Start by marking “Lion of Macedon (Greek Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lion of Macedon (Greek Series, #1)

Lion of Macedon

(Greek Series #1)

Over and again, the aged seeress Tamis scried all the possible tomorrows. In every one, dark forces threatened Greece; terrible evil was poised to reenter the world. The future held only one hope: a half-caste Spartan boy, Parmenion. So Tamis made it her mission to see that Parmenion would before the deadliest warrior in the world -- no matter what the cost.
Raised to manho
Published December 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published May 15th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Lion of Macedon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion of Macedon

Ahmad Sharabiani
Lion of Macedon (Greek Series, #1), David Gemmell
Lion of Macedon is a historic fantasy novel by English author David Gemmell. First published in 1990, it and its 1991 sequel, Dark Prince, follow the career of a fictionalized version of the Macedonian general Parmenion. The story is loosely based on historic events, but adds fantasy elements such as supernatural creatures and sorcery that become even more significant in the book's sequel, Dark Prince.
As the story opens, Tamis, a sorceress, is se
Artemas
What's the recipe for a fun book?

David Gemmell began with a Spartan base, added some Macedonian spice and Theban flair, then sprinkled in some essence of fantasy, all heated to turmoil with the fire of Hades. Serve at room temperature on a shield of bronze. Utensils optional, though I'd recommend a sarissa.

Mmm. Yummy.

Get your copy here: https://amzn.to/2KHHU2u
Helen
This book markets itself as historical fantasy but really it's a historical fiction with some supernatural elements. Hence my first disappointment. I was also underwhelmed by the characters who were all fairly bland and predictable. Then there was the plot, which consisted of endless descriptions of military manoeuvres and battle formations, all of which went completely over my head (and most people's heads I would assume) and made me wonder why the author felt the need to include this tedious d ...more
Grim
Dec 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys heroic fantasy.
Shelves: top-five
Simply put, this is one of Gemmell's Best. A fantastic read, well thought out and expertly paced.

Parmenion made me research a ton of stories on Ancient Greece(from Epominandas, to the Sacred Band, to Cleombrotus and beyond), and that is the mark of a book that had an impact on me. Shoot I even saw the horrible movies of Troy and Alexander just to get glimpses of characters that he spoke of.

Gemmell was my favorite author, and to me this is his most memorable book(albeit nowhere near the most popu
Andy
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
After enjoying the author’s Troy trilogy I really wanted to pick up another series of his in the same vein & so I plumped for the Greek series......

The story revolves around Parmenion, a Spartan “outcast” for want of a better word & his building hatred of Sparta as they reject him for no other reason than not being pure-blood, his mother a Macedonian.... He rises as a mercenary to become a Strategos (general) & we follow him around the Greek City states & historically I learnt a
Kostas
8.5/10

Back in the early ‘90s, when his career was still growing at the time, David Gemmell, taking a trip to Lindos, on the island of Rhodes, and an experience that proved more inspiring than he expected, started building his first ideas for his next story, bringing back to life from the depths of the Greek history a long-forgotten legend: Parmenion.
And in the Lion of Macedon, the first of the two installments of the Greek series, Gemmell, based on true events as written in history, creates thro
Thomas R.
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
I don't know how I missed this particular of book and am so glad I was made aware of its existence. It rivals the Rigante series in terms of it's protagonist and covers a fantastic period of history that contains some of the most epic battles of all time.

Parmenion is a man without a people. Born to a Macedonian mother he is treated as a second class citizen in his homeland of Sparta despite possessing the very qualities that made Sparta what it is. He is cunning and driven and spends much of his
Marielle
A very enjoyable read. It is dated and it couldn't compare to de Drenai saga for me personally but an enjoyable read nonetheless.
Jane
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This historical fantasy really captured my interest from the first page and held it all through. This is the story of the life of the ancient Greek general, Parmenion, from boyhood in Sparta where he has always been regarded as a misfit because of his mixed Spartan/Macedonian parentage and treated cruelly and unfairly. General Xenophon [THAT Xenophon of the Anabasis ] takes him under his wing and mentors him. When the boy reaches manhood, he leaves Sparta with vengeance in his heart and as a me ...more
Linda Bakker-Zwakhals
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! It was a little slow in the beginning, so my hopes were not that high to start with, but when the story picked up I couldn't help but loving it.

The ancient Greeks with their pride, warrior spirit and beliefs are vastly entertaining
Search
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
4.5 Stars.
Excellent! Though I still feel like I did with Legend that the fantastical portion is the weak link here.
Derae and Parmenion, a continuous tragedy, sigh!
ryan
Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
so sad.... he passed away this year. Was one of my favourite authors growing up, and this would probably be his most well put together novel.
Yannis
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book I was thinking about buying for some years...Read it at last and, boy, it was worth it!

