Start by marking “Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1)

Night Shift

(Jill Kismet #1)

Jill Kismet. Dealer in Dark Things. Spiritual Exterminator. Demon Slayer.

Not everyone can take on the things that go bump in the night.

Not everyone tries.

But Jill Kismet is not just anyone.

She's a Hunter, trained by the best - and in over her head.

Welcome to the night shift...
Published July 1st 2008 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.
Kathleen This series was written after the Dante Valentine series, but they are separate entities and do not take place in the same universe. I heard the same…moreThis series was written after the Dante Valentine series, but they are separate entities and do not take place in the same universe. I heard the same thing, and have read both, but I'm honestly not sure where that conclusion came from. As far as I'm concerned they're two different stories. If there's an official answer that says otherwise, I'm not sure.
As to your second question, it's more like a Cassandra Palmer as you described. Each book has a different mystery to solve, but there is an overarching plot that's wrapped up in the end.
Happy reading! =D(less)

Denisa
3.5 Ok, I admit, this one was a bit of a surprise.

What I expected is this:

I got something like this:

So yup, it was a pretty good book. It was fast paced, I had no time to get bored or to skim. And I liked the idea, I liked the characters. For some reason, I liked the lame male character. And the good part is that it made me curious about what's going to happen, and that doesn't happen as often as I'd like.
Kati
The first book in Saintcrow's "Jill Kismet" series. I liked it well enough to try out book two, but I did have some major issues with Jill - I like my heroines strong and capable, not bitchy and condescending. And her "woe is me" attitude to her pact with Perry - well, nobody forced her to sell her soul to a demon in exchange for super powers. Tough, girl, live with it. Also, her moaning about Mikhail's death on every single page got old pretty fast too. "Mikhail, oh, Mikhail... No, don't think ...more
Courtnie
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
"Cities need people like us, those who go after things the cops can’t catch and keep the streets from boiling over. We handle nonstandard exorcisms, Traders, hellbreed, rogue Weres, scurf, Sorrows, Middle Way adepts . . . all the fun the nightside can come up with."

Jill Kismet is a Hunter and if you've ever read an urban fantasy before I'm sure you can guess what that title implies, my quote notwithstanding. She's a very typical bad ass female lead with a enough back-story to create a
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5

The story has a lot going on...but it's confusing. Jill is a Hunter, a rare human that fights monsters and hellbreed who walk the earth and sometimes get out of line. Since she's accepted a mark from the master hellbreed of the series, she is tainted but with improved power and survival capacity. The book opens with her grieving her deceased teacher, which is a large part of the current story. Since the kille
Felicia
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this BEFORE the Dante Valentine series, and I think it would have helped a lot to read the other series first, understand the world better. I still enjoyed it. On book 2 now.
Madison
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.75🌟
Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Lilith's Strange Angels series, and saw this and decided to give it a go, so i start reading and my first thoughts after the prologue is W..T..F?

It feels as if I'm reading a second or third book in a series when the author is sure that her/his readers know the concept of their world and doesn't need to explain everything...

THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK... NOT THE SECOND OR THIRD!!!

Then I went to read some reviews and found out that to understand it better you need to have read her previous serie
Joshua
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Ehh, don't bother
Jill Kismet is a hunter. She belongs to a small group of humans that have trained in the art of killing and hunt the things that go bump in the night. Sound familiar? Yeah, it should, since it's the plot of countless other urban fantasy novels!! Still, I have to hand it to Mrs. Saintcrow for trying to inject some new facets into this tired genre. Like her heroine sold her body to a demon which gives her supernatural powers. That's new right? No... yeah you're right.

What made this one even harder
Anita
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a DARK urban fantasy set in the contemporary times in a city in the American southwest. This author also wrote the Dante Valentine series, which is also extremely dark and one of my favorites, though it is set far in the future. I was hoping with all my might that the Jill Kismet series would be set in the same world as the Dante Valentine series, just at a different point on the timeline, but alas, I wasn't that lucky.

