Start by marking “Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend

Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend

Prepare to be blown away—or rather, carried away on huge muscular wings—by this blissfully outlandish, bracingly-smart, tour de force about a teen who has to come to terms with relinquishing control for the first time as she falls for the hot new…pterodactyl…at school. After all, everybody wants him!

Sheils is very pleased with her perfectly controlled life (controlling oth
Published March 22nd 2016 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

Kyra M
Nov 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Okay.. so this book is a whirl wind of things that I never imagined.
Also this review will have lots of spoilers in it because there is almost no way of describing the things that happen without a few spoilers so be warned.
So it starts off with the main character Shiels, looking up at the sky mesmerized at a 'crow' coming towards them making strange zig-zag patterns in the sky. However this is not a crow (though the crows come back a couple times), this is a pterodactyl 18 year old teenage boy,
Ellen Gail
Feb 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
Take me away to your lair you sexy beast!

This has to be the worst pile of crap I've EVER had the displeasure of reading. It's actually worse than Black Ice which is saying something! I honestly don't know how this shit even got bought by a publisher!

I was hoping for a hilarious satire making fun of the YA paranormal romance (because let's face it, no matter how much I love PNR, there are a lot of ridiculous tropes that are just begging for someone to take the piss out of them!) but this fails in every possible way.

The writing is horre
Gillian Berry
Jul 30, 2015 marked it as to-read
dafuq
Nova Zaiden
WHY DID I DO THIS TO MYSELF?
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I became interested in this book due to the cover, with its hyphenated text and sunset colors. I was thinking it would be a fun and slightly weird, possibly satirical, story with some kind of dinosaur shifter as a love interest.

"What do you mean a pterodactyl is attending your high school? They're extinct! How does he even exist?"

Well, it was definitely weird. And not in a good way. Unless you're weirder than I am, in which case maybe you'll like it.

For one thing, Pyke, the pterodactyl, was li
Sarah Churchill
I can't! I just can't.

No background, plot, purpose or explanation... just "hot pterodactyl is hot" (imagine that in a zombified voice).

DNF
Mary H
Jul 31, 2015 marked it as probably-not
I don't actually want to read this book, but I don't have a way of writing a review sharing a few thoughts without adding it to my shelves (edit: I know I can create an unwanted/uninterested shelf, but eh). My question is this: WHY is this a thing? Why is this a thing someone thought was appropriate to publish? Why is this a thing someone thought was appropriate to WRITE? I get that it's probably just making fun of a lot of paranormal books with creatures like vampires, werewolves, etc, but it b ...more
Rhea Dsouza
I mean this can only go two ways--either I love the shit out of it (which will be awesome) or I'll buy the book only to burn it (which is not good ever) so yeah.

Update after reading:

DNF @ 26%

There's only so much of this nonsense that I can tolerate. I kept waiting for the MC, Shiels, to make sense to me, or for anything in this book to interest me, but nada. I can't think of one reason why this would be brought into existence, let alone published and bought. Shiels' perfectionism was borderline
Oceansword
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't know what the hell I just read....but I'm pretty sure I didn't like it.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016, arc
This looks so weird. I MUST READ IT.
Tova
Oct 02, 2016 marked it as dnf
So far.... this is the weirdest book I have ever read. And the ratings are horrific. It's intriguing but it not really what I feel like reading right now. I'm currently in a reading slump/disappointment hangover/ i'm crazy busy and my reading taste in very erratic and mood based.
It wasn't bad but I don't have enough patience to push through (even though I'd probably end up enjoying it.)
brea
What the actual fuck did I just read??

Review to come... I need time to process this.
Julianna Minus
Feb 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
SO BAD!!!! Do not waste your life on this horrible book. Why?
1. It took me the whole book to figure this out and only in the acknowledgments I found out: this book takes place in Canada. That explains all the weird expressions and writing style! (And of course the appearance of a moose)
2. It's so stupid. The concept literally came from something Libba Bray (an amazing author) said in a speech. And Alan Cumyn actually believes in his book. He says in the acknowledgments: "Due to the sensitive na
Brandon Forsyth
Jan 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
So you have an idea for a book called "Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend"...wouldn't you want to put a bit of satire in it?
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
I have mixed feelings about this book.

