Start by marking “Cursed Once More: The Sequel to With This Curse” as Want to Read:
Cursed Once More: The Sequel to With This Curse

Cursed Once More: The Sequel to With This Curse

The sequel to the highly acclaimed Gothic romance WITH THIS CURSE, winner of the 2015 Daphne du Maurier Award for historical mystery/suspense!

She went in search of her past… and found danger in the present. Former seamstress Clara Blackwood seems to have found happiness at last. Now a blissfully married baroness, she is mistress of a grand estate. But soon a mysterious
Published June 13th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Cursed Once More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed Once More

Start your review of Cursed Once More: The Sequel to With This Curse
Maggie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahdieu
This is a review for the audio book.

This is a gothic romance from Amanda DeWees. It’s the second of her books that I read but I spent some time reading some classic gothic romance and I have to say I like her style. There are some gothic elements but it’s not completely out and out gothic with twists that are there just to create sensation, especially in this one. She deals more with superstitions and how people deal with their prejudices rather than monsters or supernatural creatures.
I enjoyed
Lacey
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book! I Loved the characters, the writing style and the story. Although I guessed what was going to happen, it was still very enjoyable. I'm sad that I won't be reading any more of Clara and Atticus; I'll miss them... but I'll definitely be reading more of this author!
TJ
3.5/5.0
Peyton
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, first-reads, own
Once again, Amanda DeWees knocks it out of the park. We pick up right where we left off in the epilogue of With This Curse, less than a year after the wedding, the happy couple setting up homes for unwed mothers and Clara just aware of her own impending bundle of joy. Can I briefly mention my disgust for books (and films) that think that a series featuring the same couple means you have to keep breaking them up for stupid reasons to keep up the “tension”? It’s like they look at something that is ...more
Renee
I enjoy the voice of the main characters, Clara & Atticus, and so appreciate the way this author presents their love as something that uplifts, cleanses & makes each one a better person. They go through life hand-in-hand, using their property & fortune to make the world a better place for the downtrodden women & children the other nobles discard. I'm not sure that this was a stellar mystery because whenever Clara & Atticus are "on stage," they're all I notice! Thanks to ...more
Darrell Grizzle
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Amanda DeWees' previous novel, With This Curse, winner of the 2015 Daphne du Maurier Award for historical mystery/suspense, so I eagerly dived into this sequel. Cursed Once More has all the romance, suspense, intrigue, and action of the previous novel, taking us ever deeper into the lives of Clara and Atticus Blackwood. I hope there will be more novels in this series. Victorian Gothic at its finest.
Elizabeth

This book, the second in a series of modern gothic Victorian Romantic suspense novels, could be read as a stand-alone, but the first is so wonderful this should be read second. In fact, the author tried so hard to make this a stand alone novel in the beginning chapters that it was annoying. Far too many pages at the beginning recapping the first novel with information that was not necessary for this story.
Another aspect of the narrative style drove me crazy – the foreboding comments peppered
Karel
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

This is another fascinating book by Amanda DeWees and continues the story of Clara and Atticus! It keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end. This is another classic Gothic book. I really enjoyed it!!
Pam Burton
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved both books in this series. I was sad it ended. Please write more books like these!
Maurice
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cursed Once More" picks up where the exception gothic mystery/thriller "With This Curse" leaves off. Atticus and Clara are happily married following the harrowing events at Gravesend (I won't go into detail there in case you haven't read the first book, which if you haven't -- what are you waiting for?). But a mysterious letter from a long-lost relative places Clara in danger again as she unravels family secrets and plunges headfirst into madness, deceit.... and murder. As gripping a read as ...more
Maurice
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Madeline
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
As with the first book, With This Curse, I flew through Cursed Once More. I simply love Clara and Atticus. Some may find their relationship unrealistic, but I am a secret romantic with an INFJ personality and it was a perfect example of my ideal relationship...so I drooled over it.

The plot of this story was not as easy for me to predict as the previous one. I was so caught up in the happenings of the plot that I did not even catch the signs indicating who the true villain was - something I am
Abby
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COM picks up a little after With This Curse (you could read this one first but the character's have a rich back story). Clara and Atticus have been enjoying marriage, and their relationship is maturing when Clara receives a letter from her grubbing previously disinterested uncle. Summoned to her ancestral home to attend her ailing grandmother, Clara starts to learn more about her family's secrets.

