Start by marking “Butterfly Fish” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Fish

Butterfly Fish

With wry humour and a deft touch, Butterfly Fish, the outstanding first novel by a stunning new writer, is a work of elegant and captivating storytelling. A dual narrative set in contemporary London and 18th century Benin in Africa, the book traverses the realms of magic realism with luminous style and graceful, effortless prose.
Published 2014 by Jacaranda Books Art Music

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Fish

Eyejayee
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the story she told but I don't like her writing style. I felt like half of whatever she said was left to interpretation. The writing was just everywhere and really hard to understand at times.
Olubukola
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
The writing is simply beautiful.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Butterfly Fish is a blend of various ear’s and spans between London and Benin. I think the synopsis is immediately eye-catching and extremely unique. The author has done a fantastic job of weaving modern day London, 1950s London and 19th century Benin.
The novel opens with Joy in modern-day London. She is overcoming the death of her mother and it has been a painful process. She is helped by neighbourhood eccentric Mrs Harris. Who plays the role of lonely old lady, perfectly!

“I just feel . . . a
Tomi Adenekan
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I was fascinated by the reviews and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. The beginning got me even more interested and I soon settled in. However, while I found the story set in Nigeria and in Britain interesting as stand-alones, I felt weaving them together wasn't smooth. I felt it was contrived and this removed some authenticity from it. Joy, Queenie, Adesua, Omotola, Mrs Harris ... I feel all these are strong and interesting characters but none really fully developed. Having said that, ...more
Toksyk
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've ever read! The writing was all over the place and I didn't much like the way the storyline kept jumping between time and place and characters. It read like it was trying to do what Helen Oyeyemi did in The Icarus Girl but I wasn't just feeling it. Struggled to read and only finished out of sheer curiosity of just how bad it could get and how it was going to end.
Manasa
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Reads Says:

A couple of months back I read Irenosen Okojie’s short story collection Speak Gigantular and it blew me away. I was obsessed with all her characters and
Ellen Desmond
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first discovered this book having heard the author speak at a book festival and was moved by her discussion. I was not disappointed when I picked up Butterfly Fish. It's hard to believe this is a debut novel. It covers such an expanse of topics with such ease and grace of plot, I couldn't put it down.
mimo
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strange (intimate, open-ended yet emotionally satisfying) story told in luscious and intriguing prose. The style is free-wheeling yet controlled, overall, although there are some garden path-esque sentences. It creates an effect where meaning is constantly squirming away from you, and you reach for it willingly, because the meaning when parsed turns out to be consistently nuanced. A joy to read.

I liked that there was a distinctive style difference when the chapters alternated time and place. T
Breakaway Reviewers
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
An amazing book for a debut author

This book is quite amazingly written and crafted. Joy is a photographer living in London struggling to recover from the sudden death of her mother. Her only friend is one of the tenants in her building, Mrs Harris, and it is this lady who finds Joy after an unsuccessful suicide attempt and helps her to talk through her problems. The identity of Mrs Harris is also shrouded in mystery, we find out towards the end of the book who and what she is but she becomes a s
Sheila
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable and interesting read. I loved the parts set in 18th Century palace of Benin and how the story of the brass head was woven round the characters. Joy's thoughts were influenced very much by her attempts to block out memories by using drugs and alcohol which made some of the descriptions seem somewhat far fetched, however her mind was very much influenced by the piecing together of her origins and became a little confusing as her mental health worsened.
A strange yet interesting tale!
Sade A
rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2017
Whatthelog
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Irenosen Okojie’s Butterfly Fish is one of the novels I read for February’s Black History Month. I read her short story collection Speak Gigantular a couple of months ago, so this gave me an excellent excuse to push Butterfly Fish to the front of the TBR. And I am so glad that I did.

The blurb doesn’t tell you very much so here is my attempt at a summary! It follows 3 generations of a family: Joy, a young black woman living in London, Queenie (her mother), and Peter (her grandfather). It starts r
Evie
  • The Sunshine Cruise Company
  • The Holder of the World
  • Daniel
  • The Ecliptic
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • Whitstable
  • An African in Greenland
  • Long Time No See
Irenosen Okojie was born in Nigeria and moved to England aged eight. A freelance Arts Project Manager, she has previously worked at Apples & Snakes as the National Development Coordinator and for The Caine Prize as a Publicity Officer for their 10th Anniversary Tour. Her short stories have been published in the US, Africa and the UK. Her first novel, Butterfly Fish, was published by Jacaranda ...more