Start by marking “The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)

The Last Necromancer

(The Ministry of Curiosities #1)

Victorian London: For five years, Charlotte (Charlie) Holloway has lived as a boy in the slums. But when one theft too many gets her arrested, her only means of escape lies with a dead man. Charlie hasn't raised a spirit since she first discovered she could do so five years ago. That time, her father banished her. This time, she brings even more trouble upon herself.

People
Published August 11th 2015 by Oz Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Necromancer, please sign up.
C.J. Archer So sorry, I just saw this! I sure have started the 2nd book. It's actually finished (just waiting on my editor to send me edits). It will be released…moreSo sorry, I just saw this! I sure have started the 2nd book. It's actually finished (just waiting on my editor to send me edits). It will be released on August 24th and can be pre-ordered now. Here's the Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed Strange Horizons too :)(less)

Montzalee Wittmann
The Last Necromancer
The Ministry of Curiosities, Book 1
By: C. J. Archer
Narrated by: Shiromi Arserio
I enjoyed this book and it was nothing like I thought it would be. It is about a girl pretending to be a boy in London in the past. She has been thrown out of her house when her mother died. She accidentally, during her grief at seeing her mother dead, raised her from the dead. Her dad freaked and threw her out. For years she has been hiding on the streets as a boy, it is safer for her. But she has
Phrynne
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
This was a quick, easy and enjoyable read with some originality in that the main female character is a necromancer. Not the most romantic of magical skill sets but it worked in this story!

The Last Necromancer opens with Charlie, our necromancer, who is also an eighteen year old girl pretending to be a thirteen year old boy, living on the streets of old London. These characters successfully pretending to be the opposite sex always test my belief levels especially in an era without private bathroo
Emma
Engaging YA historical fantasy set in Victorian times. Very much enjoyed it as a story that does not demand too much from you but entertaining. Have never read this author before but she has several series set in this alternative Victorian world, which I will definitely explore further. Great as a palate cleanser when you don't want to have to concentrate too hard and/ or late at night...
Lana Hart
DNF.

That being said, let me tell you why.

SPOILERS!

The first half of this book was intriguing. The plot was interesting. The lore got my attention and my imagination running. I had my reservations about the heroine, Charlie, but I figured this was a character evolution thing. That she'd grow and eventually become redeemable.

No such luck. Charlie, this great thief who has been living on the street for five years, gets caught stealing all the time and lacks any self-preservation or survival skills
nicklein
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely engaging little nugget of excitement and fun.
Rose
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5

This book was an unexpectedly awesome surprise. The Last Necromancer is currently free on Amazon and when I saw it being advertised as a paranormal mystery in the backdrop of Victorian London I thought it would just what I needed to get me out of my reading stump. Needless to say the book delivered!

The Last Necromancer follows Charlotte Holloway, who was born with the ability to talk to spirits as well as the ability to reanimate corpses. When her father became aware of this unnatu
Carolyn
I enjoyed the start of this YA paranormal Victorian novel with a feisty boy called Charlie living on his wits in the streets and giving lip to the two men who capture him for the Ministry of Curiosities. Charlie has a special talent that the Ministry is anxious doesn't get into the wrong hands. However, once Charlie morphed into Charlotte, she seemed to loose her street smarts and ability to get out of scrapes. I also felt the plot would have been stronger if the author hadn't tried to bring in ...more
Glory
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wtf
Кратко:
Есть Шарлотта-Чарли - единственный некромант на округу, девушка, которая притворяется мальчишкой.
Есть Линкольн Фицрой - глава некой тайной организации, которой позарез нужна Шарлотта. Ее они не находят, но отлавливают Чарли, удивляются, что существует еще один некромант, и через него пытаются выйти на Шарлотту, даже не подозревая, что это один и тот же человек.
Есть сумасшедший, которому тоже оченно нужен некромант, чтобы кое-кого оживить.
И есть антураж: типа стимпанк, викторианский Ло
Vivien
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, first-reads
I surprisingly did not DNF this book. I really wanted to, but I didn't. The reason why I continued reading is pretty twisted. But, in all fairness, that's when the author's writing develops/evolves. That's when readers have an OMG WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO HER?!?!?!? SOMEONE HELP HER! Even describing it vaguely makes people intrigued.

