Start by marking “Ada Lovelace: The Poet of Science” as Want to Read:
Ada Lovelace: The Poet of Science

Ada Lovelace: The Poet of Science

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  536 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
From nonfiction stars Diane Stanley and Jessie Hartland comes a beautifully illustrated biography of Ada Lovelace, who is known as the first computer programmer.

Two hundred years ago, a daughter was born to the famous poet, Lord Byron, and his mathematical wife, Annabella.

Like her father, Ada had a vivid imagination and a creative gift for connecting ideas in original ways
Published February 2nd 2016 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Ada Lovelace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ada Lovelace

Yes, there is a sudden mini-flood of Ada Lovelace biographies. Think of it as simply correcting a terrible oversight. And this is so far my favorite of the bunch.
Lisa Pett
A fantastic biography of an amazing, but little-known, hero of STEM. The art is whimsical and her story is told in an orderly fashion.

Included in the back are a glossary, notes from the author and a timeline of important dates in computer science.

This book is a great way to introduce kids to the concept of computer programming.
Cynthia Egbert
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
This is an informative biography for children to get a sense of what Ada Lovelace contributed. It is also a quality jumping off place for adults to begin learning about Lady Lovelace. I was stunned to learn that Ada Lovelace was the daughter of the rascally, if talented Lord Byron. Now, while I am going to go to work learning more about Lady Lovelace, my real hunger is to learn more about her mother.
Danna Smith
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review from my blog www.picturebookplaylist.wordpress.com:

Where will booksellers keep all the amazing nonfiction books that are popping up? I recently read an article in Publishers Weekly which stated that “even before 2009 and the beginning of Common Core, some booksellers were seeing narrative non-fiction and information picture books take off.” It’s no wonder that with beautifully illustrated and well-written nonfiction books like Ada Lovelace Poet of Science that publishers and readers can’t
Niki Marion
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
With our society inextricably dependent on technology, kids should know the name Ada Lovelace
Jenny
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of Ada Lovelace before hearing of this book. It's kind of hard to fathom that she lived 200 years ago and is considered the first computer programmer. It was fascinating to read about her life and her work with Charles Babbage. This left me intrigued and wanting to know more. I'll probably read more about her. Stanley includes an author's note, a timeline of important events (about her life but also about computer programming and inventions related to programming), a bibliography ...more
Christina
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice picture book biography of Lord Byron's daughter Ada Lovelace, who in the 19th century wrote a translation of an article on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine, the first computer--and in so doing she created the first computer program: step by step instructions for it to function. Sadly she died of cancer at age 36 and never wrote more. Illustrations are kind of goofy, cartoony, look a little like primitive paintings. Selected bibliography, brief author's note on how Ada's work was lost for ...more
Brianna Crall
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I had no idea who Ada Lovelace was prior to this read. Fascinating story about a young girl who goes against the mold. Very inspiring for young girls. This will find a permanent place on my shelf.
Angelina
A great way to get acquainted with Ada and her work.
Cami
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter brought this home to read to me. A great little book giving much overdue credit to the first computer programmer. I loved learning about her life and her contributions to STEM fields!
Lindsey
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
My little one was bored but interested to learn about Ada Lovelace.
LaTonya Roberts (IG:RemindMeToRead)
I loved the illustrations. As a children's book I think it's fun with all the bright colors. I really like how you can see every stroke like the book was hand painted. It's a good intro to Ada Lovelace and inspirational to any child who gets to read it or have it read to them.
Kris Dersch
Great book! It's a little long for a picture book biography but the details are great and the illustrations are fabulous. A very important topic to introduce early elementary kids to and a great way to do it. Did not hold the 4-year-old's attention, I would say probably primary level for this one.
Mallory
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-and-ya
My first exposure to the remarkable Ada Lovelace. I will definitely be exploring more books about her.
Anna Chappell
Fun introduction to Ada Lovelace and her part in history. I do wish it had incorporated more of the endnotes into the text, but I can see why they weren't.
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
2017 Amelia Bloomer Project Top Ten
Amanda Walz
This is my personal opinion and I have nothing negative to say about the author and illustrator.

I did not care for this book at all. I felt that some of the words led the reader to assume misinformation and the illustration style is not my favorite.

