Start by marking “Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas

Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Edited, with an Introduction by Anton C. Pegis with selections from SUMMA THEOLOGICA and SUMMA CONTRA GENTILES
Published February 1st 1965 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 1274)

May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a selection of readings which I found difficult because I'm not practiced in reading the scholastic style. My suggestion is that one first read Fr. Copleston's book "Aquinas". It's a very clear and stimulating summary of Aquinas' major ideas.
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the classroom text we used for the class I took while pursuing my Master's at Villanova. Aquinas is an exceptional philosopher, both as a commentator on Aristotle, Maimonaides and Averroes and as a philosopher in his own right. This is a text that is fun to read as the last great systematic explanation of the pre-modern world.
Czarny Pies
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Theology students if required to do so.
Recommended to Czarny by: No one. Many warned me to stay clear of this somewhat gruesome tome.
Shelves: religion
By the time one has finished a hundred pages of this Introduction to St, Thomas Aquinas, one understands why so many priests and ministers hate theology. This book is truly the most mind-numbing work of pedantry that I have ever tackled. It analyzes in excruciating detail the qualities of man, of nature, of his soul, his essence, his will, his habits, his unity and his appetites. St. Thomas Aquinas presents with a Christianity denuded of any good news. There is no mention our redemption obtained ...more
Dave Ghezzi
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
St.Thomas Aquinas was one of the great sholars of the 13th century. He was a student of Aristotle, and interpreted that ancient philosophers' works to defend his positions on the way human life related to the fathers of the Catholic doctrine. He led the way to existentialist thought, by his utterly humanistic outlook. You cannot understand the Medieval period without reading his beatifully crafted logical theses, tempered by love of humanity.
Svetlana H.
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, theology
I wish I had the words to review this book. I am awe-struck at Thomas Aquinas' ability to argue well, reason well, and persuade well in order to convince even the most stubborn readers of his position. Aquinas is so logical, organized, and methodical in his writing style, that the reader never gets confused, no matter how hard the topic might be to fathom. In the hands of Aquinas, the topics becomes like liquid gold, and Aquinas molds them masterfully into a mental image that any normal person c ...more
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sublime book, and it is still only a compressed Introduction out of his Basic Writings! Wow! You can really learn a lot from St. Thomas's argumentations, responses, and answers. He has such a brilliant mind.
St. Thomas Aquinas is, of course, brilliant. I would've given Summa 5 stars, but it's a school book and I didn't read enough of it to truly appreciate it. Next time around (hopefully I'll get to read the whole thing sometime), Aquinas shall set the cogs of my brain turning and churning round and round in agony and delight, fighting through syllogisms and logic of unsurpassed quality.
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
If I ever have a kid, I'm teaching him/her via disputatio.

It's Aquinas. What else do you need?
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intro so far.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, theology
E x c e l l e n t !
Nicholas Bobbitt
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pegis was worried about offending Aquinas readers by not including their favorites, as he says in the introduction. As someone who's new to reading Aquinas' work, this is a great primer. It lets me know what sort of things are to come when I go on to read other collections, like the Basic Writings and On Politics and Ethics. Pegis seems to defer to the former as a more comprehensive collection, and On Politics and Ethics is a book I'm reading specifically because it was included in a list of cla ...more
Dana Jalobeanu
  • On Free Choice of the Will
  • Introduction to Aristotle
  • Aquinas
  • Catholicism: New Study Edition--Completely Revised and Updated
  • The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Practice in Christianity
  • The Philosophical Writings of Descartes (Volume I)
  • The Renaissance Philosophy of Man: Petrarca, Valla, Ficino, Pico, Pomponazzi, Vives
  • The Christological Controversy
  • Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide
  • An Essay On the Development of Christian Doctrine
  • Surprised by Joy, Reflections on the Psalms, The Four Loves, and The Business of Heaven (The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis)
  • Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings
  • Philosophy and Theology
  • The Christian Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas
  • The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle (Companions to Philosophy)
  • Thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey
Thomas Aquinas (sometimes styled Thomas of Aquin or Aquino), was a Dominican friar and priest notable as a scholastic theologian and philosopher. He is honored as a saint and "Doctor of the Church" in the Roman Catholic tradition.

Aquinas lived at a critical juncture of western culture when the arrival of the Aristotelian corpus in Latin translation reopened the question of the relation between fai
More about Thomas Aquinas...