Start by marking “A Passion for Elephants: The Real Life Adventure of Field Scientist Cynthia Moss” as Want to Read:

A science and nature biography of Cynthia Moss, the elephant expert, by the author of Caldecott Honor book One Cool Friend

Cynthia Moss was never afraid of BIG things. As a kid, she loved to ride through the countryside on her tall horse. She loved to visit faraway places. And she especially loved to learn about nature and the world around her. So when Cynthia traveled to A
Published September 29th 2015 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about A Passion for Elephants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Passion for Elephants

Heidi
Buzzeo has done it again. She's created a fascinating and inspiring account of a woman who once intrigued by elephants remained in Africa for decades studying them. The text works just right as a story of a girl becoming a woman, a rather fearless one, not afraid to take on something big. From a large horse to the ivory trade, Moss has truly left her mark on the world. The illustrations are gorgeous and I loved them. This is the sort of picture book that I not only love to share but I enjoy just ...more
Marcia
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In A Passion for Elephants; the Real Life Adventure of Field Scientist Cynthia Moss, Toni Buzzeo, former School Librarian and the author of numerous children's picture books including her African themed stories, has written a compelling children's picture biography (and more) that you will find encourages young readers to be open to the possibilities in life and to embrace their interests no matter how BIG.
Part biography, part animal non-fiction, part ecology essay, this book adds up to a BIG st
Pamela Powell
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Wonderful illustrations about the life of elephant researcher Cynthia Moss.
Suzanne
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually, I've had this book for a couple of months*, but I didn't want my review to be lost too far in advance of publication, so I've held off on posting it. Toni Buzzeo has taken the story of field scientist Cynthia Moss and turned it into a wonderful narrative nonfiction that even the youngest readers can enjoy. The repeated emphasis on words like big, tall, high, far, enormous, and overwhelming, lets us see not only the size of the creatures Moss studies, but the scope of her project. The c ...more
Carol  Vanhook
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Passion for Elephants is a delightful, explorative read. This book will spark an interest in elephants and world conservation. The author includes supplemental information on Cynthia Moss in the back of the book and sources for a world of continued learning! Watch for the book -- September 29, 2015.

Cynthia Moss explored her world as a “horse-loving little girl." As she grew older, one adventure after another came knocking at her door, and she always answered. After college, a spectacular adven
Lilly
Feb 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: pre-k-bookshelf
Picture Book. A Passion for Elephants: The Real Life Adventure of Field Scientist Cynthia Moss is a book focused on a little girl who never gave up on BIG ideas even in her adult years. She starts with a love for horses at such a young age, something that would be daunting to anyone else her size. Proving her passion to never give up. The story continues by Cynthia getting invited to travel to Africa and work with something much bigger than she’s used to; elephants. Cynthia spends her time learn ...more
Lisa
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Moss followed her passion and made a life in Africa. She studied elephants and learned everything she could;then, she began her work to save them. This work of narrative non-fiction is compelling as the author tells Moss's story. This book has passion and conviction but it is told in a way that young readers will understand. The illustrations are collage work. They are beautiful and evoke thoughts and feelings of the wildness of Africa. I read this for the story but as a teacher libraria ...more
Emily Shaw
The book is about Cynthia Moss and she isn't afraid of big things. At the beginning, the book talks about Cynthia's life growing up and her love for horses and horseback riding. After she graduated college, she receives letters from her friend Penny who is in Africa. Thus, Cynthia went to Africa, and met with a zoologist that had her photograph elephants. Cynthia ended up falling in love with the elephants. She began to learn a lot of elephant family behavior, and she worried about them. She beg ...more
Lynn Plourde
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars for me--4 for the text and 3 for the illustrations. This picture book biography of Cynthia Moss who started the Amboseli Elephant Research Project makes her story easily accessible to young readers. Buzzeo starts the story when Moss is a child who rides a tall horse to show even as a little girl, Moss was "not afraid of BIG things." Buzzeo's vocabulary is rich. A longer bio is included in the back matter. The illustrations had a nice collage feel, but felt oddly out of proportion in ...more
Nicolina Circella
This book has wonderful illustrations that make it a good choice to read aloud with children. The work of Cynthia Moss is very well exemplified and we are able to learn through her experiences. This book has many aspects that allow for a good story as well as withholding the educational side of things. This would be a great novel to incorporate into a classroom with younger students. This book will connect to many lessons in a variety of ways. Overall, the beautiful and vibrant illustrations onl ...more
Laura Giessler
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully told story of how Cynthia Moss ended up living with, studying, and fighting to save the same group of elephants for 40 years. I like how the writing shows how Moss's life evolved, how her interests grew and changed, and how her decisions led her to where she is now. Biography; informational book on elephants; conservationist plea. Cool that you can simply Google Cynthia Moss to see real photos of her life and work.
Mary
This is an accessible picture book biography about field scientist, Cynthia Moss, who has photographed wild elephants in Africa. Buzzeo's narrative, along with Berry's art, captures Moss's passion and dedication to the protection of the elephants. Although the plight of the elephants is tragic, Buzzeo's tone is light, gently introducing the horror of ivory poaching. A useful introduction that will appeal to young animal lovers and young natural scientists.
Terry
This is a fascinating story and a great first biography for my older child. I did not love it as much as she did. Some of the illustrations depicting dead elephants and bloody tusks were too much for my little boy.

