Start by marking “The Reburialists” as Want to Read:

The Reburialists

The author of Wish Bound and the Grimm Agency novels returns with an all-new urban fantasy novel!

Burying the dead is easy.  Keeping them down is difficult.

At the Bureau of Special Investigations, agents encounter all sorts of paranormal evils. So for Agent Brynner Carson, driving a stake through a rampaging three-week-old corpse is par for the course. Except this cada
Published March 1st 2016 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Reburialists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reburialists

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm going to keep this one short and simple. A couple years ago, I tried to read the first installment of Nelson's GRIMM AGENCY series, Free Agent . It did not go well:

"She didn't look like a princess. She looked like a college intern for a radio station. Five foot three, strawberry blonde, and a complexion that could sure as hell use work. Plus she was packing the freshman five on her hips, along with the sophomore seven on her thighs and, well, you get the idea."

My b
All Things Urban Fantasy
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-kim
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

I didn't know I needed a fabulous Egyptian-inspired zombie killing novel in my life, but now that I have devoured THE REBURIALISTS, I will be recommending it to everyone at the top of my lungs. It's equal parts clever and exciting, with a dash of horror and a fun love story.

The world is complicated enough without having to cut the tendons of your dead relatives and get their mouths sewn shut in case a Re-Animus decides to take it for a ride after you b
Meigan
If I wasn't already a fan of author J.C. Nelson, this novel would have made sure that I was. With The Reburialists, Nelson delivered a fast-paced and exciting tale centering around zombies and Egyptian mythology, with a little dash of romance to balance out all of the action.

Told from alternating points of view of Brynner and Grace, each character initially plays a role that wouldn't have otherwise brought them together. When an odd rash of meat-skins start appearing, diverging from their regul
Melliane
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I knew the author by his Grimm Agency series mixing fairy tales and urban fantasy which is also very pleasant to read, but he is back today with a new genre. Indeed, The Ruburialists is much different regarding the format. Unlike the previous series, the story is divided from the perspective of two characters: Grace, an analyst and Brynner a hunter. It was interesting to have such a share especially when we understand that the two characters are very differen
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

My impression about The Reburialists was totally wrong. I was thinking it was fantasy and the world building would be overwhelming and heavy with details; it would be grim and dark. Not so much. It is urban fantasy and was easy to read. I happily read along, learning the characters and following the plot.

This book was ok. That's wh
Fiona Skye
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, urban-fantasy
I am still uncertain how I feel about this book exactly. It took me 103 pages to really get into it, and even then, I finished mostly because I don't like to leave books unread. The main male character is immensely unlikeable. He's more a caricature than anything else. There's no growth, no arc. He's a womanizer who magically falls in love with a woman who is his complete opposite. I found this terribly predictable and a perfect example of lazy writing. The guy has no flaws. Even the stuff we're ...more
Cardyn Brooks
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
If Anita Blake were a man (impulsive, cocky, haunted) tossed into a universe very similar to World War Z, it might resemble the context of The Reburialists, which is also a romance. A tag line from Joe Morton's Capt. Mac in Speed and variations on memorable lines from Eraser and Air Force One make this saving-the-world tale a fun, fast read. Grace and Brynner offer provocative points of view about the nature of belief.

