Start by marking “The Society” as Want to Read:
The Society

The Society

Welcome to Trinity Academy’s best-kept secret.

The Society.

You’ve been handpicked by the elite of the elite to become a member. But first you’ll have to prove your worth by making it through Hell Week.

Do you have what it takes?

It’s time to find out.

Samantha Evans knows she’d never get an invite to rush the Society—not after her dad went to jail for insider trading. But afte
Published May 3rd 2016 by Entangled Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Society, please sign up.

mith
Sep 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one. Absolutely no one.
This is, by far, one of the worst books I have read this year.
And I've read some pretty bad ones in the past half of 2016.
This review is kinda long.
So tl;dr: I am sooooooooooo tired and I hate this book soooooo much.

I have a lot of shelves. Sometimes, I have the urge to create even more because there are so many ways I need to categorize books. Then I have the urge to delete them because I wouldn't have categorized them well enough. It's the reason my "favourites" shelves are a mess.
For the
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“Revenge would be so very sweet.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who wanted revenge on another girl at school.

Sam was an okay character, but I didn’t really love her. Jessica was really quite mean to her, but I wasn’t sure that revenge was the best tactic.

The storyline in this was about Sam trying to get revenge on this girl called Jessica, and
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

I previously read Andrefski's, The Girlfriend Request, and though I wasn't too keen on it, I felt like giving her another chance when I saw the synopsis of The Society. To me, it seemed similar to one of my favourite series, Night School by C.J. Daugherty, and I hoped I would find something to fill the gap that series has left behind. However, that so wasn't the case. I read about 50% of this b
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
When I first saw The Society, I was really intrigued. It is all about revenge, one of my favourite topics, and set at a private school, something else that I love! However, as I got into the book, the main character started to annoy me. She makes some really bad decisions and has a habit of taking things too far.

The Society is another one of those good old revenge books, which is probably why I was so drawn to it! I love the humour that comes with the plotting and execution of the plans. This bo
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I couldn't be more happier that I was afforded the opportunity to read an eARC of The Society as this was not only a wonderful read but this book also touched on the very real issue of bullying.

Sam had always lead a happy life full of friends and a loving family until her father was sent to prison. Once that happened her mother abandoned her at her aunt Lor's house and her best friend dropped her like white on rice. That would have been simple to get used to but her former best friend became her
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
"The silence stretched between us like old gum you don't want anymore and decide to play with instead."

That tells you all you need to know about the quality of writing.

THE SOCIETY was free on kindle so I took a shot.
Deniz
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Actually to be completely honest, this isn't quite what I expected.
Though I am not quite sure what I expected... It's not like the blurb is inaccurate.
In fact after starting this I went and reread the blurb, and I reread it again after I finished. So I wouldn't be able to tell you why I expected this to be different. I kinda just did.
I think I expected more cute&fluffy? Possibly more angst and high-strung drama? Again I actually don't know.
And while I have been flaxing on about how this
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'The Society' is a new young adult contemporary novel that focuses on several issues relevant to our world today - mostly bullying and revenge. There have been a ton of books lately that deal with bullying, as well as a bunch of titles revolving around revenge - so this wasn't anything groundbreaking for me as a reader. It brings the two topics together and adds in the intrigue of a secret society at a prestigious private school, but it wasn't really original and didn't make a big impac
Kristine
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from Entangled Teen via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

This is the second book for me by this author and unfortunately I found I had a lot of the same issues with this book as the one I previously read. The characters were not overly likeable, there were numerous rabbit trails and a random boy that did nothing to enrich the story.

This was the story of Sam who wa
Karen • The Book Return
Read more on my blog:The Book Return Blog
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Samantha Evens used to be popular at school. Then her father is arrested for insider trading and her life falls apart. Her former best friend is now her tormentor. Sam vows to seek revenge by using the schools secret society against it's own members.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This novel was interesting as it highlights what can happen when bulling gets out
Michelle Leonard
Just Ok

Ended with very few questions answered. There were some major plot points that were left unresolved. Overly detailed in many places.
Lauren
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF after about five chapters, when I found myself repeatedly thinking, "I think I hate this book." Sam, the narrator, just seemed so oblivious and unlikeable right from the start. The writing seemed juvenile and the characters cliche. Hard pass.
Erica Chilson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 stars

Young Adult Age-range: 12+ includes kissing & bullying.

As an adult reading The Society, I'd give it 4 solid stars. Thinking back to my reading tastes as a young adult, The Society would have hit all of my favorite notes: thrilling pacing, mild romantic triangle to keep my turning the pages, and friendship troubles. I believe most young adults would give the novel 5 stars.

I was hooked on page one with the introducti
Mina  Reyes
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
#TheSociety by #JodieAndrefski it's exactly the opposite of what I thought it would be. Bullying it's a very serious problem that keeps happening doesn't matter how hard we try to stop it. How far would you go if you where a victim of bullying? Samantha finds a way to get back at the people who had made her life miserable but at what cost? How many futures she needs to destroy to get her revenge? And at what consequences. It's a good read and if you have the time and are interested in the subjec ...more
Carolyn
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 13 year olds; people dealing with bullying
3 stars.

I received a free digital copy of The Soicety in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley

"Survival is a game with a chance; revenge is a calculated plan of action."

This is the first novel I have read by Jodie Andrefski. I wasn't sure how her writing style would be or how well developed her characters are, etc. But the premise of the story intrigued me so I was happy when I received my free copy of The Society.

