Start by marking “The Leaving Season” as Want to Read:
The Leaving Season

The Leaving Season

Middie Daniels calls it the Leaving Season—the time of year when everyone graduates high school, packs up their brand-new suitcases, and leaves home for the first time.

It happens every late August, but this year Middie’s boyfriend, Nate, is the one leaving. Nate, who’s so perfect that she can barely believe it. Nate, who makes her better than she is on her own. Nate, who’s
Published March 1st 2016 by HarperTeen

Start your review of The Leaving Season
Christina
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

**A big thank you to Harper Collins for providing a free copy of this book to me through a Goodreads Giveaway**

"One of our last kisses, I thought, for a full year. I kissed him greedily, swallowing him up with my lips, my hands. Across town, across the country, were other girls like me doing the same thing? It was the leaving season, after all, the dog days of summer, when high school grads went off to college for the first time. Those of us left behind were desperate to hold on, afrai
Sarah Elizabeth

“Miss u, love u, NM4eva.”

This was a YA contemporary romance about a girl who believes her boyfriend is dead, so starts dating his best friend.

Meredith (Middie) was an okay character, and she did seem pretty upset when Nate went missing, but I just didn’t connect with the characters all that well.

The storyline in this was about Middie trying to cope after the smal
Madison
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What happens when you lose the person who defines you? When is it okay to move on? Is it ever okay? What happens when you realise you'd like to be someone else, someone more like you, the real you, the without-that-other-person you?

I really enjoyed his book. I was intrigued to see where it would go, what its focus would be - grief, romance or self-discovery? We get a little of each, but I'm happy to say that it's mainly the latter two. And by then, I was captivated by the story.

Middie is about t
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Yikes!

Not a fan of this story because it was a typical cheese fest. I knew what was going to happen and I kept cheering for the bland, good girl and the 'bad boy but so not bad' to get caught. I'd say this book was a waste of time, but I won't. It did made me reach for my popcorn. I wanted to witness the drama but I was disappointed, again. There was no drama. Every character was cardboard cutout nice and I was glad to be done with it.
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review
This book was pretty cheesy, kind of predictable, sort of love triangley and you know what?? I kind of really liked it. It was quick and cute and just what I was in the mood for.

Meridith, or Middie as she is known, was someone I really felt for, for a number of reasons. Once Nate leaves for Honduras she is kind of lost. When you are with someone that long you can become really complacent. SO when he is gone she starts to things she normally doesn't, spend more time with people she normal
Read InAGarden
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Madeline and Nate are the couple all their friends aspire to be. They have a plan - college, marriage, kids and the happy life. Part of the plan is Nate spending the year after college on a "Doctors Without Borders"-type mission in Central America while Madeline finishes high school. What they don't count on is rebel forces attacking the village where Nate is volunteering and everyone being left for dead. This tragedy devastates Madeline. In her loss, she turns to Lee - Nate's best friend but no ...more
Trisha
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Breathe"

Wow, what a great, heart-wrenching story. Middie has her life planned. Dating Nate, the same boy since middle school, they've now finally made it to their senior year. They plan to go to the same college, him to med school, then marriage and kids. It's all planned.

Until Nate decides he'd like to volunteer for a medical outreach program and the unthinkable happens.

And suddenly, Middie-please-call-me-Meredith's life isn't so organized. It's not so planned out and not so set it stone and
Valerie
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book about Middie and her boyfriend/ soul mate, Nate. Nate decides that he is going to volunteer abroad for a year. When something bad happens, Middie is left having to cope with it. She turns to Lee, Nate's best friend. When doing so she learns more about herself.

I don't want to create any spoilers here, so I am going to leave this review a little bit vague. I enjoyed the book. It went pretty much how I thought it would, but I realized that I like that. If it had gone the other way,
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
I must admit that I requested this book because I really felt like it would be my kind of read what with the contemporary genre, self discovery, a blossoming romance between seemingly unlikely match. But then I saw the Goodreads rating when I marked it as "currently reading" and it's quite a low one; none of my trusted friends had read it yet and it gave me a small fright that perhaps this may end up as a disaster. I decided to still try it at least since the publisher was generous enough to pro ...more
The Leaving Season is a YA contemporary romance.

The narrator is Meredith/Middie Daniels. She lives in the small town of Roseburg, Oregon. She is a senior in high school.

The Leaving season refers to the time at the end of summer when high school grads go off to college and those left behind are desperate to hold on to them.

All I knew about this book before reading it was that Meredith's boyfriend Nate was going away for a year. I hate spoilers, so I don't like knowing the entire premise before st
Amanda
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Allison Brunskill
I really wanted to love this. I was drawn in by the blurb and cover. A strong start and a writing style that completely hooked me made feel like this would be the book I had hoped for. However I found myself unable to connect with Meredith's grief and to a certain extent Meredith herself. The last third of the book just didn't work for me, I didn't feel any sort of connection to Nate or Lee so I wasn't completely vested in the outcome.

I really did enjoy the writing style, I flew through this and
Gwendolyn Kensinger
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
So good! Makes you appreciate life and love and firsts. Full review to come closer to release.
Katherine
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
”What do you want, Middie?
What are you doing for the rest of your life, Middie?
When are you going to go back to normal, Middie?
Normal.
Meaning, back to the person I was.
But why did they want me to be that person? That person was who she was mostly because of Nate Bingham. He was the one who planned everything. He was the one who had life all figured out. Without him...who was I?”