*****SPOILER-ish***** A few things at the end: obviousness of the supernatura
Anna
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Pure crap. The dialogue was written by a 12-year boy, whose only thoughts are sex and mayhem. Then throw in zombies. I've read better, but I doubt that I've ever read worse. I read the reviews of this author's other work and it seems that this is par for the course for him. Too bad, the plot concept would have been really cool.
Sachin Dev
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-good-reads
This was one of my first reads this vacation. The deadly humour mixed with the non stop action and that tangled love story in the backdrop of a fascinating mythology makes this a truly enjoyable read. I gobbled this one up in a few sittings on the plane, airport and at night. Loved it. Review soon!
Mara
Mar 15, 2016 marked it as sampled
Maybe. sample is interesting, price so not at 10$.
Darcy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was turned off right from the start with this one. I didn't care for Brynner, he seemed to think he was God's gift to women and also it seemed to be that he thought he was above everyone else in the agency he worked. Not sure if the later came because his dad was one of the first doing that job, or because he was good, or a combo. Either way, that combined with the first made the book not for me.
Christian - Knightingale Reviews
I have to say that my first impression of Brynner was not a good one. On the first page, he's running away from one of the many women whom he has scorned over the years. I definitely despise annoying male characters that have nothing better to do than use women and have countless one night stands. It became very apparent that this character has a history of womanizing. Hence, he has been banned from getting involved with any female employee of the Bureau. So needless to say, I did not like him a ...more
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
This is an original review from Booked & Loaded

The Reburialists was like mother-fucking Indian Jones meets Caitlin Snow. With the bonus of Egyptian mythology added in. The Reburialists is a trifecta of awesome that made my geeky heart pitter patter and sing joyous songs. I might have broke out into song or dance, ok that it's a lie..or is it? If your blinking in confusion so far, this might not be the book for you. I think the cover is a bit serious for the overall tone of this book, which e
Jessie H.
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was something else. I wasn't sure I liked the writing style or the main characters much but I was enjoying the hell at of the mythology. Then almost with me knowing it my feelings about everything changed about 30% in and I was sucked in. I ended up loving the characters by the end as well as hating some of the others. This book redeemed itself.

My thoughts are still a bit scattered so I'll write a full review as soon as I have them collected.

*I received an eARC of this book from the p
Ming
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I suspect this is a stand alone .. it is an odd one
Mitchell
An Endeavour Award read. I would have avoided this book otherwise, for the cover alone. A semi-romance Buffy/Van Helsing bit of silliness with Zombies instead of vampires. But surprisingly readable and interesting. And given that the two main characters are over the top Mary Sues, they are also just believable enough. If this book started at the beginning I think it would have been too annoying to read. But it kind of starts near the end of the story and it was definitely okay. But don't expect ...more
Alessandra
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really, really wanted to like this book.
I loved Grimm Agency's trilogy and the topic of the new one seemed one of my favorite sci-fy fantasy topic (zombies, walking deads, dark magic...)
BUT this book is SO slow. And the romance between the 2 character is so cheesy, so predictable and so wide in the book that overwhelm all the good ideas.
Such a disappointment...
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

J.C. Nelson is the author of the Grimm Agency series, but The Reburialists was a completely different story. This was dark and dangerous and steeped in uncertainty. Our characters were always being caught off guard and spent a majority of the book fighting for their lives. It was definitely intense... an enjoyable read for sure, but definitely intense.

The main characters in The Reburialists were Brynner Carson and Grace Roberts. Brynner,
Gina Urso
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I'm a sucker for Egyptian undead and all the lore and trappings that go with it. Great sexual tension and chemistry, deep, rich characters and well defined setting. Twists and turns and I loved the ride. Sequel. Now. Please!
Robin
Eh. Liked the world building quite a bit, the characters were okay...kind of flat. The plot wasn't bad but it....was kind of flat also even with a fair amount of action. There is promise here if this is going to be a series.
Molly Schwanz
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is fabulous, and I'm afraid that if I say anything else I'll spoil it.
Leeanna
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, e-book, arcs
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

THE REBURIALISTS is delightfully quirky urban fantasy. It’s full of action, a super cool mythology, and even a partnership/romance. “Burying the dead is easy. Keeping them down is difficult.” Who can pass up a summary with that line?

