped totally from conversation. Since those days many new diagnostic and therapeutic measures have evolved, but only lately has the realization that many predispositions to cancer development have their bases in mutant genes which ordinarily protect the body from malignancy. Scientists and clinicians are now working on identifying, classifying and detailing the cancer-provoking risks of a host of mutant genes with known linkage to many types of cancer, and involving patients and entire families with prevalent histories of certain cancers to seek genetic counselling and possible testing for presence or absence of mutant genes which are “bad actors”.
“A Cancer in the Family”, by Theodora Ross, M.D. Ph. D., is a remarkably lucid and sympathetic voyage through the genetics of cancers, and the role of mutant genes in the inherited DNA of individuals with a high percentage of such cancers. Using her own personal knowledge of a mutant gene, BRCA1,
predisposing to a high likelihood of breast and ovarian cancer as a nodal focus, Dr. Ross, a researcher and clinician who treats cancer patients, gently, patiently discusses in understandable terms the molecular biology of inheritance, the transformation of part of the DNA strand into a potentially harmful mutation, and the reason that this mutation affects the ability of one’s body to identify and eradicate the resulting malignant cells. She stresses the importance of gathering a thorough collection of family pedigree of presumed cancer and taking this to a qualified genetic counselor, who, in turn, will advise whether specific testing of specimens be done to identify likely mutant genes. She walks the reader through the difficulties in obtaining reliable information from family members, choosing and interviewing with a counselor and even where testing is best performed. Best of all, she provides constant reassurance and comfort to the person undergoing this process, with the upbeat message that the knowledge of one’s possessing a mutant gene will be ultimately a positive step in assuring better health for oneself and one’s entire family.
In later chapters she details therapeutic options, including surgery, radiotherapy, and the burgeoning host of currently used chemotherapeutic interventions (hormonal, kinase and PARP-inhibiting, therapeutic antibodies, and immune therapies, alone and in combination). Concluding chapters stress the importance of ongoing involvement in research, and the pathway which new drugs must take before approval by the FDA. In appendixes, there is an exhaustive compilation of inherited cancer syndromes, and of risk management strategies for these syndromes. There is a sizable bibliography, and, helpfully, an index.
The author’s recounting of the many personally experienced conflicts, both external and internal, the warmth and buoyant attitude with which she retells her own family’s story and the multiple mini-histories of patients she has treated mark the book as utterly different from the coldly scientific literature about the same subject, and make it a pleasure to read.
Given the long-recognized barriers in physicians’ abilities to conducting meaningful dialogue with patients at risk for, or with known malignancy “A Cancer in the Family” should be required reading for all physicians with interactions with patients, whether medical students, residents or established clinicians. It would be a valuable resource for nurses and other caregivers interacting with the same population. For the general reader, and most particularly for the reader with questions about possibly inherited predisposition to cancer, this is the Go-To volume to begin the long journey to understanding and ultimately well-informed actions.

Laurence J. Krenis, M.D.
Wellesley Hills, MA

Profile Image for Carol.
1,570 reviews22 followers
January 31, 2016
A Cancer in the Family: Take Control of Your Genetic Inheritance is a guide to inherited cancers that is written for the patient. Theodora Ross, M.D., Ph.D. has an excellent background and experience in cancer genetics. She has cancer on both sides of her family and that is part of the reason that she decided to go into the field. She has the BRCAI mutation. Her personal introduction to cancer was a melanoma. She was young, olive skinned with dark brown eyes and hair. Why did she get melanoma, she wasn't the usual candidate? There were two clues that it was inherited. One is that she was young when she had melanoma and that her sister died of breast cancer when she was young. Cancer mutations do not just involve one type of cancer. With the type of cancer that her sister had, came an increased risk for melanoma among other cancers. There were clues like her ancestry. The gene itself protects against those cancers. It was the mutation that put her into danger. Not all mutations are evil but this one is.

This book is part mystery, a lot of recent science and is narrated by the author as if she is your good friend. She has chapters that explain what happens during genetic counseling and why it is so beneficial. She has had it herself.

