Start by marking “CYBERPUNK: MALAYSIA” as Want to Read:
CYBERPUNK: MALAYSIA

CYBERPUNK: MALAYSIA

Cyberpunk as you've never seen it before…
Science fiction is all about outrageous ideas. Nice
Malay girls breaking the rules. Censorship. Brain drain.
Moral policing. Migrant exploitation. All the stuff of fiction,
obviously.
But these 14 short stories take it one step further. The
nice Malay girls are cyborgs. The spambots are people. The
brains have drained into cyberspace, and
Paperback, 1st Edition, 330 pages
Published June 13th 2015 by FIXI Novo

To ask other readers questions about CYBERPUNK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CYBERPUNK

Start your review of CYBERPUNK: MALAYSIA
Fadzlishah Johanabas
Like many other Malaysian Science Fiction fans, I was excited by the very thought of this anthology, which is the first--to my knowledge--Malaysian English Science Fiction anthology.

I love the cover: plain foil that doubles as a murky mirror. Perhaps it's a nod to Mirrorshades, a Cyberpunk anthology published in 1986. The digital edition covers are pretty, too.

Sadly, that's about the only positive thing I can say about this anthology, other than a few amazing stories that I'll mention in a bit.
Chelsea Mcgill
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must admit that before picking up this book I hadn't read anything marketed as "cyberpunk." I requested this book because I wanted to read some Malaysian science fiction. From this collection, I got the feeling that "cyberpunk" isn't my favorite sub-genre of SFF. That being said, I did enjoy this collection of short stories set in Malaysia of the future (or alternative present?). A majority made me think, like good speculative fiction should.

There were two (related) things that made this colle
Anna Tan
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: malaysiana, my-books
I don't know if it's fair to rate a book that I have a story in, but well, I guess I'm rating all the stories in the book other than mine. =) Anyway, as much as I was hoping that I would fall desperately in love with Cyberpunk: Malaysia, I didn't. I liked it well enough. It's pretty decent. But it's not gripping. But as far as debut Malaysian Sci-Fi goes, it's a good offering. So that's 3.5 stars from me!

---

There is a quote (I think) which says something about writers reflecting the state of th
Firdaus Abu Bakar
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
i am not impressed with "hey-we-can-see-the-future" type of stories in this collection but if i am destined live long enough, it would be great to have a grab of DMZINE #13 (JANUARY 2115).
Peter Tillman
$4 ebook here: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/cybe...
Or here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
ebook not available from Amazon.

First story, "Underneath Her Tudung" by Angeline Woon is available free on the preview @ kobo. Unfortunately, in the two detailed reviews, neither reveiwer liked it....

Oh, good. Heres the editor's best: The First Witch of Damansara. 5 stars!
Anis Suhaila
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Cyberpunk was quite hard to finish as I'm not a fan of science-fiction/dystopian and there were just so many scientific terms (I know I should take the initiative to google).

But I really loved the short stories which still highlighted the human nature, the human stories rather than focusing too much on the science of it all.

My favourites were Sharmilla Ganesan's Personal for exaggerating the horror truth of our attachment to our devices and Ted Mahsun's What The Andromaid Reads at Night for sh
Margaret
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
The good (fun, humorous and experimental):

The Andromaid Reads At Night
Attack of the Spambots
Extracts from DMzine
The White Mask

I am trying to sound positive but the other stories are not great. Some are like knock offs of recent science fiction films (especially parts of Undercover In Tanah Firdaus which may be better as a movie, because it read like a screenplay written by a teenager in a few hours and then cramped into a short story). Stories like Kakak, Codes and Personal treat maid abuse, id
Fadillah
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, local, asia
Is it cyberpunk? Some of it are close enough. Is it engaging and thrilling? I'd say majority of the featured stories indeed good. I am surprised to see the low rating by some of few readers but based on their review, i get why they gave such rating. It really is the matter of individual's preferences. I picked up this book because i just finished watching Black Mirror Netflix series last month. I don't expect it to be amazing and mind boggling like the TV show but yeah, this book has a few momen ...more
Just A. Bean
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Overall I enjoyed this collection. I will admit that a lot of the geographical references went over my head, but the cultural and political issues were fairly well laid out over the book.

