Start by marking “Live to Air (Ethan Benson)” as Want to Read:
Live to Air (Ethan Benson)

Read Book

Live to Air (Ethan Benson)

Television, politics, and the Russian mob: Live to Air is a riveting crime thriller, jam-packed with intrigue and unforgettable characters.

Ethan Benson is a charming and principled-if sometimes difficult-television producer in New York City who detests doing crime stories. But that's of no significance to his high-powered boss at the network, and Benson finds himself
Published June 9th 2015 by River Grove Books

Start your review of Live to Air (Ethan Benson)
Christine
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Email from publisher to read for review
I would like to thank Greenleaf Book Group, River Grove Books, and Jeffrey L Diamond for an advanced review copy of Live to Air in exchange for an unbiased review.

What a pleasant surprise this novel was to me! Live to Air is the debut novel of Mr. Jeffrey Diamond. I wasn’t sure what to expect, this being a debut by a noncareer author, but I loved it.

This protagonist is Ethan Benson, award-winning producer for a national newsmagazine The Weekly Reporter airing on the nation’s leading television
Sherwood Smith
Jun 30, 2015 added it
Shelves: mystery
Copy courtesy NetGalley

Apparently author Jeffrey Diamond has worked in television for forty years, winning six Emmys while involved with many famous news shows. Live to Air is his first novel, a mystery that is projected as first in a series centered around a maverick television news producer named Ethan Benson.

Benson has a problem with drinking which he is aware of, and a serious problem with smoking which he seems unaware of. He smoked so many cigarettes during the course of this book that my
Cindy
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
When I was contacted about reading and reviewing this book, I thought it sounded interesting and accepted. A book combining television, the Russian mafia, corrupt cops, corrupt politicians, and prison would probably be the first I've read of this type but I'm an eclectic type of reader. Wow, am I so glad that I didn't pass this one up!

The author grabbed my attention from the beginning and didn't let go. It was a fast paced read since I hated to put it down. There were many twists and turns to
Tulay
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.

This book is about what it takes behind-the-scenes of true investigating reporter shows. We don't have them any more, don't even turn on the TV any more. Author first hand knowledge of this subject makes is exciting and informative. But don't like the main character Benson, maybe he'll stop drinking and stop smoking. Will be reading the next book.
Carol Glassman
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Live to Air by Jeffery Diamond
NO SPOILERS
‘Live to Air’ is an engaging novel that exposes the author very quickly as one who is adept at creating visual scenes. In fact, as one reads, the city of New York and its lifestyle become intrinsic parts of another one of its characters from its grubby meat packing district to its tonier condos, flashier offices, Brooklyn, and the classy Hamptons. At the sane time, we meet characters who inhabit these areas from the bottom up: the Russian mafia and its
Mary
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books I could not put down. Thankfully I was on a long flight and had time to read it from cover to cover in one sitting. This will be a series I will have to continue reading. The book is from a debut author. I can't wait to see what he brings next.

Ethan Benson is a believable, if flawed character. He drinks too much, works too much, but has the best of intentions. He is a producer and the descriptions and interview process for the journalistic portions of this felt very
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I made it to page 50. That's all I can say about it. The writing, for me, wasn't good. Too choppy and things were repeated a million times in the same way. "I don't work on crime reports." "He doesn't work on crime reports." "You never work on crime reports." I get it. He doesn't work on crime reports. It just had the mark of a first book, and I wasn't impressed with it.

Received this book through the publisher for an honest review.
Andrea Stoeckel
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“ Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to each man[sic]the due process of the law”

Ethan Benson, semi burnt out television producer, hated the story that just got handed to him with ultimatums all over it: investigate the death of the deputy mayor’s eldest daughter around the agreement to also interview a very willing to talk, convicted for that murder gun for hire. In New York the strings attached to setting this up are annoyingly hard to do. Ethan knows this is probably his last
Zita
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-arcs
An exciting journey from a crime to the screen…

A drug deal goes sour and collateral damage is the death of a woman who happened to be in the area. An injured man with a gun is taken into custody, he confesses and is tried and convicted of the crime. A year and a half has passed and it’s time for the convicted man’s sentencing bringing the crime back into the public eye. A television network is featuring the story and assign one of their top producers the task of bringing the details of the crime
Julie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Live to Air by Jeffrey L. Diamond is a 2015 River Grove Books Publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Live to Air is a riveting fast paced crime thriller,and is as enlightening as it frightening.