I think that is an extremely useful tool for anyone thinking about getting genetic counseling or someone who just wants to learn more about cancer. There is an appendix which gives information on the different kinds of inherited cancers and another for risk for inherited cancer syndromes and a great resource section in the back of the book. This is a book that I will keep around for reference and possibly re-reading. I am positive that Theodora Ross, M.D, Ph.D filled a great need for cancer patients when she wrote this book.

I received this Advance Reading Copy from the publisher as a win from FirstReads but that in no way influenced my thoughts or feelings in this review.

Profile Image for Taylor.
1 review
March 24, 2016
As a young woman and daughter of a cancer survivor, this book was the perfect thing to read during my mid 20s. I have always had many questions about cancer, but have been unsure of where to go for answers. A Cancer in the Family was immensely helpful and finally provided the answers I had been seeking. In addition to providing much needed information, this book was wonderfully well written and told a story that I genuinely wanted to keep reading. As both a scientist and cancer-survivor, Dr. Ross has a unique perspective on an issue that, unfortunately, almost everyone I know has had a direct/indirect experience with. If anyone in your remote family has had cancer I highly recommend this book!
Profile Image for Zhen.
27 reviews
July 9, 2016
I did not read the entire book carefully, not because that I found the book bad or not worthy. Nothing like that. It's more of a handbook and guide than a pop science book. I think only people are in doubts and in need will make full use of the book. For me, I've learned a few things from it, but I think there is how much more one can gain from it if they are more motivated than me. That is to say, people who think they are at risk of hereditary cancer. The arrangements of content is very clear, which makes it easy to navigate. In short, knowing your family health records is important. Be honest and open to testing mutation. The rest you will worry about when it comes to that and the book will help.
Profile Image for Carol Ryan.
Author 2 books5 followers
July 2, 2016
For whatever reasons, my parents always lived at least 1000 miles from relatives. So, I lack much health information about my extended family. After reading 'A Cancer in the Family: Take Control of Your Genetic Inheritance' I realize even close families often hide cancer experiences from relatives. My ignorance on this topic is, alas, rather common.

Dr Theodora Ross tells a personal and professional true story that convinces me to investigate my own family's health history. If I find there are cancer clusters, I'll look into the genetic tests she suggests. I'm convinced!

Dr Ross discloses her story in a suspenseful way. She also provides detailed information cancer patients need or want to know. Quite honestly, I never expected to enjoy this book. It is well worth reading.
Profile Image for J. Ewbank.
Author 4 books35 followers
December 30, 2015
Dr. Ross has given us a book of exceptional help. We do not know everything about the genetic inheritance, but we do know some and we are learning all the time. She brings us up to date in this rapidly growing, or exploding field with what problems we find in our genes and how they may or may not affect us or others in our family. It was fascinating to read about the problems with our genes and some of the ways we have used our knowledge to fight the diseases that certain of us are susceptible to. Good job.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me About the United Methodist Church"
1 review1 follower
March 24, 2016
n Dr. Ross's insightful new book, we are allowed to see the human being behind the lab coat. She navigates the difficult journey from her own cancer diagnosis to tracing its roots through her family tree with emotional honesty. Her large family acts much like the rest of ours would when facing a cancer crisis, displaying secrecy, denial, fear and ultimately love, strength and courage. With this very readable book, 'A Cancer In The Family' lets us feel like we have a cancer specialists sister, answering all our questions and even making us laugh to ease the stress. Highly recommend this wonderful book.
243 reviews1 follower
May 21, 2016
This is a pretty good book for someone who has a family history of cancer and isn't quite sure where to start in thinking about it. The main focus is on genetic testing for mutations related to cancer and what the process for that looks like, what types things people should consider in choosing people to help them through the process and what they can expect from the process. That said, it does go a little bit into how cancer develops and why having a "cancer gene" isn't necessarily a cancer sentence. I would have liked to have seen a little more about the causing and medical prevention methods, but given the overall focus of the book, I do think it did it's job.
Profile Image for Mari Reive.
9 reviews1 follower
April 25, 2016
Love love loved this book. This is a must read for anyone who might have genetic mutations that predispose them to cancer. Dr Ross has laid the facts out in a most helpful way, even using her own family to help illustrate the facts.

