Start by marking “Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit” as Want to Read:
Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit

Food Whore: A Novel of Dining and Deceit

Food whore (n.) A person who will do anything for food.

Fresh out of college, Tia Monroe has every intention of taking the New York City restaurant scene by storm. But after a coveted internship goes up in smoke, Tia’s suddenly just another food lover in the big city.

Yet everything changes when Michael Saltz, a legendary New York Times restaurant critic, lets Tia in on a c
Published October 27th 2015 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Food Whore, please sign up.

Ann
Thanks to the publisher for an advance reader's copy.

Let me start by saying that the food writing is fantastic. The author is incredibly talented at describing the allure and beauty of food, and I want to start reading her blog because I'm sure it's great.

But....the rest of the book, not so much. The writing isn't very good, even for a fluff book. The novel is supposed to show the seduction of New York, and how easy it is to get in over your head, but I found the pacing really off, and Tia's cha
Jen Ryland
A perfect read for Thanksgiving weekend. Back in the 90s, I used to read ALL the chick lit, so I'm happy that the genre is creeping back into favor.

There were things I really liked about this and others I took issue with. The way the book described food had me really hungry and all I had around were some leftovers and a bag of baked Lays.

However, if you've read much (any?) chick lit, you'll probably find this book pretty formulaic. You could pretty much call it The Devil Took Me to Nobu and I W
Andrea Guy
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is so different when it comes to the types of stories that I usually read. The food writing is so wonderfully descriptive that you will be hungry most of the time you are reading. There will be a lot of random nibbling being done while you read this book.

I wish I could say that I loved the main character, Tia Monroe, but as the book goes on, I found myself hating her, or at least strongly disliking her. The whole way that she ended up ghostwriting the column didn't make a lot of sense
Olivia Lammel
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read a fun foodie fluff book, but this book was painful and stressful. It was difficult to root for the main character Tia Monroe because she was so silly, self-destructive and self-centered for much of the book. I found myself wanting her whole life to implode so she would stop lying to everyone and stressing me out.

I was going to give it one star, but I think my degree of disappointment is proportional to my very high expectations for a fun, easy read. So two stars it is.
Leanne
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Write about what you know... good, because the author apparently knows food. But then she also included things she is not conversant with, like fraud and graft and how to pull off extortion.

If you like books about extremely shallow women and enjoy characters who make you dislike them more by the end of the book than you did at the beginning, then you're in luck.

The writing about food and clothing is pretentious and the story strains credibility on almost every page.

Melodie
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-and-food
Tia Monroe is living her dream...sort of. She has a coveted spot in the one of the most celebrated post graduate Food Studies programs in the country. She is living in what is considered the Mecca of food, New York City. She has a boyfriend who loves and supports her. So why does she have this feeling that her culinary life is passing her by? After all, she has so much to contribute, why don't people see that? Why doesn't her boyfriend see that?
This is a classic tale of "be careful what you wis
Cheryl
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I would not call myself a "foodie" but I am open to trying new foods. However I like to live vicariously through the characters in "foodie" books. The best part about these types of books are the descriptive details about all of the yummy food. It is almost like I can taste and smell the food in the story as it is being described. Which there was not a lack of details or food in this book. Tia really does have a good talent for being a food critic. Although I grew annoyed with her lack of backbo ...more
Gaele
A debut offering from author Jessica Tom will have your mouth watering, even as you push on through the story. Luscious food descriptions, tastes and textures are easy to envision as Tia regroups after not getting an internship, THE internship with a renowned food critic turned cookbook author.

But, all is not lost as she is approached with an offer, the current star critic for the Times has lost his taste buds, and she enters into the food elite, undercover and in secret. She’s unable to share
Hikari Loftus
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a big foodie and wannabe chef, books like this always catch my interest. While I had a few issues with the writing style, in the end, that really didn't matter to me.

If a book is for entertainment, then I was thoroughly entertained. This isn't about food for sustenance, this is about food as passion. I particularly enjoyed every single detail on the food and its preparation. I thought Tia was a well developed character that I connected with and understood.

This was a fun read for me. It even
Meg
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jessica Tom’s Food Whore is fast-paced, light and entertaining — everything I love in good chick lit. Comparisons to a foodie version of The Devil Wears Prada are pretty spot-on, but I liked Tia’s persistence and willingness to step out to reach her goals.

Even if that meant getting stepped on.