Whoever wrote the synopsis/blurb really needs to rewrite it and put this tagline.
Frankenstein Retelling.
The synopsis/blurb is wordy and doesn't do much justice. T
Shelley
**I received this book for free from "Xpresso Book Tours" in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

Genres: Fantasy, Historical, Young Adult
Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

The Last Necromancer is the first installment in The Ministry of Curiosities series by author C.J. Archer. Set in 1889 Victorian London, Charlotte (Charlie) Holloway has been living on the streets of London since her father called her the devil's daughter and kicked h
Kayla
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of Charlotte, a girl who disguises as a boy to make life easier on the streets. She has another secret she is necromancer, a person that can rise the dead. She is the only one in the world and she is wanted. She must learn to protect herself.

CHARACTERS-
I loved Charlotte/Charlie, her power was so unique and unlike anything I've read before. She was also sarcastic and funny and great to read about.
Seth and Gus were amazing, they were just so funny and they totally cared
Kim Dyer
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really did want to like this book. The premise was intriguing and it was generally well written, painting a dark and evocative image of Victorian London. Yet, for all the horrible things that happened in the story, it never felt overly grim. Archer has a nice sense of humour that really shows through in the dialogue.

Although the novel quickly drew me in, by the half way mark I was beginning to grow disappointed. The plot of this novel really is wafer thin and its many holes are glossed over by
Aisling Zena

Free on Amazon.co.uk at the time of posting.

Siobhan
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly wasn’t expecting much from this one.

Freebies are very much a case of hit or miss. Either they will surprise you or you’ll question how you managed to work your way through the entire story. In all honesty, I hadn’t really been expecting this one to blow me away. The reviews for this book were such a mix and match that I really wasn’t sure what I was letting myself in for, but I was still curious to give it a read.

You can imagine my surprise when I found myself addicted to the story.

Do
Mara
Madhu (Madhu LovesBooks)
The premise was actually promising and the plot was interesting. The lead heroine, Charlotte is funny and endearing. However, the usual tropes, and unnecessary cliffhangers slowed down the otherwise funny and could-be tight-knit story.

A satisfactory read...will follow a maximum of three books later.
Stephanie Ward
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, for-review, owned
'The Last Necromancer' is the thrilling first book in a new young adult historical fantasy series. It follows Charlotte - an eighteen-year-old girl who has been passing herself off as a young boy named Charlie for the past five years, after she unknowingly used her powers to make her dead mother come back to life and was disowned by her father. Life on the streets is hard for both young boys and for women. Things are going as usual until Charlie gets caught stealing an apple one day and is throw ...more
Lonleypurplecat
The first half of this book was basically her being captured and held in some random castle by two incompetent idiots and one jerk face idiot. Literally. The captured her form the streets in the first few pages, and then until the half point of the book, it's about her trying to unsuccessfully escape. And that could have been interesting besides from the fact that she is a total idiot for not asking the question: "hmmmmm, the person that you're actually looking for is me. Maybe they could help m ...more
Erica
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlotte has a gift like no other-she can reanimate and control the dead. Her gift puts her in grave danger as she hunted down by not one but two potentially dangerous men.

I have to say that Charlie/Charlotte is an incredibly strong female character. She’s been through a lot, even at the hands of her own “father”. She took to the streets and managed to survive, all the while keeping secret her true identity. She stays strong throughout the story, even when some really crazy stuff goes down.

I en
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The Last Necromancer was an engaging, entertaining, and thoroughly enjoyable book. I couldn't put it down! The characters are well-developed and it's easy to form an opinion of them, whether good or bad.

I gave it 4.5 stars instead of 5 due to some spelling and grammatical errors. There are not many, but it can be very distracting for some readers.

Overall, this was a fantastic read. I'm very much looking forward to the next books in this series.

***I was given a free advanced copy of this
Hollie
This was quite an original young adult fantasy which is rare in this genre. there was really no romance though. the characters were well portrayed. I think this has potential as a series. there were some slow parts in the plot but if book the next book is released soon I'm likely to give it a shot.
Sibil
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this book on my wishlist since forever, and I had it on my e-reader since ages... I mean, the story seemed quite intriguing to me, the mash-up/retelling thing was appealing and I have to say that I am quite a sucker for this kind of thing and I fell for it every damned time! And the cover is simply wow... so why I have waited so long to read it?!? Now I need the sequel, and I need it now!

