Start by marking “Jefferson Blythe, Esquire” as Want to Read:
Jefferson Blythe, Esquire

Jefferson Blythe, Esquire

In this fast, fun and dead-sexy male/male new-adult caper from multi-award-winning author Josh Lanyon, twentysomething Jefferson Blythe gets lost, gets found, falls in love and comes out...all in the span of one wild summer

After his first relationship goes disastrously awry, Jeff Blythe uses his savings to tour Europe—the old-fashioned way. Armed with his grandfather's 196
Published November 16th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Jefferson Blythe, Esquire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jefferson Blythe, Esquire

Start your review of Jefferson Blythe, Esquire
Baba
3 stars. Full review posted November 15, 2015.

photo oie_kccQODDsxQqn_zps6pzo6la0.png

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
by Lao Tzu

After his fiancée, Amy, broke up their engagement, Jefferson took the money he saved to buy their wedding rings and heads off to Europe for a two-week adventure to discover London, Paris and Rome. Once arrived though, he has a strange encounter with an even stranger woman at London Heathrow Airport. As it turns out, she's a definite nutcase and problems are pre-programmed. Plus,
LenaRibka

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

(Lao-Tzu)

I think, I've just read my favorite book by Josh Lanyon.
Read LITERALLY in one sitting. LOVE EVERYTHING here.

I'm not a big fan of long and detailed blurbs. Maybe it is the reason, why I seldom read them and it is enough for me just to know the genre. But this blurb...*sigh*. Take one minute of your time and just read it:

Jefferson Blythe, Esquire is about old maps, new adventures, getting lost, getting found, g
Natasha
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Jefferson Blythe, personality-lacker

2.5 stars.

Spoilers.

I thought this book was… okay. I’m not sure if I’m being harder on it because Lanyon is my favorite author, or if I’m going easier on it because Lanyon is my favorite author.

Let’s start from the beginning.

The first thing that annoyed me was the weird-ass text-lingo used as legitimate narrative. Don’t. Just don’t, okay? No one actually says, “Oh-em-gee” out loud unless they’re a 13 year old idiot.
So, this book is QUOTE-UNQUOTE “New Adult”. Un
Ingie
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written November 30, 2015

4 Stars - A full speed hilarious adventurous Europe tour. - Solid good JL writing as always

The fresh and newly published book from the M/M author Josh Lanyon I most often pick my reads from. I've been reading this one (BR chat) with a bunch of girls - living in Europe: Sofia, Therese, Maya and in the end also Irina. I felt this should end up as a fun and very adventurous reading and it did.

“This is a surprise”

Yes truly, Jefferson Blythe, Esquire i
Susan
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

This unassuming book snuck right up and stole my heart.

For some, it will be just a fun, new adult, travel mystery with a romantic bend. But, for me it checked all the boxes that made me throw my fist in the air and say “YES! Go Lanyon go!”

First off, it’s NEW ADULT…and it’s Josh Lanyon…writing…NEW ADULT. Lanyon, who I love with all her older, more mature, often “damaged”, rarely perfect characters…writing young, fresh-faced, figuring-shit-out, uncertain, new-love characters. And, in my o
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Please, please don't let me read anymore Josh Lanyon, for all our sakes. At least no more after I finish the ones that I've already bought because I clearly have a shopping addiction...

I hate to keep reading and reading an author that doesn't work for me, and though I've had some very high highs with Josh Lanyon (aka, Fatal Shadows and the whole Adrien English series), I've also not been able to grasp the fever that surrounds JL books.

I think it is because mysteries aren't really my thing. I d
Ami
2.55 stars rounded up

I love Josh Lanyon (+1). I love road trip romance theme (+1). But new adult contemporary is not my favorite genre of mine (-1). Having said that, considering that this is Lanyon and the promise of the blurb "From Paris to Rome and back again, Jeff and George fall for each other, hard, while quite literally running for their lives" are enough to make me curious to read this. I figure I can try to set aside my feeling of new adult stories (that sometimes I feel too old to enjo
Adam
Well, that was disappointing.

description

Jeff Blythe has a lot to figure out. He doesn't know what to do now that he's done with college, and he's struggling with his sexuality. A trip to Europe might be the break he needs. While there, he's also planning on getting in touch with an old friend, George Sorocco. Growing up, Jeff idolized George, until George came out and Jeff couldn't look at him the same way. Jeff's plans to explore and reconnect are interrupted by a series of criminals who think that he has
Lila
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm, favorite-authors, meh, na

The gist of it.