As a narrator, Tia could be frustrating, though. She’s frequently gullible, though I can’t pretend I would know better. The plot line with her college sweetheart was a little irritating, given dude was as i
Erin Cataldi
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best foodie novels I've read in years! Tia Monroe moved to New York to go to one of the best food studies graduate programs. Her greatest passion in life is writing about food and all she has dreamed about is landing an internship with Helen Laskey, the greatest cookbook author and foodie in New York. Things take a turn though when she doesn't land her chosen internship and is approached by a New York Times food critic who want to do nothing more than exploit her. Backed into a corner ...more
LeeAnne
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author, Jessica Tom, used to be a food critic for Yale Daily News. The main character in the book, Tia Monroe, is also a critic who has aspirations of being a food writer. Tia, a student at NYU in the food program, is working towards an internship with her favorite cookbook author. Instead, she ends up meeting Michael Saltz, NY Times food critic and her course gets altered. Michael talks her into being his ghostwriter and this snowballs into Tia being blackmailed and having to lie to everyon ...more
Kara Jay
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

I love food. I love eating, looking at, photographing, smelling, and cooking food. So that part of this book obviously appealed to me on a very real level. The descriptions of the food inspired me and honestly made me want to eat and cook all day. I literally want to quit my job and go explore the New York restaurant scene right now.
Food Whore drew me in and I was always hungry (haha, I'm hilarious) for what would happen next. Many of the foodie
Deb
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A new grad student in NYU's food studies program, Tia is aiming for a coveted internship with a famed and beloved cookbook author. However, she doesn't get a chance to impress Helen Lansky (who I kept picturing as Ruth Reichl in my head) with a container of her labor-intensive Dacqouise Drops, "a creation born of love" for her grandfather, because her path crosses with current New York Times food critic Michael Saltz. Saltz is notorious and altogether slimy, but he offers Tia a tempting proposit ...more
Tina
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Food Whore by Jessica Tom is an interesting concept for foodie book. It’s a story about Tia Monroe and her goal of becoming a food writer in New York City. She and her college boyfriend move to NYC to pursue their individual dreams. Tia wants to be in the food industry while her boyfriend Elliott is involved with environmental studies. They support each other emotionally but don’t have a deep knowledge or passion regarding each other’s life work.

This book is packed with descriptions of meals an
Wendy
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Food Whore is a trip into the world of food writing and restaurants in New York City. Celebrity chefs, critics stars to be won and lost, ingredient-of-moment dishes and lots of intrigue. Tia Monroe comes to the city with her boyfriend, both graduates of Yale beginning Masters programs at NYU. Tia's dream is to become a food writer and she has her heart set on an internship with her idol, Helen Lansky, a former restaurant critic for the NY Times and best-selling cookbook author. Her internship as ...more
Phil Williams
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love to eat. Anyone who has ever invited me to dinner or seen me with my shirt off can attest to that. I love food. Eating it, cooking it, the entire foodie culture.

In Food Whore, Jessica Tom tells the tale of Tia Monroe, a grad student trying to get into the food industry, when she meets the food critic for the New York Times who has lost his ability to taste. The critic proposes she can taste the food for him, help him write the reviews and in exchange she can use his unlimited expense acco
Lola (Reading by Lamplight)
I just love books about food. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies. I'm a Foot Network/Cooking Channel junkie. One of my other favorite hobbies? Reading. Reading food themed books is the best of both worlds! Tom does a great job of integrating a lot of food verbiage in Food Whore. The descriptions of food alone was enough to make my mouth water! I also liked the incorporation of fashion. It's true...the food scene isn't just about food...fashion certainly has it ranks among foodies as well as f ...more
Kari
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I'm not a big foodie. I mean I like to eat, but I don't go crazy over food. But, I thought I would give Food Whore a try. A "food whore" is defined as person who will do anything for food. But after reading this book, I'm not sure that description fits the main character. I think that is why I had a hard time connecting with this book.

Tia really bothered me. Now, I know she is young, but I really didn't like her. I didn't like how she treated her boyfriend or her friends. She wasn't someone who
Georgina Castellucci
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My only regret is beginning this book Friday on the train home. I was immediately sucked in and when my friend asked me to come out later that evening I some unconvincing excuse as to why I could not.
Because I wanted to stay in to read Food Whore.
This book has everything you could imagine and more importantly, everything you would want.
Food (the imagery brought to mind made me ashamed of the previous "food journalism" I had submitted), high fashion, romance and all set in the perfect city - none
Alexandra
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book was written for people who call themselves "foodies."

I didn't like it. I was so excited to finally read this because the description of the book sounds so interesting and the author has experience writing about food and I guess in the restaurant industry as well. But the description of the plot was a lot more interesting than the actual story. It was boring. I didn't like any of the characters and they didn't seem like real people. This was one of the main reasons I didn't
Melissa
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I haven't really read many novels about food, but I loved this! The book is written from the point of view of a girl named Tia, who just started graduate school in New York City. Food and writing about food are her passions, so she has her mind set on getting an internship where she can work beside her idol. When that doesn't work out, Tia agrees to work with a very well known food critic as his ghost writer.

