Start by marking “What Will People Say?” as Want to Read:
What Will People Say?

What Will People Say?

Rehana Rossouw’s unique voice gives life and drama to this family saga.
Hanover Park. The heart of the Cape Flats. It is 1986. Michael Jackson and Brenda Fassie rule every hi-fi. Princess Di and George Michael hairstyles are all the rage. There are plans to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the 1976 student uprising.
Neville and Magda Fourie live in Magnolia Court
Published April 1st 2015 by Jacana Media (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about What Will People Say?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Will People Say?

Lorraine
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rehana Rossouw truly deserved her NIHSSAwards2017 fiction category.

For the first time in my reading life I got to hear, see, taste, smell another perspective of the "Coloured" story. Something real, not a parody of lives of people we've always tucked away into minute stereotypical boxes.

I will not put a full review now. Do not want to spoil it for my book clubbers. We are spending an afternoon with Rehana Rossouw on 08 April.

Yes, we lucky fish!

Grab
Jocelyn Newmarch
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book on the last day of 2016, and couldn’t bring myself to start another book for the next couple of days. Rehana’s novel cloaks its tragedy with humour and vivid patois. I so much loved its use of Cape Flats dialect, its often vulgar humour, and its portrait of parents desperately trying to bring up their children “decently”. But this is Hanover Park in 1986. There is little decency to be found with residents caught between gangsterism and the apartheid security structures.
Christine
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-book
I enjoyed this book, it was an interesting read, well paced, good characters, and rather sad. I'm not sure how an international audience would handle the colloquialisms without a glossary but fortunately I'm local.
Tiah
Feb 25, 2016 added it
My interview with the author: http://bit.ly/2aty5lq

- Her childhood was ending and it was time to learn to be a woman. The lessons started with Mummy teaching her to iron shirts. –

- He still wasn't sure what they could do against gangsters, the cockroaches that crawled out of the walls after the kitchen lights went off. The watch members' torches cast a light on their activities, but it was dim. –

- He understood now why people got gerook. It made a boring life seem interesting for a w
C.M. Okonkwo
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the book. When I got it, I sighed because of the size, but when I got into it, I took it down in a day... and a busy day, in which I had a lot to do. It’s a bitter-sweet book and that’s the reason why I couldn’t put it down.

The book is set in the mid-1980s in Cape Flat, an area facing political difficulties, and the story centres on the members of a family, the Fourie family and its personal struggles.

The parents Neville and Magda seemed to be a happy co
Tania Kliphuis
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This story of the Fourie family, living in the Hanover Park in Cape Town, is devastating, gritty and authentic. It's peppered with Cape Flats slang, which I really enjoyed. I don't often read books that really capture a segment of the South African population, and Rossouw does it beautifully.

The events that unravel the Fourie's family life are horribly sad. Unfortunately, this is the reality facing so many families in South Africa even today, even though What Will People Say is set in t
David Bickerton
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by Rehana Rossouw. In many ways a standard family drama about parenting and kids dealing with their lives as they grow through adolescence. It just happens to be set in the Cape Flats towards the end of apartheid. It deals with gangs, the political struggles, wanting a better life, tragedy, drama and hope.

It's told in the third person but deals with each of the five members separately to get their different viewpoints about themselves and the family. It takes a
Marion Roux
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Glad I read this - was very doubtful that I would persevere as the first few chapters are filled with foul words (only South Africans would understand most of it), but the story became very gripping as it described a Hanover Park that we hear about all the time, even today. The gangs are truly out of control and the effect on families is so sad. It does highlight how some people can rise above that lifestyle, but at what cost to their families and themselves
Graham Maart
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome writing and a fantastic novel but it is more than a novel because it is real life experiences if you come from the Cape Flats. If you from the Cape Flats you can really relate to what this family went through as the book subscribed.
Emmanuel Mandela
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very compelling story. A typical family setting with myriad of lessons to learn.
Lynn
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent read about life on the Cape Flats and how families are affected by poverty and gangsterism. Will really tug at your heart-strings.
Bulie