Start by marking “Selected Philosophical Writings” as Want to Read:
Selected Philosophical Writings

Selected Philosophical Writings

St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) saw religion as part of the natural human propensity to worship. His ability to recognize the naturalness of this phenomenon and simultaneously to go beyond i - to explore, for example, spiritual revelation - makes his work as fresh and readable today as it was seven centuries ago.

This accessible new translation offers thirty-eight substantia
Paperback, Oxford World's Classics, 496 pages
Published August 20th 1998 by Oxford University Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Philosophical Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Philosophical Writings

Brent McCulley
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Reading Aquinas is like listening to your Aunt Bev lecture you on post WWII politics...utterly boring but you know you are obligated to listen and simply nod your head and say "mmhmm" every minute or so.

Nevertheless, I did absorb a good amount of this material. And despite all the repetition, there were a few gems in this book, as it is organized quite nicely with an index in the back which I am sure I will consult anytime I need Aquinas' philosophical opinion on the matter.

Necessary reading.
Regan
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always forget that Thomas is surprisingly funny.
Catherine
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, religion
The law section was revolutionary and fascinating. Still prefer to watch paint dry, not because it's more interesting but because it's less theologically problematic.
Nox Prognatus
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is full of earlier Philosophers work, such as Aristotle, Pseudo-Dionysus, Boethius etc.. it does have Aquinas own take on matters. The book skips back and forth and is very repetitive for the few gems within. one thing is clear, that Aquinas was borrowed out of context by Catholicism and the fact he draws heavily on Earlier Greek philosophy proves it. Some really good sections on life after death, energy and soul. Overall I found the reading repetitive and tedious in places.
Rosemary Reilly
Of course, I didn't read all of it. How could I. But I did read some of it for a class I took on Aquinas's Philosophy of Religion last semester when I was studying in Dublin. And I feel like that effort counts for something.
Daniel2
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Extremely glad I read this. Some arguments are unstable(very few), but for the most part very sold.
Meister90
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Aquinas is a methodical thinker with some useful insights, but based on this translation I would never read him again. The writing is unbearably dull. I had to really slog through this one.
Cliodhna Ni Ghadhra
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I am so heartbroken to be away from England that I am giving all its related books mediocre reviews.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Thought-provoking and so insightful!
Nathan
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice compilation of some of the Dumb Ox's writings. It's fairly standard Aquinas. If you don't want to spend the money on Aquinas' actual volumes, I would recommend this text and the one called "Selected Writings" published by Penguin. I would start with this one, and then move on to the Penguin one. It's a good way to understand Aquinas' main conclusions and arguments (albeit this is just brushing the snow off, not even scratching the surface. Aquinas runs deep...) and figuring out if Aquinas i ...more
Liam Judge
Apr 08, 2016
Emily
rated it did not like it
Mar 20, 2008
Nov 15, 2007
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • The Necessity of Atheism and Other Essays
  • The Great Political Theories, Volume 2
  • The Discourses & Other Early Political Writings (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Apologia Pro Vita Sua (A Defense of One's Life)
  • Fides et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason
  • Hellenistic Philosophy: Introductory Readings
  • A Journey Through Emotional Abuse: From Bondage to Freedom
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The Three Ages Of The Interior Life: Prelude of Eternal Life
  • The Philosophy of Aristotle
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton Volume 01: Heretics, Orthodoxy, the Blatchford Controversies (Collected Works of G. K. Chesterton)
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • On Old Age, On Friendship & On Divination
  • The Great Chain of Being: A Study of the History of an Idea
  • The Doubter's Companion: A Dictionary of Aggressive Common Sense
  • Myths of Greece and Rome
  • In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis
Thomas Aquinas (sometimes styled Thomas of Aquin or Aquino), was a Dominican friar and priest notable as a scholastic theologian and philosopher. He is honored as a saint and "Doctor of the Church" in the Roman Catholic tradition.

Aquinas lived at a critical juncture of western culture when the arrival of the Aristotelian corpus in Latin translation reopened the question of the relation between fai