Ethan is an investigative news reporter for “The Weekly Reporter” who finds his back against a wall as the world of journalism is swiftly changing, his drinking and smoking is out of hand, his boss has given him an ultimatum and his family is losing patience
Beth
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from GreenLeaf Book Group and the author for no charge in exchange for my honest review of this book. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Book Description:

Darlene
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone/mystery
Recommended to Darlene by: Jeffery K Diamond
Shelves: first-reads
**********RECEIVED THIS E-BOOK FROM NETGALLEY ******
OMG I have never and I mean never read anything written so spine thrilling -on the edge of your seat page turner as I have this.
Having never read anything before that Mr. Diamond has written. I knew at once when I read the blurb about this story. That this was one I just had to read. Boy, am I glad that I did.
Mr. Diamond has a lot of experience in the television world. His knowledge of how the shows are produced and what needs to go into one
Daniel
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.75 of 5

Former television writer/producer Jeffrey L. Diamond has taken his experience working in television and brought it to the page in this mystery/thriller, Live to Air.

Ethan Benson is a television producer working for a magazine-format show in New York. Ethan doesn't like doing crime stories, but sometimes, even as a producer, you have to answer to someone else, and in this case, the network executives want him to look into
Gayle
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the Greenleaf Book Group in return for a review.

Ethan Benson yearns for good old-fashioned journalism. Social media has slowed down interest in such television shows, and the top dog has given the crime department to Ethan. He detests working the crime desk. That is, until he has a case that will ultimately lead to the most watched show in the history of the huge communications company.

Be prepared; it won't be necessary to allow so many pages in order for
Ionia
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved a lot of this book. There is a lot to recommend it, but there were also some parts that I thought could have been better. Allow me to explain.

First of all, if you can keep up with the Russian names in this book, you will be doing okay. So many K names. You can do it--but don't attempt to read whilst you are distracted by other things or they will most likely all blend together.

I liked Ethan as a main character. His struggles with alcohol and trying to impress his boss made him seem
Brenda A
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thank-you
I received this from the publisher, and I am quite happy they did so. There are some little kinks that need to be ironed out, ones you can tell came from a writer who's maybe a little new to novels. But other than that, it's solid.

My biggest beef: too slow in the beginning. I never fully understood why Ethan was an alcoholic, and I was beaten over the head with how much he didn't want to do crime stories. After that, I was considerably happier!

As you might expect, the psychopath low-grade mob
Anne Monteith
Ethan Benson longs for the days when old-fashioned journalism was how people received their new instead of going to a social media source. He’s assigned to the job he detests the most, the crime desk. When Cynthia, the daughter of the deputy mayor of New York is murdered for being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a drug deal that went bad local bad boy Paval Feodor confesses to the crime the powers be are determined to reenact the death penalty. When Ethan’s ordered by the men upstairs to ...more
Georgia hillstrom
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done, finished
am happy I had the chance to read this boo.Received this book from goodreads giveaway. Not usually what I would have purchase but I
From the first page I was into this book. The flow of the writing was awesome, not sticky at all. The author's knowledge of the TV business is evident from the start of the story. Loved the shootout location, the meat packing district in Manhattan. The Rikers Island prison scenes were nerve wracking. The hard reality of true goings on in the police, justice system
Diane
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Live to Air represents something different in the arena of thriller writing in presenting the character of one Ethan Benson, a New York television producer who hates covering crime stories despite his network's preference for them. Assigned to cover a shootout, it's just the kind of work he despises - until unusual circumstances tweak his investigative curiosity and lead him on an unexpected journey.