As we know genetics play such an important part in our health, I am hoping that Dr Ross and researchers like her will help the adoption community get access to their heritage that a lot of us don't have.
April 1, 2016
Dr. Ross has written a very accessible book on a difficult topic that she approaches through the lens of her own family. Readers navigating the waters of their own genetic inheritance will find this not only thorough in its research and information, but also supportive of the emotional trauma and misunderstandings that surround the world of cancer. This is a wonderful resource and compelling read.
Profile Image for Reddwhine.
123 reviews4 followers
April 29, 2016
This was a Netgalley book that I was happy to review. The book was informative and interesting. Having lost a parent to colon cancer and knowing that I am at risk of getting the same disease, I was interested in reading this book on a personal level. I wish this book had been around when my mother was diagnosed. My only complaint was that the book did drag a bit and might have been pared down some, but over all it was worthwhile.
27 reviews
March 23, 2016
I recommend this book to anyone who suspects they may have an inheritable cancer that runs in their family. The author gives a step by step guide to help the reader to find the truth and then to deal with it. Excellent guide.
1 review1 follower
May 2, 2016
I heard Terry Gross rave about Dr. Ross' new book on NPR. She was right. It's a wonderful book. Originally I bought it for the science but ended up reading it for the story. It's a great read. Highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Tfalcone.
2,124 reviews12 followers
October 14, 2015
Good summary of inherited cancers. Makes the case for DNA testing and genetic counseling.
1,275 reviews32 followers
January 2, 2016
This could be a text book about cancer...but it is not. The Author tells the story of cancer in her own family and that keeps the book interesting and easy to relate to.
Profile Image for Connie Collins Johnson.
145 reviews9 followers
February 21, 2016
Great book about how to deal with genetic information, how to decide if you should get it, and the implications. Written from the perspective of a physician with BRAC 1. Very informative
1 review
March 28, 2016
Dr. Ross has an amazing way with words, people and science. This book is the perfect culmination of all three.
Profile Image for Nathan Albright.
4,414 reviews96 followers
September 30, 2017
This author really wants you to like her.  This book has a dual aim, and the author's agenda depends a lot on her likability.  On the one hand, the more likable one, the author writes as a cancer survivor from a family with some secrets and truthiness regarding their background as well as their family medical history.  On the other hand, though, the author has the agenda of using her family story as a way of encouraging certain risky and serious medical procedures to proactively reduce the chance of cancer, and she clearly is a booster for the expensive medical industry that has surrounded cancer as well as genetic screening.  These two agendas sit uneasily together, as the timeless value of worthwhile stories mixed like oil and water with the gimmicky procedures that the author recommends that may well already be obsolete and no longer recommended.  As someone whose dealings with cancer have thus far been slight [1], this was not a book I was able to fully relate to.  My own medical experience and that of my closest family are with painful chronic conditions that the medical profession has a slight to negligible skill in being able to deal with, which has not generally encouraged me to have a great deal of faith in either the competence of the professionals or the efficacy of a great deal of their approach.

In terms of its contents, this book, including its appendices, comes up to a bit more than 250 pages.  The author begins with a discussion of knowledge that can save the lives of some people, along with a lengthy discussion of the relationship between biology and destiny and the genetic nature of all cancers.  After that the author discusses how to deal with both silence and drama when building a family history.  The author then turns to a discussion of the problem of truthiness in ourselves and in our medical professionals.  What follows is a discussion about genetic testing and genetic counseling as well as how to manage cancer risk when information is limited.  The main contents of the book are then completed with a discussion of targeted treatments for cancer as well as the relationship between people and data points, where the author shows herself a bit too enthusiastic about patient participation in medical big data projects.  The book then closes with some acknowledgements and a detailed discussion of inherited cancer syndromes and their treatments in two appendices.