I am disappointed, I was eagerly awaiting the book to read, I really like a lot of Diane Stanley's work. I didn't care for this at all.
Edward Sullivan
Another picture book biography of Ada Lovelace, appealing and informative.
Ashley Smith
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
For my final twin text I choose to pair my nonfiction book Ada Lovelace: The Poet of Science by Diane Stanley copyright 2016 with the fiction book Charlotte the Scientist Is Squished by Camille Andros copyright 2017. I would start by reading my fiction book, Charlotte the Scientist Is Squished. This book is about a rabbit named Charlotte. She feels like she is being squished by all of her siblings. Using the scientific method, she devises a plan to stop feeling so squished. In her first two atte ...more
Sunah Chung
Recently, I am thrilled to acknowledge what I have learned as history has different perspectives and behind it. Much like historical fiction, biographies can sometimes tell me what I have missed in my educational experiences. The biography, Ada Lovelace, Poet of Science: The First Computer Programmer, teaches me about sound friendship and insight of a woman who contributes computer programing way before the first electronic computer is invented in 1946.

Ana is a daughter of George Gordon Byron
Tracey
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**All reviews can be found at drhodgesreads.blogspot.com**

Ada Lovelace is getting a lot of love these days, and for good reason. She is credited with being one of the first computer programmers in history, and the first woman. YAY! I also did not know that she was the daughter of Lord Byron, who had quite the reputation with the ladies (which I did know).

In this book, we learn about Ada Lovelace's life. This book begins by telling a little information about Ada's father and mother. Her father w
Yuridia
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: info-bios
Ada Lovelace poet of Science is a great biography about Ada Lovelace the first woman computer programmer. Ada grew up during times where women were only allowed to do “ women” things. But Ada had a great imagination and loved to invent new things like wings she could use to fly. Her mother grew concerned that she would become like her father and use too much imagination. Her mother encouraged her to Mary and she was wed and had 3 kids. Years later Ada realized she still wanted to follow her pass ...more
Tyler Weidman
I would pair this with Rosie Revere, Engineer (Andrea Beaty 2013). The reason I would compare these two stories is because they are both about women who are fascinated with science. Rosie Revere is a fiction story about a child and Ada Lovelace is an autobiography about an actual scientist and first computer programmer. Both stories are about overcoming obstacles and failures and achieving your dreams. I would start by reading Rosie Revere, Engineer. I would have the students reflect for a minut ...more
Congetta
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I choose this book as I really like Diane Stanley's work. I like how she discusses and quotes from primary sources in the body of the text. I think this book was different from other biographies she has written. I feel like it was written for a younger audience than her biographies written previously. Also the illustrations were in a different style than the past, less realistic, more cartoonish with watercolors, but I still liked it. It is a great introduction to Ada, but she still provided dep ...more
Alice
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 I have read a similar book about Ada Lovelace, but I think I liked this one better as it was simplified. I am smart, and creative but the technical, math and science stuff blows my mind! But woman like Ada Lovelace probably did math in their head for fun... and that is AWESOME!!

I am currently reading a book about 1909 England Woman's suffrage... and let me say this... I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF WOMEN NOT GETTING CREDIT FOR DOING AMAZING THINGS!!!
Ada Lovelace, Grace Hopper all the ladies i
Manor Hill
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had never heard of Ada Lovelace before reading this book. With all the technology in the world that we just readily accept, it's refreshing to think about how it all started. This would be great to use with children to encourage wondering, experimenting, and creative thinking. Some of the name dropping, ie Charles Darwin, Charles Babbage, etc. will go over children's heads. It would have been nice to see of glossary of famous people for further research. The glossary at the end was certainly h ...more
Jessie
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Biography of Ada Lovelace that I found to be really clear about what her contribution was and why her work was important. I also liked that the book emphasized her combination of training in science, engineering, and math and great imagination, starting from thinking about flying machines in childhood.

It felt like the book was a little "not like other girls" in one place, but it does show other women having conversations that Ada enjoyed at the party at Babbage's house.

Really whimsical illustrat
Aolund
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this biography of Ada Lovelace, pioneering female scientist, could have been edited down a bit for clarity and concision, it was a whimsical telling of a fascinating historical tale: how Ada Lovelace, daughter of Lord Byron and Lady Byron (a scientific mind in and of herself), became the first person to envision how coding and computer programming could work, some hundred years before the first computer was even invented.

Better for older readers, as the narrative is meandering and there a
Taylor Lydon
Ada Lovelace, Poet of Science is a biography about the first computer programmer. The neat and engaging thing about this story is the pictures that are so detailed. Young students will love to look and admire the story of the first programmer. When reading this, it became almost an inspirational book to show students that they can create something on their own. One book feature that this had, which most don't, was the actual historical timeline at the end of the book with the bibliography. I thi ...more
Meg Reading
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ada Lovelace Poet of Science : The First Computer Programmer
by Diane StanleyDiane Stanley, illustrated by Jessie Hartland
unpaged, (about 48); first edition, 2016; hardback
Recommended as read-aloud for K-2
J Biography Lovelace

Read my full review at: http://blog.readingmeg.com/2017/08/ad...

Nonfiction Deals

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99