Start by marking “No One Noticed the Cat” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  2,076 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
The most successful woman writing fantasy today spins another magical tale destined to become a genre classic. Cat-fanciers and fantasy lovers alike will thrill to this enchanting tale. As a young prince comes of age, his faithful feline friend accompanies him on a spectacular journey filled with danger, wonder and magical intrigue.
hardcover, 95 pages
Published 1996 by The Wildside Press

To ask other readers questions about No One Noticed the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Noticed the Cat

Heather
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The key to appreciating this book is to imagine it is a bedtime story someone is making up on the fly for a child. By those standards, it is an excellent story. It was in the adult sci fi section at the library, but its length (124 half-size pages) and content would be perfectly suitable for any child with a decent attention span. The story's simplicity was especially obvious -- and not altogether unwelcome -- considering that I read this at the same time as A Game of Thrones, which seems to hav ...more
Carroll
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-i-read
By Anne McCaffrey

This is a pleasant, gentle Fantasy story that is suitable for third-graders but would be best suited to the fifth-grade class. Prince Jamas has just lost his friend and Regent, and is still just short of achieving his majority so that he can rule the country of Esphania. Fortunately for him, the recently departed Mangan had seen the need approaching, and had surrounded the Prince with trustworthy and discrete advisors and protectors, among them the cat Niff
Kerri
Apr 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was boring. And annoying. The characters fairly empty, the story too rushed along to its end to feel any connection anywhere. There could be a story of interest here, but it would need a Lot of fleshing out.
Mirjam
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
I love cats, fairy tales and Anne McCaffrey, so imagine my surprise when I discovered No One Noticed The Cat! I had never heard of this book before, but once I did I just had to get better acquainted. Unfortunately it is currently out of print, so it took some effort - and time- to get my hands on a copy, but I succeeded!

Young Prince Jamas was raised by the sensible, wise Regent Mangan after his somewhat irresponsible parents passed away. Will Jamas's 'wild blood' have out now that his wise, ol
Leila
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, fantasy
It could be that I'm getting too old--or too deep in my history of fiction read--to sufficiently appreciate standard fantasy. This story is a lovely little thing in its way, especially for cat persons. My sense of it, however, is that much of it has been done many times before. It is, after all, an example of what we lump into the category "fairy tales". The writing is deft enough, if not in any way inspired or inspiring. Never mind; that is a lot to expect of a fairy tale. There is enough color ...more
Peter Thomsen
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a book about Jamas; a prince who has just lost his regent, Mangan. He has to deal with the king of a neighboring kingdom, Egdril, and his ambitious wife, Yasmin, who trys to kill him once her daughter has married him. He knows that as soon as he marries the princes willow she will try to kill him but he still marries her. The cat on the cover is the main assistant that the dead regent left. The cat is the one who eventually kills the queen and is never seen while doing so. That is ...more
Luisa
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fairy tale that Anne McCaffrey wrote for her granddaughter, apparently, which I just found out and now makes total sense. It's a sweet, short book, with all the fairy tale points, with heroes, love at first sight and an evil stepmother. The cat is the cutest, most adorable and awesomest kickass part of the story, obviously. Because cats always are... Niffy, the cat, is super intelligente, and almost predicts the future to help out Jamas, her prince.
It's short, cute, sweet, and a fun st
Lynnda Ell
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Anne McCaffery's books for almost 40 years. Many of them are in my library. In my desire to improve my writing skills, I decided to read all of her books again, starting with No One Noticed the Cat.

The story is a fairy tale written for her granddaughter, Amelia. As in all fairy tales, it has exciting action, danger, and an evil queen. It has four deaths, two marriages, and characters who change and grow as the plot evolves. Characterization is one of Ms. McCaffery's most formidable wri
Cheryl Landmark
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, but sweet and fun, even though there were no dragons! :(

This was a cute children's fairy tale that can be enjoyed by adults as well. Even though I much prefer dogs over cats, Niffy charmed me with her intelligence, cleverness and fierce loyalty to Prince Jamas.

The plot was uncomplicated and somewhat predictable and the book was perhaps a little too short for in-depth world building and characterization, but it still enthralled me. It was filled with political intrigue, royal court shenani
June
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans and cat fantasy requests
Shelves: cat, fantasy
Probably a 3.5, but I expect more of McCaffrey, though her shorter novelettes might not allow the character development needed. A sweet story about a cat that befriends a new young ruler and helps him avoid war and get rid of the evil queen in a neighboring kingdom.
Shaunesay
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, fun story about a cat who might be just a little bit more helping to keep her kingdom safe from the intrigues of a nearby evil queen. Perfect length for a read-a-thon!
Crystal Starr Light
My dad liked Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series way back when. After getting bit by the fantasy bug, I inherited his interest in this author. I figured that this book might be a good introduction before tackling the famous series--plus the story sounded interesting.