What makes Live to Air a standout is its puzzle pieces, the fact that its investigator is
Jon
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I approached this book from a different perspective, as I have known Jeff Diamond, the author, for many years. We met when he was the producer of a segment about my (atypical) family on ABC's 20/20. Having had the pleasure of being interviewed by Barbara Walters in a room turned into a studio for a day in the Plaza Hotel, I can state first-hand that Jeff has really captured the essence of the interview. And in the creation of Ethan Benson, a decidedly less polished producer than Jeff, he has ...more
Philip Bailey
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A blockbuster of a story. Written by an award winning investigative reporter, journalist and television producer. A crime being investigated by a TV producer turned investigative reporter and doing what investigative reporters do best, investigate. Grasping a thread of evidence and methodically pulling that thread until the whole cover-up unravels. The author’s experience in television gives the story authenticity allowing the reader to live the moment as if watching an actual hour long news ...more
Gloria
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
First thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the digital ARC.

Gave it 3 stars because I enjoyed reading it. The plot, while really
far fetched especially the ending, kept me interested and reading.
It was difficult for me to keep track of all the characters...esp.
the Russians... and there was perhaps too much detail about some
of them that did not really develop the character.

That said, I thought the writing was characteristic of a journalist
turned novelist. It was really pretty bad with
Carol Keen
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, moffia
The main story was rather good. I was often lost with all the Russian names, but you do get a feel for it after a while. I can't possibly pronounce them though. Ethan has some issues, drinking is one of them. He struggles with his boss, and his family.

Ethan wasn't expecting what he got when he is looking into writing an article and winds up with a case where a guy claims he killed several people. One claim in particular is he is taking the heat for killing the deputy Mayor of New York's
Pattyh
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ethan Benson is a Producer for a New York Weekly program. He is a flawed man - he drinks, he smokes, he gets lazy, but one thing about Benson - he's very good at what he does. In this thriller, Benson and a group of reporters are thrown a story that on the surface seems very clear - A man confesses to a crime of killing an innocent girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seems open and shut, but Benson discovers evidence that looks like a lot of people are trying to cover up.
This
Tammy
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a book that I won and was give a copy of.

It was a very interesting and intriguing book. It held my attention the whole way and I wasn't sure if Ethan the producer of a news program was going to survive. He has personal issues but also needs to prove himself in his work too. He is given a case where the "murderer" has been convicted and he want to get his confession on record before he might be put to death. Then the Russian mob along with people who may or maynot be telling the truth
Chanda Barrick
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ethan Benson is a producer who has a bit of a drinking problem. He's restless and goes through each day feeling as though something is missing. It's not until his latest project that he starts to "come alive" again.

The detail is superb and dosed in the right amount for those of us who are not television produces living in New York. In other words, it didn't go into so much detail that it would go over the average reader's head, but it gave the story life and credibility.

Without giving anything
Sandra
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to me at no charge from the publisher because I had reviewed a book for them earlier.

With a mix of the Russian Mafia, a overeager TV producer, a rich well connected political family and Ethan, just a live on air segment producer with a drinking problem, you have an explosion waiting to happen.

And happen it did.

Ethan got a conviction over-turned, setting an innocent (more or less) man free, and redeemed his place among the greats in television producing.

Very good book, grabs
Marilyn
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of this thriller as an Advance Reader's Copy winner.
I thoroughly enjoyed the fast moving plot and the character development was superb.
It is obvious from the detail about television news broadcasting that the author has vast experience in the field. This makes the story very believable and totally engrossing.
It held my interest till the very end.
I would seriously recommend this book to anyone interesting in an action filled story.
Audrey
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for an honest review...I thought this book was remarkable!! It was a pleasure to read. This book kept me reading to the very end. I couldn't put it down. This book was a gripping story, loved the characters and it was incredible well written. This book gives you a magnificent look into investigative journalism. I will be looking for more books from this author. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to turn out to be a series.
Maria Zuppardi
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is a must read for anyone who loves crime thrillers. Jeffrey's expertise in his career really meshes well with the genre.My favourite part of this novel is the mafia element in it, because duh, who doesn't love the action and added suspense it creates? Read my full review on Word Press now!

• The Dutch House
Jeffrey L. Diamond is an award-winning journalist with forty years of experience in television news who has produced stories for ABC News's weekly newsmagazine 20/20 and ran Dateline NBC, Martha Stewart Living Television, and Judith Regan Television.

At 20/20, his responsibilities spanned every aspect of storytelling--research, budgeting, interviewing, directing, writing, editing, and