Well, I'll give it a five though it's not a straight 10/10 cause I loved it. What's not to love? Ancient Greece and fantasy. Sparta, Macedon, Law and Chaos, you name it. Parmenion as a Spartan warrior seemed a bit odd, I don't remember this having any historical background. Also some historical inaccuracies here and there maybe but not too many. Actually too *few*! This first part that has little fantas
Jake
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Wow, I found this on some guys site that was named "10 Awesome Fantasy Series That Are Not Potter or LoTR" (btw I hate potter series, sorry Huffalump lovers, but i do love the LoTR motion picture.)and based on this one, looks like ill be reading every book on his list. I started this book and from page one I couldn't set it down. The Author is truly gifted and enjoyable to read. It takes place just after the movie "300" about the spartan hero Leonidas, so if you like that show you will love this ...more
Jack
Jun 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the author, David Gemmell, stuck to the history side, it was a good book.
When he brought in Dark Gods, and witches, and fantasy, I lost interest.
The last third of the book seems to have been just a set up for a sequel.
Not impressed and won't go on to the sequel. One of Gemmell's books is enough.
T. Stranger
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ahh, David Gemmell. I love you. Like all of Gemmell's novels, Lion of Macedon did not disappoint. There was plenty of blood, action and intrigue. The characters are well-written and the plot spot-on. I'll be reading the sequel shortly.
Andrew
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first Gemmell book I read, it's adult and historically-based fantasy about loyalty, belonging and betrayal. Gemmell's gritty obsession with sacrifice and good in an evil world sets him aside from others in the saturated fantasy genre.
William Munn
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: favorites
My favorite Gemmell book. Parmenion is a character with trials and flaws as well as victories and heroism.

Great book by a great author. Rest in peace Mr. Gemmell.

Raqual Humphries
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to the audible version and i never thought i coukd be dissatisfied with a Gemmel novel until i heard this. Dont waste your time with the audible or it will ruin it for you.
The Idle Woman
Gemmell takes as his hero the young Parmenion, half-Spartan and half-Macedonian, who has grown up with the taunts of his fully Spartan peers. Having failed to impress them with his abilities as an athlete, Parmenion hopes instead to make an impression with his strategic intelligence. Facing up against the popular Leonidas (not that Leonidas), as rival generals in a mock battle, he demonstrates a brilliant tactical broadside that goes against all the rules of Spartan combat, leaving his enemy dec ...more
Rebecca
I'd heard quite a bit about David Gemmell's novels from other people so thought I'd give them a try. What interested me about this one was that it's based around a fairly well-known era of ancient history, but Gemmell uses the Greek belief in oracles, gods etc as a way of weaving fantasy elements into the story. We focus mainly on a character Parmenion, who Gemmell's introduction describes as "forgotten", but more recognisable figures are threaded into the story as well.

On the downside, this do
Strider
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first novel by David Gemmell. I thought I will start with a lesser known book and leave the better ones for later. Well, I was wrong to assume that I will get a weaker book, it was a fascinating read. Parmenion was a great character and I really liked how more and more character got the spotlight as the scope of event changed. The atmosphere was nice as well I really felt like I was there with the heroes. I also liked the use of magic, it was really fitting to the overall theme. And ...more
Adam Windsor
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, 2017
Prophecy and magic drives the story here, but it's the non-supernatural aspects I liked the best. Parmenion's struggles and adventures are entertaining stuff. It's really a bit of a shame the whole plotline gets co-opted into the Dark God malarkey.

Plot advancement by death/abuse of female character remains a problematic element of Gemmell's work, it should be noted.
Dean
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a good book. I am not a fan of fantasy, however the fantasy parts of the story were pretty good I have to admit.....Going to take a chance and read the next in this series, however I fear that the fantasy portion will be much prominent in the story, with the history behind Olympus, Phillips wife and mother of Alexander the Great.......
Sally Trotter
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic tale

A fan of David Hennell for many years and a chance to revisit the Lion of Macedon. Mingled with fact and fable the legend of Parmenion , Phillip and Alexander are told great story
Jack Oughton
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
No Pulitzer prizes here, but a very enjoyable book that I found myself reading at a rapid pace. The hokiness of some of the supernatural bits is balanced by David's quite thorough/accurate (I think?) descriptions of the military history taking place.
Kaushik Sriram
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story till it gets muddled by too much fantasy where the book changes from historical fiction to fantasy fiction
John Cheeseman
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
David Gemmell was my favourite author when growing up, "Legend" and "The King Beyond The Gates" are still some of my favourite books so I really wanted to like this series from him which I'd never read, unfortunately it left me pretty cold.
This is a mix of historical fact, fiction with magic thrown in for good measure and I wish he had stuck to either fact or fantasy as the magic part didnt feel right to me and didnt make the story any better.
Personally I enjoyed learning about ancient Greece, t
Catherine
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I'd find a book that I'd possibly like more than David Gemmell's Troy series...this may be that book. The book was well written, fascinating, and had a little bit of everything - action and adventure, fantasy, history. It was a great read and I'm moving onto the sequel! I'd highly recommend to anyone who likes historical fiction and/or anyone who has read some of Gemmell's other works and are a fan.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Men of Bronze
  • Marathon: Freedom or Death (Long War, #2)
  • King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus, #1)
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
  • The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece
  • Sword of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #4)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Dawn Of Empire (Eskkar Saga, #1)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • Leonidas of Sparta: A Boy of the Agoge (Leonidas of Sparta Trilogy, #1)
  • Lion of the Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)
  • Aristotle Detective (Aristotle #1)
  • The Wizards and the Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more

Greek Series (2 books)
  • Dark Prince (Greek Series, #2)
“Do not complain of life's unfairness. It is never fair - at best it is impartial.” 36 likes
“Life is not so simple. There are many futures. The life of a single person is like a great tree: every branch, every twig, every leaf is a possible future.” 14 likes