The author did a wonderful job showing Tia's transition of being a normal grad student,
Don Gorman
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
(2). I was looking for something different. I had gotten burned by a couple of books lately and was looking for fun, something light, lively and entertaining. Being a mild foodie and a big fan of New York, the review in the NY Times of this one caught my eye and I picked it up at the library. For the first 100 pages or so it hit the spot, just what I was looking for! Then, it happened.......I hit the chick lit wall! So much drama, so much shopping, so much estrogen, it was all too much. The clim ...more
Diana
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. Getting ahead in the restaurant business is definitely not a piece of cake. A well-known food critic uses her for his own glory when unable to taste food for himself. He offers her dinners at fine restaurants, an unlimited clothing allowance plus a generous personal allowance to basically pick her brains on the taste of the dinners. Interesting story with a few twists and turns including other restaurant employees and chefs. All in all - a good read. This book came from Good ...more
Lydia
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I debated about whether to rate this a 4 or 5 star. I;m feeling generous, so 5 stars it is. This book may look a little dirty, but it had surprisingly few sex scenes, in my opinion. I am fascinated by the food industry in big cities. This book centers on a woman who is making her way through the ranks as a food critic. The crazy combinations and descriptions were delectable and I enjoyed the drama that occurred. This is a wonderful read, and I was reminded of how much I adore the word "toothsome ...more
Davida Chazan
If you're looking for a romp through New York's high-powered world of culinary excellence, with some sidelines into the sphere of high fashion, combined with intrigue and topped with some steam from both inside and out of the kitchen, this is the book for you. Read why in my review here. https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2015/10/0...
Diana Santoso
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie-chicklit
Read this in one sitting! Surprisingly good even though it doesn't immediately catch me in the first few pages. I never read a novel with this kinda premise so it's kinda a fresh air to me. I keep thinking of what'll unfold next and how the ending would be, because this could end in glory, if the author wants to. I'm looking forward to the author's next books!
Andrew
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read food books, but I really enjoyed Food Whore. Inventive, moving, clever, and it made me very hungry with every chapter. An insightful look into a world I want to learn more about.
Kim Holsapple
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished it last nite! What a great book. I have never read a foodie novel before but I really enjoyed it! Loved all the characters and the plot of the story. I won this through a Goodreads giveaway!
Ashley
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Devil Wears Prada meets the culinary world. I devoured the book. It has the perfect ingredients for a chick flick movie. A real treat!

Favorite quote: "You think you're the one who keeps the secret, but really it's the secret that keeps you (p. 326)."

• Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Spooning
  • The Will of Wisteria
  • American Food Writing: an Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • Shadrach
  • The Barbarians are Coming
Jessica Tom is a writer and food blogger living in Brooklyn. She has worked on initiatives with food trucks, restaurants, hospitality startups, and citywide culinary programs. She graduated from Yale University with a concentration in fiction writing. FOOD WHORE: A Novel of Dining and Deceit is her first novel.

Visit her at www.jessicatom.com
“The waiter returned with a pre-appetizer amuse-bouche, a soup spoon filled with diced radishes, shortbread crumbs, and a black pepper gastrique. After the waiter left, Michael Saltz said, "They're trying. Hard."
The radishes had been pickled, articulating their peppery bite and giving them a sharpened edge. The shortbread grounded the bite with a bready, buttery mouthful and the black pepper-vinegar sauce finished it with an elegant and seductive wisp of sweet, salty, and spicy.”
0 likes
“His fingers moved deeper and I thought that the dye may have given me new nerve endings because every hair prickled up to his touch. "We're sensualists, aren't we?"
"Sensualists?" He lowered his hand to my neck and pulled me so close our foreheads touched. "What do you mean?" I asked, the tips of my lips- just slightly- against his.
"Sensualism..." he repeated in his bizarre accent. He didn't press his lips against mine and I didn't dare press back. We let our mouths push and graze as we spoke. "We are passionate, you and I. We know how to give in to our senses."
Then I felt the full heat of his mouth on mine and I lapped him up greedily, my hands grabbing his face and hair and shoulders.
I had never thought of myself as much of a sensualist. I was a writer, a rationalist in a sensualist world. I was always worrying about what other people thought of me and more often than not I liked the company of babies and dogs instead of humans my own age.
But what's rational about a man's lips on you, when he's touching you in a way that makes you feel the exquisite pleasure of belonging? Everything else is a distraction.
We tussled with our shirts off, until he pulled me on top of him and slid his hands from under my hair, to my shoulders, down to my arms, and finally to the place where the top of my pants met my skin.
"Leather pants, you little minx. Shall we have an encore?" he asked.
By now my hair was a wild mess. I was red from the wine. The lights were sort of dark, but not dark enough. I was wearing some Kiki Montparnasse lingerie, black lace with tiny bows that were at once sweet and not so sweet. You could even describe them as naughty.
He let the tip of one finger move around the edge of my pants. When he got to the button, he made a flicking motion that stressed its hold. The critical button.”
0 likes