True to the genre, the book is full of brooding atmosphere and mysterious characters. What I love
Inishowen Cailín
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Another exciting adventure for newlyweds, Clara and Atticus.
'Cursed Once More' takes place in Clara's ancestral home. Clara is invited to stay and meet her family and she is determined to find out as much as possible about them and her parents. However, there is more to this family reunion than meets the eye. Her grandmother alludes to a terrible family secret but is murdered before she gets the opportunity to divulge any useful information.
Clara's relatives are stranger than Atticus's family
Abby
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Lilmissmolly
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cursed Once More is another thoroughly enjoyable Gothic historical romance written by Amanda DeWees. Picking up after the events that transpired in With This Curse, Clara and Atticus are enjoying being newlyweds when Clara receives a letter from her grandmother whom she's never met. With hopes of learning more about her mother, as well as her father who died soon after she was born, the pair head off to meet the estranged family. Soon after they arrive, the couple are faced with murder, ...more
Lauren
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series does need to be read in order for complete understanding. I had forgotten how much I love this series. This review contains spoilers if you have not read the prior works. Clara who was supposed to marry one brother ends up marrying the other. In this book we follow their journey to uncovering her family's past. The story is fast paced and keeps you pulled into the story line, which takes many adventurous twists and turns. I had a feeling that a few of them were coming, but was blown ...more
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
This is 3.5 stars
The storyline was good, the writing was great. But I kept loosing interest. Even when "things were getting interesting" as some would say, But I just could not get wrapped up in the book.
I loved the characters, The author did great with them. I don't think that I would really change anything about how the book was written, I just could not keep going sometimes.
However, I am so glad that I did keep going! I was very interested in the mystery that was going on!!!
So I had to find
Pamela
I loved this book . It was the sequel to With This Curse. Clara and her husband and baron, Atticus visit with the same relatives that tossed her mother out years before.Her grandmother is said to be very ill. Clara finds the family very strange and foreboding. Strange secrets, even stranger events keep her and Atticus in danger. This was a great gothic mystery. with lots of twists. The village seemed afraid of the people in her family, and even Atticus. I love the relationship between Clara, and ...more
Raquel
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, fiction, september
Another deliciously creepy spellbinding tale about Clara and her husband Atticus. Long-lost family, family secrets, a crumbling estate, non-cheesy vampire lore, and yes, yet another curse all made for a real page turner. Amanda's lush prose and vivid descriptions bring her characters and setting to life. She is masterful at creating atmosphere and foreboding.

Now I'm selfishly hoping she'll keep writing more books about Clara, even though I feel kind of bad that she has to keep dealing with
Alice
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book Two : Clara's Family

Lusting for atmospheric gothic tales of danger, curses, murder and mystery? Needing a bit of true love thrown in to increase the tension? Read on and you will not be disappointed in any way by the second book which focuses on Clara's family, who turn out to be equally cursed along with Atticus' . Amanda DeWees is truly a direct and worthy descendant of the Brontes, and Du Maurier.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

In this sequel to “With This Curse”, Ms. DeWees once again creates the times and people of the regency era with such grace and beauty that one actually feels a part of that world!

Read full review in the 2015 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Laura Duxbury
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love love love

Miss DeWees keeps you guessing throughout, spins a wonderful tale. I'm not easily fooled and find many romantic fictions cheesy and obvious. This book is not either of those! Another review compared her writing to Victoria Holt, whom I really enjoy; I say DeWees is better!
Stacy Wood Woods
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
pretty good read. ..not as good as the first
Sarah Long
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Admittedly not as carefully crafted as the first book, but still madly entertaining and a very good depiction of the genre.
Andrea
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Like the first, a decent historical mystery. The heroine's gushing over her new husband's perfection got a little old, but not enough to really detract from the story.
Brittaney
Jan 27, 2016
maura g brady
Jan 21, 2019
Susan
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • A Time To Change
  • House Party Murder Rap (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 1)
  • Murder at the Tea Party: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 2)
  • Murder at the Car Rally: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 3)
  • The Unwanted Heiress (Archer Family, #1)
  • The Bricklayer's Helper (Archer Family, #2)
  • Second Sons Mysteries
  • Lady Rample and the Mysterious Mr. Singh (Lady Rample Mysteries Book 7)
  • Aunt Bessie Assumes (Isle of Man #1)
  • Lady Rample Steps Out (Lady Rample Mysteries #1)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Murder on the SS Rosa
  • Murder at Hartigan House
  • The Haunting of Ashburn House
  • The Girl in the Castle
Amanda DeWees received her PhD in English from the University of Georgia and wrote her dissertation on 19th-century vampire literature—the perfect training, although she didn’t know it at the time, for writing Victorian gothic romance novels. Her books include With This Curse, winner of the 2015 Daphne du Maurier Award in historical mystery/suspense. Her other passions include costuming, movies, ...more