Start by marking “When We Last Spoke” as Want to Read:
When We Last Spoke

When We Last Spoke

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
With the heart and humor of Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes and Rebecca Wells's Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, author Marci Henna introduces you to the Cranbournes-a mostly lovable and undoubtedly nutty family who've had more than their fair share of hard times.

A beautiful blend of tears and laughter, When We Last Spoke tells the tale of sisters Juliet and Eva
Published June 9th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Nina Everson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read in the genre of Fannie Flagg

I received this book to read and review from Amazon. What a heart warming and touching book about love. Tears of joy and sadness were a constant when enjoying this synapse of life in Texas in the late 1960’s.
Pat Welte
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Last We Spoke

I enjoyed reading this story, what a "blast to the past". Heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. I loved these characters in all their glory. I would read any books by this author anytime.
Jasmine
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes love comes in quirky packages

When We Last Spoke is a moving tale of the messiness of life, of love and loss, sacrifice and forgiveness, and growing up. Told through the eyes of a little girl, now grown up, we meet a quirky family who never give up through tough circumstances, a family that is broken but hangs onto the most important thing of all, Love.

I really enjoyed the way Marci Henna so authentically told the story through the perspective of young Juliet. The style of writing drew
Mel
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a trip to Fireside, Texas and you will want to stay there for more than ‘just a spell.’ The author, Marci Henna, tells the story of Juliet and Evangeline Cranbourne, two children being raised by their grandparents Walt and Ruby Cranbourne. Walt and Ruby raise the girls with love and teach the girls the true meaning of family. Throughout the trials they face in childhood, Juliet and Evangeline learn about family, strength, friendships, about forgiveness and healing.

Set in the late 1960’s, Ma
Deanna Stevens
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
This was an entertaining read.. Sister's left to live with grandparents who teach them what family should be all about. The references to Elvis were a fun family memory for the girls and the memories they made.. It certainly was a story pointing to the things that matter most—family, friends, love and forgiveness.
Abbie Riddle
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marci Henna has written a novel that will resonate in the hearts of many even after they put the novel down. The Cranbourne Family has faced their share of heartache and loss but the deep ties of family, love and faith become the buoy that keeps this family afloat. Walt and Ruby become the soul family for their granddaughters of the loss of both of their parents.
Henna does an excellent job of bringing to life each character and navigating the waters of loss, love, faith and trials and the emoti
Debi Lantzer
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When We Last Spoke by Marci Henna is a timeless story full of love, heartache, laughter and forgiveness. Although it was nothing like I thought it was going to be, this book was very enjoyable and a great read!

When We last Spoke starts out in the modern day with Juliet, who lives in Fireside, Texas, where she grew up. She's waiting for her sister, Evangeline to come to town to help her pick out a gravestone for their grandparents, Walt and Ruby. It is very easy to see there's been some "distance
Becky Van Daniker
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When We Last Spoke is a beautiful tale that everyone will enjoy. It begins in modern day with Juliet who is still living in Fireside, Texas. Her and her sister, Evangeline, have allowed a rift from their past to come between them for years. To really understand how this happened, Mrs. Henna takes us back to when the two sisters were children being abandoned on their grandparents doorstep by their mother. She wanted to live her life performing in New York City. Their father was away defending our ...more
Leah
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When We Last Spoke by Marci Henna is set in Fireside, Texas during and after the Vietnam War. It's a story of memories made and family bonds and secrets that can threaten relationships. It's a great read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The book begins in modern day with Juliet. She still lives in Fireside, Texas where she grew up, and she's waiting for her sister, Evangeline to come to town to help her pick out a gravestone for their grandparents. Readers find out that there's been distance between th
Rachel Dodson
I got this book because the plot really intrigued me. I like family stories and this one sounded like one that is enjoy. I was a bit disappointed in it though. The description was not quite right. The book actually spends most of its time in the past. Almost all of the book is spent telling about the sisters when they were younger. There were also several spots that felt like they edited and didn't replace it with anything. Almost like a random thought that didn't go with the story. The biggest ...more
Vera Godley
On today's bookstore shelves and libraries, there are many styles of writing, genres of interest, and types of characters and events to portray. As I began reading When Last We Spoke, I quickly saw that this was not a style or character portrayal I prefer, but I thought perhaps I need to infuse a bit of variety into my reading. So I continued to read.

