Start by marking “Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot” as Want to Read:
Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot

Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot

Aubrey’s father, Jim, has fallen under an horrendous spell, which Aubrey is determined to break. Everyone says his task is impossible, but Aubrey will never give up and never surrender – even if he must fight the unkillable Spirit of Despair itself: the TERRIBLE YOOT!

The first children's book from Horatio Clare, the award-winning author of 'Running for the Hills', 'A Singl
Published September 17th 2015 by Firefly Press

To ask other readers questions about Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot

Start your review of Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot
Jenny Holder
This book really resonated with my own personal experiences with depression. It was beautifully written and I feel it spoke clearly and at a child’s level about mental illness. It does touch on some particularly sensitive issues so care would be needed if reading as a whole class reader.
Chris
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
An only child, Aubrey lives with his parents in a small town somewhere in mainland Britain. From birth he has proved himself outstanding in refusing to live down to expectations, and gets on with doing things which aren't always beyond his capabilities. Until the day that he becomes convinced that his father has been put under a spell. Followed soon after by realising he can talk to animals.

I can't emphasise how much I enjoyed this children's book, focused on a rambunctious boy. (You knew, of co
Stephen Connor
A truly wonderful read, taking in Aubrey's journey in dealing with his father's depression. Difficult topic areas are tackled head-on, but not without sensitivity, and an honest account of depression and suicidal thoughts are brought to the fore. Horatio Clare writes with an ethereal touch: humour is on almost every page, footnotes explain concepts and ideas to the reader, and everything that happens just is. And that is life - sometimes, things happen that we can't explain, but we must try and ...more
Katy Noyes
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An open look at depression for young readers

It's not a topic you see often for children, but it will be something many encounter, probably through family members primarily. Horatio Clare puts it into a context that primary-aged readers will find accessible and able to discuss it using.

Aubrey notices his dad becoming sadder and sadder, before a charismatic and energetic English teacher, he now seems to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders and doesn't play, talk or even get out of bed an
Ludmila Marton
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"Here is writing and storytelling at its best. Here is a wondrous tale," blurbed Michael Morpurgo this book. Now after few disappointing experiences I'm a little bit cautious about blurbs by famous authors. But Mr. Morpurgo wasn't exaggerating. This is a fantastic book.
It is a look at depression through childs eyes, pure and fortunate not to understand such a thing yet which makes him a perfect "warrior" to fight it. The person suffering from depression is Aubrey's father and although this is a
Ben Trevail
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52books2017
A brilliant book dealing with a difficult subject: depression. Accessible but with a good amount of challenging vocabulary (e.g. Rambunctious), perfect for LKS2 but would need to tread carefully around suicide and dark thoughts.
skippity_doo
An easy 5 stars. Funny, tragic, heart-warming and yes, it made me cry - a totally assured & lyrical book, yet balanced with enough humour to stop it becoming saccharine.

Likely to be my Carnegie nom!
Charlotte Latham
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A good story with an important message about depression accessible to younger readers.
H.S.
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
A wonderful, humorous story about a difficult subject. I hope it reaches children with a depressed parent. (And their parents as it might even work as a self help book.)
Stella
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super writing. Deserves more awards (Branford Bose Award Winner 2016) Brilliant. Well done author and illustrator
Agnès
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full of insight, sensitivity and humour, with a touch of magic.
Mira de la curiosithèque
Quelle jolie métaphore du combat contre la dépression ! Quelle écriture inventive : on voyage dans ce livre comme dans un conte ! Quelle leçon de vie, simple et efficace !
Jordan King
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic and fantastical little novel that sensitively but boldly tackles depression head on, offering children an imaginative and witty plane on which to communicate with themes of mental health and sadness, whilst offering adults a purposeful way to break the ice and have some otherwise difficult conversations in a way that is frequently entertaining and constantly engaging. Aubrey truly is a rambunctious character and a great protagonist, whilst his father, mother, nosey neighbour, and man ...more
Tweedledum
Sheer genius! A fantastic, clever, funny, yet deeply moving story about a boy who just wants to try and understand what's happened to his dad and how he can help him. Other reviewers have said it much better than me. So pleased to have stumbled across this author. Should be read in classrooms everywhere.
Thepainterofmodernlife
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a magnificent book and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it from start to finish in one sitting. It's the kind of book that makes it abundantly clear why reading makes children (and adults) better writers: full of metaphors, similes, rich vocabulary and imaginative adventures. It doesn't shy away from deep and difficult subjects, so it could be a useful read for a child who's struggling to understand their own feelings or those of the people around them. It's a heart-warming reminder of ...more
Delphine
Un roman intéressant de par le sujet qu'il aborde et l'angle par lequel il l'aborde. Un sujet difficile, celui de la dépression d'un père, vécue par son fils. Le parti pris de mélanger une dure réalité, la santé mentale et le conte de fées (des animaux qui parlent et agissent comme des humains pour le bien d'humains). Un livre qui constitue une bonne première approche pour aborder cette question avec les plus jeunes.
georgia bookblast
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny and fearless, Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot is a modern-day fable that mixes real family life with fantastical woodland creatures and a more than a touch of myth and mystery, to tackle the theme of depression head on, complemented by unforgettable line drawings by illustrator Jane Matthews.

Reviewed on The BookBlast® Diary 2017
Martina
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book full of amazing human and animal characters. If you want your child to understand the nature of suffering mental illness this will definitely do it and the depiction is very fitting. At the same time there is lot of magic and also fun. Very nature loving book. Also enjoyed the footnotes. Hope the next book of Abrey's adventures with terrible spiders is just as good.
Lindsay
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An inventive and honest way in for children to understand depression.
Brigita
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
The book deals with a difficult topic in a heartfelt and funny way. The characters (animal and human) are delightful. Definitely recommend.
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
I'm sorry. I didn't like this book. It was a good idea, but I felt that it was aimed at really young children, yet there was this part near the end where I thought - are young children really meant to read that? The humour was cringy and annoying. it wasn't for me.
Rachael
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A brilliant story for children talking about mental health and depression in a relatable way with a bit of adventure and animals.
Matt Hunt
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: skippity_doo
Shelves: 2016, animals, misery
Very good fun and quite a bit emotional.
Val
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An easy read and quite sweet. Hearing the author speak persuaded me to give this a try and I'm glad I did.
Justine Laismith
Cleverly written for MG readers about living with someone who has depression. The story was told at the right level.
Luigi Pepe
Feb 16, 2019
Elizabeth Beverley
Oct 12, 2016
Familybookworms
Mar 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)
  • The Day I Was Erased
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Le clan des loups (La légende des quatre, #1)
  • Something to Talk About
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)
  • The Good Thieves
  • Le clan des tigres (La légende des quatre, #2)
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Le Clan des Serpents (La Légende des Quatre, #3)
  • Uki and the Outcasts
  • The Swap
  • Minoes
  • Refugee 87
  • The Day the Crayons Came Home
  • The Light Jar
Horatio Clare (b. 1973) is a writer, radio producer and journalist. Born in London, he and his brother Alexander grew up on a hill farm in the Black Mountains of south Wales. Clare describes the experience in his first book Running for the Hills (John Murray 2006) in which he sets out to trace the course and causes of his parents divorce, and recalls the eccentric, romantic and often harsh conditi ...more

News & Interviews

“It doesn't make any sense, does it?"
"Some things don't," said the beetle, gloomily.
"Don't be so sure," Aubrey said. "Everything makes sense if you can find the right way to look at it. What we need is a new perspective.”
0 likes