As with any collection, the content varied, and I didn't finish some stories usually due to being unrelentingly grim, but most had a balance between dystopia and fight against oppression. The themes of personhood, surveillance and state oppression were pretty strongly represented, but many of the stories were hu
Kara
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

Robots and AI's and cyborgs, oh my!

Sci-fi stories of all that can go wrong and right with computers set in Malaysia. Not all the stories were my cup of tea - some skewed heavily dystopian - but I loved seeing sci-fi from a different point of view.
Zara
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not going to lie... I wasn't expecting much but I was impressed by this bunch of stories. Always great to read speculative fiction set in a place I am familiar with, especially when it incorporates our very special culture.
Krayfish1
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The stories are all solid and set in interesting future Malaysias.
"Attack of the Spambots" -- about advertisers taking things too far -- stood out.
I liked the main characters and premise of "What the Andromaid Reads at Night" but the ending seemed abrupt.
"The Wall that Wasn't a Wall" is dark, as is "October 11"
Kam-Hung Soh
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Many of stories require some development (it's not interesting to read some scene setting and a conclusion). The more memorable stories question or satirise the conventions of Malaysian society, such as whether an android who self-identifies as a woman still needs to wear a tudung (head scarf) over her motile nano-tech hair and zombie humans spamming people with advertising.
Terri
I wondered while reading this whether cyberpunk can ever be hopeful? There was one optimistic story in this collection but otherwise it was all pretty grim. I guess it's the nature of the genre, but maybe it's time for cyberpunk which looks at the ways technology can enhance people's lives rather than plunging everyone into an immediate dystopia. There were some interesting ideas here, but also some stuff that felt dated and repetitive.
Grace
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
To b fair, Cyber is not a particular genre of interest- difficult to digest towards the end. Abstracts of a post modernistic Malaysia and creative- weird futuristic concepts somewhat made my eyelids heavy and mouth a perpetual "O" shape... Of course literary/ writing skills are pretty good... Just not enough to make it a mouth watering page turner. There r other better Fixi short story books one shelf I would happily reread. Not this one.
William Liang
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclaimer: I got featured in this collection

So while cyberpunk isn't really my thing, I did enjoy quite a few stories in the collection-my particular favourite was Foo Sek Han's 'Extracts from DMZine': funny, dystopian, tragic, irreverent while remaining poignant in a strange way. It was a pretty good read overall.
declis
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, books
The cover of the book is really pretty and special, I've never seen it before. I'm not sure about some short stories, most of them were strange and I didn't understand them. But 3 or 4 were really good. It's a nice collection of cyberpunk short stories, respect for the work.
Sammi Lim
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ipoh white coffee pills... Someday a possibility? I mean there's caffeinated peanut butter now.
Lesley
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
As with most short story collections, some worked (at least for me) better than others, but overall worth reading. (Maybe three and half.)
Dolorosa

• The Bengalis: A Portrait of a Community
  • Q & A
  • Goodnight Krampus
  • The Problem of Susan and Other Stories
  • Shuri: A Black Panther Novel (Marvel)
  • Heracles' Bow
  • Age of Bronze, Volume 1: A Thousand Ships (Age of Bronze, #1)
  • Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice
  • Krampus!
  • Women's Hats, Headdresses and Hairstyles: With 453 Illustrations, Medieval to Modern
  • Fortune's Child: A Novel of Empress Theodora
  • Merivel: A Man of His Time
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine
  • Burning Chrome (Sprawl, #0)
  • Rewire: Change Your Brain to Break Bad Habits, Overcome Addictions, Conquer Self-Destructive Behavior
I'm a Malaysian fantasy writer based in the UK. I've written a novel called Sorcerer to the Crown about magic, intrigue and politics in Regency London; a sequel about cursed sisters, anticolonial witches, dapper dragon dandies and murderous fairies called The True Queen; and a short story collection called Spirits Abroad. Plus some other stuff! I've won a British Fantasy Award for Best Newcomer, t ...more