It took me ages to finish this book, which is new for me when it comes to Lanyon. Despite my efforts to get emotionally engaged in these characters it simply didn't happen. I find myself eagerly leaving it for something else to amuse myself: Fallout 4, One Punch Man and at one point even to contemplate on the return of Superman's beard.. -_-

Lanyon is one of my favorites, but it seems her books work for me when she's channeling Raymond Chandler- when between action and few laughs,
Sofia
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it

Sometimes when I'm reading a Lanyon novel there are 'older' characters which had some kind of history when they were 'younger' and then they meet once again and the story continues. Jefferson's story felt like I'm reading the 'younger' story (although even the 'younger' had a still younger episode which is only told about).

I liked it because the characters still need to grow, still are confused, still have mistakes to make, although when do we ever stop making those. Jefferson's mix of denial,
Elspeth
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it

description

This book was a total fail for me. I disliked Jefferson greatly, the romance was lackluster, and felt contrived. I got sick of Jefferson being too stupid to live, and the thing that bothered me the most...how the fuck did he afford all this. I mean yeah he says that it's from the ring he was saving up to buy...but damn man...I just don't see him making that much from part time jobs while attending college.

SMH
Richard Derus
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF Chapter 1

Very much not for me. New adult = YA with pubic hair but it's still not appealing to my taste.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Jefferson Blythe decides that it is time to follow in the footsteps of his grandfather and see Europe. He has it all planned out with the help of a travel guide belonging to his grandfather and he hopes for adventure and a time to recover from the break up of a relationship.

And he gets all this and more.

This holiday is an opportunity for him to find himself and think through his future. What he finds is definitely adventure, but also bumbling but dangerous criminals, a friend from his p
Maya
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok

I didn’t like this book but to be fair I’ve never really been into mysteries with comedy elements.

But it was Jefferson’s character journey that was the weakest part of the book for me. I thought his voice wasn’t convincing and believable. It varied between too immature and too mature in the different situations. I did sympathize with his internal struggle but I needed more backstory to understand him better.

George – although intriguing in the beginning – ended up to be a character without depth
Xing
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

I kind of wished I read this book a few years ago.

Jefferson Blythe, Esquire is a book with flaws, yet pulls through as a fun read about adventures and self-discovery. And because I'm a sucker for a good book cover, I have to say that this particular cover captured the essence of all this.

First off, I enjoy most of Lanyon's books. However, I feel her biggest flaw is writing young characters that feel real. I really enjoy Jeff's journey of maturation and self-acc
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 3
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 4

LEAST FAVOURITE LANYON – SORRY

As much as I LOVE EVERYTHING LANYON (Go see my reading list, most read author at the moment) this one unfortunately didn’t work for me.

Believe me, it pains me to say this

Reasons for my feelings:

I didn’t feel any connection between the two MC’s (What little there was felt juvenile. Especially from Jefferson’s side.

There was almost NO together time that made me invest in them as a couple

The “mystery” and “action” f
Alisa
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fast paced new book from author Josh Lanyon. This story has some classic Lanyon elements with a new twist. Jefferson is just out of college and adrift in his life. His girlfriend has just broken off their engagment and he's due to start working a job he has no interest in. In an effort to figure out some things about himself he heads to Europe for a vacation. Immediately after arriving he finds himself mixed up in a criminal plot and sees an old friend for the first time in ...more
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

3.5 This is so Josh stars

So Jefferson Blythe, such an easy read really. And truly it is very much a JL Book.

Did I view it as a NA contemporary? No I didn’t really.

It was definitely not heavy on the romance.

It reminded me a bit of Jake & Adrien…..

Or Adrien as a young man.

I find JL’s writing to be so poetic. It flows so well, and makes you feel so many things all at once. To me it is heart wrenching, her words, which is why I find I love to read her. I can re read her books and fall in love over a
Daniela Green
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the second Lanyon book that I rate under 3 stars. Indeed, my rate for this book is 2.5 stars.
What happened to you, Ms Lanyon? Are you the same person who wrote the Adrien English or the Holmes and Moriarity series? The same person who wrote books like Stranger on the Shore or Snowball in Hell?
IMHO, there was same kind of regression, here.
The writing was quite good, but I found no interest at all in the two MCs characters, and in the whole plot.
Ok, usually I don't like YA or NA or whateve
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
~ ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review ~

This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.

The short version of my thoughts about this book would be: mixed feelings. This type of reads are probably the hardest to review for me, because I can't say neither I liked it nor I hated it and to be honest I'm really lacking any inspiraton right now and two of my most expected reads of 2016 are waiting for me on my shelf, so I'll keep it short.

