Start by marking “Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)

Dead Hot Shot

(A Loon Lake Mystery #9)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  405 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Murder never takes a holiday or so Loon Lake learns one wintry Thanksgiving Day. Chief of Police Lew Ferris, short-handed thanks to an AWOL coroner, never even gets the turkey stuffed before the bodies start to surface. By the end of the day, credit card theft and dysfunctional families have so muddied the waters that not even expert tracker and dedicated fishing guide, Ra ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Bleak House Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Hot Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Hot Shot

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
Jeff Dickison
This is the first book by Houston that I have read. A mild murder mystery set in Wisconsin, this book has likeable characters but no real action of any kind. Murders are committed and the lady police chief and her sidekicks talk, talk, and talk again to the suspects. Extremely mild, not exciting at all.
Eileen Lynx
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice thanksgiving mystery.
Renee
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to spending time with Doc, Lew & Ray on my "visits" to Loon Lake. The only problem is, I think I'm working my way through this series too quickly.

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
sarg
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Just finished "Dead Hot Shot" by Victoria Houston
Gave it 3 1/2 stars
This is a "Murder she Wrote ", kind of Murder mystery . The main character is a female police chief Named Lewellen in a small Minnesota resort town. Her sidekick is a retired dentist Named Osborne. A quick easy read with a simple plot, greed,jealousy ,murder.
Kathleen
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
While this is my introduction to this author, I discovered this is the ninth book in a series about Loon Lake in Wisconsin. I liked the maturity of the characters, the twists of the plot and the author's appreciation of a part of the country I know little about.
Dianna
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
A murder mystery set in Loon Lake, Wisconsin. Although #9 in the series this is the first one I've read. It is a very quick read with enjoyable characters, action and snappy dialogue. After all the 'heavy' novels, I was so ready for something light and this fit the bill.
Mary
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this book for my book club. It is a quick read, but very simplistic...not much suspence or intrigue.
Jeffrey
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
not very compelling. nice that it takes place in northern wisconsin. ok story
Alice
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I am loving Houston's novels this summer. They make me feel like I'm home in northern Wisconsin even though I am not there this summer. A great escape and well written mystery!!
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Totally addicted to Victoria Houston books. All the characters are like old friends. Going to head to Loon Lake this summer!!!!!
Karen
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok mystery. Had it figured out halfway through and since it didn't have many twists to the plot it got a bit boring toward the end.
Mike Murray
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
2016 Book #72/35: Yet another enjoyable journey in Loon Lake. I do wish she'd break away from the formula every once in a while, but they're still fun.
Stacey
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
These are fun books with familiar characters.
Michelle
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was checking this book out for two reasons, one the author is from Wisconsin and she bases much of her book story around places in Wisconsin. EX: The Wausau Crime Lab or going to Rhinelander or having a Leinenkugel's. The second reason is I'm trying to find more books that may interest boys. The book I read had mystery, Wisconsin, and fishing and hunting. I'm excited to read more of her books.
Baglady
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: wplc-holdings
adopted native sisters, opposite personalities, one favored by a rich heiress who sets up the girl with comforts and a promise of inheritance; heiress and adoptive mom both dead - find the connection!
Annie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! I am very much enjoying this series
Bryan
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short book (252 pages), with a full well rounded story. Wonderful characters, and great location.
Sandy Block
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Cozy mystery “ in northern Wisconsin. Not difficult reading but enjoyable. Fun distraction.
IslandRiverScribe
It’s Thanksgiving Eve and Nolan Reece is giving an engagement party for her daughter, Blue. Pleased with the party, she takes her nightly stroll down to the dock. Since Nolan has managed to blackmail her only child, a child she has hated since before her birth, into becoming engaged to a man she does not love, she is actually feeling exceptionally pleased with herself.

And being more than a little inebriated, she cannot react quickly to the sounds in the brush that shouldn’t be there. A hard blo
Patricia
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thanksgiving is a holiday for family and friends, relaxing after dinner, and just all around good food and fun. Chief of Police Lew Ferris plans for a peaceful Thanksgiving with Doc Osborne, retired dentist and part time deputy. Doc plans for an early dinner with his family and then a later a leisurely dinner with Lew and hopefully dessert in front of the fire and thoughts of future plans.

First, the death of a local resident intervenes. Nolan Reece is found dead down by her dock early on Thanksg
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Retired dentist Paul Osborne was hoping for a pleasant Thanksgiving holiday with his daughter and ladylove Police Chief Llewellyn "Lew" Ferris despite his irritating houseguests, neighbors who have overstayed their welcome by five weeks during their home renovation. Unfortunately, the drowned body of social royalty Nolan Reece washes ashore just after her daughter's engagement party and Lew finds that she also has her hands full investigating a rash of credit card fraud incidents that all seem t ...more
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Lisa
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Ms. Houston came to do an author chat in my hometown library. She was very nice, fun, and answered questions...even the obnoxious guy in the second rown who told her that, while her first books were sort of "rough," he could tell she'd improved a lot. Note to self: laugh and say thank you, even while turning red.

I forgot that I had already read this one, but I probably would have purchased it anyway.
Grey853
Dec 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Debra
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This series has such wonderful characters and place sense. I don't understand why more folks don't read it. I neither fly fish nor know Wisconsin, yet I feel comfortable in her world. (Well, except for the murders...) On the other hand, a fisherman acquaintance of mine says that she has gotten it just right.
Arielle Gordon
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so love this series! By now the characters feel like old friends. The writing flows really well and it's always so hard putting one of these stories down. Yes, it does include fishing, but not so far as to be off-putting to those who don't. I hope to continue reading about Doc, Lew and Ray for a long time!
Patricia
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Loon Lake Mystery yet and I've liked them all.
Sue
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
V. Houston's newest Loon Lake (N. WI) mystery was perhaps her best. If you like N. WI, fishing, small town mysteries - this series is great!
Susan Baumgartner
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Part of the Loon Lake Mystery Series- this is my first read. Based in northwoods Wisconsin so insiders can chuckle at her jokes a bit more than those with no history in the area. Fairly good plot.
Kcduecker
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I HAVE READ ALL HER LOON LAKE MYSTERIES AND LIKE THEM ALL. KEN IS EVEN READING THEM.

• Arctic Drift (Dirk Pitt, #20)
  • Tailspinner (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #6)
  • Bitch Creek (Stoney Calhoun #1)
  • False Cast (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #5)
  • Take the Bait (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #1)
  • Blood Knot (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #3)
  • Dead Drift (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #4)
  • Gray Ghost (Stoney Calhoun, #2)
  • Above the Paw (Paw Enforcement, #5)
  • The McHenry Inheritance (Quill Gordon, Book 1)
  • Wash Her Guilt Away (Quill Gordon, Book 2)
  • Ice Jig (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #6)
  • Not Death, But Love: A Quill Gordon Mystery
  • Mountain Man (Caleb Johnson: Mountain Man #3)
  • The Daughters Of Alta Mira (Quill Gordon Mystery Book 4)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • I Scarce Can Die (Quill Gordon Mystery Book 5)
  • Shattered (Max Revere, #4)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews