Start by marking “Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme” as Want to Read:
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme

Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme

Le Bourgeois gentilhomme est une comédie-ballet, en cinq actes en prose.

Le Bourgeois gentilhomme nous raconte l'histoire comique d'un riche bourgeois qui essaye d'imiter la façon de vivre et le comportement des nobles.
Mass Market Paperback, Petits Classiques, 239 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Larousse (first published October 14th 1670)

To ask other readers questions about Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme

Fabian
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, so I did not read this in French and therefore am afraid that a bunch of the wit got lost in translation. There is enough however (despite the full-on mastery of a language in this whimsical play) that is universal here to still feel relevant. It's so impressively relevant in fact, some 400 years after it was written, that I suffered chills and, better yet, muffled many laughs (!!).

Moliere must be the Oscar Wilde of his country (or is it the other way around?). Indeed the structure of this v
Rıdvan
Çok güzel bir oyun.
Tiyatro ile ilgilenen herkesn okumuş ve hatta izlemiş olması lazım.
Hatta ilginç detay; yıllar once Fransa lideri ziyarete gelen Türk temsilcilerine karşı bir iyi niyet gösterisi olması adına Moliere'e ısmarlamış bu oyunu. Dolayısıyla oyun içerisinde çok fazla Türk motifleri var. Türkleri öven pek çok şey bulabilirsiniz.
Kibarlık budalası bir adam var ki oyunun adını oyunu kuyunca daha çok beğendim.
Varlıklı bir sonradan görme var. dolayısıyla etrafında bir sürü dalkavuk var.
TS
fun fact: when you go to a French middle school, your drama class doesn't consist of shakespearean plays but of French comedic plays about rich old cis straight white men making complete fools of themselves for prestige and social status. it's a Fun Time™
Mεδ Rεδħα
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Bien sûr, nous la connaissons tous plus ou moins cette pièce ; nous l'avons tous plus ou moins subie ou adorée à l'école (au collège en particulier). Cependant, dans nos années " matures " (c'est-à-dire en nos années " ridées "), il ne nous en reste bien souvent qu'un souvenir très vague ou une réminiscence tellement ténue qu'il nous est parfois bien malaisé de s'en faire encore une idée fiable.

Bien évidemment, il y a des petits côtés désuets chez Molière, la mécanique est parfois lourde et très
Jacqueline Lima
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french
Hilariante!!
Bianca
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“secretul scrimei stă în două lucruri: să dai și să nu primești”
Sofia🍃
I hate my French class but this was actually really funny. Only complaints are that the Turkish plot line is lowkey racist (I get that this was written in the 15/1600s and the French were really fascinated by how foreign and “different” the Turks were, with their turbans and what not) and the drawings are SO BAD. Please publisher, commission a new artist or something, but these pictures are the worst that I’ve ever seen. It’s such an ugly art style. Besides that, this is a really fun French play ...more
David Sarkies
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like a good laugh
Shelves: comedy
A farcical attempt to climb the social ladder
31 May 2013

This is a play about a middle class merchant whose goal in life is to become a member of the aristocracy and he tries many things, including arranging his daughter's marriage, to achieve that goal. In a way this desire is almost an obsession, and his friends take advantage of this by playing a joke on him: they pretend to be members of the Turkish court and bestow him with the title of Paladin.
The desire to better oneself socially and to
Realini
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme by Moliere

Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme is a funny play... or is it a farce?
I laughed and enjoyed the sarcasm.
On the other hand, there are some features of the poor Bourgeois Gentilhomme that made me pity him and even more at times, empathise with him.
He is ridiculous, vain, false and his values and judgements change from moment to moment, depending on who is presenting him alternatives: if this point of view is argued by a „noble”, then that’s the way it should be.
He goes as
Victor Morosoff
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La preuve que la bourgeoisie et l'érudition n'ont comme source que le naturel. 4,5/5
Elif  Yıldız
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ya ben seni çok sevdim MOLIERE!

Bu yazarla yeni tanıştım. Bu yazara ait olan okuduğum ikinci kitap, Kibarlık Budalası. Kitabı gerçekten çok sevdim. Bu yazarın kaleminden Piyes okumak şahane. Aslında yazarın konu edindiği hikayeler mümkün her yerde bir benzerini görebileceğiniz hikayeler. Ancak yazar bu hikayeleri piyese döktüğünden ve kendi şahane dilini kullandığından bambaşka bir şeye dönüşüyorlar.

Bu kitapta Türklere yapılan vurgular özellikle, hem beni şaşırttı hem de hoşuma gitti denebilir.
Mehdi Jemaa
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre, classics
c'est sans doute la pièce de molière qui m'a fait le plus rire. et puis encore une fois je ne peux qu’attester du génie de molière qui lui permet de comprendre si bien la Nature humaine, pour cette fois-ci c'était la tendance qu'a chacun de nous à vouloir toujours paraître mieux qu'il ne l'est vraiment, et ce qui est paradoxal dans cette pièce c'est que l'on rit énormément du comportement du bourgeois gentilhomme, mais parfois l'on a aussi pitié de lui.
en tout cas c'était une excellente et agré
Sara Aouichi
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
this was an alright read ^^
Olivia C
Funny! I read it in French which was kind of cool, but it was abridged and I’m not a huge fan of abridged versions. A lil bit sexist but this is Molière so I don’t really care. Good for french class!
Denise Özel
Tiyatro oyunları okumaya çok alışkın değilim şu anda,ikinci oldu bu. Beni güldürmeyi başaran,eğlenceli bir oyun olmasına karşın arksında mesajlar olmasını sevdim.
Stephanie
Actually reading it out of Oeuvres Complètes - Tome II

