Start by marking “The Silk Mind” as Want to Read:
The Silk Mind

The Silk Mind

Ashlin Smith is incredibly bored with his job as supervisor of the Royal Badger Survey.
He wants nothing more than to quit and go back to being a blacksmith like the rest of his family wanted.
However, due to politics, prophecy, and an inexplicable plot set in motion decades before, his job is about to become a lot more interesting, and not in a good way.
ebook, new 2015 edition, 200 pages
Published August 24th 2015 by Pete Alex Harris (first published May 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Silk Mind, please sign up.
Pete Harris Sorry I didn't see your question until just now.

Sorry I didn't see your question until just now.

1) part of a complicated bureaucracy that has a non-obvious purpose but also as far as anyone working in the Survey is concerned, mostly surveys the badger population of Atlar for no useful reason.

2) He gets the girl, after a number of bad things happen to him and his friends. Not really a spoiler, because that's how these things always go. The interesting bit is in the details.

3) It's rather cross-genre. Fantasy with a bit of rationality, some not very graphic horror, and a bit of dry humour.

Thanks! I'm working on a back cover as well now, because it's going to paperback this year.(less)

Charity (On My Kindle BR)
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: onmykindlebr
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review

The Silk Mind begins with our protagonist, Ashlin, who is preparing to resign from his post because it is boring and pointless. He wants nothing more than to become a blacksmith, find a pretty girl, and settle down. When he attempts to turn in his resignation, Dr. Grey ignores it and sends Ashlin and his co-workers on a journey to survey an unusually large badger.

The first clue that readers are given about the Survey's true purpose is when
Pete Harris
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
Here I go, reviewing my own book again. When this first went out on Smashwords, it was a very unpolished draft. It's due to be re-released at the end of August, in a much improved form.

It's fantasy, but without dragons or orcs, and only a little bit of non-natural biology and psychology.

I always did like the characters in it, and the main change I had to make in the rewrite was to re-structure the ending so although the outcome was the same, their motivations and goals were more consistent with
Lugave
Duckytwit
Aug 31, 2017
Brianne
Sep 04, 2017
I mostly write SF, low-magic fantasy, and short horror.

My first fantasy novel, The Silk Mind is a semi-serious adventure story. Its sequel, The Source of Fire carries on the tale 12 years later, and some of the more serious implications of the back-story.

My first SF novel, Miasma, has a little bit of romance and a little bit of puzzle, set on a far-future human colony. It's told from the viewpoint