The story is of two little girls abruptly dumped on their grandparents by an uncaring, selfish mother who flees the scene. The father is in Vietnam
Susan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine you’re a woman in your 50s. One day, your daughter-in-law leaves her family. Your son is shipped off to Vietnam. Their two young daughters come to live with you and your husband. Just as you’re getting used to that, you get word that your son has been killed. That’s not all either, because your quirky and ornery mother-in-law moves in, too.

If this all stresses you out, you can relate to the plight of Ruby Cranbourne in “When We Last Spoke,” by Marci Henna. But Ruby is that woman we’d all
Alison Shaffer
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The setting of old and new times brings me back to childhood right back to today. When we Last Spoke is about two sisters that grow up with their grandparents, the things they learned, the love they felt, and then they grew up and went their own ways, Until Christmas when one sister wants the other one to come home-the home they grew up in. Will she? What drove them apart and will they heal and be best sisters again.
Annette Anderson
"When We Last Spoke" is a wonderful story of a simple time and simple place. Love is the main character in this book. As a child of the 60's, and one that was raised by her grandparents, I can definitely feel this book come to life.
I love the characters and their personalities. A husbands love for his wife and a wife's love for him. Sisters who share a deep bond of oneness and their love for their grandparents. Hope for better things , but settling for what they have and making it amazing.
The gi
Diana Montgomery
A enjoyable book of time of past. Bought back memories of the old days. This book will make you laugh and probably bring up a few tears. It's the story of two sisters Juliet and Evangeline. Fro the death of the father and mother leaving them to pursue her own dreams. The girls are being raised by grandparents. I think there is a lot of nutty things going on in this family. Story of finding hope and forgiveness . Story of love and devotion. Think we all can think back to a time with our grandpare ...more
Sandy Sandmeyer
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When We Last Spoke is Marci Henna's story of Juliet and Evangeline Cranbourne left on their grandparent's porch by their mother as she lit out of town for the big city lights of Broadway shortly after their father left for war.

The small town of "Fireside, Texas where no strangers are known! We are the home of the free and the brave and everlasting polite persons. We never take the last cookie and never eat beets, but thank the hostess for them anyway."

When We Last Spoke is narrated by Juliet, t
LuAnn
On one level, When We Last Spoke is about the relationship between sisters Juliet and Evangeline Cranbourne. On another level, the book speaks to sisterhood in general (blood relations or not), the things that bind us together and those that tear us apart. When We Last Spoke is like Stand By Me for the ladies.

I could drum up little or no sympathy for the girls' mother. It's bad enough that she 'abandoned' Evangeline and Juliet at all - even to follow her dream. IMO, when you bring a soul into th
Adena
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t love a book about good ‘ole Southern people, tight family bonds and the secrets they hold? Juliet and her sister Evangeline are being raised by their Texan grandparents when their father goes off to war and their mama decides to go to New York to start her star-studded career. The grandparents, Walt and Ruby, have an ageless love and provides a stable home for the young girls and do their best to protect them and raise them right.

As in every family, there are some secrets that are k
Charlotte Truex
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A+ Read

Best book I have read in a long time. I enjoyed the characters in the story. I hated for the book to end.
Melissa B.
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet, sometimes funny story about two sisters, Juliet and Evangeline, who live with their paternal grandparents. Their dad is fighting in the Vietnam War, and their mom has run off to New York City to pursue fame.

I loved this story, especially Juliet and Evangeline's spunky grandparents, Walt and Ruby.

