Start by marking “Chemistry” as Want to Read:
Chemistry

Chemistry

You don’t want to read this book. I’m warning you. This isn’t a heartwarming, boy-meets-girl, high school romance. I wish it were—God, do I ever. No, if you read this, you’re going to be angry… with me, mostly. You’ll probably yell at me, if you’re the type of person who yells at books. You’ll tell me not to be so stupid, but I won’t listen. I’ll be exactly as stupid as I ...more
Published June 10th 2015 by Createspace (first published October 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chemistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chemistry

Start your review of Chemistry
BookCupid
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
"This is what happens when I fall in love. It's poisonous. It's deadly."

Claude Frollo can be described as judgmental, arrogant, and manipulative. He grew up unloved, going from a foster home to a church sanctuary where he finds solace in Valentine, a disabled teen that resides with him. Together, they dedicate themselves to their high school studies. Until Esmeralda appears. If only she would see how perfect Claude and her could be together. He must have her no matter the cost.

Of all the chara
Chantelle
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling
This review can also be found on my blog here.

Chemistry was definitely interesting! That was, in my opinion, solely because of the main character, Claude Frollo. He is Insane, capital I Insane... but I sort of loved it! His passionate, impulsive and irrational nature made the first person narrative unlike any I've read. We got to watch everyone else become heroes while his obsessive, all-consuming love for Esmeralda caused him to self-destruct. He fell into the common trap of believing Esmeralda was mo/>
Aeicha
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Lamm's Chemistry is a modern retelling of the classic The Hunchback of Notre Dame, set in a high school and starring a cast of teenage characters. You don't have to have read The Hunchback of Notre Dame to enjoy this book, but I do think a simple understanding of the classic's basic plot could be helpful when reading Chemistry. You can find a brief summary on Wikipedia.

In Chemistry, Jodi Lamm has taken a classic tale and created her own twisted, intensely dark, and captivating s
Emma
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY CERYS - YEAR 8

Chemistry is a great story with a very different take on Beauty and the Beast. It focus on the story of Claude Frollo, and watches him destroy his life over one beautiful girl, Esmeralda. She turns the characters’ lives upside down, and not in a good way.

My favourite character is Valentine, as I feel like, even though he has been through an awful lot, he still keeps trying his best for people and my favourite part is the very end! I enjoyed the 1st
Nara
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, for-review
Full review can be found here

Before I started Chemistry, knowing that it was going to be a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I was pretty interested to see how closely Lamm was going to make the story to the original. More specifically, since the book is from the point of view of the villain, Claude Frollo, how evil will she make him?

One major criticism I have of the novel is that I definitely had trouble with the suspension of disbelief. Isn't this a contemporary retell
Max Baker
There is no love in this book. There is no hero in it either. Chemistry is a dark book about obsession and beauty. This is a book about horror and redemption. It is as far from a pleasant read as a book could possibly go. It is a twisted fairy tale full of vanity and lust and loyalty and betrayal. And, by God, was it glorious.

Dark YA books are kind of my thing. I love the tone, the drama, and just how real they truly are. These types of books don't shy away from the fact that teenagers can be
Jen Ryland
As a YA book blogger, I get pitched a lot of books to review, and I chose Chemistry for three reasons. First, it's a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I love retellings. Second, the story is retold as a contemporary, and I love contemporary YA fiction. And third, the sample that Jodi sent me had a strong narrative voice, and I love sarcastic, snarky characters.

What did I think? Overall, I really enjoyed Chemistry. Jodi is a talented writer and narrator Claude's voice remai
M.R. Graham
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
The Premise:
Chemistry is a modern reimagining of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, told in first-person, present tense from the perspective of the high school senior Claude Frollo. It tracks his dysfunctional relationships with everyone who looks up to him; his growing obsession with the new girl, Esmeralda; and his downward spiral into self-destructive sociopathy.
The Good:
Chemistry is addicting. I ploughed through it in less than a day, and even when I had to put it down, I stayed caught in
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

I've never read a book quite like Chemistry. It was dark, twisted, and tragic. I was simultaneously appalled and intrigued by the plot and found this book nearly impossible to put down.

I didn't realize at the time I started Chemistry that it is a retelling of Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Now that I know this (after finishing the book), the entire story makes so much more sense. There were times while reading that I was just confused, overwhelmed and shocked at the way t
Marie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of darker YA; fans of Hushed by Kelley York
Chemistry is a dark, haunting story about obsession, jealousy, and love. It’s a modern-day retelling of Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame, set in high school and told from the perspective of the “hunchback’s” best friend, Claude.

Claude is basically an outcast, and he’s ok with that. He has a few close friends and that’s all he needs. Girls don’t interest him…until Esmeralda comes along. Esmeralda is beautiful, exotic, and enchanting, and many of the boys begin to fall for her
Aman
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 30%

Chemistry is a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame and don't feel bad if you're not aware of the original. I had no clue either and when I googled it, I found it very interesting in an odd sort of way, and I read Chemistry because of I was curious to know how the author would pull off this old tale in a modern way.

Starting with something positive, I absolutely loved the writing. It's a first person narrative told from the antagonist's(*) pov with more thoughts than actual d
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Chemistry is a modern day, young adult retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame with an interesting twist. It’s being told from the point of view of Claude Frollo, who by story standards would definitely be considered an antagonist in the original. Chemistry lends a different sort of view on his love for Esmerelda and his relationship with Valentine (who fits the role of Quasimodo).

I’m a huge fan of retellings and I simply love seeing the heftier classics take on a new life in someth
Isabel (The Reader & The Chef)
This was definitely an interesting read. When I heard about "Chemistry", it said that it was based on the famous book by Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. That was enough for me to get me start on it as soon as possible. In my childhood, I remember watching the Disney version of this classic novel so while I was reading this book I couldn't help but keep imagining and classifying the cartoon characters. However, Jodi Lamm's version is not alike at all to the Disney plot.

Thi
Marianna
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Un interessante ma imperfetto riadattamento moderno di Notre-Dame de Paris.
A mio modesto parere, l'autrice rende abbastanza bene (se non forse, alle volte, in maniera un po' melodrammatica) la trasposizione moderna dei personaggi, ma non altrettanto bene le situazioni (difficile quando la maggior parte dei tuoi personaggi sono improvvisamente diventati studenti; nessuno di loro potrà avere le stesse esperienze del libro originale). In ogni caso, una lettura piacevole.
jgkonna
Yolanda Chapa
Jun 26, 2014
Frollo vs teen Frollo 1 1 Oct 20, 2018 07:46PM

• Padeira de Aljubarrota
  • The Loved and the Lost (The Verona Trilogy #3)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Destruction (Lois Lane)
  • Waiting for the Storm (Angel Island, #1)
  • Exposure (Twisted Lit #2)
  • Otherborn (Otherborn, #1)
  • The Shadow of the Pyramid (Shadows from the Past, #4)
  • Press Play
  • Murder (Mayhem, #2)
  • Into the Outside
  • Surface
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Pegasus
  • Voice
  • La compañía amable (La compañía amable, #1)
  • Time Changes Everything (Time Changes Everything, #1)
  • Untouchable (Untouchable, #1)
  • A Divided Inheritance
Jodi Lamm was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, where she currently lives with The Other Lamm, a princess/cat, a parrot/evil overlord, and a variety of musical instruments. She writes for the love of storytelling. She’s addicted to fantasy, ghost stories, and anything with just the right amount of eerie romance.
“Science has failed to save me from myself.” 3 likes