English review below the French.
Vraiment une pièce amusante. J’ai apprécié le pragmatisme de Madame Jourdain, surtout pour cet époque – elle ne laisse pas son mari faire toutes les décisions pour elle ni pour la famille (enfin, pas vraiment), et c’est juste. J’ai pensé que les blagues avec les maîtres différents vont durer plus longtemps, mais ils ont laissé la place à l’amour entre Cléonte et Lucile. La résolution pour comment Cléonte et Luc
Ben
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A comedy-ballet and issues concerning a man who wants to live above his station -- very similar in these two regards to Molière's shorter play from two years earlier, George Dandin. Like so many of Molière's leading characters, we are situated to view M. Jourdain, the title character of this play ("The Bourgeois Gentleman," or sometimes translated as "The Would-Be Gentleman") as a fool, a caricature obsessed with social standing (similar to Dandin, but more clearly so in this work). This bourgeo ...more
Sergei Moska
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I'd give this somewhere between three and four stars. My reception of the story changes a lot depending on how I think Moliere wants the reader / viewer of the play to interpret the main character's troubles. In the final act, the main character gets duped by purported "Turks", and the comedy certainly comes from (1)his credulity, (2)his pomposity, and (3)the fact that he is not acting according to his "proper" station in life. Leaving aside the fact that Moliere is celebrating ossified social h ...more
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, another great play from Moliere! This one rivals Tartuffe the most in my opinion as the best play he wrote, because I was really engaged with this one. Moliere is a master of wit in almost any situation; he is, in my opinion, a master satirist. The Gentleman in Spite of Himself is a play about the bourgeoisie trying to act as the upper class. For a majority of the play, the main character is seen having lessons from multiple teachers of fine arts, inlcuding dance, music, fenicng, and philos ...more
Roxy
We read this play out loud in Euro class, but I suppose it counts since I technically read it. Anyhow, what a fun play...the whole class was laughing out loud most of the time...and the people who read were quite comical as well. I really enjoyed it/how it relates to what we are learning in the class right now...I should get on reading some more plays cause when I write dialogue it tends to be somewhat pathetic....
Paul Servini
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molière est vraiment un formidable observateur de l'humanité. Cette pièce n'est pas une exception. Molière met la main sur les prétentions insensées que nous connaissons tous. Mais pour M. Jourdain ces prétentions ne restent pas un simple rêve. Une délicieuse comédie, mais n'oublions pas: il y a un élément de M. Jourdain en chacun de nous.
Donna
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Michael
Shelves: plays
A wicked French farce. Note that in 17th century France you cannot be both "bourgeois" (a tradesman or shopkeeper) and a "gentleman" (landed gentry). The extremely wealthy title character is attempting to social climb his way into the upper class. The guy was just so clueless.

Read in Don Juan and Other Plays ISBN 978-0199540228.
Mateo R.
Intertextualidad

Menciones directas:
* De la ira (41 d.C.) de Lucio Anneo Séneca.
* Catonis Disticha (ca. s. III d.C.) de Dionisio Catón.
* Mención al escritor Décimo Junio Juvenal.

* Ambientes: Mansión.
* Figuras recurrentes: Estafador/a de viudas, filoaristócrata, nuevo/a rico/a, sirviente atrevido/a, snob.
* Bailes: Minué.
Bogdan
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatrum-mundi
This is one of the greatest comedies ever written. I believe it is still appliable into today society, even though it has been written long time ago, when the French middle-class started to pretend nobiliary origins and imitate the high-ranking society.
Rita
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Será que é normal eu ter passado o livro todo a sofrer de second hand embarrassment? De facto só numa comédia destas é que alguém pode ser assim tão tolinho!
Mas gostei muito, apesar de ter ficado a sentir-me muito mal pelo coitadinho do homem.
Kelly
Read in French in high school. Was our first piece of actual literature we got to read, so had both French and English translation to help me. I'm glad I did so I got to enjoy the jokes as well as learn the language. One of the best ones we read.
Daniel Adam Garwood
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Essentially, Monsieur Jordain – Le Bourgeois gentilhomme – is obsessed with the nobility. He throws his time and money at becoming a ‘person of quality’. A work of comedic genius, that I will read again.
Fadoua ϟ
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama, classics
Soooooo funny. I loved it !!!
Amalie
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could enjoy this in French!
Alex
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hilarious!!
Язык пьесы 1 3 Jan 09, 2016 08:19AM
  • Andromaque
  • The Marriage of Figaro (Le Nozze Di Figaro): Vocal Score
  • Le Cid
  • Le jeu de l'amour et du hasard
  • Knock ou le triomphe de la médecine
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • La Farce de Maître Pathelin
  • On ne badine pas avec l'amour
  • Le Barbier de Séville ou La Précaution Inutile
  • The Infernal Machine and Other Plays
  • Ruy Blas
  • Les Caractères
  • Le château de ma mère (Souvenirs d'enfance, #2)
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • Fables
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more
“« Par ma foi ! il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien, et je vous suis le plus obligé du monde de m'avoir appris cela. »” 1 likes
“Tout petit prince a des ambassadeurs, Tout marquis veut avoir des pages.” 0 likes