Start by marking “To Thee Is This World Given” as Want to Read:
To Thee Is This World Given

Read Book

To Thee Is This World Given

Provocative Novella Reveals the Complex Humanity of Survivors in a Post-Apocalyptic World

Two strangers intent upon their own survival meet on the road amid a pile of fallen corpses. As one flees the other, their tense and dramatic encounter begins. And over the next 24 hours they will force each other to confront what it means to be human in a world haunted by the dead.

In
Published June 15th 2015 by Eponym

To ask other readers questions about To Thee Is This World Given, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Thee Is This World Given

Start your review of To Thee Is This World Given
Rebecca Gransden
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short novella that takes place in the familiar territory of the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. The story begins in an immediate fashion as we are plunged without explanation into scenes which unfold in a purely physical manner, visceral and out of context.

The following novella is an extended contemplative dialogue between two central figures. The young girl is a spiritual figure and represents elements of the freedom of individual choice and agency. Alternatively, the man who happens across
Kate
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I won this book from a goodreads giveaway.

First of all I would just like thank the generous and thoughtful author for including a handwritten card in my book. It was such a pleasant surprise and kind gesture on the author's part. This book is just over 100 pages. It's a good book to read if you're looking for a short story. The story was intriguing and well-written. I recommend it to those who likes the drama/post-apocalypse genre. Thanks goodreads and Khel!
Abby Lewis
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant little novella, made me wanting more, and a longer story too!
Ed Morawski
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all this is one of the best ebook formats I've ever run across. For once it is logically laid out and it begins where a book should begin: at the title page. I really have to commend the publisher.

Secondly, it is extremely well written. The prose is descriptive and interesting. The characters have no names but are memorable. The author's choice of works is new and refreshing. Sample: "And they shuffled as a group in small clumps and clusters with a sort of coordinated aimlessness..."

But
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Khel Milam's novella, "To Thee is This World Given", is extremely well written. I can see that Milam was going for a very thought provoking and philosophical take on the zombie apocalypse. The characters are intriguing, especially considering there is little to no background given. The novella is written in such a way that it is quite easy to finish the story in one sitting. I believe it is a story that deserves multiple readings in order to grasp the philosophical elements that Milam is ...more
Linda
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This post-apocalyptic novella is a must read in my opinion. The beautifully written story sucks you in from the first and carries you along as it unfolds. It concerns the two main characters, a young woman with two dogs and a cat, and an aggressive man she encounters on her travels. We follow them through a day and a night as one pursues the other, with sinister intent. I read this book in one sitting, then read it again. The author describes a world virtually untouched by the disaster and at ...more
Meagan
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for fans of apocalypse settings, with a dash of zombies, and a heaping side of survival narratives. So basically, if you like The Walking Dead, Mad Max: Fury Road, Fallout, or any of their ilk, read this book.

In full-disclosure, I received a copy of the book for a review, but it didn't sway my opinion at all.

Khel Milam's "To Thee is This World Given" is an addictive and invigorating page-turner. In a very short time, Milam's vivid characters and their harsh environment come off the page,
Carrie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Thee Is This World Given is a rather interesting story set in the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse. The entire novella takes place over the course of one night about a chance encounter with two survivors. A rather philosophical conversation takes place on the ways to survive and what it means to survive.

A thought provoking story as one of the survivor's has the stereotypical "me" behavior of doing whatever it takes to stay alive and the other questions that way of living. The book really
Chester P
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short, engrossing story. I read it in one sitting. Like others have said, it is well written. The author is a true wordsmith. Just one example is how the author seamlessly worked in a conversation about the race to the south pole a hundred years ago. I know it sounds incredible that a book set in a zombie apocalypse would be able to pull off characters talking about Scott and Amundsen, but it does, AND the story about the race was interesting in its own right. Another thing that stood ...more
Rachael
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-reads, arc
***I received a free e-copy in exchange for a fair and honest review***

The thing that makes this book memorable is that it is extremely well written. Milam really knows how to paint a picture with words. However, it is your generic zombie story complete with zombie disaster problems and zombie disaster archetypal characters. For a more complete review, check out my blog, Rachael Reads.

