Start by marking “Mason (Striking Back, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mason (Striking Back, #2)

Mason

(Striking Back #2)

From the moment I saw her, I wanted her in my bed.

I should've stopped there.

Everly Hall burst into my complicated life and changed it forever. I'm a fighter, but I had no defense against this beautiful, stubborn woman.
Now, I stand to lose everything I have, everything I am. My secrets are dangerous, and put more lives at stake than my own. I intended to tell her in time
Published July 3rd 2015

Liz
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: instalove, kids, pregnancy
So for some reason I presumed that since book 1 was called Everly and was told only from her POV, that since Book 2 was called Mason, we'd only get his POV. It alternates between M and E and sadly I don't think the author handled M's POV all that well.

This is really a story about Everly and the man who seems to fall instantly in love with her despite her deep emotional issues.

I don't want to give too much away, but there's a breakup, a makeup, a child, a reunion between a child and a parent, a s
Kelly
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SM Shade you did not disappoint. I was an extremely lucky recipient of an advanced reader copy so I could post a honest review.
The end of book one we are left hanging off a cliff with molten lava underneath us and fire ants crawling on our hands. On the verge of obliteration because we needed to know "What happens next?".
OK, drama queen is done.
Everly is hopelessly in love with Mason and the feeling is mutual. She doesn't trust easily because of her past and he wants to protect everyone because
Janet
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mason is book two in the Striking Back series and is not a standalone. If you have not read book one, Everly, it is recommended you do so before proceeding with this one.
The author picks up where she leaves off in book one and the deliberate plot holes left in Everly begin to be filled.
Mason is an ambiguous character and his actions in Everly left a lot to be desired. Are there reasonable explanations? Or is he truly a villain? All these questions are answered in this book.
There are a lot of tw
Keatyn's Mommy
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is book two in the "Striking Back" Series.

This book is hands down fabulous! Everly and Mason have a great love that everyone wants to find. Everly has some trust issues that stem from something in her past. Dont worry you find out what it is. But she is a stronger person for it, just sometimes a little jaded.

Mason Reed along with his brothers Alex and Parker run Striking Back a safe haven for abused women and children. Everly volunteers at SB which is how they meet.

After a misunderstanding
Miri
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!!!
Nikki Nik
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book is the second part of Everly and Mason's story. It starts immediately where the last one ends with Mason and Everly at odds over what later turns out to be a misunderstanding. After that, the couple is a lot stronger than in the previous book. Most of the characters in the previous book make an appearance in this one. I particularly like his brothers and I hope they get their own book. There were a couple of surprises along the way, and one WTF moment for me. We finally got Ev
Romance Readers Retreat
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mason is the second book in the Striking Back series and book two follows on from where we were left hanging.

There is so much that goes on in this book. An abundance of drama, tears, fear and love carry you through this story.

Mason, who you no doubt fell for in book #1, is a great character. He's strong, loyal and protective but he has a few secrets too.

Evie has had a lot to deal with. Shutting herself off from her emotions has kept her "safe" but lonely. Just when she thinks she may be able to
Jennifer Lessard
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was honored when I was asked to read and review an ARC for Mason because I also was blessed to have done it for Everly. I loved Everly when I read it. I have it in my re-read collection and that will be where Mason goes also. I wasn't sure if I would like Mason as much as the first book but I absolutely LOVE where the author took us in this book! I loved the twists and the "Oh No" parts that you put in there. Alot came full circle in this book which I love! It was a perfect bow on the top of a ...more
Jeannine Allison
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of Everly but at a certain point it seemed to go downhill for me and continue all the way through the end of this book. Not a huge decline, but definitely a noticeable one. It felt like wayyyy too much was going on and it wasn't really in proportion to what I would think was plausible. (view spoiler) Since it ...more
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
S.M. Shade doesn't disappoint with the sequel to Everly. She is a master at emotionally connecting the reader to the characters in the book. Mason and Everly perfectly compliment each other with their wit and humor. Never a dull moment during this quick read, but you may want to slow down and enjoy a few of the many erotic scenes that are tastefully done. Not only is this a great story, but it also brings up the issue of domestic violence and how difficult it is for women to truly find the help ...more
Natalie Johnston
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I have been desperate to read Mason after that spectacular cliffhanger Everly ended on. I wasn't disappointed at all.