I read and enjoyed Lanyon's Dangerous Ground Ser
Mtsnow13
When I saw the newest Josh Lanyon book in NetGalley, I could not pass it up! And I'm so glad I didn't. Fantastic story. And interesting tidbit.. I didn't realize Bill Clinton was born as William Jefferson Blythe III. Probably not anything to do with the story, but somewhere else I saw this somewhat old-fashioned, yet interesting name :-)

Okay. So. Just a heads up. This was a book I had to read ALL in one sitting. I was up til 3 a.m. Thank you very much dear author!! This story had me by the seat
Sara
That’s the way it is with a trip to Europe. Or should be, anyhow. It’s a tremendously stimulating, exhilarating experience, but it’s also demanding. You’ve got to be up for it. You’ve got to be alert, keen, tuned in, ready. You’ve got to want it more than anything else you could possibly do right now. If not, all the excitement will just be that much irritation, and the fun will curdle and turn flat and sour to your taste.

You took the words right outta my mouth!

I am going to be tota
CrabbyPatty
Well, I liked that .... a lot. The whole story had this retro feel - a 21-yr-old taking his grandfather's 1960 Esquire guide to Europe and exploring Claridges, Harry's Bar, etc.

Meeting his boyhood friend George who may or may not be a spy. A mystery full of red herrings, bizarre situations and just fraught with missed chances, lost love, first love.
Therese
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since I love YA/NA, this was a very enjoyable read for me. Usually, I’m not too fond of mystery/crime, so I haven’t read too many of Lanyon’s books.
This one really had a great division of romance/mystery/and YA. It was about finding yourself and accepting who this person is, it was about learning how to do things on your own. And of course it was about about finding love….

The mystery parts (view spoiler) kept me on my toes all
Kathleen
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: na
I have NEVER A rated a Lanyon story two stars. But this one was so disappointing for me. NA is not her forte. The story felt awkward and forced. And was simply uninteresting. This will the last auto-buy for me. I'll be waiting for the reviews next time.
Tami
Such a disappointment. And from one of my favourite authors. Reasons why I didn't like this book:

1. Jefferson Blythe.

Jefferson sounds like approximately 13 years old. His fear and helplessness with travelling to an "exotic" country like England is somewhat staggering. And mind you, they do speak the same language there.

When I was 19 I travelled with three friends to California. Backpacking. On a foreign continent, where no one spoke German. Guess what, we made do. Without much stress and dram
Neil Plakcy
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of Lanyon's books by far. Jeff is a fairly shallow character, and while there's an intriguing personal story there, it's buried under layers of lack of self-awareness and a lack of knowledge of the world at large.
Katie
Huh.

I’m a fan of Josh Lanyon. I can’t call myself an expert as I haven’t yet worked my way through the extensive backlist of titles. But, what I’ve read has been pretty great so far.

I thought I had a pretty good grip on the author’s style of tight, well-constructed plots, well-paced, subtle humor, and just the right amount of emotion.

Not to say that this story didn’t have elements of these, but…it kind of felt like an erratic mess, to be honest.

I was excited about the premise of this book—mainly
Martin
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lanyon never disappoints me and this little gem is another great read that entertained me wonderfully.

Jefferson Blythe is a young man from Washington who is following in his grandfather's footsteps and sets out to discover Europe on his own, widening his horizon with the aid of a travel guide from the 1960s that his grandfather also used on his journey. His arrival in London, UK, turns out to be less pleasant than anticipated when a strange girl seems to mistake him for someone else and follows
Joy (joyous reads)
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
It’s been a while since I’ve read a book by Josh Lanyon. If you must know, she’s one of those authors whom I trust when it comes to M/M romances. I don’t read too many of them nowadays, but I wanted to read some this month as my contribution to Queer Romance Month. Loving her work is almost as instinctual as loving Sandra Brown’s. I had a great time reading this book!

JEFFERSON AROUND THE WORLD

Jefferson Blythe decided to find himself after a recent break up from his fiance. Armed with an Esquire
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jefferson Blythe, Esq - BR 27th Nov 15 - Ingela, Therese, Rosa, Maya, Sofia 71 15 Nov 30, 2015 01:54PM

• The Secret (Love in O'Leary #3)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • Footsteps in the Dark
  • The Gift (Love in O'Leary, #2)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • How to Walk like a Man (Howl at the Moon, #2)
  • Badlands (Badlands, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Curiosities (Snow & Winter, #2)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • A Light in the Darkness (In Darkness #2)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • How to Howl at the Moon (Howl at the Moon, #1)
  • The Fall (Love in O'Leary #1)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f