Ultimately, I was unable to fully appreciate this book for two reasons.  For one, my own family history with cancer is not so dire as to make it a matter of the utmost importance to engage in genetic testing in order to fight against the sorts of cancers discussed in this book.  Nor are my own environmental conditions so dire as to increase the risk of cancer dramatically as I neither drink nor smoke.  When this lack of perceived urgency and importance is combined with a distinct lack of trust of the author because she appears to be trying to manipulate the reader by using her experience as a way of building trust and intimacy in order to support dubious and expensive medical procedures, the result is a book that cannot help but encourage a great deal of suspicion on my part.  Many readers may feel differently about this book--certainly the author works hard to gain the reader trust and also has a large amount of intriguing stories about cancer and the effect of genetic predisposition and the importance of history, including one story I will not spoil that involves the famous feuding McCoys and a disease that may have predisposed them to aggression.  Unfortunately, though, at the end of the day this book is simply too preoccupied with its agenda to win my trust.

[1] See, for example:

8 reviews1 follower
September 23, 2016
I have had a lot of mixed feelings as far as genetic testing goes. My friends and I have had several discussions about it, and whether or not we would WANT to know if we have a predisposition to certain cancers and diseases. After reading only the first few chapters of this book, Dr. Theodora Ross is able to empower the reader to make an informed decision on whether or not to seek genetic testing. She explains her medical path, her own diagnosis, and her studies in the genetic inheritance of cancer causing mutations in a way that is easy to understand; this helps the reader to make an informed decision about his or her own decision about genetic testing.

There is so much that I did not understand about cancer and genetics that she is able to explain in a way that gave me an "ah-ha!" moment. I get it now. You can go onto the internet and read all about certain types of cancers, but she really breaks down which cancers are related and could be a sign of inheritance. She also discusses how the results of such genetic testing can help the patient to make lifestyle changes and/or medical decisions that can significantly reduce the likelihood of developing certain cancers.

I am so happy that I found this book. My father passed away last December from brain cancer... the oncologists and radiologists and doctors and nurses all tell you that they don't know what causes brain cancer (glioblastoma) and that it is not curable; there was no Hope. This book has shown me that it could possibly be related to a mutation (when paired with other "clues" from the same side of the family). I am now more inclined to seek genetic testing.
Profile Image for Colleen.
35 reviews
February 6, 2016
Cancer in the Family is part memoir, part cancer biology tutorial, and part genetic counseling sales pitch. The author's story is interesting, and her information is solid, but I just don't know who the intended audience of this book is. For example, the explanation of genetics is extremely basic, but the information she provides about treatment and risk factors would be hard to understand without some background in biology. I imagine this imbalance will leave half the audience bored and the other half confused. Similarly, much of the book makes a persuasive argument in favor of genetic testing for those with family histories of cancer. But how many people can there be who are worried enough about their family history to read this entire book, but not worried enough to consult a doctor about it? Again, it seems like the author is not sure who her readers will be. Overall, it's a fine book with some good information, but is somewhat lacking in depth and direction.

*first read giveaway*
Profile Image for Leighana.
14 reviews1 follower
December 2, 2017
This is a great resource for anyone that has a family history of cancer or anyone who is interested in the subject. The book mainly focuses on medical treatments, explaining genetic mutations, and genetic counseling. I was expecting some information on lifestyle factors and how to reduce your risk, but that was not really touched on. Dr. Ross does not dumb down the science, so it might be a little challenging if you're not familiar with science, but she explains these concepts very well. You would think this subject would be dry and sad, but she manages to keep it interesting and hopeful. Her tips for compiling your own family health history are great.
Profile Image for Amy Shainman.
Author 1 book108 followers
August 7, 2016
As a BRCA/Hereditary Cancer Advocate I was excited to read Dr. Ross' book. While I thoroughly enjoyed it, part handbook, part memoir, it's definitely worth the purchase just for the index! Pages 201-266 list inherited cancer syndromes by name and associated gene. Lifetime cancer risks associated with each syndrome are also spelled out in addition to current risk management guidelines for both women and men.

