Start by marking “Dylan the Villain” as Want to Read:
Dylan the Villain

Dylan the Villain

A surprising and laugh-out-loud showdown between two pint-sized super-villains.

Dylan's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Snivels, have always told him that he is the very best and cleverest super-villain in the whole wide world. And Dylan's confident that it's true--until he starts school and meets Addison Van Malice. Sure, Dylan's costume is scary. But Addison Van Malice's is
Published March 8th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dylan the Villain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dylan the Villain

Start your review of Dylan the Villain
Hannah
My first thought when reading this was, 'kids who loved The Incredibles will LOVE this!' Super-cute twist on the superhero theme that will have readers giggling over all the evil details.
Abigail
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children Who Enjoy Humorous Stories With a Twist
Shelves: picture-books, robots
Dylan Snivels, AKA Dylan the Villain, was a young super-villain in the making. His admiring parents had always assured him that his super-villain costume was the scariest, his super-villain laugh was the craziest, and his super-villain inventions were the most villainous. And so he proceeded, convinced that he was the best little super-villain in the world, until he was enrolled at Astrid Rancid's Academy for the Villainous and Vile and met Addison Van Malice, who seemed to outperform him in all ...more
Jacqueline J
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
This was well received at story time today. Kind of a bigger hit with the parents than the kids. My story timers are in the 3 year old range and this would probably play better with 4 or 5 year olds. Still I liked it. The story was cute and the idea that you can be born a cartoon super villain was fun. And that it's pretty normal. I loved how his parents were bewildered by him but loved him anyway which is a good message.
Melody
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-ya
This little boy goes to villain school and he is out villained by a girl with blue hair.
Beth
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kids will love the humor in this one.
Mary
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A very funny picture book about a baby super-villain. Dylan's parents are baffled by him but are still delighted by his antics. Things change for Dylan when he attends Astrid Rancid's Academy for the Villainous & Vile and meets the formidable Addison Van Malice. The text and illustrations are hilarious. The only reservation about this story is the ending which includes the villainous use of a food allergy. Young readers who have food allergies would probably find the ending disturbing. Aside ...more
Kifflie
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mr. and Mrs. Snivels are convinced that their son Dylan is the best and most clever super-villain there is. But when Dylan goes off to school, he discovers competition in the person of Addison Van Malice. Addison's villainy seems superior to Dylan's; she even builds a better evil robot than he does.

Dylan manages to turn the tables on her. Or does he? I love the ending.

Cute and funny.
Lisa D
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This book will be a huge hit! It reminded me of the incredibles! So cute!!
Danielle
Jul 06, 2016 added it
Opening line:
Bahahaha.
Sara Grochowski
Loved the humor and illustrations in this one.
Laura Harrison
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
So much fun. Love it!
John
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because Dylan the Villain builds a super duper robot, but then (spoiler alert) something's better than his robot. A gigantic black robot (who could still fit in the school) with red in front and black on top, and a shrink ray. Dylan the villain presses a button and it goes away into space and breaks the ceiling. And then the person who built the very big robot put a little bit of the thing he was allergic to on the trophy, and it had a bat on top, instead of a cup. If you're a ...more
Tim Johnson
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a little boy who can't stand being second in his super-villain school.

Wait, there's a super-villain school? How did I not know about this? I could easily come up with a robot that is more diabolical than anything anywhere! It would run inefficiently on fossil fuels and steal from the poor and give to the rich and mix Skittles and M&Ms in the same bowl to serve at parties and release Game of Thrones spoilers before the newest episode is over. And then it would become
Rebecca Sharp
I love Lester's Dreadful Sweaters and K.G. Campbell's work in particular, so I had high hopes for this one. The beginning had me hooked. "Mr. and Mrs. Snivels were minding their own business, when they happened to have a baby." caught my attention. The premise is great, but the end is lackluster. I found myself wondering "That's it?" after finishing it and I think the kids I would read it out loud to would feel the same. Sounds like there might be a sequel.
Brittany
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
When a book starts out with a first line like this, I simply cannot like it. "Mr. and Mrs. Snivels were minding their own business, when they happened to have a baby." (Insert illustration with a confused looking man and wife staring at a baby).....I just can't! Geez-Louise!
I only gave it a two-star for the illustrations.
Keeko
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was recommended to me by a wonderful 4-year-old. It's a favorite of his, and now it's one of mine. I've never read a children's book like it. There's a subtlety that made me think, "a pint-size Bond villain."

It's great fun, and I hope very much that the author writes a series because I would love to read more. Thanks to the author and all who worked on this. A true good read!
Courtney
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
I can honestly say that I did not enjoy this short-story and I did not enjoy reading it to my children. This story was all about how a child was born into a normal family, but they knew from the moment he was born that he was going to be evil! Who writes a story like that?
Kenson and kirra
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the robots in this book. Mommy note: this book contains a compitition of sorts between the main character and another girl in his class. my five year old is super non competitive. he didn't really understand it.
Katie
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a must read for those kiddos who love books with superheroes in them! And the ending leads us to believe there will be a continuation of this story.
Nella Garcia Urban
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My son LOVED this book. It would make a terrific read aloud option.
Clarissa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a hilarious book! Dylan is the most awesome super villain in his class except for one person...
Bethany
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prep for this summer's Reading Buddies

Fun book!
Miranda Paris
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Excellent read aloud for the older crowd (Grade 3 and up); students will love the vocabulary.
Vita Lane
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A great twist on the super-hero theme.
Margaux
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Mustache Baby, you'll love this one.
Heather Utley
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A book about the girl character who bests him would make a better book.
Tiffanie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
loved the illustrations
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Quirky humor which might be lost on a lot of kids. Not sure about the ending.
Darinda
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dylan is a super villain. He thinks he is a pretty great villain, until he goes to school and it out-villained.

A fun and silly story about super villains. Loved the artwork.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Will Not Eat You
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
  • It Came in the Mail
  • The William Hoy Story: How a Deaf Baseball Player Changed the Game
  • Dad and the Dinosaur
  • Ocean Animals from Head to Tail
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
K. G. Campbell is the author-illustrator of Lester’s Dreadful Sweaters. He was born in Kenya, raised in Scotland, and now lives in southern California.