I won't give any spoilers and ruin the oh my God moments I had while reading Mason.

Again S.M. Shade has found a way to balance light humorous (sometimes laugh out loud) moments with a big dose of serious and unpleasant back stories for both Everly and Mason.

I really loved that through all that they have suffered E
Beverly Ovalle
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, I just had to read Mason. Everly ended in a cliffhanger and I got a request to review Mason and jumped on it! The dynamics and emotions Mason evokes are heart wrenching, and drew me into the story. Everly’s tale is heart breaking. She has survived and is afraid to live.
Mason has lived through his own type of Hell and emerged a better stronger man for it. He knows what he wants and it is Everly. Despite the hurt she unknowingly caused Mason, he can’t help but love her.
A well written and en
Jennifer Allen
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Everly and Mason! I really liked the two of them together. They're like a power couple. Both in-charge and independent and I appreciate that in a story, I like when the characters can stand on their own and don't need the other person to complete them, though it can be sweet when they do. I had no idea what direction the books were going to take, which I also liked. It's unavoidable that romance novels are going to have some level of predictability, but I couldn't predict where these wer ...more
This book continues the story, as well as all of the issues, of book 1. The plot and characters need more development. I feel like Mason being a MMA fighter was just thrown in there for fun. It added nothing to the plot. There was a lot more drama in this book and I just wasn't feeling it. The writing became sappier and sappier and I barely finished it. This book didn't even have the redeeming quality of humor or banter. It just wasn't good.
A little birdie told me...
Well... although I liked the characters, the story... It just seemed like a string of happenings, both unfortunate events and unbelievably happy ones. In other words, the plot was not easily determined.

Beyond the lacking plot, the stories were sweet. I will read the other two books in the series.
Holly
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the arc of Mason and I loved it! I can't say much without giving anything away so this will be short.
This picks up right where book one left off so you must read book one first. It was a great conclusion to Mason and Everly's story.
The Translation Abbey
3.5
Pronto reseña
Candyce Kirk
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I was happy that I could continue reading this series after the first book. It ended in a cliffhanger. Everly still isn't sure what to think of Mason, but everything becomes clear. In this book they face some struggles, but find each other as well. I still love Mason's brothers and am excited to read about them in the next two books. I think any of us would be lucky with brothers like that. We finally got to read from Mason's POV as well and this made me like him more. I still love what he does ...more
Leanne Bryson
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am honestly and voluntarily reviewing a copy of this book 📚
I had a binge read this weekend with the Striking Back Series by S.M. Shade, and sooooo glad I did. Mason and Everly resolve their conflict from book 1 rather quickly in this book...thank you Ms Shade, and move forward with their relationship. The chemistry is hot, still has challenges, but are handled better than book 1. They’re maturing in the relationship. Again, the set up with characters for the rest of the series flows well, book
2OCC Reviews
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jessica
I liked this one. It was good to see them overcome their issue and learn more about each other. I was able to understand Everly a lot more in this one and that helped me look back on the first one with more open eyes.