Jill's world has always had supernatural aspects - weres, demons, di
~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~
ok...
I did not feel like I was reading the first book to this series. I felt like I was reading the second book of this series. Things that needed to be explained were not explained in depth. and the things that were explained...well who cared? Every other paragraph was about her charms tinkling in her hair and her scar burning.

I didn't even know who her teacher was until I was pages into it. She just kept referencing to Mickael or however you spell it and I had no idea who he was.

All the flash
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My initial thoughts on Night Shift weren't extremely complimentary. Because I've become acquainted with so many of this type of heroine via book and film, Jill Kismet struggled to stand out. Even the look of the girl they had portrayed on the front cover screamed Anita Blake or Selene. (Although I will say Jill had a considerably rougher childhood.) I didn't hold high hopes, but at the same time, I was still interested enough to keep going.

The first part of the novel is, by necessity, filled wit
aPriL does feral sometimes
My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. My wrist burned. Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ...more
Marianne
While I did not find the first Jill Kismet novel as fascinating as the first Dante Valentine, it was still pretty darn good.

Unlike Dante's sci-fi/futuristic world, Jill lives in an alternate, present day universe. Religion plays a bigger part in people's everyday lives, probably because of the beings that go bump in the night; namely the hellspawn, and the humans known as "traders", who barter their souls for favors.

It is Jill's job to bump back, hard. Jill is a former prostitute, saved and men
Andrew
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Night Shift is Urban Fantasy gone hardcore. Protagonist Jill Kismet runs and guns her way through so many of Hell’s denizens you wonder why the Hellbreed ever stick their heads above the ground at all.

Jill is a hunter, a human trained to lay the smackdown whenever the supernatural starts messing with the normal world. She’s also chock full of demonic power thanks to a pact she made with a demon called Perry.

The entire book could have gone wrong at that point as a super strong, quick human protag
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
It was an interesting read, but I believe that I wasn't in a mood to read dark fantasy so I will return to the series in the future when I will appreciate it more!
Nichole (DirrtyH)

I enjoyed this book quite a bit but it took me forever to read for some reason. I'm hoping it suffered a little from "1st in a series" syndrome and the rest will pick up a little bit.

Jill is a Hunter - she keeps her city safe from demons, aka hellbreed. But in order to be the best Hunter she can be, she has made a deal with the numero uno demon in town. He lends her extra strength, power and uber fast healing ability in exchange for a couple hours a month of her time. He has a bit of a
Jess
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was an interesting story. Jill Kismet is a hunter, which is bascially a exorcist/demon killer/protector of innocent/sorceress. She has traded with a hell breed (demon) for some extra powers, and once a month she has to go to him for an hour, and beat him up. (Not sure why he wants that, I think he wants Jill to become evil or something). Anyway, there is a hellbreed that is on the loose and killed 5 cops. Tore them to pieces and left those pieces on a major highway. Jill has been called in ...more
Booknut
Positively in love with this book - with a kick-ass heroine, heart-wrenching tragedy, tonnes of sharp weapons, cute weres and twisted mysteries to solve, it's the perfect novel to snuggle up with and read deep into the night.
Meigan
First, let me start by saying that I read some reviews for this book and there are quite a few people who mentioned it would have helped in understanding the current story/world if they had read Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series first. While it may have helped in getting a feel for the author's writing style, Danny's world and Jill's aren't the same. Dante's is futuristic, complete with gadgets, weird fabrics, technologically enhanced modes of transportation, which makes everything feel markedl ...more
Rhianna
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Take the basics of Anita Blake circa books 4-10, sprinkle in a tiny dash of early Rachel Morgan (The Hollows), a pinch of Joanna Archer (Signs of the Zodiac) and bake it in an Underworld crust and you'd get Jill Kismet.

