Start by marking “The 20th Century Art Book” as Want to Read:
The 20th Century Art Book

The 20th Century Art Book

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  10,102 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Covering the international nature of the modern art scene, this title encompasses established, iconic works of art and the classics of the future. It presents 500 artists in an alphabetical order, each represented by a full-page colour plate of a definitive work and an incisive text which sheds light on both image and creator.
Published May 1st 2007 by Phaidon Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The 20th Century Art Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 20th Century Art Book

Amanda O'Kelley
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I love this small book, when Im trying to derive inspiration from something in order to start a piece of my own.

It features tons and tons of amazing works from Picasso, to O'Keefe, Matisse, Cezanne, Pollock, Klimt (Big Breath) Brancussi, Boccioni and Rodin.

My absolute favorite artist being Frida Kahlo because of her feminism, and weakness to her true love Diego, and beautiful bright colored works boldly portraying brutal agony of living life as a mexican woman in an age that wasn't ready for su
Alan
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Encyclopedists
Recommended to Alan by: Cover and concept
Well... it's a 20th-Century art book, anyway.

I read The 20th Century Art Book straight through, from Acconci to Zorio, which is perhaps not the best and certainly not the only way to use this brilliantly-conceived reference work, even though I personally enjoyed going through this book page by page, encountering old favorites and artists new to me in a sequence which owed nothing to schools, or regions, or influences. On equal terms.

Precisely equal terms, in fact. Each of the artists considered—
Solla
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Each page contains a color reproduction of an artwork (500 artworks), and a couple of paragraphs of commentary about the work and its context. There is a note about the date, place, dimensions of the work, and the date of birth and (if applicable) death of the artist. 4 - 6 names of closely related artists are listed for most. It is probably no better and no worse than most other anthologies for including women, but did have one work each for two that are not always included, Kollwitz and Moders ...more
Kayleigh
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a good book to dip in and out of, yet even though the size of it is handy for being able to flip through quickly, it means that the images are rather small (but still of a high quality). The best thing about this book is the snippets of information, which makes you want to know more about that artist and their work, so whatever you do don't just pass them by, sometimes they are more interesting than the artwork itself.
Matt Vandegriff
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short review: I love all of the Phaidon Art books (and music books). The art books are just a wonderful collection from widely different sources and the books themselves are laid out beautifully. They are, of course, introductions to a spectrum of the artworld (time period, artist specific, genre, etc...), but a wonderful starting point for anyone curious in general, or interested in finding a direction to explore further.
Nigel Wilson
Although some of the art in this book is what I would class a being created by talented and inspiring people ( Bryan Organ for example).... Most of it could be have been created by a nursery school class of 4 year olds... All this is art.?... Really?
lurra
Apr 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Had I bought this book 4 years ago, I wouldn't have had to go to art school. Hur hur.
Juan Manuel Wills
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Se nota un buen esfuerzo de presentar una muestra de obras representativas del siglo XX, particularmente en el expresionismo abstracto, clasificadas por autor
Josephine
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Large photos on each page with limited text (the way like art books).
Stephen
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, especially for college students studying art or art history.
Phillip
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Detailed Survey of 20th Century Art by Artist. Short concise descriptions and bio of work and Artist. Ends with helpful Glossaries of Terms and Artistic Movements. Good Quality Pictures.
Aubrey
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Great small hand-held book full of art that folks aren't usually familiar with.
Rebecca Gulotta
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic reference on modern art.
Marilyn
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. each page is a different artist. I discovered kandinsky whom I had not heard of before. It made some names at MoMA familiar.
Christiana Guinle
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ARTE , UMA MARAVILHA ,VALE A pena , recomendo!!!!!!!
Leez Matías
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quisiera hablar de todos los artistas que se encuentran aquí pero es imposible. Me encanta este libro, saco mucha inspiración.
Crystal
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Colorful, informative and compactly sized, I thoroughly enjoyed it very much.
Paula
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great overview of 20th century art and well work the read
Tomas Howells
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
my favourite collection of art in book form
Steven
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good selection of pieces and artists. Some of the descriptions were a bit trite and naff.
Mii
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read!
Beth
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much in high school art class that I had to own it as an adult. Still a flip through favourite.
Zandee Glz
Increíble como libro de consulta, muy buena calidad y muy completo
Anna Lane
  • Cindy Sherman: Untitled Films Stills
  • ARh+
  • The Painted Word
  • Interaction of Color
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1763
  • The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher
  • Dali: The Paintings
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • The Story of Painting
  • Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist
  • Women, Art, and Society (World of Art)