Start by marking “Luck” as Want to Read:
Luck

Luck

Luck is the story of a nuclear family: father, mother, daughter and son. But all is not as it seems, for Mother is in love with Herr Herkenrath, and now father and son will have to leave home. Or will they?The mother sits in her room, squirting herself with perfume, waiting for her new man to arrive and her old one to go. Everyone makes their own luck in this life! she tel ...more
Published June 30th 2002 by New Directions Publishing Corporation (first published May 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luck

Start your review of Luck
Mariel
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the magic table
Recommended to Mariel by: we weren't eavesdropping
What if all goes well?
Then she can wash his socks, beginning Monday.
And his underpants? asked my sister.
Them as well, said Father, and laughed. He was being very malicious. And all the plates and spoons and coffeepots that we had always used, and that Mother would now use with Herr Herkenrath, I thought. But enough of that, said Father, I need to think! There, have another look out of the window, soon we won't be able to do that any more!

Father malingers to fate, looking for a sign that he is
João Reis
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um livro engraçadíssimo, e com traços de expressionismo alemão que o demarcam de outros livros do mesmo género. A irmã é uma personagem inesquecível. Se Hofmann se tivesse contido mais no vocabulário do narrador, o livro seria quase perfeito. É um grande livro, e o nível dos diálogos é difícil de ultrapassar.
D. Thompson
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having studied under Michael Hofmann he mentioned many things about his father's book that he has translated. In part the book tells a true story of his father and the little boy of course was Michael. A truly great read.
Kris McCracken
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
It really just didn't do it for me. The major characters failed to engender any kind of sympathy, and while the young narrator could have played this role, he seemed merely a cypher to the other (frustrating and annoying) people in his life.
Ryan
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars. The father is the most memorable of all--and perhaps the young girl--with such a generosity of spirit despite of all his glaring failures. Luck had me laughing aloud on more than one occasion. (Ryan O'Connor)
Emer Ni r
Mati Marwa
Jul 31, 2014
Steven Chang
Jan 15, 2015
Gert Hofmann (1931 – 1993) was a German writer and professor of German literature.

He was the father of poet Michael Hofmann, who translated some of his father's works into English.

News & Interviews