There's more to our review. Visit the Reading Tub. While you’re there, add a link to your review of the book.
Lynn
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Text has enough details and information to make the life of Moss interesting, but is tight and easy to read - a tough combination to pull off! Buzzeo includes comparisons that youngsters will understand. I'd never heard of Moss before, but this is a book I will share with my second graders when they study Africa, and with fourth graders when they study biographies.
Colorful illustrations and text segments are often framed in uneven, African-style patterns.
Ellen Taylor
Fascinating biographical account of Cynthia Moss, an American who visited Africa and made her home there, studying the African Elephants and their family structure. She was instrumental in forming a foundation that works to stop the ivory trade (and senseless killings) and to protect the environment for the future elephants. Excellent illustration by Holly Berry.
Rachael Fluke
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Peacegal
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
This exciting and inspiring picture book will take young readers into the habitat of the majestic African elephants with their tireless advocate, scientist Cynthia Moss. This would be a great humane education title to share with kids as part of a science class or a unit on elephants or conservation.
Nancy Snyder
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This engaging picture book shares the life's work of Cynthia Moss, a field scientist and animal-rights activist. She was able to live out her love of nature and animals by studying elephants through her travels in Africa. Children too can accomplish BIG dreams.
Diana
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kids
Interesting biography of someone who was willing to take risks and ended up making a difference as a result. Great message for kids! A tad wordy for my purposes, but that's okay. I'd still recommend it.
Paula Hollohan
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting biography of Cynthia Moss. Great in a school library to discuss how one person can work towards a change in the world. And working with something you are passionate about. A good purchase for the elementary library.
Alyssa
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This insightful story tells about Cynthia Moss' life work with elephants. It tells of all the things she learned about them and also about her fight to save them as many people continue to kill them for their ivory.
Donna
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting & inspiring books about the story of a field scientist finding her passion studying elephants.
Jill
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-people, picture
This is a perfect fit for kids who enjoy Wild Kratts. My budding zoologist was fascinated by this story.
Nancy
Cynthia Moss does for elephants what Jane Goodall does for chimps. A well told story of a single person with a passion who has made a big difference for good in our world.
Excellent biography about Cynthia Moss and her work to save African elephants.
Kimberly Wright Oelkers
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Using this one for Animal Habitats with my 3rd graders.
Aliza Werner
Biography of an elephant scientist/conservationist. Good mentor text for persuasive writing as she convinced the public the harms of hunting elephants for ivory.
Bethe
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting bio for young readers about a girl who grew up to work in Africa with the elephants. Folk art style illustrations enhance the information, love the note and photo of Cynthia Moss.
Emily
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
informative and unique picture book biography
Jen Ferry
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to our 921 section. This will be a wonderful read-aloud, potentially tied with Me...Jane or other similar books.