I do feel that I didn’t have a ton of closure on somethings, but I know that there will be 2 more books in the striking back series and I can’t wait to read them. This group of characters is awesome and seeing their full story’s has been and will be a wild ride. 4 Stars #2OCCJD
Beth
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-2018
This one was better than the first book. Luckily the misunderstanding cliffhanger in the first book gets settled at the beginning of this book. I like that Mason was mad at the beginning about Evie always accusing him of things without talking to him about it. We do find out why Everly does not trust men, which is good. This one had a lot going on but it actually kept me reading, which was also good. On to book three.
Veronica
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so.. consuming. It had love and so much excitement. Drama and sex. It was build on. A solid foundation of characters. Thee secondary characters are more than impressive. The plot flows well, no lag. Well paced. I was very happy with this read! Can not wait for more of the secondary characters! The main characters are also amazing I should mention that.. please start with Everly and move to Mason! Great read!
Jessica Lerch
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I expected this book to be from Masons POV seen as book 1 was called Everly & solely from her POV but this one was split & I prefer the split POV books.

Good to see mason & Everly got their HEA, there were a couple of things that were too predictable for me to give 5⭐ but if you enjoyed the first book I can’t see why you won’t enjoy this one just as much.
Arlene
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I love a HEA, I was rooting for these two from the beginning.

The background of main characters has a special place in my heart, I love seeing bad/sad situations being turned into good especially helping others.
The only criticism I have is i feel this book was rushed, so much detail had been left out. I would have loved for Masons job to be central to the story.
Beth
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable continuation to the series

I enjoyed book 2 so much more than book one as Evie wasn’t nearly as annoying in this book. More surprises await in this book though it’s much more about their personal lives than the work Mason does. Again the secondary characters are well done and I’m looking forward to reading Parker’s story next.
Anneliese
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
YAY Mason's POV! I was hoping the entire time I read Everly that we would get at least a little glimpse into Mason's head. And now we get a dual POV. I do love them more, they make me feel more invested to the characters. With Mason's story however, I felt there were a few plot holes and storylines that came out of left field that would have been great with a few more pages to set them up a bit better. I felt the ending was rushed a bit since it took a different spin at the end. I still enjoyed ...more
Donna
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! After how the first book ended i was desperate to see how things turned out!
Another beautifully written story, so loving and hot but with plenty of drama to keep the amazing storyline going!
Nicky
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second half of Mason and Everly's story....loved it. I loved the connection they have, their bantering, how they support each other and rise above their issues. This is another beautiful story by this talented author.
Mary-Elizabeth Hively
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect!

What a perfect way to end their story although Im sure its hardly over since there are two more brothers stories to go through! But as far as their story goes it was amazing!
Amy
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mason and Everly’s story continues. Everly has run from Mason one too many times and she has to figure out how to trust the love that Mason has for her. Things that both of them never thought were possible are happening and it puts them to the test.
  • Nate (Cocky Cage Fighter, #6)
  • Uncaged Love, Volume 3 (Uncaged Love, #3)
  • Extraction Point (Ricochet #3)
  • Escaping Trouble (Trouble, #2)
  • Mastering the Art of Love (The American Soldier Collection, #2)
  • Ride Trilogy (Ride Trilogy, #1)
  • Fight
  • Sidney's Triple Shot (Apache Crossing #1)
  • Kellan: A Bad Boy Military MMA Romance
  • Escaping the Blackness (Cooper Brothers #1)
  • Eyes Wide Open
  • Roamer (Nomad, #3)
  • Guarded Heart (Dubicki's, #2)
  • TKO: Total Knock Out
  • Wayward Fighters: Books 1 & 2 (Wayward Fighters #1-2)
  • Delirious Series Boxed Set (Delirious, #0.5-3)
  • Cyrus (Swamp Heads #1)
  • Hurt You  (Wrecked #3)
S. M. Shade is a homeschooling mom hopelessly addicted to Dr. Pepper, love stories, sunshine, and men with full sexy lips, though not necessarily in that order. A voracious reader since sounding out her first word, she started writing as a teenager and rediscovered her love of writing as an adult. Originally from Indianapolis, she now lives in a small Kentucky town with her teenage son.

Striking Back (4 books)
  • Everly (Striking Back, #1)
  • Parker (Striking Back, #3)
  • Alex (Striking Back, #4)