Start by marking “Nothing but the Dead and Dying” as Want to Read:
Nothing but the Dead and Dying

Nothing but the Dead and Dying

"Bradley's stories will grab you by the balls and not let go." —Bonnie Jo Campbell, National Book Award nominated author

"Beautiful, dangerous, hardcore, and strong enough to break your ice-brittled bones." —David Abrams, author of Fobbit

A woman flees the hospital even as her infant son is breathing his last breaths. An aging construction worker comes to grips with the end
Paperback
Published December 2nd 2015 by Civil Coping Mechanisms

To ask other readers questions about Nothing but the Dead and Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing but the Dead and Dying

Lori
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The long awaited release ofNothing but the Dead and Dying is exactly that, a collection of short stories that all revolve around the dead, the dying, and the not-yet-born. Prepare yourself for sex and unwanted pregnancies, ill infants and parents who just can't deal, people recovering from or suffering because of something, a couple of dead dogs, and a handful of absent fathers.

Within these beautifully told stories, Ryan has created tiny worlds that are just as bleak and ruthless as the cold, A
Benoit Lelièvre
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perused through the majority of this bad boy in one fiery, surreal Sunday while nursing a monster hangover and slipping back and forth into unconsciousness. It was perfect, lead me to dream dreams filled with snow, drama and domestic tragedies. It's my third Bradley and while I find his style thoroughly engaging and his honesty raw and destabilizing, I was surprised not to find his trademark haunting spareness in this collection.

NOTHING BUT THE DEAD AND DYING has more in common with a gritty Ray
Dennis Zachman
Stands with Hemingway's earlier short works, or, Salinger's 'Nine Stories', as a strong memorable collection of stories. I'm going to read more from this author.
Panagiotis
Ο Bradley είναι ένας άνθρωπος δεμένος με τον τόπο που γεννήθηκε, ζει και εργάζεται. Οι ιστορίες του σ' αυτήν την συλλογή διαδραματίζονται στην Αλάσκα, με τον κόσμο μάλλον να μην μπορεί να ξεφύγει από την μοίρα του. Ο τόπος τους κρατάει σαν αιχμαλωτισμένα έντομα, να ζουν μια ζωή σκληρή, μουντή, δίχως ελπίδα για μια άσπρη μέρα.

Δεν είναι λίγοι οι συγγραφείς που καταπιάνονται με τόπους όπου καθορίζουν τη μοίρα των ανθρώπων τους. Εκεί όπου αν γεννηθείς, οι πιθανότητες να ξεφύγεις από την μοίρα των πρ
Anna
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I live in a country of perpetual sunshine, sandy beaches, excellent seafood, a complete cliché by most accounts. So here is what's exotic to me: Perpetual snow. The arctic circle. Sunless winter days. The midnight sun. Alaska.

There's 24 stories here, heart-wrenching or hopeful, depending on your outlook. There are no resolutions on offer, no shortcuts, everything is open-ended. The book is filled with tales of second chances, making amends, trying your best, coming to terms with bitter truths. T
Frederic
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very, very good collection. Actually, you know what? It's a great collection. I read Bradley's Winterswim a while back, and I loved that one, too. Winterswim edged close to horror at times. I mean, there were some wonderfully nasty bits in that one. But Nothing but the Dead and Dying took me to another place. It took me back into a kind of Carver country. I have dubbed Ryan W. Bradley the Alaskan Raymond Carver after reading these tales, and I think you'll know why once you pick the bo ...more
Jan Dale
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A stunning collection of short stories. Bradley's description of loss, love and work in the Arctic is hard-hitting and compassionate. A gem!
Andrea
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As somebody said it before (and better): Bradley's stories grab you, and they punch you.
I >h*a*t*e< sports, yet that story about an old prof player really moved me. If you like short stories you must check this out.
Hetch Litman
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this is a stellar collection of short fiction. so much humanity packed in theses pages. this is the first book I've read from this author and if this is any indication of the talent that may be found ib his longer form fiction I'm going all in.
Charlene
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved all the stories I read in Ryan Bradley’s Nothing But the Dead and Dying, straightforward, real tales about people who don’t seem to have been born with a lot of luck, who don’t seem to make a lot on their own. Bradley dishes it, dishes it hard, making for a sobering read.
Rosetta Marie Archie

• Death Don't Have No Mercy
  • Doll Palace
  • A Deep and Gorgeous Thirst
  • You Can Make Him Like You
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • In the Season of Blood and Gold
  • No Heroics, Please: Uncollected Writings
  • Out of the Blue: New Short Fiction from Iceland
  • Exigencies
  • Vile Men
Ryan W. Bradley has pumped gas, changed oil, painted houses, swept the floor of a mechanic's shop, worked on a construction crew in the Arctic Circle, fronted a punk band, and managed an independent children's bookstore. He now works in marketing for a library system. He received his MFA from Pacific University and has been published widely online and in print.

He is the author of eight books, incl
“Maybe she'll bring him lunch, like she used to. Surprise him with fresh steak or ribs. Or she'll keep driving to places where there is no development, no dirt to move. She will find a glacier, where her skin can adopt the pale blue of the ice, still hard, refusing to melt for anyone or anything.” 0 likes