It’s been quite a while since a YA contemporary book made me feel this infuriated. But man oh man, when I was finis
georgia
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
honestly such a lovely read. not many times am i unbothered about what boy they ended up with. nice to read a book where i'm really just rooting for the character and the character only.
Jessica
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars

I wasn't sure how this one would go when I originally dove in, but I have to say I really ended up enjoying it.

"How could I write about an experience that defined me when I had no idea who I was?"

I thought Meredith (Middie) was such a relatable character and she's far from perfect. She makes mistakes. She acts immaturely at times. I liked seeing that though. She's young, she's figuring life out, and most of all she's searching for her identity. For so long she has been defined by her
Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)
This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

The Leaving Season was one of my 2016 anticipated releases. I loved the simplicity of the cover and the description was set to be a fantastic reading experience..... By the rating, you can tell it wasn't the case. I wasn't very invested in the beginning of the story but I will say it was good up until Nate leaves for a missionary trip to Honduras. Okay, I lie. It was good even after he left but then as the description says, a tragedy happ
alice (arctic books)
find this and other reviews at http://arcticbooks.wordpress.com!

Thank you to HarperTeen for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.

THE LEAVING SEASON was a bittersweet, cute read, and I enjoyed it immensely. This novel follows the story of Middie’s life after everyone believes that Nate, her boyfriend, has died. Through this event, she is able to bring out another side of herself and really discover what she wants and how she wants to live her life.

Although Middie’s actions can be
Molly
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Huge thank you to Harper Collins for sending me this book for review!

Soooo I enjoyed this book WAY more than I had anticipated. I went into it thinking it was going to be a sad contemporary read but it was a lot more.

First off I really enjoyed the writing. It just fit with the tone and voice. This book does suffer from some poor pacing, which bugged me and brought my rating down a bit. Things kinda happen in sweeps to accelerate the time line and it just didn't work for me with such an emotiona
Fatima
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Thank you HarperCollins for providing me with an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Leaving Season has got to be one of the quickest reads ever. I was bored at school and decided to just feel the book out by reading the first page, but 50 pages later, I was surprised to find that I was still goin' strong! I couldn't concentrate for the rest of the day at school because all I could think was: "I have to get home and finish this." When I did get home, I ignored my homework and
Kelly Hager
This is the kind of book that I completely lost myself in. Once I started, I couldn't stop reading it. (Instead of sleeping---my work schedule has changed---instead of watching movies, instead of anything, I was hanging out with this book. So be aware of that going in; it's a time suck.)

It's a grieving book, but it's not that sad of one. Even though there are definitely sad parts, and it's obvious that Middie and Lee both miss Nate, it's not so devastating to read. Their grief is more of a regul
Laura's Book Addiction
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
'For the past three months, we had lived in a bubble of our own making, comforting each other, knowing what the other needed, providing what no one else could.'

The Leaving Season is the perfect mix of sorrow & swoon and everything I love about YA novels. Cat Jordan knocked it out of the park with her characters and their story of love,loss and making your own decisions.
L.P. Logan
Okay so 12 hours after finishing this book, I'm left with some seriously conflicting feelings. Overall the book was great, but that ending....it's good and bad, and I can't figure out which way I should feel about it. On one hand it should have ended differently, and on the other hand I'm totally happy with how it ended. I can honestly say I haven't felt this way about a book in a long time. So I'll just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Overall the story is enjoyable. There are moments where you
Allison and Pamela
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was honestly really interested in this story because of the cover. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I had not heard anything about this book so I decided to get it. I liked how the summary on the back sounded. It was exactly the kind of book that I look forward to reading. Even though I knew what was going to happen in the end, I was not looking forward to the moment leading up to it. I still can't believe what actually happened in this book.

I like how Middie handl
Jacquelyn
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was sent an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, I absolutely loved the first part of this book, up until the part when Nate left. When Nate left, the story went totally downhill from there. I wasn't really expecting the plot twist that was revealed and I thought that from there, I would start enjoying the book a bit more. I did for a bit but then, nope.

When I started the book, I knew right away what was going to happen and I knew that I didn't want that to
Renee
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
The Leaving Season is definitely a deeply moving and heart-touching story that really moved me. It was endearing and heartbreaking all rolled into one very well written story! My hat goes off to the author, Cat Jordan and I look forward to reading more of her books in the future.

What impressed me most? How Middie grew into her own while grieving for her lost love. How she found herself, defined herself and after a bit of time, stood up for what she knew was right for her.

This book is well worth
Blair Connolly
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a terrible book, first of the writing was bad. It seemed to jump around and not really keep up with itself. It just would jump from one event to the other without really explaining how it got there. Also the fact that it was pretty predictable. Every single "twist" could be seen from a mile away. It didn't take much inference to know what was going to happen. Also the characters were boring and cliche. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone and wouldn't read anything else from this au ...more
Dzura
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you think your boyfriend was dead and eventually you fall in love with his best friend. I was really relaxed reading this novel until the end. Chemistry between the main character Middie and Lee so really sweet.

Review bahasa Indonesia
Abbey
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
At times almost a 2 star, and though I'm still not convinced I actually liked the story, it does tell an important message about how we feel the need to define ourselves and what happens when those boundaries start to bend.
Erin Lynn
Thanks, HarperTeen for providing a review copy of this book!

Full review to come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Season of You & Me
  • It was Always You (Blakely Brüder, #1)
  • Past Perfect Life
  • The Boyfriend Bracket
  • How to Breathe Underwater
  • The Last True Love Story
  • Keep My Heart in San Francisco
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Whatever Life Throws at You