I’m typically not a fan of zombie books; they’re just not my thing. But ancient Egyptian inspired zombies? Totally my thing. The mythology in THE REBURIALISTS was my favorite thing about the book. In J. C. Nel
Kt
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession

I have rather mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, the characters and their dynamics were top notch, and the plotline is very well paced and had the perfect amount of stakes. But unfortunately to be blunt, the world didn't make a lick of sense, which left me more than a little frustrated throughout the entire read. I realize part of the book is supposed to have to do with different beliefs as to why the dead didn't stay dead, but nothin
Vroom
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Reburialists suffers from trying to be all things: chick lit, action adventure, fantasy, grit. Like Elliot James' Charming, it's as if you took a bunch of books from both the hyper macho world (say, stuff like Correia's Monster Nation) and blended them together with the "feelings matter" chick books from, for example, Anne Bishop. The result is confused and muddled and fails to come together to form a coherent whole.

There's a perfect action hero whose heart is just waiting for the right girl
Cynthia
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ace-roc-stars
The Reburialists

I don't normally read this type of book. That said, I did enjoy it. It was a roller coaster of a novel, dragging us along with our heroes Brynner Carson and Grace Roberts. Along the way they leave a landscape littered with the bodies of the reanimated, who they learn to dispatch with aplomb.

Brynner Carson grew up in the shadow of his father, Heinreich, who was a fighter and researcher against the scourge that infests this version of the Earth. For four thousand centuries the leg
Silvara Wilde
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Why is this not a series?? That was literally my thought when I finished this book. It was such a fun ride, and an interesting world. And I want more!

The story is told from two view points, Grace who is an analyst, and Brynner who hunts down the monsters and kills
Alysa H.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, abandoned
I was expecting Urban Fantasy, but although this book's got an interesting UF world and decent plot points, it is more like mediocre Paranormal Romance than solid UF. The point of view alternates between Brynner and Grace, two unlikeable -- and wildly inconsistent -- characters who want so desperately to get into each other's pants from the moment they meet that their attraction quickly overtakes not just the plot, but any actual character development. Brynner and Grace are meant to enact a clas ...more
Edna Honig
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I loved the zombie part of this book. This was a new take on zombies, and it was fun. I could see reading a whole series about the undead Egyptian menace stalking the globe. That would have been great. The action and fight scenes were well done too. Anytime the story was all zombie, I was happy.

I hated the romance part of the book. Unfortunately, that was a big part of the story. This should have been shelved as romance, with a zombie sub-plot. Both characters were such stereotypical clichés tha
Glennis
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I’ve had this in the TBR for a while now and it sounded interesting. In this world the dead come back to life animated by the Re-Animis. All dead bodies are prepped to prevent them from rising by cutting all the tendons or they go for cremation. Brynner has been fighting them all his life after learning the craft from his parents who are both dead. When the dead start speaking to Jack and tell him they want something his father hid and they will not stop until they get it back. Brynner is a love ...more
Rachel Chiapparine
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I enjoy the "Grimm Agency" series by this same author so I wanted to see if I would like this book as well. My personal review of the book is as follows:

I want to start by saying that I believe that if you like the movie "The Mummy" I think you're going to enjoy this book as well, I also think that the movie will give you a better framework for understanding how the world of this book is set up.

I still personally feel that there was a bit of "instant love" between t

• Reaper's Touch
  • Dark Alchemy (Dark Alchemy, #1)
  • The Seer
  • The Private Sector
  • Timeless
  • Veiled Magic (Veiled Magic, #1)
  • Gilded Hearts (The Shadow Guild, #1)
  • Storms of Lazarus (Shadows of Asphodel #2)
  • White Heart of Justice (Noon Onyx, #3)
  • Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #3)
  • Crucible Zero (House Immortal, #3)
  • Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror
  • The Sweetheart Rules (Sweetheart Sisters, #2)
  • 84 Ribbons: A Dancer's Journey (Ballet Trilogy, #1)
  • Color Song (Passion Blue, #2)
  • A Royal Romance (A Royal Romance Story, #1)
  • The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers, #1)
  • I Heart Robot
A Texas native transplanted to the Pacific Northwest, JC Nelson works with software, herds chickens and children, and writes books.