It is a really easy and quick
Michelle
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

The Society is a young adult standalone suspense by Jodie Andrefski. It deals with one of my favorite young adult subjects- a secret society in a boarding school setting. The Society took a bit of a different twist on the secret society thing. Instead of secrets to uncover from the school, this was a revenge plot. Secrets of a different kind. It was an interesting take on a secret society and it certainly was new and
Keanna (KeyReadThat)
*Received ARC from NetGalley*

The Why: Ex-bestfriend who bullies her and seeks revenge. But how far would you go to seek revenge on a girl who's ruined your life?

Characters:
Samantha (or Sam) has been through a lot especially since she's been pegged the convict's daughter. Ever since her father went to jail she leaves with her aunt who is sick. Sam's ex best friend, Jessica who essentially sent her father to jail bullies her to no end. Jessica, of course the queen bee of the school and draws on h
Krystianna
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
**Thank you so much to Entangled for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I was pretty excited when I first heard about The Society. The story follows a girl named Sam who is trying to get revenge on her ex-best friend Jessica. She uses The Society to try to get revenge.

I really liked how much background information was given to the reader in this novel. We are instantly thrown into the story of what happened between Jessica and Sam, which I loved. Nothing was really held
Lelia Taylor
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Teen bullying has become more widely talked about in the last few years than ever before, rightfully so, and many young adult novels have focused on the topic. This is a good thing because it helps shine a light on a serious problem but making such novels fresh and different has come to be more difficult as time goes by. It's similar to some other book themes that seem to lose their punch as too many authors and publishers jump on the bandwagon,

Sam has suffered at the hands of a former friend, J
K.M. Robinson
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Society is a book about a Sam, a girl who has been bullied ever since her father was arrested for insider trading. Her former best friend has become the queen of the school and is terrorizing her. In an effort to get payback and put Jessica in her place, Sam hijacks the school's secret society and sends fake pledges on fake missions meant to bring Jessica down. It's a great story about how revenge is never as sweet as it should be and how actions always have consequences.
I really liked that
Abbie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

I felt quite sorry for Sam at the start of this, but after a while she annoyed me.

This started out okay, but as the book progressed I started to feel a bit bored unfortunately. There wasn't anything awfully wrong with it, it just struggled to hold my interest.

Overall, An okay read.
Manuel
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Alana Byers-crawford
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't usually read much chick lit and this book made me realise why.
The cattiness and drama is just way too much.
Sam infuriated me so much and I found it hard to like her. Becoming a bully is not the answer to being bullied and I felt what she did was so much worse than what Jessica did.
I didn't like how Jeremy always stuck by her no matter what. Sometimes it's necessary to let go of toxic people in your life.
And adding in Ransom just felt so unnecessary and that it was only done to add th
Jeanne Brewer
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well worth your time

Teen angst with a positive twist. When a teenage girl's comfortable life comes crashing down around her ears, her former best friend becomes a formidable enemy, bullying her mercilessly and depriving her of any quality of life. She deals with both old and new friends, with enemies, with school administrators sans merci and without understanding, as well as with folks who have no idea of the myriad challenges facing her as she tries to advance into maturity. Backbone and chara
Brandy
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing awful about it, just nothing great either. I wasn't terribly connected to the characters and it was rather predictable as the story unfolded.

My expectations were a mix of "The Skulls" and maybe a tense mystery or two. Lots of skulking and secrecy. It just fell flat and was rather vanilla. The society itself was barely discussed!!!

This book is more suited to the younger range of YA readers. Not my cup of tea.
Boredom Books
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
First read of 2018 done. The book is alright, but suffers from chronic flat and stereotypical character syndrome. I mean, you don’t always get a direct embodiment of a bad boy on a motorcycle that wears black, is only interested in sleeping around, and has a cool name like Ransom...but you do here! That, and the fact that it seemed to have a bit of a premature climax before everything is settled down, but hey, I definitely caught the moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.
Sheralyn
Aug 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Language. I am so tired of reading foul language. I don't want to hear it either and yet the world thinks it is an acceptable form of communication. How narrow minded when we have a language filled with words far better suited to expressing oneself and flaunt your education at the same time.

Don't expect me to review more than the few paragraphs of this book prior to my literary mind being assaulted. It started out well written. That's the best I can give.
Chista
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
It's a terrible book, very boring... I even couldn't finish it as it wasn't worth my time and it didn't give me any enjoyment. I wanted a vacation time book, so I didn't expect much but it was not at all interesting.
Malinda Sutherland
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The aftereffects of bullying

It is a great book to read. You see the effects of bullying but also what can happen when retaliation is put into effect. I do wonder how the teachers never stepped into some of the situations.
Sotolf Flasskjegg
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Naja, I'm quite sure this book is not written for me, the whole angsty self entitled teen thing was getting a bit much, and I didn't like the story much, well maybe it would have been better for me if I was a teenage girl :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ultimate Blood
  • Enigma (Schrodinger's Consortium, #2)
  • Scepter of Fire (The Mirror of Immortality, #2)
  • My Year Zero
  • Rocky Road
  • Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru (Creative HeArts, #1; Sloane and Tru #1)
  • Illusion (The Hoodoo Apprentice, #3)
  • Populatti
  • Hiding Lies (Eleanor Ames, #2)
  • A World Divided (The Fairy Princess Chronicles #1)
  • Mirage
  • Malice
  • First World Problems (Solving For Ex #2)
  • Echo of The Witch (Echo #1)
  • Into The Dark (Into The Dark, #1)
  • Surrender in Moonlight
  • Everdeep (Night Watchmen, #4)
  • Golden Dunes of Renhala (Renhala, #2)
I've been passionate about reading since I was a little girl, which lead to a love of writing. I write YA--especially if it involves at least some kissing.

I have my B.S. in Secondary Education-English from Penn State University, and am also pursuing my M.S. in Mental Health Counseling.

I live and write in New Bern, North Carolina.