Start by marking “The Importance of Being 3” as Want to Read:
The Importance of Being 3

The Importance of Being 3

The perfect present for three-year-olds, this picture book is a celebration of all things three!

All the best things come in threes, not one, not two, but three, like the three-year-olds in this sweet picture book. As all parents know, three is a big year. Follow along as three friends learn new things in threes—from tricycles to triangles—take a dip in the pool, and play
Published February 16th 2016 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Importance of Being 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Importance of Being 3

Start your review of The Importance of Being 3
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Technically this book would be the best for a 3 year old as this story is all about the number 3 and what is so awesome about it (including being 3 yourself). However, don't let that stop you from reading this story to kids of other ages. It covers a lot of different things that deal with the number 3. A great lesson told in a super fun way if you ask me.

The pictures are fun to look at too, which doesn't hurt at all either!

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for
Erika Bowen
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
Great book for three-year-olds. This book celebrates everything three. It shows how all the best things come in threes like the three-year-olds.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
Grades: Headstart-PreK
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
Inclusion, Uniqueness
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading

Students who are having trouble coping with being “too small” or “too young.” Students who feel like they may be “invisible.”
5. Small group use
April Helms
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am using this book for the "read a book that is less than 100 pages" criteria for the Book Riot challenge. This is a cute picture book, good for a parent to read to a preschooler (as the title suggests) Readers follow a trio of youngsters as they go about their day, counting the number of threes they spy. They draw triangles, count groups of three objects like pigs and kittens and even have some typical preschooler moments such as trying to learn to share. There are a couple of things ...more
Kelly
This is a good book for a child turning 3.
Miss Sarah
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A little girl goes through her day praising the number 3 and pointing out all the ways it plays into her day. Moves fast. Toddlers and up.
Jill
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author is also the illustrator of this charming book for three year olds. It is clear the author has children of her own, because she has a great understanding of what would appeal to this age level. When she begins with “Not 1 or 2 but 3 like me!” can’t you just hear a three-year-old insisting the same?

The little girl in the book learns to share (sort of) and learns her shapes and colors, plays in the park, has ice cream, and has a melt down:

“I throw a fit.
Some days are rough.
I cry and
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

The Importance of Being Three (ISBN: 9780525428695), while primarily a celebration of all the things three-year-olds can do, is also a great lesson on understanding the number three, and being able to count to three. I did read the book to Miss Muffet, and she did ask a ton of questions about the pictures, but she also seemed to know that she was not yet three and therefore maybe not quite ready to relate to everything the kids in the
Sheri
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A story about threes, the children, the number, stories, activities done in threes when you are three years old. Lots of three year old fun and challenges and emotions. Celebrates the three year old and cute book to read aloud to a three year old. The illustrations and text are fun for the reader and the listener to see. And the emotions of a three year old are well illustrated here. Try reading it with a three year old and having him/her spot the word or number 3 on each page.
Samantha
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While this books is about the importance of being three and would be an excellent 3rd birthday gift, it's a fun read for all ages. We have had this book for 2 days now and have read it over 10 times. It's an easy read and the text flows. My five-year old and I take turns reading pages and words. The illustrations bring the words to life and help capture the life of a three year old.
Lynn
I want to share this with my 3 year-old grandson who is struggling with being three!

The color illustrations have enough detail to explore and help support the text.
I do have concern with the page "I'm writing letters." I don't think most 3 year-olds are writing letters as shown. The other activities are common to this age.
Rachel Watkins
Besides the delightful task of counting items of three on every single page of this book, you'll adore reading THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING 3 with the closest three-year-old you can find. Easy rhyming and adorable illustrations show all the many things three-year-olds love to do including the infamous "total meltdown." Fabulous!
Vonnie
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this to my daughter at 4.5. I don't know if she would have gotten it at 3...maybe parts but I'd like to write one about being 4!
Joan Marie
The perfect book for three-year-olds who are no longer babies or toddlers, but big threes!
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightful rhyming
Cute illustrations
Love how author defines and points out "3"
Paula
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Follows three friends throughout their day and explores the delights and challenges of being three years old.
PWRL
Aug 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-new
SM
Angie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A great birthday gift for a 3 year old. I may try it at my two year old story time.
Robin
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Looks gifty, but surprisingly good. Great pick for 3 y.o.s.
Xochitl
Feb 16, 2016
Ed
Apr 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • The Gruffalo
  • The Paper Bag Princess
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Grumpy Pants
  • Spooky Sleep-out! (Sesame Street)
  • Olivia Measures Up
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Little Excavator
  • There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • Shivery Shades of Halloween
  • Otis and the Kittens
  • Be Kind
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree
  • Return
Lindsay Ward has a BFA in Illustration from Syracuse University.Her most recent books include It’s Show and Tell, Dexter! and Don’t Forget Dexter!, books 1 and 2 in the Dexter T. Rexter Series with Two Lions. She is also the author and illustrator of Brobarians (Two Lions, 2017), The Importance of Being 3 (Dial 2016), Rosco vs. the Baby (S&S, 2016), Henry Finds His Word (Dial, 2015), a Choose ...more