Marked by a Hellbreed, Jill Kismet has something the other Hunters don't: an edge. The only trouble is that being tied to Perry through his mark also means she owes him. Once a month she gets to spend some quality time with the sort of bad guys she goes out to kill every night. W
Kathy Davie
This was good. There were a lot of parallels with other sci-fi novels I've been reading. Jill Kismet is a blend of Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock, Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels, and Julie Kenner's Lily in that they are all experienced, capable women with a hard past behind them and interesting love lives.

The weres in Night Shift remind me of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson, and Charlaine Harris' Stackhouse series.

The story itself takes place in a parallel world wh
Kat
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Basic plot: demon-hunter-badass chick kills demons. 'Nuff said.

General impression: not particularly original, but not uninteresting. Our hero here is a hunter- apparently part of some loose affiliation with the church and the police. I say apparently because the book lacks exposition. There is never an actual job description for her, or of what she went through to become a hunter. There are snippets, but I kept feeling as if I'd missed something important. Like a whole book giving the necessary
Rebecca
Dec 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
What a terrible book! The story was dull, and the writing repetitive and uninspired. I skimmed the last 50 pages, and it took me a long time to read this book, it was just so dull. I should have found something else, but I have a hard time not finishing a book. The use of italics drove me nutty; a good writer doesn't need to use italics to emphasize a word, plot point, or situation. How many times do I need to hear about her wrist scar, etheric force, or her leather coat? The author even include ...more
Jaana
*3,5*

Salamyhkäinen, hieman synkkä ja ehdottomasti toiminnallinen loppuun asti. Maailma oli jännittävä elämän ja kuoleman, maan ja Helvetin sekä muiden yliluonnollisten asioiden kuten demonien ja ihmissusien kanssa. Hyvä aloitus ja kyllä jatkan sarjan parissa. Pericles ja hänen osansa tässä tarinassa vei useasti huomioni muista!
a_tiffyfit
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-readable
gotta love an asskicking female. Liked her a bit more than Dante Valentine since she doesn't seem to whine so much or question. She DOES do that and it is annoying, but not nearly so much as Dante whom I was yelling at to "JUST TRUST JAPH! HE'S THE LOVE OF YOUR FRICKIN LIFE!" This one has more gumption.
Chris
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Reread of this paranormal romance about a demon hunter whose powers are demon-enhanced. No desire to read more of the series. Last time I tried, I think I made it two books in before giving up...
Catherine Milos
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the character Lilith Saintcrow writes here. She's whole, but with a past. She knows who she is, and she's not embarrassed or ashamed. A strong female hunter character in an urban paranormal world.
John
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
As I read this first-person narrative, I kept wondering whether it was extreme urban fantasy action or heavy melodrama; not only did it switch back and forth but often had melodrama in the midst of narrating a battle. More than once I asked myself, why am I still reading this?

Well, if you're reading Night Shift and wondering the same thing, hang in there. The last six or seven chapters made the whole thing worth it for me. Although the narrator Jill Kismet's emotional nature reminds me of a twe
Snarktastic Sonja
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I have so far only read the first book in this series although I have the omnibus edition. It really inspired not much in me - neither massive love nor massive throwing of books (or even tablets) across the room. It held some very interesting concepts . . . including (but not limited to) the whole hunter of the supernatural thing . . . By nature of being a hunter (which is still *simply* a human - albeit a trained human), she is more capable of catching supernaturals (especially the demonic (hel ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #69-74 Jill Kismet series by Lilith Saintcrow 1 4 Apr 01, 2015 07:09PM
  • Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2)
  • Beg For Mercy (Mercy Hollings #1)
  • Staked (Void City, #1)
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Wraith (Zoe Martinique, #1)
  • Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
  • Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as a child, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She and her library co-habitate in Vancouver, Washington.

Jill Kismet (6 books)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
  • Flesh Circus (Jill Kismet, #4)
  • Heaven's Spite (Jill Kismet, #5)
  • Angel Town (Jill Kismet, #6)
“I'm getting really tired of bleeding. Someone stop the world, I want to get off.” 108 likes
“Sometimes you can pick who buys you, and for how much. That's what power really is.” 9 likes