Those interested in health and science would enjoy this book.
Medical students and ALL DOCTORS in ALL SPECIALTIES would benefit from reading this book.
@BRCAresponder

942 reviews3 followers
August 24, 2017
Excellent book that I highly recommend to anyone who thinks there may be a heritary cancer in your family. It gives clear advice on what to look for and what actions to take and is empowering, not panic-enducing.
Profile Image for S.
610 reviews9 followers
Shelved as 'abandoned'
July 29, 2017
Stopped at page 25
Profile Image for Sahi Chundu.
5 reviews
January 13, 2022
listen to the audiobook on 2-2.5 speed

Notes

Mutations in cells => cancers. Mutations happen every single day and minute to everyone and are not malicious the vast majority of the time.

BRCA1 is a gene. The mutation of this gene multiplies your chance of getting cancer.

BRCA1 - 1-2% -> 40% likelihood of breast cancer in women w/o vs with BRCA1 mutation
12% -> 50-87% likelihood of ovarian cancer in women w/o vs with BRCA1 mutation
BRCA1 -> in Ashkenazi Jews

Stress does NOT cause cancer, research is wrong on that. Obesity does. The overlap between stress and obesity and stress and alcoholism lead to the misleading statement that stress causes cancer. Inadvertently, it may through these other things but standalone, it does not.

Ionizing radiation + asbestos = increase mutations

The human body can handle a lot of genetic mutations at a time, a lot of mutations happen in general all the time every day and virtually none of them are malignant.

Inherited cancer = 10% of all cancer cases, most cancer is developed over time

Smoking-damaged cells in sperm can harm woman and fetus.

Tamoxafin -> first used as a contraceptive, later used as the first cancer treatment drug

Importance of comprehensive genetic screenings before 30.

"You have to make decisions using the most information you got." Nearly all hereditary information will be incomplete in some way, which is scary, but you have to remember that everyone is in the same boat.

Colon cancer = must remove colon. Some cancers require body parts to be surgically removed or altered in order to actually improve chances of survival.

Stop smoking, do exercise, no alcohol.

If you have a high genetic risk for cancer, get checked. Screenings don't prevent cancer, and aspirin/certain drugs can reduce colon cancer.

Closing Advice: DON'T let decisional paralysis impair your ability to act in your best interests.

On chemo and mastectomy, "I want to look like the kind of person I want to be friends with." - don't worry about beauty when it comes to cancer treatment. Do what you have to and consider alternatives like moving fat from your waist into your breasts. This is actually a very popular treatment nowadays
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,353 reviews15 followers
January 7, 2020
The author is an oncologist and cancer researcher. She uses her personal history with cancer and her discovery of a heritable genetic mutation to explain how to go about being an advocate for cancer patients and their families. She talks about how she missed the possibility of a heritable cancer in her own family until she was diagnosed at a young age with melanoma. The author discusses the process of collecting the information to be informed about your family history and the complexities of deciding how to reach out to family and to be respectful of what to share and how to share information. The book includes an appendix discussing some of the more common heritable cancer genes, explaining what cancers may arise and what screenings may be necessary for those who carry a mutation. She also discusses the importance of being your own advocate and how genetic counselors can play an important role in helping to determine risk and possible courses of action in conjunction with oncology professionals.
Profile Image for Cheryl.
26 reviews
August 28, 2021
The science of cancer treatment and how it has progressed since my mother's fatal cancer in 1972 reads like a detective novel. Researchers seem to have made centuries of progress in just the last few decades, especially in regards to genetic cancer research. In the back of my mind I've always wondered if I had the genetic mutation that would put me at risk for the same cancer and recently I had genetic testing that revealed no genetic mutation in spite of three generations of fatal breast cancer on my family tree. The mysteries of this, as well as the masterful research that gave me effective treatment for my cancer, made this book a page turner for me. Medical research doesn't have all the answers, but I'm grateful they are continually willing to prove themselves wrong in search of better and better answers for all of us.
Profile Image for Robyn Gardner.
19 reviews1 follower
September 15, 2019
This book was so relatable and was written in a way that could be understood by even those with little to no medical knowledge. It expressed a lot of things I couldn't put words to, as one who has cancer in the family and a BRCA2 mutation. A great read!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 39 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.