The bulk of this story takes place when the girls are young. The last few chapters take place after the girls are older and Walt and Ruby have passed away. This is the weakest section be
Ashley Roggow
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is something I can cuddle up to and travel back in time with. The characters are full bodied and relatable. The story seems real and is something you can lose yourself in. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was heartwarming and entertaining and wasn't something that was far fetched and unrealistic. Not only were the characters relatable, so we're there experiences. Life happens and everything can have an effect on you. It was also interesting because of the time period. Definitely a mu ...more
Amity Garwood
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a joy to read this wonderful novel by Marci Henna! "When We Last Spoke" is a a timeless story full of love, heartache, laughter and forgiveness. By book's end, "Squirrel," "Rabbit," Walt, Ruby and the other characters were familiar to me and I appreciated their strength, loss, perseverence and love. Thanks for providing such a great read!
Tony Parsons
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fireside, TX (Maitlin County). Juliet “Squirrel” Cranbourne (sister, narrator), & Evangeline “Rabbit” Lynette Cranbourne (sister), attended Fireside Elementary School.
James Nelson Cranbourne (father) was in the military & Marguerite Cranbourne (mother) was having a good ole time in NYC.
Ruby Cranbourne (Mamaw, nee Gemburree), & Walter Scott Cranbourne (Walt, grandfather, farmer/rancher) kept a watchful eye on the 2.
It was never a dull moment around the Cranbourne household.
Itasca Cr
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flyby-promotions
*Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for my honest review*

This should have been a really sweet book. Unfortunately, there was a good amount of bad language (mostly 'd' and 'h') and a handful of references to what a lady was wearing and how she looked. Nothing terrible, but not helpful or necessary to the story. I was ready to quite by the fifth chapter, but I received this book for free in return for a review, so I needed to finish it. I ended up speed reading the rest.

Honestly, the be
Penny Minding Mom
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Welcome to Fireside, Texas – Where no strangers are known! Home of the free and the brave, and the everlasting polite person. We never take the last cookie. No one eats beets, but we thank the hostess for them, anyway. Population: eight hundred forty-seven. Climate: cheerful and cozy. Main industry: minding our children and our neighbours business.” (page 7 “When We Last Spoke”)

I live in a place similar to this. Everyone knows everyone and when you need a helping hand there is always one, two o
Missica Skeens pullen
I'm not really sure how to write up this review. I mean, I really, REALLY wanted to love this book. I was so excited to receive, and then I started reading it. I just couldn't get into it. to me, it felt like it was all over the place with no real plot. No climax, no conflict, no resolution. Yes, I get the conflict part would be the sisters and their relationship, but that's pretty much it. It's like listening to family stories that concern people I don't know. The bulk of the book is spent rete ...more
Cindy Navarro
"When We Last Spoke" is well-written, but I think my expectations were too high. I normally love fiction set in the South with quirky characters and a humorous way of viewing life that can also illuminate a hidden truth. While quirkiness and humor is a part of this book, something just did not quite resonate with me. Some of the actions of characters did not always seem to ring true and there were times characters would teeter into 'beyond the grave' experiences that I was not comfortable with e ...more
Alysa
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lovely story, with really interesting characters and setting. As a Canadian, I especially loved the Southern-isms, some I even had to look up what the meaning behind them were. I found that the story flowed really well, the writing was beautiful, and the characters were quite lovable. It was a book that I had a hard time putting down, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a sweet Southern story. ( I received this book in exchange for a review, but the opinions ...more
Suzie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description is a little misleading. Yes, everything listed in the description happens but the bulk of the book is a throwback to when Juliet and Evangeline are just girls, coming to terms with being left by their mother and father.

I expected more quirky town characters—there are really only two who get a good amount of mention, but they are both memorable in their own way. There was not a good development of the rift between the sisters. You know there is one because the adult Juliet talks a
Deborah aka Reading Mom