Plot:
Esphania's regent has died and apparently left much of his skills to his cat, Niffy. This is good because Niffy will need everything she can to protect Prince Jamas and his new wife, Princess Willow of Mauritia, from be
Amber
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not as surprised as other reviewers that this book was intended for a younger audience, as the dedication page makes it clear Ms. McCaffrey wanted it to be special to her grand-daughter. On the other hand, I think the vocabulary and a few adult-centered topics make this a middle school level read. I enjoyed the layering of the plot, the simple natures of the characters (this isn't a weighty tome of world building, character development, or the like), and the opportunity to introduce themes ...more
Kristen Coffin
"A cat has the wisdom to remain independent of humans and is always able to provide for itself, whereas dogs are dependent on constant care. A cat allows a human to be a friend if we have proved worthy of such an accolade. Yet it is faithful and recognizes that there are times when we poor humans are in need of the companionship only a cat can provide."

Short, easy-to-read. Would only recommend for children. I found it boring basic.
Evelynn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was clever and cute. Some of the names were hard to pronounce or figure out and didn't flow very well. The plot was not too predictable although it is a young adult/ children's book so it is forgivable. I didn't feel like I knew the ages of the characters very well and while the characters could have been developed more, I felt they were adequate for the story.
Cynthia Egbert
This pretty little book grabbed my eye as a gift for a cat lover friend when I saw it in one of my favourite used book shops. I do admit to reading it before I gave it as a gift, I couldn't resist. It was a sweet story that most any cat lover can appreciate. And non cat lovers as well! If you want a nice and quick fantasy read, this hits the spot.
Hanlie Wessels
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick little read. Only 176 pages. The dedication is to her grand-daughter "who can read this for her own self". It reads a lot like a fairy tail. The vocabulary is fairly advanced, and a lot is left to the reader's imagination.

I really liked it. Fast, cute, fun little trip to a kingdom far away.
R.E.D Richardson
A decent story, but I would have liked Jamas more involved in the big finish. I guess maybe he's not supposed to be the protagonist? He *seemed* like the protagonist.
Also, another example of Anne McCaffrey's love of animal characters. She does them very well.
Gita
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and fun!
Eric
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ok-for-kids
Short but very cute book.
Kathleen Dixon
This is a nice little story, almost a fairy tale with its style and small magical aspect and the setting of a kingdom and a young king, etc. A very pleasant read.
Sheri
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a quick read. A weak 3 stars.
Mandy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cute. A quick read, and I love McAffrey's writing, but it's definitely not something I'd ever specifically recommend to someone, maybe a young child.
Stacy Luebke
Any kid who loves cats should read this book. Game of Thrones could be happy if only the Right magnificent cat was there to save the day. Simple, fast, and not worthy of McCaffrey’s other work.
Aran
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a charming little book! Cats!
Jamie
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stacy
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Sci-Fi in I don't know how long, and probably haven't read Anne McCaffrey since high school. I thought the Sci-Fi in this novel was very mild, although I'll never understand why authors of this genre are encouraged to go on for paragraphs describing mythical things that exist only in their book, on and on...

I would classify this as a novella, I read it in a day and didn't break a sweat. The time frame and scope of the novel are fairly limited. We're just supposed to step into the
Heather S
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet little book. It's told fairly simply, and yet with no space for big sweeping description, the Queen of fantasy builds a world that is easy to imagine myself inside. it makes me want more, just so I can hang out in that world a little longer.

Niffy the cat is a lovely character, and all the women involved have actual characters and personality.

The only issue I have with it is the interesting editing and formatting choices. there are chapters, but they aren't numbered, and the last
Erin
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
A quick little fairy tale full of intrigue, weddings, murders...and a very clever cat who saves her prince from certain death.

Now that Prince Jamas has come of age and can assume the rule of Esphania, his Regent feels his work is done. Wise Mangan dies knowing he trained Jamas to be a fair and wise ruler, but just in case, he left a failsafe: his beloved cat Niffy. Now the King of Mauritia and his ambitious Queen have set their sights on Esphania, and Jamas must maneuver his way out of falling
2015 Reading Chal...: No One Noticed the Cat by Anne McCaffrey 5 20 Jun 21, 2015 05:31AM
  • The River's Gift
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Jerlayne
  • The Valdemar Companion
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Changelings (The Twins of Petaybee, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)