It started off great. The beginning of this book was absurd and ridiculous, and I loved it. I swear the author just crammed in as many words with a sexual connotation as he could. The word "throbbed" was used at least three times within the first half hour. It was hilarious for its sheer ridiculousness, and the audiobook narrator deserves an award for keeping a straight face (voice?) throughout the entire thing. Also for her amazingly overdram
Emma
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
I expected fabulous and unusual things from 'Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend', the concept is right up my street and probably would have worked if it wasn't for the obscure and erratic, yet enormously basic, writing that plagues this bizarre teen novel. Cumyn's prose is distractingly absent of descriptive writing and the narrative is surprisingly frustrating to follow, simply because there are weird, gaping holes in the story and the plot shoots off in every which direction without logical progression ...more
Mandy
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5ish? (I can understand why this is so poorly rated so far, though... )

Read my full review on Forever Young Adult.
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was an absolute trainwreck. Not even fun, just....bad.
Wendy Darling
WTF. I want it.

Update: hah hah hah hah hah. THIS REVIEW AND ALL ITS SPOILERS:

Stacy Fetters
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
"And God said: Thou shalt use a condom because if not, you'll become rotund with child and become a teenage mother, bottom wiper, and human milk dispenser."

What in the actual fuck is this? It was so dreadfully awful that I got to forty percent and had to give up. There are so many thoughts zooming around in my head that it actually might explode from this.

To start off with, this started off confusing and it followed its way up until I gave up. It flew from one thing to another so quickly that i
Jillian
May 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I read this book so you don’t have to. You’re welcome.

Sometimes, a book you think is going to be a train wreck is actually pretty awesome. (See my review of Rampage at Waterloo!) And other times, a book you think is going to be a train wreck is a *glorious* train wreck. It’s so bad it’s awesome. You giggle. You guffaw. You give it a good rating because, even though it was terrible, it was fun to read.

And then, every so often…

You get Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend.

Guys.

It was bad.

It was SO. BAD.

It was
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not terribly into paranormal romances. But when I saw the title of this book, I couldn't resist reading it because I had to find out how you could even have a dinosaur as a love interest. I expected this to be funny because the title is so hilarious...but it actually had way more depth to it than I would have thought possible. The main character, Shiels, is the student body president and a complete type-A personality. She's used to being in control of just about everything in her life and at ...more
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
I understand that this was an absurdist take on satirizing the paranormal boyfriend trope in YA, so it's not a matter of me not "getting" it. My issues with this book stem from the fact that it is too absurd to enjoy, much less appreciate the author's intended intellectual snobbery. I could suspend belief enough to accept a pterodactyl boy transferring into a high school, and that our anal retentive type A main character would be overwhelmed at her inability to control the situation, or herself. ...more
Dulce
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't really enjoy this book but 3 stars because I think it was original and accomplished what it set out to do which is completely frustrate and confuse the readers.

I can now say I've read a handful of absurdist written works and this is definitely characteristic of the strange reading experiences I have when I read absurdist texts.

Don't read this like your typical YA, but then again do, because I believe it's supposed to make you incredibly frustrated and angry that characters use foreign
Olivia
Jan 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at page 42. Thought the concept sounded neat, but I just really hate the writing and it was a struggle to even get to page 42.
Todd Strasser
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Got the ARC at NCTE yesterday. Couldn't stop reading it there and on the plane home. SO clever, SO funny, SO spot-on!
Leah
I have nothing to say.
Jordan Fleming
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: recent-reads
I'm not even going to say "What the fuck did I just read?" like some other book reviewers on Goodreads. I'm not even going to say "This book was trash". Because it obviously was, trash I mean. What I do want to know is how I can get a book published from my own clearly Ambien driven word vomit like it this author did. I do believe Hemingway said "write drunk, edit sober". Alan Cumyn clearly took this as "WRITE HIGH AS BALLS TO THE WALLS 24/7".

Okay so you've read the description and if you haven'
Mmmhhmm
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
My Charlie Quinn ...: Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend by Alan Cumyn 1 18 Jul 02, 2016 06:48PM

• Character, Driven
  • Torn (The Feuds, #2)
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Bridge of the Gods (The Silver Mountain Series #1)
  • Spandex and the City
  • Superfail
  • Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013
  • The Graphic Canon of Children's Literature: The World's Great Kids' Lit as Comics and Visuals (The Graphic Canon)
  • Skyfire (Chasing the Valley #3)
  • Breathe (Undine, #2)
  • Also Known as Elvis (The Misfits, #4)
  • Macbeth
  • Fat Boy vs the Cheerleaders
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)
  • Untidy Towns