To be completely honest with you, it's not a perfect book and it's not a masterpiece, too but... who ca
Megan
I was intrigued from the first chapter, but my interest slowed a bit about halfway into the story. When V.F. was revealed, I was surprised by whom it was but I really shouldn't have been - it fit all the clues. Charlie was a good MC and it was sad seeing why she was on the streets but fun learning how she survived for so long undetected. I definitely want to continue with this series.
J.A. Ironside
I'm almost surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It has quite a steam punk feel without actually being steampunk. In many ways The Last Necromancer contains all the late Victorian era tropes you'd expect for this time period of historical fantasy and while it doesn't do anything unexpected, the style is easy and engaging and the plot does pull you forward. It's hard to resist Charlie who is both a cheeky nod to the ubiquitous Dickensian street orphan and a developing character in her own right. ...more
Grammar*Kitten
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was quite heartbroken to read the last of the third Freak House trilogy by C.J. Archer. It wasn't that I doubted she could write another series just as amazing, but I really grew to love each of the characters in that series with every book. I always wanted more.

And she has achieved the same thing again with the first instalment of The Ministry of Curiosities series. This fantastic book plays stage to a whole host of great new characters with their own secrets, motives and incentives. From our
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will get straight to the point. I found the main character very confusing and frustrating to no end. A strange mix of living as a boy and embracing a boy's perspective, yet selecting the most inconvenient times to express decidedly feminine tendencies. The silly, excessive kind of tendencies. Moreover, you have almost zero idea of what is going on, and what it has to do with necromancy, for at least half the book. In fact, necromancy plays almost no part in the story, and when it finally comes ...more
Aly
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting. I enjoyed the little love interest Charlie has and how that grew in the book. I am curious to see how much it will grow in books to come. I like the characters but I was surprised by who Charlie's father was so that was a fun element for me. I will have to read more of the series to find out more things about each character I hope we will learn more though out the series.
Emily
Jul 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I straight up HATED this book. As in, wanted to throw something; wanted to call up C.J. Archer and ask her what was wrong with her; wanted to scrub the vestiges of this book from the earth; HATED it.

You may recall that I absolutely loved The Watchmaker's Daughter series by this same author earlier this year. I was casting about for a new audio book to listen to, and I saw that the first three books of this ten (TEN!!) book series were packaged together on Audible and could be purchased for a sin
Sandra
Set in Victorian England, Charlie (Charlotte Holloway) was thrown out of home & lived on the streets for 5 yrs, as a 13 yr old boy.

This was a fairly complex plot regarding the world-building with Charlie being a Necromancer & her father a local vicar who thought she was possessed by the devil, hence her banishment to the streets.

Lincoln Fitzroy, a man raised to be the leader of a secret society dedicated to the welfare of the royal family, is searching for her to prevent her falling int
Becca
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! It was an easy, quick read, pulled me into the world with intrigue and gave me something to focus on. It does rely on some cliches, and breaking cliches, and at least one character starts off very dislikable but even he grows on you. I'm trying not to say too much seeing as I've read all of the books released so far and don't want to say anything that will spoil it for anyone!
SOS: Serious Over...: [Oct 2015 - Tie] "The Last Necromancer" Discussion 1 17 Sep 29, 2015 01:44PM
  • Chronicles of Steele: Raven
  • Hand of Miriam (Bayla and the Golem, #1)
  • The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #1)
  • Verity Hart vs. the Vampyres Omnibus
  • Heart of the Kraken (Tales from Darjee, #1)
  • Treasure, Darkly (Treasure Chronicles #1)
  • The Shadow Revolution (Crown & Key, #1)
  • Gunpowder Alchemy (The Gunpowder Chronicles #1)
  • Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
  • Revolutionary Magic (The Dashkova Memoirs #1)
  • Dazzle, Volume 03
  • Babylonne (Pagan Chronicles #5)
  • Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (Her Majesty's Psychic Service, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  • Never Forgotten (Collective, #3)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

The Ministry of Curiosities (10 books)
  • Her Majesty's Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #2)
  • Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities, #3)
  • Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)
  • Ashes To Ashes (Ministry of Curiosities, #5)
  • From The Ashes (The Ministry of Curiosities #6)
  • Of Fates And Phantoms (The Ministry of Curiosities, #7)
  • Veiled in Moonlight (The Ministry of Curiosities, #8)
  • Vow of Deception (The Ministry of Curiosities #9)
  • The Wisdom of Madness (Ministry of Curiosities, #10)
“The devil get you," Holloway hissed. "One day. But not today. I be too busy.” 0 likes
“necromancy” 0 likes