Karen
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
The story centers around a young woman traveling in a zombie devastated world with her dogs.Her encounter with a lone man and his aggression towards her creates a unique twist on the genre.The author drew me into her world and created the tension and sense of danger that kept me engaged.
Kathryn Haggstrom
I received a copy of the novella, To Thee This World is Given, by Khel Milam to give an unbiased review. And let me say, I loved it!

Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down, easily reading it in one sitting. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. But before you flash to images of The Walking Dead or any slasher zombie movie, let me tell you that this novella is set far apart from them. Milam uses eloquent language to introduce us to an extremely desiccated world. A stark contrast. But
Kathryn
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive a free copy of To Thee is This World Given in exchange for an unbiased review.

This tale of an encounter between two survivors in a post-apocalypse world begins with the action already underway. I appreciated the author's choice not to provide lengthy explanation, but to allow readers to experience the action as it happens and draw their own conclusions. The story takes some of the common ideas of what sort of person would be best equipped to survive the
Liisa Stover
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I have been wanting to read this book for a long time, and I finally received a copy directly from the author, Khel Milam, via Amazon. From the first "squeeeeeee!" at seeing this tiny, delicate novella, to the last page of the story, I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of "To Thee is This World Given." The story reads like an episode of my favourite anime, Afro Samurai, or Samurai Jack. Very zen, with a quiet building of action and words (note the quote by Siddhartha, ie The Buddha). The story ...more
Candra Hodge
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about people living after a "dead" apocalypse that focuses on the people and not the dead. Very intriguing and insightful points about our current world/ their "before" world. I really want to know what happens to the two main characters after this story ends even though the focus, I believe, is not supposed to be those specific characters as much as the general "types" of people left alive in this new world.

The author gifted me this book in return for an honest review. I honestly would
Amy Stevens
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book . I like the scene of people working together to stay alive during a zombie apocalypse.. The ending left me wanting more , I hope there will be a second book .. Did the girl live? did she make it where she was going ? I received this book for free for my review , these opinions are my own.
Alaina Maxam
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING SHORT STORY. IT DEFINITELY SHOWS HOW RIGHT DECISIONS CAN BE HELPFUL
April
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a post-apocalyptic novel about a man and woman who meet and travel together for 24 hours and discuss what it means to be human in their post-apocalyptic world.
For me the best part of this book was writing, it was very well written with good use of imagery and made reading very easy as I could imagine the scene vividly and helped me immerse myself in the story.
The dialogue is very believable and was the way we learned about the characters and their views, which brought up moral dilemmas
Christy
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved To Thee This World Given through the generosity of it's author, Khel Miliam. I want to thank her so very much for her handwritten note and the very yummy cupcake!

This novella is set in a post-apocalyptic world and is about the encounter between two survivors who meet and travel together. The story follows the survivors over a 24 hour period as they discuss what it means to be human and what survival means in their new world.

Like so many previous readers, I agree, this book was
Kimberly Seibert
A girl and a boy encounter one another on the road during a post apocalyptic time. But rather than this book focusing on the zombies and living dead, it's more on the nature of the people still alive, in this case the boy and girl, and their survival technique. The author heightens the fact that the boy and girl are strangers by never giving them names.... check out the rest of my review on my blog http://radmouth.blogspot.com/2016/08/...

(Per giveaway guidelines I'm disclosing that I won this
Vince Burr
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful! I'm sad that it's over!
Nicki
Rebecca
Chelene
Diana
Jun 15, 2016
Khel grew up in Texas in the 1980s, but has lived in South Florida on and off for the past 17 years. Degrees in Anthropology and Philosophy and Law, greatly influence her writing, as does her admiration for the works of John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, and Jorge Luis Borges. Despite having intended on being a writer since high school, life seemed to always get in the way. And ...more