Start by marking “The Choice” as Want to Read:
The Choice

The Choice

How do you heal from your past when you're still trapped within it?

I lost myself the night of the party. Just like that, my innocence and my sanity were torn away.

I would like to say that time heals all wounds, but it doesn't. And I would like to say that falling in love is what rescued me, but it wasn't. Nobody told me what to expect in the coming days and weeks and mon
Published May 23rd 2015 by Booktrope (first published June 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choice

Philomena Callan Cheekypee
I've just finished this book and the first thing I did was text my book buddy saying this is a must read.
The topic isn't an easy topic to write about or read about. However the author wrote this beautifully. She portrayed May as a real character. My heart broke for May. We read of how traumatic the experience was and how she dealt with it ever since.

Although there are taboo subjects I thought the author did a beautiful job with this story. I've got to admit I had goosebumps reading parts of th
Max Baker
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

It's very rare that I can't find a single redeemable quality about a book. Usually there's either a character a like or a message that I agree with. Not in this book though. There is nothing I like about The Choice. I hated the characters, the message, and just the way such a sensitive subject was handled.

I wouldn't go so far as too say this was absolutely disgusting, but it's not a book I would recommend. Ev
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I really struggled with this book, the synopsis sounded like a great foundation for what should have been a really emotive and conflicted book. Sadly I found it lacked in a lot of areas. Once I was past the first few chapters quite frankly I was just bored.

I didn't connect with the characters, felt distanced from them and the story itself. I wanted it to have so much more depth to it than it did considering it was tackling such an important and difficult topic. It could have really gone to anot
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
DNF @22%

In fairness to the author I gave up pretty quickly so please don't let my quitter tendancies deter you from reading The Choice. IMHO there was very little plot & a whole lot of fluff which is not my thing..

** I wish the author much success**

Jena
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me just start by saying that this book was absolutely beautiful and it will be one that I will NEVER forget. I am not a crier and sometimes I have tears in my eyes ... one might leak free while I'm reading, but I had to sit this book down and just cry for a minute because oh my gosh!!! It was intense and it was just so beautifully written.

So the book synopsis talks about what happens in the book. May got raped and ended up pregnant with her rapist's child. When I read the synopsis I knew I
Michelle
Charlie
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read to review basis. Thanks to Allison, J. Kennedy, Booktrope and Net Galley.)

3/5 stars

The Choice is about a young girl May who just so happens to the in the wrong place and wrong time and sadly ends up getting raped. A couple of weeks later, she discovers as a result of getting raped, she is now pregnant with her rapist's child. How on earth does one cope when put in that situation? Completely unanswerable until you've been in the character
Natalie Frampton
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from netgalley to give my honest opinion.

The Choice is about a young girl May who when at a party is cruelly raped by a boy from her school. We follow before and after the incident and how May copes with the trauma o the rape and finding out she is pregnant.

I'm always intrigued by books like these and how such a sensitive subject is approached by the author . I think Allison J. Kennedy does a great job of telling May's story and approaching it in the correct way. The subject
Nicole
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Choice is a thoughtful and sensitively written book about rape. While some readers will find this too difficult to read, it is a book that was surprisingly hopeful and shouldn't be avoided just because the topic is tough. The narrative jumps between the protagonist's present and the past which is probably the most effective way I could imagine for keeping this book from turning into the most depressing read ever. It is clear from the start that whatever went down, May survived her ordeal and ...more
Lustful Literature
**MEGAN'S REVIEW**

I really hate to rate this so low but it's truly ONLY because it wasn't such a romance story as it was struggling with a very difficult situation. With a choice. Yes, there turned out to be happiness but first and foremost, to me, this is not a 'love' story.

I will be honest and say I almost stopped reading because I was over the whole high school, juice box, OMG story but then you meet Tyler and there is something that is fishy about him.

"Are you a bird or a fish?"

"What a crue
Miranda
I received a copy via net galley.

"Are you a bird or a fish?"

"What a cruel question to ask someone before trying to breaking their wings".

It's always a struggle to read about this topic, it's such a scary thing. But I think the author handled it flawlessly. The main character goes through a tragic thing a we take a journey with her in finding yourself again and learning to let go and realize it's not your fault and you can find happiness again. Elijah healed her in many ways but I truly think he
Shanna
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book really touched me. I liked how the author wrote about rape and abortion, but yet it was written so beautifully that she didn't force her opinion on anyone. You can find the full review on my blog, I also have a guest post from the author on there.

Samantha Soccorso
A.J. Adwen has written yet another wonderful book that I highly recommend for everyone to read. Though it is a touchy subject for some the story was bought together beautifully. I loved the main characters and how they were around for each other through thick and stone. Also seeing how far friendships can take you through a vulnerable time period means a lot too.
J.D. Rivera
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start? This was a very emotional read that sucked me in from the beginning. AJ Adwen's writing style sucked me in and I felt all of May's emotions. It was an incredible read that I would highly recommend.
Danielle Burrows
An easy read of a traumatic subject.

I love the authors style and prose but it's her approach to the subject that I give her most credit for. Thoughtful and without judgement.
Lorcan Redvers
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had hopes that it would be truely impactful. I can say without a doubt i was incredibly disappointed.
Firstly, the discription of this book does not accurately describe it. It is not the story which i believed i was getting into when i bought it. It is described as a rape survivor finding healing in conceiving her rapists child, whereas it is so far from this.
Secondly, the protagonist within this story seeks healing in the existance of a guy. Which honestly makes me sick. She feels strangely co
We like it big book blog
Tbird London
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
I found this book really struck a personal cord with me; the message was universal and applies to every breathing soul no matter what event tried to bring you to your knees. Are you a bird or a fish? Simple question really, do you swim on the ocean floor with the mass and hope to stay invisible or do you soar in the sky, willing to find your way solo, exposing your beauty? That is the question we should all ask ourselves, but the story doesn’t end there. What happens when people, life and events ...more
JBro
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I want to go ahead and mention that this book not only contains rape triggers, but it also discusses the definitely heavy topic of abortion, as well as Depression and Anxiety.

May is in the beginning of her senior year of high school when the unthinkable happens - she is raped. From this point, the story is about May learning to admit to herself that she was raped, learning to trust others again, and also making some big decisions regarding her body and her future. That all sounds so simple
Sassy Southern Book Affair

April
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Many thanks to Booktrope, via NetGalley, for an opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review!

3.5

This book was a hard one for me to read -- and probably a hard one for Kennedy to write -- because rape is a tough topic to write about. Although it reads fairly quickly, due to the subject matter, I found that I had to read only small bits at a time.

As aforementioned, I know that rape is a tough topic to write about -- but it's even more difficult to write about it in a sensitive, n
books are love
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first thought is how amazing and caring Elijah (Alex) is. Throughout the whole book once he is introduced he doesn’t see her May as broken or tainted. He only sees May as May. He sees her possibilities, her kindness and how beautiful she is on the inside. As they grow closer he sees how kind and smart she is. He never pressures her or makes her feel scared or unwanted. There is only kindness, patience and love from Elijah. What is more important is he lets her find her way and supports her th ...more
Starlight
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve recently gotten myself into a bit of a realistic/contemporary fiction obsession. Where I once filled my shelves and wish lists with the newest Dystopian/Scifi/Fantasy/Paranormal novels, I’m now starting to find myself drawn to these realistic novels with real-world problems and tearjerking moments (not to say that I’m done with the other genres!)

I received a copy of The Choice from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I started it on Friday, and I finished it very early Sunday mornin
Tiffany Readz
Strong. Courageous. Brave. Too Young. Those are words I would use to describe the character Allison J. Kennedy has given us in her book The Choice. A Brave young girl faced with a decision I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Sensitive. Kind. Understanding. Perfect Timing. Are the words I would use to describe the boy who doesn't save, but rather helps the girl.

May is a seventeen-year old senior getting her school year in order, excited to start college. She is a bright girl and with a Neurosurgeo
Sally
I found this to be a fast and compelling read. At first I wasn't all that sure what the point of the "now" chapters were - every so often we'd get a few pages set a few years after the rape and they just seemed kind of irrelevant. (view spoiler) ...more
Alyce Hunt
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a little bit apprehensive going into 'The Choice', because rape is such a sensitive issue. Sometimes authors just don't deal with it properly, and it comes off as cheap and unemotional - just a gimmick to sell more copies of their novel - but I'm happy to say that the topic is not used like that at all in this novel.
We follow May, from the night before the party where she gets raped to a place four years down the line from the incident. The rape occurs at the very start of the novel, just
Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog
4.25 Stars!

This was such a different book. I did not know what to expect when I started this book, going in rather blind but I quickly caught on and was taken on an emotional journey. This book will make you feel emotions. This book will make you look at life a little differently. This book will show that with every choice in life there is a consequence.

This is May's journey. May is just a young girl excited for college. She lives in a structured environment and has a few close friends. Her li
Stephanie
No matter how many books I read that deal with the subject of rape it's always gut-wrenching to imagine and comprehend such an awful situation, and the agony it inflicts on the victim. Always. On that note, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who finds the topic of rape or abortion intolerable.

The Choice is a fast-paced and absorbing story about a girl named May who is raped at a party and struggles to cope with the aftermath, naturally. Frankly, I thought the choices she made throughout the boo
Shay
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished The Choice and man, what a read. This story has a lot going for it. It does deal with sensitive things so keep that in mind while you read it. Its not easy but it had to be done in this way for a reason. I give kudos to the author for taking rape and turning it into an enjoyable read, so not saying rape is enjoyable because it is totally not but what I mean is, its about the characters and we get to read from start to finish with rape and it turns into a beautiful story.

I didnt w
Loretta
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The author tackles the emotionally charged topic of rape & abortion with love, compassion, incredible insights, understanding, and without judgements.
It's painful and heartbreaking but it grabs you. An extraordinary, beautifully written story and one I will not soon forget, long after reading the last page.

The author included an interview at the end of the book where she spoke about writing to heal. The entire interview is a must read!

A brief example of what she said, "I wrote this book b
« previous 1 3 next »
Allison is the author of four books, which have all caught fire with her young adult readership. She enjoys writing for a young adult audience, and her style is emotional, raw, and passionate.

Born and raised in Oregon, she now resides in Oklahoma with her husband and two cats.